+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

hungrypanda

Feb 28, 2016
I am a PR and am getting married in January. I was prepping for a spousal sponsorship and have a few basic questions.
My fiancee is from a visa-required country and has got her visitor visa done. She is working in the US and will only join me temporarily in January for a month. She will return to US to continue working.
However, she wants to join me and start working June.

So, here are my questions:
1. What kind of application do you recommend? - inland or outland. I dont think WP can be applied outland, right?
2. For an inland application, how long will it take for a work permit to come by?
3. She will, because of her job in the US, have border crossings at least a couple of times between January and June. I understand it is not recommended, but the situation demands it. What can we do about this?
4. Does she need a police background check? FBI takes a long time to get back with results. She needs to do that right away if it needs to be done.
5. Does she need a medical check?
6. See if I got the cost right. 1050 for application, and about $350 for open work permit. Missing anything?

Thanks!

PandaChan

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 4, 2016
AOR Received.
July 21, 2016
File Transfer...
August 23, 2016
Med's Done....
June 1, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
PR approved Oct 14, 2016
LANDED..........
Nov 11, 2016
destinedlove said:
Hello, unfortunately I cannot answer your question but my question to you, was your application inland or outland as I noticed that your process was very fast.
Our application was outland. :)

Snowflake4789

Oct 31, 2016
Hi everybody ... Have another question... Let s say I have our old e mails, but the Buber messages after I change card are gone .. But still have all pic from the time between ... Is that a problem! Will they be interested in only conversation between two of us or check every other conversation I had, I don t really want them do read all my personal messages with my husband they are private or with some other conversation with my friends???
Should I just send the one they are not private private ? Smiley

hungrypanda

Feb 28, 2016
Can a spouse (currently living outside) come to Canada only on the basis of "Approval In Principle"? Will she be eligible for a work permit?
How long does it usually take to get an approval in principle for a outland application?

Zole

Sep 1, 2016
Hey guys. Can someone help me to understand what's going on right now. I'm in process for Permanent Resident under the Spouse ... in Canada Class. My husband (Canadian citizen) has been approved for Sponsor almost 2 months ago. They requested me to do medical, in June I think. Then they asked for new Police check just a day after sending him notice about being approved for Sponsor. I did that too. And yesterday I got email, where they say:
"It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class.".
And that final decision will not be made until all requirements have been met (medical, police and background check). So, what to expect next? And since I paid 805$ for application and OWP, where I can find how much I need to pay RPRF when it comes to it? Or they will tell me (if everything goes well till the end, of course). Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hungrypanda said:
Can a spouse (currently living outside) come to Canada only on the basis of "Approval In Principle"? Will she be eligible for a work permit?
How long does it usually take to get an approval in principle for a outland application?
AIP only applies to inland applications - not outland applications. No work permit is granted with outland applications.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
prvc said:
Hi.. I have a spousal sponsorship application (outland) filed this November. I have a question, please. Since we're still on the early stages of the app and while waiting, I plan to visit a dear friend in Dubai this November for a one month vacation. My question is, does the principal applicant (me) have to reside in the home country entirely while the app processes? If not, does CIC need to be informed about this new travel history and the future ones (say a maximum of 3-month vacation out of home country)?

Thank you!
no, the applicant does not need to stay in their home country for the duration of processing. they are free to travel. CIC may ask for an updated travel history down the road, however it is not required to send an updated form unless it's specifically requested. all that really matters is the information provided in the application is truthful and it includes information as of the date it was signed. if cic asks for updated information later, then you would want to comply. otherwise, there is no reason to notify cic of the principle applicant's travel plans.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
prvc said:
Hi. Thank you for that clarification.. I edited my post and included this.. Also, my husband is going to visit me in my home country on December to January for a month. If I have successfully obtained a TRV, can I fly with him on January 2017 on a TRV and live with him in Canada while waiting for the app to finish processing. What do I have to do then when they request for my passport? We are looking at this option because we cannot wait to be together anymore.

Any thoughts on this? Thank you! :)
technically, you can't "live in" canada until you are approved for PR. You CAN "visit" your husband in canada while your application is processing, assuming you are approved for a TRV. it's usually recommended to carry a copy of your pr application and fee receipts in case CBSA asks about it. make sure you use the correct language to avoid issues.

If you do visit canada while your application processes, you can change your address in your file to reflect the canadian address you'll be at. there is nothing wrong with doing this, and it will not negatively affect your file. Most passport request letters these days have instructions for when the applicant is currently in canada, and there is usually an option to send it to Ottawa for processing. you will then be able to go to a land border and land as a pr there, instead of having to fly out and back into canada.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
prvc said:
Oh, I see. Thank you for this wonderful information. So assuming I have a TRV and we both land in Canada, do I tell them I have a pending sponsorship or wait for them to ask about it since I am travelling with my husband? And if they ask how long do I plan to stay, what should I say then? And by 'use the correct language', what do you mean by that? :)

Would TRV refusal cause any negative implications on my app? :)

Thanks again :)
correct language means saying you are "Visiting", not "living". remember, your husband can live in canada, you can not live there until approved to do so.

more than likely they are going to ask you why you are coming to canada. this is a typical question asked. it is perfectly acceptable to say "i am here to visit my husband. i have a pr application submitted". you don't want to say "my husband is moving back to canada and i'm here to live with him" that will provoke suspicion and more questions. again, you can't "live" in canada with only a TRV, you can ONLY Visit! Only answer questions that are asked and don't elaborate. when they ask how long you plan to stay, tell them the truth. the last thing you want to do is get caught lying. it's recommended to have a return ticket so they see you have intentions to return to your home country at the end of your visit, if you haven't been approved for pr yet. as long as you're following their rules, they will be friendly.

no, a failed TRV application does not affect your family sponsorship application. if you have already submitted your PR application and haven't applied for a TRV yet, know the changes of getting the TRV are low, though not impossible.

Annjo89

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
Hi,
Quick question
If applying for a spousal sponsorship outland, while I am in Canada, can I have a status as a worker? My visa I have now expires in May 2017, apply for sponsorship visa in February, and I was thinking to extend my stay as a worker, but don't know if that's possible when I apply from outland?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Annjo89 said:
Hi,
Quick question
If applying for a spousal sponsorship outland, while I am in Canada, can I have a status as a worker? My visa I have now expires in May 2017, apply for sponsorship visa in February, and I was thinking to extend my stay as a worker, but don't know if that's possible when I apply from outland?
No. You would need an employer to complete the LMIA to be able to hire you.

The OWP is only available to an Inland applicant.

Roshna

Apr 11, 2016
Dears,
for out land applications
Could some one tell me how many photos of (50MMx70MM) of the sponsored are needed please?
Do we need to to in include photos of the sponsor?
if the children are Canadian do we have to include their photos too?
If I am sending the package via DHL which address should I send to?

Again appreciate any help

awahidi

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Usa
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
App. Filed.......
11-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
File Transfer...
06-06-2017
Hello everyone,
I've been married religiously to my fiancee about 7 months now since both of us live and study in the usa. She is a canadian citizen and I'm am lebanese. We just got the official marriage certificate from lebanon since we don't want to get married in the USA. I have a canadian visa till the end of 2018 with multiple entries. I'm still confused between going to live in Canada and apply inland or apply from the usa which has a faster processing time. It says the processing time is 14 months now from usa, do you know if it takes less than that since I'm confused in doing a decision concerning continuing my education in the usa or going to canada and apply inland. I lived my last three years in the USA, as I read that the New York Visa office where I would be applying requires a background check filed with the application,so I'm confused where to get the Background check, is it from the FBI, or my home country Lebanon.
Thank you in advance and sorry for bothering you guys-- I appreciate your suggestions.

awahidi

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Usa
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
App. Filed.......
11-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
File Transfer...
06-06-2017
I didn't say that we've been living together as well with her family in the usa

Jameee

Star Member
Nov 21, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-12-2016
File Transfer...
16-12-2016
In Sponsor Questionnaire form
8. Have you resided in countries other than Canada?

Should I give only home country info here? Or should I must give all countries that i had visited or even worked (earlier before Canada, I was on work permit for 2 years in another country, even visited few other on tourist visa)?

If, I have to state home country alone as previous residence; do I need to provide each of the addresses. I had stayed in different addresses in same city. Or should I give last address of residence alone from home country.

Please suggest.