+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Daisyd5

Star Member
Apr 30, 2013
Re: Spousal sponsorship

KKRSTNA said:
If I land PR would I be able to work/go to school without any permits?

Would I be able to obtain financial aid?

Can someone please answer my question. I'm quite depressed seeing how I'm not able to do much. I just came here from California about two weeks ago to be with my boyfriend but I would love to be able to work and go to school...

As a permanent resident u can work of course but I don't think u can get social aid

calgaryboy24

Star Member
May 29, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July-10-2012
AOR Received.
August-2012
Med's Request
March-20-2013
Med's Done....
April-06-2013
computergeek said:
You will need to convince CIC that you won't require social assistance. They will consider the assets and abilities of both of you in making that determination. So there's no magic number here, but rather a subjective standard. If you have family or friends willing to help you get settled, they will consider that as well.

You won't be disqualified for not having employment, but you will be subject to scrutiny.
would it help if i was earning good salary earlier and bank balance?

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017

KKRSTNA said:

Can someone please answer my question. I'm quite depressed seeing how I'm not able to do much. I just came here from California about two weeks ago to be with my boyfriend but I would love to be able to work and go to school...
Assuming you're a US citizen, I believe you can attend school for 6 months without a visa in Canada, but after that you need to have a visa. But you're much better off paying tuition as a permanent resident - much cheaper.

LaylaLala

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
Ontario, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-Jan-2013
AOR Received.
13-Feb2013
Med's Request
17-Nov-2013
Med's Done....
4-Dec-2013
Interview........
29-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
29-Apr-2014

IvanP said:
Assuming you're a US citizen, I believe you can attend school for 6 months without a visa in Canada, but after that you need to have a visa. But you're much better off paying tuition as a permanent resident - much cheaper.
As US Citizen you still need a permit to Study, unless it's a 6 months certificate. But other than that, you would have to wait for PR. :/

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

IvanP said:
Incorrect. You can only attend school without a study permit if the entire course of your study is going to be six months or less (e.g. you are taking a three month course on photography). If you are taking a one year diploma where the first course is less than six months - you still need a study permit since the entire duration of your studies will be more than six months.

cpeters8604

Aug 13, 2013
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-13
So excited! Finally got the police/fbi clearance in the mail so ive finally sent our completed package in the mail.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012

KKRSTNA said:
Of course. You don't qualify for a work or study permit as a permanent resident - you are a foreign national.

KKRSTNA said:
That will depend upon your personal circumstances, but you will be eligible for student loans. As a Canadian PR and US citizen you will find that many universities in Canada are eligible for loans at least from both countries.

Until that time, to study you would either need to be taking courses that do not require a study permit (e.g., nothing leading to a degree or certificate that requires more than six months). So if you want to take community college classes (for example), this is an ideal time to do so. You will pay international student rates.

To work you would need a work permit, which either requires that you qualify under NAFTA (technical/professional/managerial positions) or have an employer willing to sponsor you (LMO and job offer).

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017

scylla said:
Incorrect. You can only attend school without a study permit if the entire course of your study is going to be six months or less (e.g. you are taking a three month course on photography). If you are taking a one year diploma where the first course is less than six months - you still need a study permit since the entire duration of your studies will be more than six months.
That's probably right, but it's still cheaper to take classes as a PR!

Atrotman

Oct 27, 2013
Do any of you know what the average wait time on an open work visa is? And difference on if you apply online through the CIC website or through the mail? THanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Atrotman said:
Do any of you know what the average wait time on an open work visa is? And difference on if you apply online through the CIC website or through the mail? THanks
Looking at your other post, I see that you applied inland but did not include your work permit application with the sponsorship package. In that case, you need to wait until you have your first stage approval for your inland application. Getting there takes about 10-11 months after having applied. Once you have it, you can apply for your open work permit. You can see work permit processing times at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp where it says 30 days for online applications. Longer by mail.

miyyal

Oct 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JAN 2012
AOR Received.
FEB 2012
File Transfer...
FEB 2012
Med's Request
18-03-2014
Med's Done....
03-04-2014
Interview........
18-03-2014
Passport Req..
18-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-04-2014 (SHUKAR HAI KHUDA KA)
Hi, I am from Pakistan

My husband sponsored me from Canada and the status is

Decision made on Sponsorship Application Status. The details are:

1)We received your application to sponsor (Applicant Name) on January 10, 2012.
2) We sent you a letter on February 28, 2012 about the decision on your application. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

And under Permanent Application Status is:
1) We received (Applicant name) application for permanent residence on January 10, 2012.

And my Husband received original Educational documents from case processing pilot Ottawa on August 13, 2013

can anybody please tell me what is the next step after this. Thank you

mahvash

Oct 8, 2013
I posted this earlier also but did not see any response. Really hope to get some feed back this time.

I am Canadian Citizen. My boyfriend and I both moved back last year, he from the UK(where he was studying) and Canada respectively last year to get married in 2012. He is a Pakistani citizen. Now we both live in Pakistan. I would love to move back to Canada with my husband and establish ourselves there. While filling out the application form, we got stuck at some questions. We were hoping someone could help us. We are not sure as to what we must focus while writing the answer for the one below.

Provide proof of intention to re establish in Canada, attach photocopies of the following documents as applicable:

1. Job offer in Canada, 2.Employment contract in Canada, 3.Letter of acceptance by an educational institution in Canada, 4.Property rental agreement, 5.Property deed, 6. Mortgage in property, 7. Other: please mention:

Give details of your plans to re-establish in Canada:

I don't plan to apply for jobs until my husband gets a PR, so getting a job letter sitting here before that isn't possible. Plus, I have already done my masters and worked for 2 years after that in Canada, so wont apply to any school either. We both will apply for jobs in Canada once my husband has a PR. I have a couple of friends in Toronto (who could send in a letter as well) whom we could stay with if my husband and I moved to Canada, while we looked for a place to live.

My husband and I have savings through which we can support ourselves at least for 8-10 months if we dont find jobs.

Please help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mahvash said:
1. Job offer in Canada, 2.Employment contract in Canada, 3.Letter of acceptance by an educational institution in Canada, 4.Property rental agreement, 5.Property deed, 6. Mortgage in property, 7. Other: please mention:

Give details of your plans to re-establish in Canada:

I don't plan to apply for jobs until my husband gets a PR, so getting a job letter sitting here before that isn't possible. Plus, I have already done my masters and worked for 2 years after that in Canada, so wont apply to any school either. We both will apply for jobs in Canada once my husband has a PR. I have a couple of friends in Toronto (who could send in a letter as well) whom we could stay with if my husband and I moved to Canada, while we looked for a place to live.
Your problem is that immigration is making an exception allowing Canadian citizens to sponsor their spouses while living outside Canada themselves and in order for you to make use of this exception, you will have to prove to their satisfaction that you intend to move to Canada when your partner gets his PR.

Therefore you will have to do your best to get a job letter, get accepted to a college or at the very least show some specific written up plans on where you will live and what kind of work you will do. Supportive letters from friends and family saying they know of your plans and will let you stay for free and help you get settled should help.

If your are unable to prove your intentions to move, you would have to go ahead to Canada alone and then apply to sponsor.

mahvash

Oct 8, 2013
Leon said:
Your problem is that immigration is making an exception allowing Canadian citizens to sponsor their spouses while living outside Canada themselves and in order for you to make use of this exception, you will have to prove to their satisfaction that you intend to move to Canada when your partner gets his PR.

Therefore you will have to do your best to get a job letter, get accepted to a college or at the very least show some specific written up plans on where you will live and what kind of work you will do. Supportive letters from friends and family saying they know of your plans and will let you stay for free and help you get settled should help.

If your are unable to prove your intentions to move, you would have to go ahead to Canada alone and then apply to sponsor.
Hey thanks a lot! that helps