Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
cgt_13 said:
Hi,

My boyfriend of 3 years has been living in the US illegally for about 5 years now. He first entered the States on a tourist visa and long overextended his stay. I am a Canadian citizen and we are going to be married in a few months. I want to sponsor him to come to Canada but I was wondering if it would be possible to do that when he is currently living illegally in the US? Him moving back to his home country is not an option we want to even consider so our only option is for him to apply from the US. I read that he would need a police clearance. He has no criminal record but we are worried that if they find out that he has been living in the US illegally, they will deport him. I just want to know how risky it will be for him and what other procedures we need to know. Any tips or advice will really help and will be much appreciated.
Yes - he will need a police clearance from the US (it's mandatory to be approved for Canadian PR) - this should not cause him to be deported. He will also need a police certificate from his home country and any other country he has lived in for six months or more since turning 18. Make sure you are 100% honest about his immigration history and illegal status in the US in your application. If you are not - this will create big problems for his application and most likely result in a refusal and ban from Canada. Note there is a chance CIC will decide to process his application through the visa office responsible for his home country rather than the US. If this happens and an interview is required, that interview will be held in his home country rather than the US (interviews are not required for all applications). He will need a valid passport to be approved for Canadian PR. So this is something else you'll need to make sure he has before you even submit the sponsorship application.

Owl29

Nov 28, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-12-2015
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
05-10-2015
Interview........
18-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2016
LANDED..........
06-04-2016
Hello,

I have a question about my 10 years address history. The thing is I moved quite a lot in my life and I don't recall all the addresses. I wasn't keeping detailed track of them and as I wasn't the lease holder anyway there is no paper trace of it. I am trying to remember, but I am pretty sure I won't be able to recall exact dates and addresses. Is it enough to leave one address from each country or is it super important to recall every little detailed? I know there can't be left any gaps in history, but as I said, I don't have paper traces anyway. This part is really confusing. I will try to recall as much as I can with aprox. dates, so I hope it will be enough. I envy people who lived in one address now :D

bigredmoose

Dec 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, AUS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
AOR Received.
24-12-2014
File Transfer...
06-01-2015
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
27/04/2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
08/07/2015
honeymelon said:
How long it takes for the interview link isn't loading for me. I'm planning on applying for outland sydney australia and if I am required for an interview, how long do I have to wait. Does my spouse need to be with me?
You don't get to pick where your application is handled anymore. The whole package goes to Mississauga, Ontario and they decide from there what to do with it. Assuming the applicant is, in fact, Australian the chances of an interview are infinitesimal.

faisalmohamed

Star Member
Jul 9, 2015
Brampton
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2015
AOR Received.
14-12-2015
Med's Request
28-12-2016
Med's Done....
01-10-2015
Interview........
28-12-2016 (Phone)
Passport Req..
16-01-2017
LANDED..........
01-05-2017
Hello Everyone!

Just would like to appreciate the amount of great information I had found here. Me and my (now) wife have been reading this forum even before we got married and have gotten a lot of great information from the members here. I'd just like to thank you all for that.

I do have a few questions and please pardon my ignorance if this isn't the correct place to post this, or if it could be redirected to the correct place. So without further ado, here goes,

I'm a naturalized Canadian Citizen and my wife is from Indonesia. We got married in Indonesia and have all the legal documentation from the Indonesian government (including marriage certificates). I would like to sponsor her under the Family Class as my spouse.

From what I understand so far, these are the forms I need to submit to get the ball rolling and get myself assessed as a sponsor,

IMM 5491
IMM 1344
IMM 5481
IMM 5540

IMM 008
IMM 5669
IMM 5406
IMM 5490

I believe these are the forms I need just to get the process started, hopefully if I'm incorrect, someone will correct me :)

The second thing I have a question about is the immigration form asks about where I have lived. Since I am not Canadian-born, I have lived in Nairobi, Kenya until I was around 2 years old. Once we got to Canada, I had stayed in Canada until August 2014, which I left to go to Hong Kong for an academic year of exchange. I came back to Canada in June 2015.

My question is in Nairobi Kenya, I really do not know where I lived, do I have to provide a specific address? I guess I could always ask my mother or grandmother to see if they remember the exact address but if you were to ask me personally I have no idea. Also, I lived in Hong Kong as a resident (I was issued a Hong Kong Identity card, meant for residents of HK). Do I have to list the university residence address as well?

My last question is that in the forms it asks for a co-signer if needed. It says that the co-signer must be your spouse. Do I have to put her as the co-signer? Currently I am in Canada and she is in Indonesia, if I put her as the co-signer would I mail my forms to her so she can sign them, as it requires the co-signer to sign the document as well?

So far these are all the questions I have :D again, apologies if this is not the correct place for them and I hope someone can direct me to the correct venue to get these questions answered.

Thank you all,

-Faisal

KelseyTVS

Jun 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can answer your cosigner question, but someone more senior than me will have to help with the others.

You would only have a cosigner in an event where you were sponsoring someone else, and your spouse wanted to help you financially support them. Since your spouse is the person being sponsored, you will not have a cosigner.

faisalmohamed

Star Member
Jul 9, 2015
Brampton
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2015
AOR Received.
14-12-2015
Med's Request
28-12-2016
Med's Done....
01-10-2015
Interview........
28-12-2016 (Phone)
Passport Req..
16-01-2017
LANDED..........
01-05-2017
KelseyTVS said:
I can answer your cosigner question, but someone more senior than me will have to help with the others.

You would only have a cosigner in an event where you were sponsoring someone else, and your spouse wanted to help you financially support them. Since your spouse is the person being sponsored, you will not have a cosigner.
Ah that makes more sense to me now, thank you Kelsey!

Jul 9, 2015
Advice please?

I am a Canadian Citizen by First Generation born outside Canada. I moved to Canada last April, with my proof of Citizenship which I had then recently received. I was told I could apply for Proof of Citizenship for my son who is 16 also. Even though the laws had changed with second generation, he was still entitled. I did this, and last week received notification via CIC that he is not eligible for citizenship. They have advised me to apply to sponsor him for PR, he now has no status in Canada, and is in full time school here. The kind lady at the call centre did advise they won't deport him :) I need to attach the email response in reference to his Proof of Citizenship and hence the delay in applying for his PR. I am totally confused as to which forms to use for his application as he is a minor living in Canada. Do I need police checks etc also if I have citizenship and living here for 16 months? Aaaaagh, its a mine field. Any advice please?? :D

kanga

Jul 9, 2015
Hello everyone,

This forum has been awesome at helping us put together our common-law application!

I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer. On IMM5540 question 8. have you resided in countries other than Canada? What is the length of time for this? My bf spent 3 months in both the USA and Norway with work, he didn't maintain an address or have a phone number in either place.

Any advice?

capri_can

Star Member
May 2, 2012
I am a PR since September 2010 (went back to india for 2 years and returned canada in June 2012 and living in toronto since then).
I got married in India on Jan 2013 and filed for spousal sponsorship in April 2013. My wife got her PR visa stamped in April 2014 and she arrived in Canada on May 11 2014.
After coming to Canada she kept on maintaining a irritable attitude and used to get angry on little things. She used to whine about how she had to resign her job in India and had to immigrate Canada because i was living here. Although she got a job within one month at a leading telecom company and was earning 50$ per hour, she was still unhappy citing the reason that she misses India and her family.

She never used to co-operate with me during our conjugal/intimate sessions and used to avoid sleeping with me saying that i snore and disturb her sleep. She never used to do household chores and it was me who used to cook food, make tea, houesekeeping etc. She used to sleep immediately after coming from office. For her convinience i leased a brand new honda accord and made sure she never had to step on snow during the winters. I am working as a Senior Developer in a established insurance firm and after i leave from office, i used to pick her up on time daily and come home.
This lasted for 8 months and in January 2015, she urged to go back to India on the false pretext of he mother's illness.

Although she has a huge family back home, she wanted to be with her mother and travel all the way from toronto to delhi. I purchased her flight tickets and she flew back to india alone on 21st Feb 2014. After that, till today i havent heard from her. She didnt share any India number with me (she cancelled her previous INdia cell number before coming to Canada).
Her parents are also unreachable after that date and they never pick up phone. Later in MArch 2015, i found a series of interac transactions of CAD 2000 happening daily between Feb 27 and March 11 2015 from my bsuiness account (RBC). My wife had online access to our joint business account (coz i trusted her and gave her access) where we both used to submit our salary cheques. She emptied the business account slowly by transferring 2000 CAD daily into her personal account she opened in RBC during her stay in Canada.
I immediately contacted a family lawyer and prepared a affidavit for seperation. Since her whereabouts are unknown till today, i am not sure where she is. And she has done money laundering as well by transferring money from our joint account without my prior knowledge and permission.
I want to know how i can revoke her PR status? She lived in canada for only 8 months and we dont have any kids nor any property bought together.
My lawyer says her visa stsus will automatically be revoked after 2 years, but i want to know that if i can get that done before that?
Is it possible she is already living in Canada? i am totally confused.
Although i have filed an affidavit for speratation from her, but i havent went to any court or polica station.

Also, will she be able to transfer money from her personal cheking account to india if she is not physically present in Canada?
And is there a way by which we can prove that she is stransferring money from her checking account to India? I have statements from my business account, but can i get access to her personal account statements?

Please group memeber, need help in this regard.

Also if she tries to file a false case against me in India, how can i prepare for that and how will that affect me?

Any help/scperience shared will be much appreciable.

Majromax

Nov 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2014-10-21
AOR Received.
2015-01-11 [Inland AOR rec'd 2014-11-19, corrected]
File Transfer...
2015-01-20 [CSQ applied Feb 9, issued Feb 19]
Passport Req..
[IP: 2015-06-10; DM: 2015-06-30]
VISA ISSUED...
2015-07-20
LANDED..........
2015-07-27
capri_can said:
My lawyer says her visa stsus will automatically be revoked after 2 years, but i want to know that if i can get that done before that?
Is it possible she is already living in Canada? i am totally confused.
Her visa status will not be automatically revoked, but if she does not live in Canada for two out of five years she will be at risk of losing her status if and when she tries to return to the country.

Since the sponsorship application was filed after 2012, her permanent residence likely is conditional, requiring cohabitation to continue for two years after landing.

It appears that this condition was not met, so you should contact CIC.

Regarding the other matters, this is something that only your lawyer and/or the police can help with. Banking privacy is serious business, and you will likely need the assistance of a court to track any money you believe was stolen. In addition, we really, really cannot help you with your conjugal difficulties.

hclover

May 20, 2015
I am on an open work permit after marrying my husband and filing inland spousal sponsorship (still in process). I just learned that I'm now not elligible for any temporary resident or traveller to canada insurance because there was a gap in 2010-2012 when I did not apply for any insurance (they said I should only have a maximum of 30-day gap between changing insurance companies). RAMQ says I'm not elligible for carte d'assurance maladie even though I have a work permit... They'd only approve after my sponsorship file is processed and I'm granted CSQ.

So now I have no health insurance and it makes me worried. Anyone can tell me what to do? Maybe get a health package with my husband? Any recommendation on what company to apply. Thanks!

haldashti

Dec 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-01-2015
AOR Received.
14-03-2015
File Transfer...
24-04-2015
Med's Done....
10-05-2015
Passport Req..
16-09-2015
Hello All,
Anybody knows what "date modified" at the bottom of ecas page mean? if Anything?

Majromax

Nov 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2014-10-21
AOR Received.
2015-01-11 [Inland AOR rec'd 2014-11-19, corrected]
File Transfer...
2015-01-20 [CSQ applied Feb 9, issued Feb 19]
Passport Req..
[IP: 2015-06-10; DM: 2015-06-30]
VISA ISSUED...
2015-07-20
LANDED..........
2015-07-27
haldashti said:
Hello All,
Anybody knows what "date modified" at the bottom of ecas page mean? if Anything?
Nothing individually. Since it is the same at every stage of the logging-in process it almost certainly refers to the last time the online form was updated.

haldashti

Dec 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-01-2015
AOR Received.
14-03-2015
File Transfer...
24-04-2015
Med's Done....
10-05-2015
Passport Req..
16-09-2015
Majromax said:
Nothing individually. Since it is the same at every stage of the logging-in process it almost certainly refers to the last time the online form was updated.
Thank you.