+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

disBrew

Nov 23, 2015
Hello dear friends. I have a couple of questions regarding sponsoring my girlfriend-soon-to-be-wife to come here to canada. I recently became a permanent resident, and I currently reside in Québec. I hope someone out there can help me

1 - She currently have a visitor visa. If we apply outland, can she normally come to Canada, while the process go on?
2 - I'll go back home so we fix all this. Should this be the case, and we apply outland, can I come back to Canada before the process is finished?
3 - Recently the processing times in the CIC website changed. Before, it was stating something around 6 months to process a family sponsorship in my country. Now, it's a unified 17 months, no matter what. Is this just an average worldwide, or is it a new way to process all applications that would really take roughly 17 months?

Thank you very much all people out there who could help.
:)

canus77

Mar 14, 2016
disBrew said:
Hello dear friends. I have a couple of questions regarding sponsoring my girlfriend-soon-to-be-wife to come here to canada. I recently became a permanent resident, and I currently reside in Québec. I hope someone out there can help me

1 - She currently have a visitor visa. If we apply outland, can she normally come to Canada, while the process go on?
2 - I'll go back home so we fix all this. Should this be the case, and we apply outland, can I come back to Canada before the process is finished?
3 - Recently the processing times in the CIC website changed. Before, it was stating something around 6 months to process a family sponsorship in my country. Now, it's a unified 17 months, no matter what. Is this just an average worldwide, or is it a new way to process all applications that would really take roughly 17 months?

Thank you very much all people out there who could help.
:)
How soon will she be your wife? Are you applying now as common law? Or after you are married?
Where does she live? Where are you from?
Each VO should have different processing times listed..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kau said:
1. Do we need to apply for PCC, as police verification recently has been done?

2. We have mentioned Current and permanent addresses same in Generic form, but my husband works in Gurgaon and while giving them last 10 year detail we have mentioned Gurgaon address as well, So do we need to get PCC from Gurgaon as well?
1. Applying for a foreign passport has nothing to do with applying for a PCC for a Canadian immigration app, so of course you still need one.

2. You only need one PCC for the country.

disBrew said:
Did you live with your partner before you became a PR?

1. Yes, she can come to Canada on her TRV while the outland app processes.

2. As a PR, you MUST be residing in Canada throughout the entire sponsorship process. You can take a few short trips, no more than a couple of weeks.

3. The 17 months is a worldwide processing time. It will not take that long.

Stuntxd9

May 4, 2015
Visa Office......
KNGVO
App. Filed.......
April 2016
LANDED..........
Feb 2017
Question guys...can u still submit a Outland Spousal Application if all the application forms were signed over 90 days ago?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Stuntxd9 said:
Question guys...can u still submit a Outland Spousal Application if all the application forms were signed over 90 days ago?
I suppose so, just make sure that CIC hasn't updated any of the forms (even those that did not require signatures)...which they do fairly often.

Stuntxd9

May 4, 2015
Visa Office......
KNGVO
App. Filed.......
April 2016
LANDED..........
Feb 2017
Ponga said:
I suppose so, just make sure that CIC hasn't updated any of the forms (even those that did not require signatures)...which they do fairly often.
Thanks much

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
ImABule said:
Alright, so I will try to explain this situation as briefly as possible.

In Indonesia it is legal to have more than one wife unless you are a civil servant. My father in law is a government employed school teacher. He used a fake ID in order to take a second wife several years ago. Legally he has one given name, on this fake ID he has a second given name on it. He does not talk about his other family with my wife and so my wife was until recently unaware of this fake ID. We included my wife's half siblings' information given to us by her father as we should in form IMM5406. After sending in our application my wife obtained a copy of her father's family card from her father to verify all the information for this second family and noticed the different name. She also realized that we did not include the two previous children this second wife had as step siblings. We have since filled out a new form with the two step siblings and written a cover letter explaining the situation in full and we are waiting for AOR and a file number before sending it in. The legality in this second marriage is something neither of us understand and we explained that we want to include the "step siblings" even if it's found that legally they aren't step siblings at all and that we want CIC to have all the necessary information. We explained that it was an oversight that they weren't included in the original form as my wife has never had any contact with either of them and only has name, dob etc. because of the information on the family card.

Now, I know we are doing the right thing in updating and disclosing this information honestly, what I want to know is if anyone has any idea how long my wife and I can expect disclosing the fact that her father had a second marriage based on an alternate identity to delay the processing of our application. I imagine the background check run on her family will take much longer. Could that result in an interview? It's a shame that the decisions of my father in law will have such an impact on the lives of my wife and I.
Since you aren't planning to sponsor her parents, this shouldn't have an effect on her. She can't be held responsible for her father's infidelity. I'm not even sure it's necessary to include these step-children on the form. Did her father even legally adopt them?

Mrschino

Feb 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2015
Doc's Request.
13-01-2016
AOR Received.
None...
File Transfer...
24-05-2015
Med's Request
17-02-2016
Med's Done....
19-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-03-16
LANDED..........
16-04-16
Does anybody know how long it takes to get the passport returned with visa after COPR??

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Mrschino said:
Does anybody know how long it takes to get the passport returned with visa after COPR??
Depends on your VO, and your country's mail delivery system. Ask in the Mexico thread.

AminZ_2000

May 28, 2014
Hi All,

I am a Canadian citizen and work in the Middle East. I want to sponsor my wife to immigrate to Canada. I checked the CIC site and it says that the sponsorship forms will go to Abu Dhabi visa office and the process may take up to 17 months.

My situation,

1) I do not own any property in Canada or have any property rental agreement or lease or any other attachments.
2) I just have my bank account in Canada that I kept for future use
3) There is no way to find a job in Canada while the sponsorship process takes up to 17 months, nor willing to relocate to Canada to start any job without my wife.

My Plan (intention),

1) Complete the application to sponsor my wife and send the forms to Canada
2) Once approved, go to Canada with my wife for landing and then apply for her PR card
3) Get back home, finalize things (takes few months), then back to Canada with my wife to start our life there.

Questions,

Has anybody been in similar situation?
What do you guys provide as evidence to show intent to relocate to Canada, taking into consideration the long time the sponsorship process takes?

Thanks

Tolexmi

Jun 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-Sept-2015
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
23-Oct-2015
File Transfer...
09-Nov-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-May-2016
VISA ISSUED...
3-June-2016
LANDED..........
14th July 2016.
AminZ_2000 said:
Hi All,

I am a Canadian citizen and work in the Middle East. I want to sponsor my wife to immigrate to Canada. I checked the CIC site and it says that the sponsorship forms will go to Abu Dhabi visa office and the process may take up to 17 months.

My situation,

1) I do not own any property in Canada or have any property rental agreement or lease or any other attachments.
2) I just have my bank account in Canada that I kept for future use
3) There is no way to find a job in Canada while the sponsorship process takes up to 17 months, nor willing to relocate to Canada to start any job without my wife.

My Plan (intention),

1) Complete the application to sponsor my wife and send the forms to Canada
2) Once approved, go to Canada with my wife for landing and then apply for her PR card
3) Get back home, finalize things (takes few months), then back to Canada with my wife to start our life there.

Questions,

Has anybody been in similar situation?
What do you guys provide as evidence to show intent to relocate to Canada, taking into consideration the long time the sponsorship process takes?

Thanks

Intent to relocate:1. Letters from family members who intend to provide u with accommodation until u get the family settled.

2. Write a letter indicating how you have made a few applications to a few places in Canada. IMO

Good Luck!

disBrew

Nov 23, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
1. Yes, she can come to Canada on her TRV while the outland app processes.

2. As a PR, you MUST be residing in Canada throughout the entire sponsorship process. You can take a few short trips, no more than a couple of weeks.

3. The 17 months is a worldwide processing time. It will not take that long.
Very clear canuck, thank you very much. About item 2:
My plans were to go back to my country for 5 months, when we'd marry and we'd start her application. I would come back to Canada then. So, based on what you said, it's best to marry closer to my way out of my home country? I was planning to get there and marry, so we could apply immediately for the immigration process. Would you have any advice concerning this? All in all, I'll go there and spend 5 months there, and come back to Canada. So, I have 5 months to get all going.

Fawzietrim

Dec 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-03-2016
Doc's Request.
15-04-2016
AOR Received.
AOR2:13-04-2016
File Transfer...
22-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront/15-03-2016
Passport Req..
06-05-2016
disBrew said:
My plans were to go back to my country for 5 months, when we'd marry and we'd start her application. I would come back to Canada then. So, based on what you said, it's best to marry closer to my way out of my home country? I was planning to get there and marry, so we could apply immediately for the immigration process. Would you have any advice concerning this? All in all, I'll go there and spend 5 months there, and come back to Canada. So, I have 5 months to get all going.
Get martied whenever you want and when you return to canada submit the application

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
disBrew said:
You can marry early in the stay but you need to be in Canada when you submit the sponsorship app.