Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
devilsofnj said:
Question, or two here:

If my girlfriend were to receive a multiple-entry temporary residence visa this year and we were to end up getting married in her home country, Philippines, sometime next year, could she still come into Canada as my wife on the same TRV? If so, could I apply for inland sponsorship for her?
Yes - she can do that. And yes - you can sponsor her inland.

devilsofnj

Star Member
Feb 6, 2016
Vancouver Island
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
scylla said:
Yes - she can do that. And yes - you can sponsor her inland.
Thank you. If she does that, does she need to be upfront at immigration in the airport about the fact that she is coming back to Canada with the intention of being sponsored inland? Do I need to submit the IMM 5481 form before she comes back?

Also, I assume since she'd be given the visa under her current name, once we marry we should hold off her having her last name changed until she arrives here at the very least?

kau

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Family/Spousal Sponsorshp
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 April 2016
AOR Received.
4 May 2016
Med's Done....
29 March 2016
Finally send my package today. Fingers crossed.! A phase ended and new one starts.

Good luck everybody who is waiting for updates

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
devilsofnj said:
Thank you. If she does that, does she need to be upfront at immigration in the airport about the fact that she is coming back to Canada with the intention of being sponsored inland? Do I need to submit the IMM 5481 form before she comes back?

Also, I assume since she'd be given the visa under her current name, once we marry we should hold off her having her last name changed until she arrives here at the very least?
She should simply state the same reason as on her TRV, I assume to visit Canada. She doesn't need to volunteer extra information.

Every form must be submitted together, both the applicants and sponsors. Do not submit forms in advance. Every document must be in the same package.

It would probably help to just keep her last name until after the PR process, so she doesn't need a new passport. I assume that is a hassle to get when in Canada, but not sure about the details on that. It won't have any effect on her PR application however.

milan.fit

Apr 12, 2016
Hi all,

I have a quick logistic question also. We want to go to Canada using my foreign passport and stay on a visitor status. Once we're in Canada we want to start the sponsorship application (wide canadian). Is there any risk when crossing the border? As in should we state to customs officer what our plans are or just cross saying we're going for extended vacation?

Our application once we're in Canada is pretty solid and there is little risk of rejection but my biggest worry is what to say at customs - we will cross overland.

Also - we have 2 children who are Canadians by descent but we don't have their citizenship certificates yet so all they have is their American passports. I figured we can just apply for their certificates once in Canada and we don't have to include them on the application for my PR. Correct?

devilsofnj

Star Member
Feb 6, 2016
Vancouver Island
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
Aquakitty said:
She should simply state the same reason as on her TRV, I assume to visit Canada. She doesn't need to volunteer extra information.

Every form must be submitted together, both the applicants and sponsors. Do not submit forms in advance. Every document must be in the same package.

It would probably help to just keep her last name until after the PR process, so she doesn't need a new passport. I assume that is a hassle to get when in Canada, but not sure about the details on that. It won't have any effect on her PR application however.
Thank you kindly for this,

I've never done this before, so I am curious, once you have a TRV and you go through immigration at an airport are you screened pretty hard? Aren't they going to ask you how long you're going to stay for etc? So if she shows up here with all her belongings but has a return ticket and says she's going back in three months isn't that risky? To be honest, she'll doesn't have much that she'd be bringing here anyway. It isn't like the Philippines has the same weather as Canada, so clothes wise she'll be having to buy warmer stuff haha.

rmv

Star Member
Dec 15, 2015
My application is almost done and just waiting for sending it. Only Notice of assessement missing.
It reads now they only ask it, not Option C. But if we compare year 2014 and 2015 noa, those looks totally different?

CIC says this in the new layout for noa since February 2016, so I believe we can trust to it and print it from own CRA account?
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/gncy/ntcslttrs/menu-eng.html

And if my husband have owing to government, do it have any effect for spousal sponsorship process? Amount is under thousand and he have paid already something for it.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
devilsofnj said:
Thank you kindly for this,

I've never done this before, so I am curious, once you have a TRV and you go through immigration at an airport are you screened pretty hard? Aren't they going to ask you how long you're going to stay for etc? So if she shows up here with all her belongings but has a return ticket and says she's going back in three months isn't that risky? To be honest, she'll doesn't have much that she'd be bringing here anyway. It isn't like the Philippines has the same weather as Canada, so clothes wise she'll be having to buy warmer stuff haha.
Well for one, she shouldn't be showing up with all her belongings. You are correct about the screening, to the CBSA she's a visitor and should look like one. She can bring what she would for a normal trip. It's not risky to say how long she plans to stay, don't lie, but then, as is often explained here, "plans change" so you don't need to volunteer information. She can plan to stay for 3 months but end up staying longer, that's not wrong at all. Never lie if they ask something specific though.

It's confusing, but you are allowed to come to Canada to apply for permanent residence, but you have to also satisfy the visiting requirements. It's called "dual intent".

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
rmv said:
My application is almost done and just waiting for sending it. Only Notice of assessement missing.
It reads now they only ask it, not Option C. But if we compare year 2014 and 2015 noa, those looks totally different?

CIC says this in new layout for noa, so I believe we can trust to it and print it from own accountn in CRA?
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/gncy/ntcslttrs/menu-eng.html
Yes you can send the one you print from your CRA account, they are the same thing. The Option C is just a more detailed NOA.

rmv

Star Member
Dec 15, 2015
Aquakitty said:
Yes you can send the one you print from your CRA account, they are the same thing. The Option C is just a more detailed NOA.
Thanks. It just look so simple, just few sentence in it.

milan.fit

Apr 12, 2016
Aquakitty said:
It's confusing, but you are allowed to come to Canada to apply for permanent residence, but you have to also satisfy the visiting requirements. It's called "dual intent".
Can you elaborate on that please? what visiting requirement does one have to satisfy? where can i read more about being allowed to come to Canada to apply for PR?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
milan.fit said:
Is there any risk when crossing the border? As in should we state to customs officer what our plans are or just cross saying we're going for extended vacation?

Also - we have 2 children who are Canadians by descent but we don't have their citizenship certificates yet so all they have is their American passports. I figured we can just apply for their certificates once in Canada and we don't have to include them on the application for my PR. Correct?
There is always risk but it depends on each individual situation. Are you American? If so, you should be submitting an outland app from the US. It is a far better choice than applying inland. CBSA also tends to be more lenient at the border if you've applied for PR.

You should apply for their certificates ASAP. Without proof of citizenship, you may face issues with things like healthcare in Canada.

milan.fit

Apr 12, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
There is always risk but it depends on each individual situation. Are you American? If so, you should be submitting an outland app from the US. It is a far better choice than applying inland. CBSA also tends to be more lenient at the border if you've applied for PR.

You should apply for their certificates ASAP. Without proof of citizenship, you may face issues with things like healthcare in Canada.
I'm not American. I am a US PR though. I need to apply inland as I need a work permit asap after arriving. My wife would apply at the beginning of July for my PR and OWP and I was hoping to be granted OWP before end of the year. She was also going to arrive in Canada ahead of me so that she can take care of other formalities like accommodation, banking, etc

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
milan.fit said:
I'm not American. I am a US PR though. I need to apply inland as I need a work permit asap after arriving. My wife would apply at the beginning of July for my PR and OWP and I was hoping to be granted OWP before end of the year. She was also going to arrive in Canada ahead of me so that she can take care of other formalities like accommodation, banking, etc
You will not get a work permit ASAP after arriving. You must be in Canada before submitting the inland app, so you will be here for 4-5 months before you can work.

What is your nationality?

milan.fit

Apr 12, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
You will not get a work permit ASAP after arriving. You must be in Canada before submitting the inland app, so you will be here for 4-5 months before you can work.

What is your nationality?
I'm sorry for confusion. By ASAP i meant as soon as possible which in this case obviously is 4-5 months.

I'm Polish