+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

wan2no

Jan 20, 2012
Hi there,
I am going to marry next week. Little bit excited as well as tensed about preparing all documentation for successful spouse application. It's Muslim marriage in Bangladesh. I have few
1. Is the application totally online? Can I lodge within 10-15 days after my marriage ?
2. In which events I have to take photos? And is it group with family?
3. What are the documents that I need to collect during whole process?
4. do I need to open joint bank account?
5. How to show relationship ?
6. If I lodge application from dhaka what will be the visa office and if I apply from Toronto for her then what will be visa office ? What's better ? From where I should lodge ?
Thanks

AnnaandJer

Dec 1, 2015
Hi There-

Ottawa VO applicant here - submitted on September 7.
CIC requested RPRF on Feb 8 along with a revised Background Check Form, we submitted both on Feb 8.
In myCiC - status is showing as "background check win progress" however, ECAS is showing "Decision Made"

Any idea which one is correct?

Also - would love to edit our profile name with the details of our timeline, how do I do that? I can't quite figure it out.

Thanks so much!

featherine

May 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2016
Doc's Request.
22-11-2016
AOR Received.
18-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
22-11-2016
Med's Done....
15-12-2016
Interview........
Not needed
Passport Req..
23-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2017
LANDED..........
26-02-2017
^ ECAS seems to be more up to date right now, so as long as the principal applicant is showing DM on ECAS, that should be the more recent information. My husband received his passport request in late January and it still hasn't updated for him.

To add your info to your profile, at the top of the page, go to Profile > Forum Profile Information (under Modify Profile). :D

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
AnnaandJer said:
Hi There-

Ottawa VO applicant here - submitted on September 7.
CIC requested RPRF on Feb 8 along with a revised Background Check Form, we submitted both on Feb 8.
In myCiC - status is showing as "background check win progress" however, ECAS is showing "Decision Made"

Any idea which one is correct?

Also - would love to edit our profile name with the details of our timeline, how do I do that? I can't quite figure it out.

Thanks so much!
Congratulations!!! If I'm not mistaken, that clears out the September Ottawa applicants. Hard to believe we've all gotten to this point.

MyCIC won't change until you've had the PPR and they are mailing the COPR back to you, most likely. Assuming it follows the trend that the January batch of DMs did. They could decide to mix things up again on us, of course.

Patrick H

Nov 17, 2015
Are there delays in processing lately due to refugees coming into Canada or for any political reason on recent events worldwide ?
Slowdowns caused by overload of refugee applications ?

shakiba

Feb 11, 2017
Hello every one, had a few questions about spousal sponsorship application. I am the sponsor applying for my wife:

In the IMM5532 Form:

A. I have already put my wife's info (the applicant) on top of the form. In the other financially dependent people (question 3) should I put her name again or not?

B. In question 4, level of education for sponsor my highest level is Master’s degree (2 years), should I choose university (2 or 6 years?) or post-graduate studies?

C. In question 5, Address history, I was living outside of Canada for the past 5 years and only stayed in Canada for two months. Should I include that two months in the history or not?

D. How many years of my (sponsor) tax assessments should I provide?

E. For applying for open work permit, does it have to be at the same time of submitting the spousal application or could it be done later?

Many thanks in advance for your help

luissuarez

Star Member
Jun 25, 2016
Hello everyone,

Can someone tell me how the linking process works? My understanding is there are two accounts; GCkey and ECAS and ECAS is considered to be updated very often. Which one is possible to link before receiving AOR1? GCkey or both?

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
shakiba said:
Hello every one, had a few questions about spousal sponsorship application. I am the sponsor applying for my wife:

In the IMM5532 Form:

A. I have already put my wife's info (the applicant) on top of the form. In the other financially dependent people (question 3) should I put her name again or not?

B. In question 4, level of education for sponsor my highest level is Master’s degree (2 years), should I choose university (2 or 6 years?) or post-graduate studies?

C. In question 5, Address history, I was living outside of Canada for the past 5 years and only stayed in Canada for two months. Should I include that two months in the history or not?

D. How many years of my (sponsor) tax assessments should I provide?

E. For applying for open work permit, does it have to be at the same time of submitting the spousal application or could it be done later?

Many thanks in advance for your help
A. No, that's just for other dependants(be sure to read the instructions closely. It does say "...those who are not already listed above") Put N/A.

B. A master's is post-graduate.

C. Yes. And don't leave any gaps.

D. I believe they only require the current year, or last year's if you've not yet completed your taxes. However, you will probably want to provide pay stubs or returns to show your support income.

E. It can be done later. The only requirement is that your spouse has valid status(and is living in Canada, of course). The PR application itself does not give status. Remember, though, the work permit takes at least 4 months to get.

Survivor27

Champion Member
May 24, 2016
Planet Earth!
Visa Office......
CEM
App. Filed.......
20.Dec.2016
Doc's Request.
22.Mar.2017
AOR Received.
05.Jan.2017
File Transfer...
13.Jan.2017
Med's Done....
17.Nov.2016_IOM
Passport Req..
19.June.2017
VISA ISSUED...
23.June.2017
LANDED..........
09.Sept.2017
luissuarez said:
Hello everyone,

Can someone tell me how the linking process works? My understanding is there are two accounts; GCkey and ECAS and ECAS is considered to be updated very often. Which one is possible to link before receiving AOR1? GCkey or both?
No linking needed for ECAS. As long as you have your UCI and/or Application Number for the Principal Applicant (PA) you should be able to access ECAS anytime. Using UCI #, you should be able to see both information updates of Sponsor and PA, while if you only use the Application Number, only the PA's information update/s will be accessed. We got our UCI and App Number when my Sponsor received the AOR1.

luissuarez said:
I was wondering how long is the duration one has from getting COPR to land?
The date usually depends on when you took your med exam. If you took your med exam, say, 5 April 2016, and you got your visa or COPR on 1 Feb 2017, you must land on or before 5 April 2017.

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
Survivor27 said:
No linking needed for ECAS. As long as you have your UCI and/or Application Number for the Principal Applicant (PA) you should be able to access ECAS anytime. Using UCI #, you should be able to see both information updates of Sponsor and PA, while if you only use the Application Number, only the PA's information update/s will be accessed. We got our UCI and App Number when my Sponsor received the AOR1.

The date usually depends on when you took your med exam. If you took your med exam, say, 5 April 2016, and you got your visa or COPR on 1 Feb 2017, you must land on or before 5 April 2017.
Not entirely correct. I only log in to ECAS using the application number (never UCI) and my sponsor's date of birth and family name. I am able to see both the sponsorship and principal applicant side. If I use the application number and my date of birth and family name, I am only able to see the principal applicant info. The UCI you get with AOR1 only belongs to the sponsor, the PA will have a different UCI. You either won't see this until later in the process, or depending on your VO, would get it with AOR2. The application number is the same for both the PA and sponsor.

Survivor27

Champion Member
May 24, 2016
Planet Earth!
Visa Office......
CEM
App. Filed.......
20.Dec.2016
Doc's Request.
22.Mar.2017
AOR Received.
05.Jan.2017
File Transfer...
13.Jan.2017
Med's Done....
17.Nov.2016_IOM
Passport Req..
19.June.2017
VISA ISSUED...
23.June.2017
LANDED..........
09.Sept.2017
danawhitaker said:
Not entirely correct. I only log in to ECAS using the application number (never UCI) and my sponsor's date of birth and family name. I am able to see both the sponsorship and principal applicant side. If I use the application number and my date of birth and family name, I am only able to see the principal applicant info. The UCI you get with AOR1 only belongs to the sponsor, the PA will have a different UCI. You either won't see this until later in the process, or depending on your VO, would get it with AOR2. The application number is the same for both the PA and sponsor.
What I earlier said is exactly what I have been doing when checking ECAS. Using the UCI#, Sponsor's last name/DOB - both Sponsor and PAs application updates are available. You are right though on the shared App number by the Sponsor and PA. I just tried the App #, used Sponsor's last name, DOB and both updates came on as well :)

About OP's linking question, there is nothing to link on ECAS but Yes on GCKey.

luissuarez

Star Member
Jun 25, 2016
Survivor27 said:
I did my medical before submitting my application. So a year from the med date? What if they took more than a year to process my application?

luissuarez

Star Member
Jun 25, 2016
Survivor27 said:
What I earlier said is exactly what I have been doing when checking ECAS. Using the UCI#, Sponsor's last name/DOB - both Sponsor and PAs application updates are available. You are right though on the shared App number by the Sponsor and PA. I just tried the App #, used Sponsor's last name, DOB and both updates came on as well :)

About OP's linking question, there is nothing to link on ECAS but Yes on GCKey.
So how can I access ECAS?