+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

zmikers

Feb 26, 2012
Me again, and something new just popped up. We are sending my wife's application in on Monday (Hong Kong office). We just noticed that she will need to renew her passport before we move back to Canada. Should she notify the Hong Kong office with the new passport number when it is received, or just have both new and old passport when entering Canada? Also, should I write a note and add it to the application package that we will be renewing the passport soon? Thanks again!

Olah-lah

Mar 14, 2013
Hi guys! I would appreciate if you could help to clarify.
I received an AIP letter (saying that I meet the eligibility to apply as a permanent residence..... blah-blah-blah, they have to check if i meet other requirements such as criminal/ background and medical, I can also apply for open work permit and study permit) at the end of September 2012. And I haven't heard from CIC after this :( It's been over 5 months already. Do you know what the next stage (-s) is (are) (what will I have to expect: an interview, a requirement for some papers, can they still have some doubts about the genuity of my relationships with my common-law partnet?). And if you know how long does it to take to hear back from CIC after receiving AIP?
Thanks a lot for your attention! :-*

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Olah-lah said:
Hi guys! I would appreciate if you could help to clarify.
I received an AIP letter (saying that I meet the eligibility to apply as a permanent residence..... blah-blah-blah, they have to check if i meet other requirements such as criminal/ background and medical, I can also apply for open work permit and study permit) at the end of September 2012. And I haven't heard from CIC after this :( It's been over 5 months already. Do you know what the next stage (-s) is (are) (what will I have to expect: an interview, a requirement for some papers, can they still have some doubts about the genuity of my relationships with my common-law partnet?). And if you know how long does it to take to hear back from CIC after receiving AIP?
Thanks a lot for your attention! :-*
Are you applying inland? It sounds like you are, in that case, from what I understand, it may be several months before they contact you again.

Astro2

Star Member
May 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Isb/Ldn-Hubby's case
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 02/12
Doc's Request.
updated forms & PCC - November 2013
File Transfer...
May 08/12
Med's Request
remedical - Jan 10/14
Passport Req..
Oct 8th, 2014, Sent on Nov 8th
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 25th/14
LANDED..........
Nov 28th, 2014 inshallah
Zahid Sarfraz said:
Hi every one just help me plz ...my causes info..here

received file : 07 october 2011
in chc islamabad 14 december 2011
sill online status is medical received ...
received E-mail from islamabad ..they answer my E-mail ..on 17 Jan 2013 there is mail about u r in Que for interview...and still waiting no any answer recived for islamabad high commission canada Thanks :(
was your a full shaadi or just a nikkah?
you can try to send more pics or if your wife visited you in pak, you can send a package of copies of tickets..boarding pass....and pics of your tours. and hope for the best

MK88

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Dec-2013
Doc's Request.
11-Aug-2014
AOR Received.
07-Jan-2014
File Transfer...
15-Jan-2014
Med's Request
15-Jan-2015
Med's Done....
16-Jan-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-Jan-2015 ~Submitted 02-Mar-2015~
VISA ISSUED...
04-Mar-2015
LANDED..........
March 2015
Hey, I have this one question i want to ask. The question is that I am a Canadian citizen but I have not been living in Canada since 2006. Now I want to sponsor my husband so we can both go live there but I have this one problem. I haven't filed my tax return lately and since I am not in Canada do I need to file my return for the years I had not been in Canada? and do I have to send my tax return sheet with the documents for sponsoring? I mean if I haven't filed it and since I'm not in Canada for the past years is it recommended from me to file them? Also if it is not essential for me to file a tax return then what do I say in the documents on forms that require my tax return proof?
Please help.
Thank you :)

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
MK88 said:
Hey, I have this one question i want to ask. The question is that I am a Canadian citizen but I have not been living in Canada since 2006. Now I want to sponsor my husband so we can both go live there but I have this one problem. I haven't filed my tax return lately and since I am not in Canada do I need to file my return for the years I had not been in Canada? and do I have to send my tax return sheet with the documents for sponsoring? I mean if I haven't filed it and since I'm not in Canada for the past years is it recommended from me to file them? Also if it is not essential for me to file a tax return then what do I say in the documents on forms that require my tax return proof?
Please help.
No, but you need to show that you can support the family. If you've filed taxes in the country you're in, that could work, or a letter from your employer or paystubs, or all three! :)

MK88

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Dec-2013
Doc's Request.
11-Aug-2014
AOR Received.
07-Jan-2014
File Transfer...
15-Jan-2014
Med's Request
15-Jan-2015
Med's Done....
16-Jan-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-Jan-2015 ~Submitted 02-Mar-2015~
VISA ISSUED...
04-Mar-2015
LANDED..........
March 2015
parker24 said:
No, but you need to show that you can support the family. If you've filed taxes in the country you're in, that could work, or a letter from your employer or paystubs, or all three! :)
But I don't have a job or anything in the country I reside in. I have bachelors degree and educational certificates. I can also arrange a job letter from Canada but the question is will that be enough as far as my Income tax in concerned? By your answer I'm guessing that it's not mandatory for me to file my tax returns since I'm not in Canada, so they will accept this fact when I apply for my sponsorship and won't require me to send them anything else alternative to it?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
MK88 said:
But I don't have a job or anything in the country I reside in. I have bachelors degree and educational certificates. I can also arrange a job letter from Canada but the question is will that be enough as far as my Income tax in concerned? By your answer I'm guessing that it's not mandatory for me to file my tax returns since I'm not in Canada, so they will accept this fact when I apply for my sponsorship and won't require me to send them anything else alternative to it?
Do you rely on your spouse for the financial support? If so, include all of what I said for her/him. While there's no actual income requirement, it is required to show CIC how you plan on supporting the family. They want to make sure you will not go on welfare.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
MK88 said:
Please help.
Form this offical site I gathered that, depending on your situation, you may be a non-resident of Canada, in which case, you may elect not to file income tax as long as you meet the criteria.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/lvng-eng.html

So, if you meet the criteria, you did not have to file taxes in Canada. However, this other government site suggests that you can use a form to establish their opinion on your residency status.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/cmmn/rsdncy-eng.html

I have not heard a single case where taxes have affected an application but that does not mean there is not one at all. Best for you to do would be to determine your residency status with the Canada Revenue Agency to make sure, even if you still decide to apply. Again, if you meet the criteria since 2006 I would not worry about taxes afecting your application.

Mar 15, 2013
MK88 said:
Please help.

I am in the exact same situation as you are. I am a legal PR here in the US, also a Canadian citizen and a SAHM. We want to move our family to Canada, and are about to start the process. DH is a US citizen. Have you already started the process, yet? I'm not really sure where to start as we just bought a house here. :-[ but I would love to go through it with someone in a similar situation as us.

Olah-lah

Mar 14, 2013
parker24 said:
Are you applying inland? It sounds like you are, in that case, from what I understand, it may be several months before they contact you again.
Thank you, Parker 24 :) Yes, I am applying inland. It's been more than 5 months since I haven't heard from them after getting AIP. Is this normal? Do you know what the next step will be? can we still be interviewed? PS: I am definetely getting anxious ???

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Olah-lah said:
It's been more than 5 months since I haven't heard from them after getting AIP. Is this normal? Do you know what the next step will be? can we still be interviewed? PS: I am definetely getting anxious ???
The posted time is 8 months. The more time that goes by, the lower the chance for an interview. Instead, there are other things that can take longer (security checks) or sometimes applications seem to slip through the cracks.

You could order your GCMS notes and find out the status of your application.

Olah-lah

Mar 14, 2013
computergeek said:
The posted time is 8 months. The more time that goes by, the lower the chance for an interview. Instead, there are other things that can take longer (security checks) or sometimes applications seem to slip through the cracks.

You could order your GCMS notes and find out the status of your application.
A bit of a relief :) Thanks for your reply! How can I order GCMS notes? Sorry, I never heard of such a thing :)

zmikers

Feb 26, 2012
zmikers said:
We are sending my wife's application in on Monday (Hong Kong office). We just noticed that she will need to renew her passport before we move back to Canada. Should she notify the Hong Kong office with the new passport number when it is received, or just have both new and old passport when entering Canada? Also, should I write a note and add it to the application package that we will be renewing the passport soon? Thanks again!
Any thoughts? ;D

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
zmikers said:
Me again, and something new just popped up. We are sending my wife's application in on Monday (Hong Kong office). We just noticed that she will need to renew her passport before we move back to Canada. Should she notify the Hong Kong office with the new passport number when it is received, or just have both new and old passport when entering Canada? Also, should I write a note and add it to the application package that we will be renewing the passport soon? Thanks again!
Holders of a Taiwan non-overseas passport (with national ID) do not require a Visa to enter Canada; Taiwanese overseas nationals need a TRV.

If you are talking about returning before the process is over,

1) If her passport is visa-exempt, all she needs is her current passport.
2) If her passport requres a TRV, she has a valid TRV and her passport is expired, she needs both passports (the old one with the valid TRV and the new valid passport).

If you are talking about returning after the PR process is done please note that her COPR/Visa will not be issued for an expired passport.

If she has a valid passport, her COPR/Visa will be issued with an expiration date that will be one of the following 3 cases:

1) Before the expiration date of her passport
2) Before the expiration date of her last medicals
3) Before an arbitrary date set by CIC that will not be after the two dates above in 1 and 2

This is the case even if she has a new passport at the time of entry to Canada.

If the passport expires midway the PR process, she will need to submit copies of the new passport or send the new passport in (depending on the type of passport she has) once she gets PPR.

If you feel compelled before PPR, just send copies of the new passport and a cover pages explaining the reason you are sending them. I do not think it would hurt.