Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Ryabusa said:
Ah, that answers my question! I wish CIC would put such a qualification somewhere on their waiting times page because it is misleading (or maybe it's there and I'm blind).

Considering my case SHOULD be a slam dunk (no sketchy history, Canadian citizen (me) married for 5+ years to US citizen with a 2 year old child together), I would expect my outland application to run through CPP-O and therefore take significantly less time than an inland. Seems like the best way to go.

My only concern is that we'd prefer to move to Canada now and get started on our lives there. You said that you can live in Canada while processing an Outland application, so what's the best way to go about it? Should we submit the application before or after entering Canada? What do we tell/not tell CBSA when we cross the border? I want to be honest but I also don't want to get turned around. Is it better to cross together or have them come up after me?

I appreciate your helpful input!
First, does your husband qualify under NAFTA for a work permit? These positions are generally technical/professional/managerial. If he does qualify, the easiest way would be for him to find a job and get his work permit at the border (employer's like NAFTA because it's minimal work for them - they just need a job offer for a qualifying job.) That is often the least stressful way to do it.

Barring that, you can initiate sponsorship and then when you get to the border show them the paperwork you have - sponsor approval letter (if you have it) and/or fee paid receipt for the application. Normally they would give him a 6+ month visitor visa.

Depending upon the province where you are moving, he may or may not be covered by the provincial health coverage. If he isn't, he should either maintain US coverage or purchase travel insurance for Canada.

I assume you already have the paperwork for your child?

farah123

Oct 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2012
AOR Received.
10-10-2012
File Transfer...
18-11-2012
Med's Done....
01-06-2012
Hi,

I recently got my GMCS note and it says that IMM5476 is missing. I did not have any representative involved. So what should I do now? Should I write a letter explaining that or wait or them when they requested?

Help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks !

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
farah123 said:
Hi,

I recently got my GMCS note and it says that IMM5476 is missing. I did not have any representative involved. So what should I do now? Should I write a letter explaining that or wait or them when they requested?

Help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks !
If you don't have a representative, then there's nothing to worry about. "Missing" in this case just would mean that you don't have a representative. So I wouldn't suggest worrying about it unless they ask you about it (they also often write about how "bio data missing" on the backs of pictures - but the directions for some countries don't request it while others do. It turns out to be a non-issue.)

farah123

Oct 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2012
AOR Received.
10-10-2012
File Transfer...
18-11-2012
Med's Done....
01-06-2012
THANK YOU COMPUTERGEEK! for letting me know! I feel soo relief! :D

CanadaMex

Nov 24, 2013
Hello people one question

I am the sponsored person and in the documents they ask for my birth certificate (we are applying INLAND)

Do i have to translate it to english?? In the guide it doesn't specify but if you a little bit more down and in part where it says "Other documents (if applicable) states that the documents have to be in English or French.

Also, if i get married but i haven't received the marriage certificate (takes a couple weeks) can i use the paper that the commissioner is going to give me as a proof of marriage? this is until you get the actual certificate on the mail but in case i can't wait that long.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
CanadaMex said:
in the documents they ask for my birth certificate (we are applying INLAND)

Do i have to translate it to english??
Yes you need to have it officially translated. Not only that but since it's a translation, you will also need to make the photocopy of your birth certificate a "certified true" copy.

Also, if i get married but i haven't received the marriage certificate (takes a couple weeks) can i use the paper that the commissioner is going to give me as a proof of marriage? this is until you get the actual certificate on the mail but in case i can't wait that long.
I believe you are supposed to include the official marriage certificate only. As to if you could send this in later... others will need to advise.

Ryabusa

Nov 27, 2013
computergeek said:
First, does your husband qualify under NAFTA for a work permit? These positions are generally technical/professional/managerial. If he does qualify, the easiest way would be for him to find a job and get his work permit at the border (employer's like NAFTA because it's minimal work for them - they just need a job offer for a qualifying job.) That is often the least stressful way to do it.

Barring that, you can initiate sponsorship and then when you get to the border show them the paperwork you have - sponsor approval letter (if you have it) and/or fee paid receipt for the application. Normally they would give him a 6+ month visitor visa.

Depending upon the province where you are moving, he may or may not be covered by the provincial health coverage. If he isn't, he should either maintain US coverage or purchase travel insurance for Canada.

I assume you already have the paperwork for your child?
I am the husband and my wife is the US citizen. She may qualify for a NAFTA work permit with her credentials but she's looking at transitioning out of her current field and she's fine not working for a year or so if that's all it will take to receive her PR. I should make enough for the 3 of us when I land a job there. As long as they'll let her in the country for the 6 month visa and extend it until the PR is finalized, then I think we're good.

We're moving to BC so health coverage will be an issue for her until PR is approved. Any recommendations for a provider? I guess my daughter and I will need the same coverage for our 3 month waiting period.

I haven't applied for my daughter's proof of citizenship yet but was planning on doing so next week. I was told that can take a while as well, so if we don't have that in hand when we cross the border, do you think that will pose a problem? I figure the birth certificate proves I'm the (Canadian) father and therefore she's a Canadian citizen by birth, so shouldn't that suffice to get her in the country or will she also be on a visitor visa until the paperwork comes through? How does having/or not having a citizenship certificate for her affect the PR application process for my wife?

Thanks

Jelu012

Nov 28, 2013
Can anyone tell me if my Cuban fiance needs to make an appointment for medical exam and police certificate in Havana or can we just go there without one? Also how long should we plan on being in Havana for this? Thanks.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Ryabusa said:
I am the husband and my wife is the US citizen. She may qualify for a NAFTA work permit with her credentials but she's looking at transitioning out of her current field and she's fine not working for a year or so if that's all it will take to receive her PR. I should make enough for the 3 of us when I land a job there. As long as they'll let her in the country for the 6 month visa and extend it until the PR is finalized, then I think we're good.
I wouldn't expect an issue. Just make sure to bring the sponsor approval letter or (if you don't have that yet) the fee paid receipt.

Ryabusa said:
We're moving to BC so health coverage will be an issue for her until PR is approved. Any recommendations for a provider? I guess my daughter and I will need the same coverage for our 3 month waiting period.
BCAA offers coverage as does Manulife (I used Manulife when I first came to Canada and had to cover the gap before coverage). You won't have coverage for 2-3 months either (it's 2 months from the first of the month following your move to BC). But she will also be covered as your dependent (this is where that visitor record can be handy). See http://goo.gl/LDCv0o - I have heard a few people complain about being refused, in which case I would suggest that you appeal such a decision as it is not in keeping with BC practice.

Ryabusa said:
I haven't applied for my daughter's proof of citizenship yet but was planning on doing so next week. I was told that can take a while as well, so if we don't have that in hand when we cross the border, do you think that will pose a problem? I figure the birth certificate proves I'm the (Canadian) father and therefore she's a Canadian citizen by birth, so shouldn't that suffice to get her in the country or will she also be on a visitor visa until the paperwork comes through? How does having/or not having a citizenship certificate for her affect the PR application process for my wife?
Technically it's up to the CBSA officer, but once she or he is convinced the child is a Canadian Citizen there's no discretion in the matter - the Charter guarantees her right of entry. But of course, just because YOU are a Canadian citizen doesn't mean your child is. If you have your own birth certificate (proving you were born in Canada) then there would be no doubt.

The citizenship certificate does not affect the PR application process for your wife. When your wife fills out IMM 0008 she will NOT list the child, but she will show the child on the supplemental family information form and indicate she is a Canadian citizen.

Cbn Cdn

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
October 9, 2013 [ ARC Requested ]
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
November 28, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
December 19, 2013
LANDED..........
January 18, 2014 :)
Hi All,

My wife and I just got an Email from VO requesting my Passport :)

Good luck every one, trust me its working out faster for most of us...!!

Thanks for all your support in the forum :)

William and Afrodite

ellaine

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 22, 2013 , received as per tracking number August 26, 2013
AOR Received.
September 5, 2013
File Transfer...
September 13, 2013
Med's Done....
August 5, 2013
Passport Req..
November 22, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
December 13, 2013
LANDED..........
February 07, 2014 (Winnipeg)
hi there. Anyone who knows if the Canadian Embassy in Manila opens on saturdays?thanks much

toutesweet

Sep 1, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-2011
Doc's Request.
29-11-2113
File Transfer...
09-11-2011
Med's Request
29-11-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-11-2013 (sent January 2 2014, DM January 16 2014)
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2014
LANDED..........
01-02-2014
Jelu012 said:
Can anyone tell me if my Cuban fiance needs to make an appointment for medical exam and police certificate in Havana or can we just go there without one? Also how long should we plan on being in Havana for this? Thanks.
Police and medical are a later in the process thing. Another member related that when they were asked to get these they had already been in Canada for a year and not only was the med done in Canada but the police check was done with RCMP .The trick is getting him into Canada. All of my friends/coworkers/ acquaintances etc married to foreigners say it's best to get married in Canada. The thing is the sponsored can't work until it's gone through. I think you need to apply for a TRV from Cuba so look into those requirements.The best way iif you can is a work visa or student visa then get married while in Canada. It really depends on your situation and as to what works for you. My husband was told he wouldn't have a chance at TRV (you have to demonstrate that you will return to your country at the end of the visit though strong ties to your country of origin. So we couldn't do it that way and even though he was on the list of workers needed I couldn't find anyone that would deal with the hassle. 2 1/2 years since applying and still waiting

Alice2903

Nov 28, 2013
Hello good fellows!

Please help me out with some info, I'd really appreciate it!!

I am a Ukrainian citizen staying in Canada right now being a Working Holiday program participant. My work permit is expiring on Feb 21, 2014. My fiancée is Canadian citizen and we are getting married next week to apply Inland for my PR through the spouse sponsorship.

So since my status is going to expire soon, I'm not quite sure if CIC will put me on the implied status right after we send our documents? Or I should apply for the Temporary Resident Visa first to be able to stay in Canada until we get to the Step 1 — Assessment of sponsor and person being sponsored?

OR! I was thinking if this scenario might work:

I apply for Temporary Resident Visa and hopefully get it. Then we can apply for my sponsorship OUTLAND since it's way faster to proceed. And I can still hang out in Canada having my TRV and go back to Ukraine if they want to schedule an interview there or smth.

It's just different lawyers say different things about it so please share your thoughts on this matter!!! We'd be extremely grateful!!! :)

Thank you in advance for any information!
Alice and Preet

bsosasaney

Mar 9, 2013
Thanks for the info buddy, just to confirm, it is possible to sponsor my wife even though I live in Trinidad and i am citizen off Canada by birth

toutesweet

Sep 1, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-2011
Doc's Request.
29-11-2113
File Transfer...
09-11-2011
Med's Request
29-11-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-11-2013 (sent January 2 2014, DM January 16 2014)
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2014
LANDED..........
01-02-2014
Alice can you apply to extend your work visa? The trouble with applying inland, is you can't work unless your on the wanted worker list and have that visa since you're on a work permit sounds like you probably are. The problem with outland is they might make you wait out, and that may or may not be that big of a desk depending on how long processing wait times are
If you can afford an immigration lawyer, it might be a good idea. I still don't know if it would have helped us or not or if it's just luck of the draw fast or slow visa officers either way. But in hindsight, it probably would have saved us a lot of grief.
If you were thinking of the TRV, which you can't work on. I believe how it works is once your married you can get to stay on humanitarian grounds, which might still require professional help acheiving. Are TRV's from Ukraine difficult to get? I mean do you feel that you could convince them you would return? It's a great idea to trv and apply outland I think, but I'd be nervous about a backfire. See if you can extend your work permit and then apply outland. At least even if you have to leave Ukraine is only 13 mo to process, minus the duration of your work permit:)
Alice2903 said:
Hello good fellows!

Please help me out with some info, I'd really appreciate it!!

I am a Ukrainian citizen staying in Canada right now being a Working Holiday program participant. My work permit is expiring on Feb 21, 2014. My fiancée is Canadian citizen and we are getting married next week to apply Inland for my PR through the spouse sponsorship.

So since my status is going to expire soon, I'm not quite sure if CIC will put me on the implied status right after we send our documents? Or I should apply for the Temporary Resident Visa first to be able to stay in Canada until we get to the Step 1 — Assessment of sponsor and person being sponsored?

OR! I was thinking if this scenario might work:

I apply for Temporary Resident Visa and hopefully get it. Then we can apply for my sponsorship OUTLAND since it's way faster to proceed. And I can still hang out in Canada having my TRV and go back to Ukraine if they want to schedule an interview there or smth.

It's just different lawyers say different things about it so please share your thoughts on this matter!!! We'd be extremely grateful!!! :)

Thank you in advance for any information!
Alice and Preet