+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

larryUK

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
Hi all got a few questions, heads splitting trying to read through all the guides and figure everything out.

Going to put in an application for PR with my spouse (finally got married last week ;D ) sponsoring me, currently residing as a visitor with her in Canada.

As I understand the fees will are $75 for the sponsorship evaluation and $475 for my principal applications, and $490 right of PR fee. Have no dependents or anything so it's just me, have I got all the fees right here?

I read my sponsor has to get approval first (which is taking around 30 days) before I can apply? so do we just put those forms in first (IMM 1344, IMM5481) or do we have to send the lot in one go, as listed here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

Also I know I have to maintain a legal status here, currently here legally as a visitor, I thought I read something about once my spouse has been approved as a sponsor you maintain a legal status. I have also read stuff about inland/outland applications and looks much quicker if I apply from the UK so will probably go back for a while, though I also read I can apply outland whilst still residing in Canada?

Kind of confused a bit, thanks for any help.

pritha

Star Member
Oct 8, 2012
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
VEGREVILLE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2013
AOR Received.
31-07-2013
File Transfer...
11-03-2014
Med's Request
Sent with App
Med's Done....
14-06-2013
Interview........
11-06-2014
Passport Req..
waived
LANDED..........
11-06-2014
Hi Experts,

Just wanted to ask few questions :

1. Does anyone know what the Option C printout look like or another name? Because when my husband and i order it, then the CRA send us the same Notice of Assessment that we already received after my husband filled his tax although the new one is a compilation of 2011 and 2012 of his tax year. Does the Option C Printout is the same with T451 E ?

2. I am now filling a form for Open Work Permit. On "DETAILS OF INTENDED WORK IN CANADA"
Question #3, #4 and #5 , what should i fill on them ? Since, I don't have any Employer yet, so i don't know where is the address of my employment, i don't know what kind of occupation it will be (description of duties) and i don't know the duration of the expected employment.

Please help me guys... i am almost there to submit...

thanks in advance,
P

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
larryUK said:
Hi all got a few questions, heads splitting trying to read through all the guides and figure everything out.

Going to put in an application for PR with my spouse (finally got married last week ;D ) sponsoring me, currently residing with her in Canada as a visitor.

As I understand the fees will are $75 for the sponsorship evaluation and $475 for my principal applications, and $490 right of PR fee. Have no dependents or anything so it's just me, have I got all the fees right here?

I read my sponsor has to get approval first (which is taking around 30 days) before I can apply? so do we just put those forms in first (IMM 1344, IMM5481) or do we have to send the lot in one go, as listed here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

Also I know I have to maintain a legal status here, currently here legally as a visitor, I thought I read something about once my spouse has been approved as a sponsor you maintain a legal status.

Kind of confused a bit, thanks for any help.
yes the fees is correct ($1040)

you need to send both the applications together (sponsor's and yours)

are you applying outland or inland ?

Inland , after you get approved as sponsor you get work permit (which is a legal status)
Outland, you need to be on visitor visa if you want to live with your spouse during the application process. you can extend your visitor visa.

larryUK

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
simb said:

Inland , after you get approved as sponsor you get work permit (which is a legal status)
Outland, you need to be on visitor visa if you want to live with your spouse during the application process. you can extend your visitor visa.
Hi thanks, I just added an edit to my post about inland/outland. I'm not sure yet still trying to figure out what's best...inland I think?, I'm a UK citizen never had to get a visa but know have to keep my Visitor Records all legal, that doesn't expire till October so not too worried about that yet, just thought I read something that once you get a spousal sponsorship application in you automatically maintain a legal status till that is approved or denied?

Interesting what you say about inland and after my spouse gets approved as a sponsor I get a work permit?? Wasn't aware of that, thought I couldn't work here until my PR application was approved??

pritha

Star Member
Oct 8, 2012
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
VEGREVILLE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2013
AOR Received.
31-07-2013
File Transfer...
11-03-2014
Med's Request
Sent with App
Med's Done....
14-06-2013
Interview........
11-06-2014
Passport Req..
waived
LANDED..........
11-06-2014
simb said:

i believe for the applicant fee is $550 , so it should be $1115 in total.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
larryUK said:
Hi thanks, I just added an edit to my post about inland/outland. I'm not sure yet still trying to figure out what's best...inland I think?, I'm a UK citizen never had to get a visa but know have to keep my Visitor Records all legal, that doesn't expire till October so not too worried about that yet, just thought I read something that once you get a spousal sponsorship application in you automatically maintain a legal status till that is approved or denied?

Interesting what you say about inland and after my spouse gets approved as a sponsor I get a work permit?? Wasn't aware of that, thought I couldn't work here until my PR application was approved??
I don't think you are automatically approved to work. You would have to apply for that.

larryUK

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
CanadianJeepGuy said:
I don't think you are automatically approved to work. You would have to apply for that.
Oh yeh sorry kind of figured that was too good to be true lol, was googling after and read about Open Work Permits which I could apply for once the spousal sponsorship application gets "first stage approval"...., does first stage approval mean the bit about the Sponsorship Evaluation which takes around 30 days or does it mean something else?

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
larryUK said:
Oh yeh sorry kind of figured that was too good to be true lol, was googling after and read about Open Work Permits which I could apply for once the spousal sponsorship application gets "first stage approval"...., does first stage approval mean the bit about the Sponsorship Evaluation which takes around 30 days or does it mean something else?
You are correct. Stage 1 is also the sponsorship approval portion. Stage 2 is the assessment of your PR application. Your spouse will get her sponsorship approval and then your inland PR application will be sent to Ottawa for the stage 2 approval. Stage 2 is the long one but since you are already here you won't get the additional stress of being separated from your spouse.

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
pritha said:
i believe for the applicant fee is $550 , so it should be $1115 in total.
$550 ? It was $490 earlier..

I dont know much for applicant fee or for something else. but I remember we paid $1040

did CIC increased the amount recently ?

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
larryUK said:
Submit the open work permit application with your complete application package. Others who have done this will probably chime in with specific instructions on the best way to include it.

pritha

Star Member
Oct 8, 2012
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
VEGREVILLE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2013
AOR Received.
31-07-2013
File Transfer...
11-03-2014
Med's Request
Sent with App
Med's Done....
14-06-2013
Interview........
11-06-2014
Passport Req..
waived
LANDED..........
11-06-2014
simb said:

I dont know much for applicant fee or for something else. but I remember we paid $1040

Yes, i guess they increase it. because i also remember for the principal applicant was $490. Anyway, its for inland application don't know with the outland application.

larryUK

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
CanadianJeepGuy said:
You are correct. Stage 1 is also the sponsorship approval portion. Stage 2 is the assessment of your PR application. Your spouse will get her sponsorship approval and then your inland PR application will be sent to Ottawa for the stage 2 approval. Stage 2 is the long one but since you are already here you won't get the additional stress of being separated from your spouse.
Thanks, so basically get the PR application in asap, my spouse will be approved a month or so later, then I can apply for an open work permit and hopefully find a job whilst I'm waiting for PR approval. Sounds simple lol :-X

And yes hate being seperated, have gone back to the UK before for periods of time, not nice! :(

pritha

Star Member
Oct 8, 2012
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
VEGREVILLE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2013
AOR Received.
31-07-2013
File Transfer...
11-03-2014
Med's Request
Sent with App
Med's Done....
14-06-2013
Interview........
11-06-2014
Passport Req..
waived
LANDED..........
11-06-2014
simb said:

anyway can you help answering my questions post, its above your answer post to larryUK . Thanks :)

larryUK

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
IvanP said:
Submit the open work permit application with your complete application package. Others who have done this will probably chime in with specific instructions on the best way to include it.
OK thanks, I will wait for a few more replies.

Amazing help guys!

Also what about healthcare, can you apply for the government health cards once you have sponsorship application approval?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
larryUK said:
Thanks, so basically get the PR application in asap, my spouse will be approved a month or so later, then I can apply for an open work permit and hopefully find a job whilst I'm waiting for PR approval. Sounds simple lol :-X

And yes hate being seperated, have gone back to the UK before for periods of time, not nice! :(
Unfortunately that's not quite right.

If you apply using the outland route, then your spouse will be approved in about a month - however you will not qualify for an open work permit. (Only inland applicants qualify for an open work permit.)

If you apply using the inland route, then first stage approval is currently taking six months to complete. Once you have first stage approval you will qualify for an open work permit.