+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

xtreemboarder

Jul 2, 2015
Hey guys quick questions. We sent application on Friday and it is still in transit. It's pretty close and will likely be delivered today or tomorrow. My question is, I saw that a visa expiring in the current country of residence as showing intent to return to Canada but today I was issued a new work permit which I applied for over a year ago and it was finally granted. I sent all the documents stating we applied but are still awaiting for the work permit. While awaiting the approval of the work permit they kept extending my tourist visa to allow me to legally stay in Israel. Does being given a 1 year work permit negatively impact our application? Should I notify them some how? I did mention that while awaiting for this work permit our circumstances have changed and we no longer wish to continue our lives in Israel.

Any ideas? Should I be worried?

Thank you.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
xtreemboarder said:
Hey guys quick questions. We sent application on Friday and it is still in transit. It's pretty close and will likely be delivered today or tomorrow. My question is, I saw that a visa expiring in the current country of residence as showing intent to return to Canada but today I was issued a new work permit which I applied for over a year ago and it was finally granted. I sent all the documents stating we applied but are still awaiting for the work permit. While awaiting the approval of the work permit they kept extending my tourist visa to allow me to legally stay in Israel. Does being given a 1 year work permit negatively impact our application? Should I notify them some how? I did mention that while awaiting for this work permit our circumstances have changed and we no longer wish to continue our lives in Israel.

Any ideas? Should I be worried?

Thank you.
worst case scenario, the visa office is going to ask you to provide proof of your intentions to settle in canada upon approval. if/when they ask about it, then be honest, tell them your plans have changed and show them proof of your plans to go to canada. it's nothing to stress about right now. be prepared if it comes up. it's certainly not something you want to point out to them, so wait until they ask about it - if they ever do.

xtreemboarder

Jul 2, 2015
CDNPR2014 said:
worst case scenario, the visa office is going to ask you to provide proof of your intentions to settle in canada upon approval. if/when they ask about it, then be honest, tell them your plans have changed and show them proof of your plans to go to canada. it's nothing to stress about right now. be prepared if it comes up. it's certainly not something you want to point out to them, so wait until they ask about it - if they ever do.
Thanks. We were trying to be exceptionally thorough with the entire application and back everything up. I still have bank accounts, investments, real estate, statutory declarations which state I am welcome to work in a family business owned by my mother and step father (basically a job offer on my return to work in the family business), bunch of letters from friends who are aware of our planned return, and communications with schools for my partners upcoming enrollment, a copy of my mothers real estate registration who will help us find a home, and an explanation of our plans. I guess we just tried to cover every end and maybe even did a good job of that, I wasn't sure about this one but if you say its not a critical item then I will wait to see if they have any concerns.

Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Andynd1uk said:
TRV is a Temporary Residents Visa, it grants you temporary status in Canada meaning that you must leave the country when the TRV has expired. You cannot work under a TRV as far as I know.
This is incorrect. A TRV does not grant any form of status in Canada. It just allows a person to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. Status is granted upon entry by CBSA. People are not required to leave Canada when the TRV expires; they just need to maintain their status.

NicoleAde

Nov 16, 2016
Hello All,

I am new to this forum but i always read from time to time. My husband applied to sponsor me in July 2015, while we were applying he filled that he has never been married nor sponsored anybody to Canada. Today i received an email from the government that he has previously applied to sponsor a lady. When i asked him he said 15 years ago his uncle tried to bring his cousin to Canada using him as a spouse in Calgary but they never sent in any document to process it. He doesn't even remember because he was younger and he never approved of it. Now the government is asking him to explain why he said he has never sponsored any one

Please i need an advise on what response to give the government. we have been married for over a year but we have been living together for 2 yrs+. Should i tell the government his uncle was using him as a fraud as he had no knowledge of it and he doesn't even o if any document was submitted at that time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
NicoleAde said:
Hello All,

I am new to this forum but i always read from time to time. My husband applied to sponsor me in July 2015, while we were applying he filled that he has never been married nor sponsored anybody to Canada. Today i received an email from the government that he has previously applied to sponsor a lady. When i asked him he said 15 years ago his uncle tried to bring his cousin to Canada using him as a spouse in Calgary but they never sent in any document to process it. He doesn't even remember because he was younger and he never approved of it. Now the government is asking him to explain why he said he has never sponsored any one

Please i need an advise on what response to give the government. we have been married for over a year but we have been living together for 2 yrs+. Should i tell the government his uncle was using him as a fraud as he had no knowledge of it and he doesn't even o if any document was submitted at that time.
I would hire a good immigration lawyer stat. This is a very unique situation and the wrong response could land you a 5 year misrepresentation ban.

RJ1990

Oct 3, 2016
United States
Filing out forms (outland sponsorship)

Hi everyone,

I just started filling out the Spouse sponsorship forms and I would like to know what everyone else used as a proof.

Proof of your intention to live in Canada after your spouse become permanent resident.

Thank you!

Andynd1uk

Star Member
Jan 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2016
AOR Received.
01-06-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
10-03-2016
Passport Req..
29-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2016
LANDED..........
10-09-2016
canuck_in_uk said:
This is incorrect. A TRV does not grant any form of status in Canada. It just allows a person to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. Status is granted upon entry by CBSA. People are not required to leave Canada when the TRV expires; they just need to maintain their status.
Erm, "A TRV is an official counterfoil document issued by a visa office that is placed in a person’s passport to show that he or she has met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident."

Source: What is a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)?

So, who's incorrect? The Canadian Government?

agentdi25

May 4, 2016
NicoleAde said:
Hello All,

Get a good lawyer, because immigration fraud it's a big thing. And your sponsor needs to find all documents related to 15 years ago.

Where is this " cousin", in Canada? where is the uncle?

Ash143

Nov 16, 2016
Hello everyone!

I wish I came across this forum before.. if I did I wouldn't have felt so alone and lonely through these 9 almost 10 whole MONTHS!
Long distance is probably the hardest most frustrating thing in this whole entire world. PLEASE DONT GIVE UP OR LOSE HOPE!

Every case is unique and different.

I went to Pakistan in August, and got married on Oct 31st. My flight back was Nov 6th.... what a heartbreaking day it was.
Spent almost a week with my husband hoping to come back and celebrate our birthdays together in Feb!
LIFE definitely gets in the way, its not easy to go back knowing you have things to take care of here!
ANYWAYS... I was referred to a very good consultant who I handed this case to.. just wanted everything to be perfect and didn't
want to take the risk of submitting it myself. Even if a single thing is missing or in completed they return the WHOLE package.

I came back and my husband was still gathering a few of his things..

We received __________ application for permanent residence on January 25, 2016.
We started processing _________ application on March 29, 2016.
Medical results have been received.

"DECISION MADE" appeared beside his name under Permanent Residency (MOST EXCITING MOMENT EVER)
This was updated on 2016-10-25.

I think after seeing DM that's when the frustrating moments get even more intense.. because now you are just waiting for the damn VISA!
THANKFULLY My consultant forwarded an email saying "Congratulations" again BEST MOMENT EVER!
IT WAS THE PPR.. this email was sent today - 2016-11-16.

I will keep you guys updated until he lands here INSHALLAH!

I know that this is the most frustrating thing ever, But always remember the best is yet to come.
Everything will be worth it in the end. Also, I promise those sleepless nights and time difference will feel not so bad once you receive that email!

GOODLUCK EVERYONE! :)

canaussie3014

Nov 7, 2016
Brampton, Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
28-01-2019
AOR Received.
03-15-2019
Med's Request
03-29-2019
Med's Done....
04-4-2019
Hey guys, this is my first post so I'm sorry if I have posted in the wrong place or format.

I just wanted some opinions. I'm in the process of finalizing all of our paperwork to sponsor my Australian common-law partner outland. I have most of our supporting evidence (joint bank accounts, work insurance listing him as beneficiary, a notarized stat dec from my father stating how long we have been living together in my fathers house, several notarized stat decs from family and friends, support letters from friends, notarized stat dec of our common law union, a bunch of photos from many vacations, trips, concerts, sporting events and family events we have taken together, flight itinerary and visas regarding visits and stays in each others country, emails, facebook posts, skype logs etc) My only concern about our application is that while he was living with me in Canada as a temporary worker we both filed our taxes as single. We were unaware of having the obligation to file that way as he only had a temporary resident status in Canada,we were living together in my family house rent free, so we didn't have many expenses, and that we also thought that only those who are legally married would file together. After finding this out, I called CIC and spoke to a few different agents to get an idea of what to do about this. They all suggested the same thing, just to write a letter of explanation and that it shouldn't be a big deal. My other concern, is changing my marital status on CRA. I attempted to change it, and when I attempted to put in the date that we would have been an official common-law couple (Oct 2014) but it gave me an error message. I don't know what to do about that, should I just leave it as single until my common-law partner lands in Canada as a permanent resident?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Andynd1uk said:
Erm, "A TRV is an official counterfoil document issued by a visa office that is placed in a person’s passport to show that he or she has met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident."

Source: What is a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)?

So, who's incorrect? The Canadian Government?
No, just you. You are misunderstanding what that means.

You stated that a TRV grants status in Canada. It doesn't. Status is granted upon entry by CBSA. A person with a valid TRV can be refused entry.

You stated that a person must leave when their TRV expires. Very wrong. A TRV is simply the entry visa. A peon can legally stay in Canada with an expired TRV as long as they are be to maintain their status.

Andynd1uk

Star Member
Jan 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2016
AOR Received.
01-06-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
10-03-2016
Passport Req..
29-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2016
LANDED..........
10-09-2016
canuck_in_uk said:
No, just you. You are misunderstanding what that means.

You stated that a TRV grants status in Canada. It doesn't. Status is granted upon entry by CBSA. A person with a valid TRV can be refused entry.

You stated that a person must leave when their TRV expires. Very wrong. A TRV is simply the entry visa. A peon can legally stay in Canada with an expired TRV as long as they are be to maintain their status.
Okay, but for the eyes and ears of many people who come to this forum looking for advice, I explained what a TRV is, it's a Temporary Residence Visa and this visa grants you temporary residence in Canada. Everything is up to the Immigration Officer, of course, but I was simply explaining what a TRV is, not if it will work for the guy asking the question, just what it is. You do understand this, do you not? Your response to my reply, which is entirely fair, as this is a forum, was quite pedantic because I was explaining what a TRV is, not if it will work. It's comments like yours that confuse people seeking advice on this forum. Sure we see all the stars and that you're a VIP member blah blah blah, you obviously have a lot of time on your hands but I answered a question with the correct answer, I explained what a TRV is, the question - will it grant me access to Canada, was not asked.

And now you've continued with the fact that the TRV (which doesn't guarantee you entry, girls and boys, it only acts as a document that may, may get you in - see Canuck's earlier response) once expired, does not mean you must leave, I beg to differ. Note paragraph below: -

"An officer must not issue a temporary resident visa (TRV) to a foreign national unless they are satisfied that the applicant will leave Canada at the end of the period authorized for their stay. This authorized period must be temporary, because it applies only to temporary residents. Applicants may intend to eventually apply for permanent residence or, in fact, have an application in process, as provided for in A22(2). However, the officer must be satisfied that the applicant will respect the temporary period of stay that will be authorized upon entry.:

Now how's that for being pedantic?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But...YOU said this:
Andynd1uk said:
TRV is a Temporary Residents Visa, it grants you temporary status in Canada meaning that you must leave the country when the TRV has expired. You cannot work under a TRV as far as I know.
There are two errors in the first sentence alone:

1. It does NOT grant status in Canada.
2. The person does NOT have to leave Canada when it is expired, IF they have applied to extend their visa. This is widely known as something called Implied Status.

Regarding the second sentence...a person can in fact work without a permit if they work remotely (via the internet, for example) for a person or company that is not in Canada, does not have Canadian clients and does not remunerate from within Canada.

Show some respect...even in a public forum.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Andynd1uk said:
Was quite pedantic because I was explaining what a TRV is,
And you explained wrong. It's not being pedantic to correct you when you make incorrect statements that mislead people.

Andynd1uk said:
And now you've continued with the fact that the TRV (which doesn't guarantee you entry, girls and boys, it only acts as a document that may, may get you in - see Canuck's earlier response) once expired, does not mean you must leave, I beg to differ. Note paragraph below: -

"An officer must not issue a temporary resident visa (TRV) to a foreign national unless they are satisfied that the applicant will leave Canada at the end of the period authorized for their stay. This authorized period must be temporary, because it applies only to temporary residents. Applicants may intend to eventually apply for permanent residence or, in fact, have an application in process, as provided for in A22(2). However, the officer must be satisfied that the applicant will respect the temporary period of stay that will be authorized upon entry.:

Now how's that for being pedantic?
Not pedantic, still wrong.

One more time, a TRV allows a person to board a commercial carrier. It does not grant status. Upon entry, CBSA grants visitor, student or worker status, i.e. CBSA determines that period authorized for their stay. For example, a Bachelor's degree program student travelling on a single use TRV valid for 6 months will be granted a 4 year study permit by CBSA. The TRV will expire long before their AUTHORIZED STAY of 4 years but they will still be legally in Canada.