+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

phil832

Apr 29, 2016
Hi everyone.

I have a question.

If I send my papers the first May. How long until my wife can come to VISIT me ? She is from Japan so there is no specific visa required.

I heard that you have to be approved as a sponsor before she comes to see you, or else she could be refused at the gates. is that true ? So we need to wait about 1 or 2 months ?

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
phil832 said:
Hi everyone.

I have a question.

If I send my papers the first May. How long until my wife can come to VISIT me ? She is from Japan so there is no specific visa required.

I heard that you have to be approved as a sponsor before she comes to see you, or else she could be refused at the gates. is that true ? So we need to wait about 1 or 2 months ?
She can come visit whenever she wants. Just make sure that it's clear she's only visiting you, not moving. Don't even mention the PR application unless they ask. It's completely fine to say that you have a PR application in process if they ask. You don't need SA either. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/dual.asp

phil832

Apr 29, 2016
OK ! It's just I was thinking that if they see that she is on a << 6 months round trip flight ticket >> they may ask questions.

Border; What are you coming to Canada for ?

Wife; Visit my husband ?

Border; 6 months ? Are you sure you go back to your country after ? o_0

sevensmallwoods

Star Member
Feb 25, 2016
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
06-09-2017
Doc's Request.
01-11-2017
AOR Received.
31-10-2017
CIC has just sent us an email requesting a police clearance for my Japanese wife from the Philippines as she lived there for year. The email stated that "the documents must be received in our office within 30 days from the date of this letter" and then said "Please reply directly to this email and put your application number in the title".

We're a little concerned about being able to submit the documents within the 30 days as my wife must travel to Tokyo to do the clearance paperwork at the Philippines embassy in Japan (which she can only do this coming Friday as she needs to take time off work to travel there) where this paperwork then gets sent to the Philippines to get processed, and then sent back to us in Japan. We're really not sure if this can get done within the 30-day time frame given (although we've seen that the turnaround time could be as fast as 2 weeks), so we wrote back to CIC (at the email address provided) explaining our case. We immediately got an auto-reply saying that they cannot process our email right away and that "the turnaround time for a response is of 10 business days." We also wrote to CIC as a case specific enquiry explaining the same thing.

CIC also says in the email that "If we do not receive a response within the time allotted to you from the date of this notice, a decision will be made based on the information on your file, which could result in the refusal of your application." By writing to them and explaining our situation, does this count as a "response", or is the "response" sending a reply with the documents requested.

Just a little confused about all of this. Any thoughts or suggestions?

TL;DR: Will our application get tossed in the bin if we don't send requested police documents within the required timeframe for a response, or is any kind of response considered a "response" so nothing happens to our application (minus a delay in processing)?

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
phil832 said:
OK ! It's just I was thinking that if they see that she is on a << 6 months round trip flight ticket >> they may ask questions.

Border; What are you coming to Canada for ?

Wife; Visit my husband ?

Border; 6 months ? Are you sure you go back to your country after ? o_0
They'll ask most likely yes, but volunteering extra information can also be a red flag. They will most likely ask at that point if she is being sponsored by you or something along those lines. She can definitely be truthful that she is visiting you while her application for permanent residence processes. (and remember, she shouldn't have more than a couple bags) There's a chance that she may be refused entry if you catch the officer on a bad day, but they tend to be very lenient if there's an application in process. Make sure she brings proof of PR fees and that you've mailed the application along with any correspondence you've gotten from the CIC (AOR, SA, etc). When I came to visit my husband we did need to go in for a secondary, but they didn't even ask to see proof of anything. They just checked my bags with an x-ray, looked up our passports in their databases, asked a few questions and said we were good to go. I can't guarantee that she won't have any issues, but I can tell you that since she is visa-exempt the chances are probably low.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
sevensmallwoods said:
CIC has just sent us an email requesting a police clearance for my Japanese wife from the Philippines as she lived there for year. The email stated that "the documents must be received in our office within 30 days from the date of this letter" and then said "Please reply directly to this email and put your application number in the title".

We're a little concerned about being able to submit the documents within the 30 days as my wife must travel to Tokyo to do the clearance paperwork at the Philippines embassy in Japan (which she can only do this coming Friday as she needs to take time off work to travel there) where this paperwork then gets sent to the Philippines to get processed, and then sent back to us in Japan. We're really not sure if this can get done within the 30-day time frame given (although we've seen that the turnaround time could be as fast as 2 weeks), so we wrote back to CIC (at the email address provided) explaining our case. We immediately got an auto-reply saying that they cannot process our email right away and that "the turnaround time for a response is of 10 business days." We also wrote to CIC as a case specific enquiry explaining the same thing.

CIC also says in the email that "If we do not receive a response within the time allotted to you from the date of this notice, a decision will be made based on the information on your file, which could result in the refusal of your application." By writing to them and explaining our situation, does this count as a "response", or is the "response" sending a reply with the documents requested.

Just a little confused about all of this. Any thoughts or suggestions?

TL;DR: Will our application get tossed in the bin if we don't send requested police documents within the required timeframe for a response, or is any kind of response considered a "response" so nothing happens to our application (minus a delay in processing)?
Please, don't post this in multiple threads.

Don't wait for the CIC to respond before attempting to obtain the PCC. Go ahead and try to get it. You've already done what you're supposed to by emailing the CIC and letting them know that it will take time for you to get it. They may or may not give you more time (most likely an additional 30 days).

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
phil832 said:
Thanks Decoy, you are a cool person.
No problem, and thank you ;D. I was pretty confused and anxious about the whole process when I joined this forum last August. I know what it's like.

phil832

Apr 29, 2016
What about if my wife lived in the phillipines for 6 months and 3 days.

Should we just write 5 months and 28 days on the document ? There is no way to prove it so it is ok right ?

It would save us a lot of hassle.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
phil832 said:

Should we just write 5 months and 28 days on the document ? There is no way to prove it so it is ok right ?

Hmm, I would definitely try to get a PCC from there just in case. It would be considered misrepresentation if they found out you lied about how long you were in the Philippines. Since it's still a bit over 6 months they would probably still ask for a PCC for when the principal applicant lived there. Definitely don't lie about how long you were there though. I wouldn't risk it. If you do go decide to get the PCC, do it as soon as possible.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
phil832 said:

I agree with Decoy - CIC aren't that daft, especially if you put only 2 days less than the 6 months. They could make her prove this which could result in a 5 year ban.

canadafsw2015

Nov 10, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-02-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1: 17-03-2016 SA: 21-03-2016 AOR2: 31-03-2016
File Transfer...
21-03-2016
Med's Done....
11-12-2015
Passport Req..
DM: 08-05-2016 PPR: 11-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2016
12th Feb 2016 applicant
NDVO
DM over the weekend..checked today...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Am I dreaming??

erable_rouge

Mar 5, 2014
Ontario
App. Filed.......
29-04-2016
Doc's Request.
05-31-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1:- 1 June 2016 ; AOR2:- 29 June 2016
IELTS Request
Sent with application
LANDED..........
3 Aug 2017
canadafsw2015 said:
12th Feb 2016 applicant
NDVO
DM over the weekend..checked today...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Am I dreaming??

I know, it's too hard to believe ! But, it shows, it must be true!

Congratulations!!!!!