+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Jaeger

Feb 25, 2013
Hi All,

The medical checkup is such a long process!! We are getting in touch with one of the required doctors now, but I had a question about the forms required for medical.

1. The Appendix C needs to be taken by US to the doctor. Ok.

2. Form IMM 1017 EFC will be filled out by the doctor is that correct?? Do they provide this form at the doctor's office or is it available somewhere on the site here?

3. I also read that we need to submit form IMM 5419, (section B filled out by US, and sections C, D, and E filled out by the doctor yes?? So is this IMM 5419 form also provided at the doctor's office or How do I get ahold of it??

And then.... once this process is finally completed, which forms does the doctor's office send themselves and which forms do we include with our application??

Does anyone have any knowledge in this matter?

TStuart

Mar 3, 2013
Hello,

Quick question on the common-law relationship, specifically, question 8 (b) on the IM1344E form (Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking).

Question 8 (b) asks for a specific date when you entered into a common-law relationship. Is this the date you began sharing an address, bills, living together, etc? I've been with my partner for over a decade and not sure I can pinpoint an exact date. There's no official document we need to present (i.e. the equivalent of a marriage certificate) for a common-law relationship is there?

Apologies for the ignorance!

Thanks
Todd

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
TStuart said:
Hello,

Quick question on the common-law relationship, specifically, question 8 (b) on the IM1344E form (Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking).

Question 8 (b) asks for a specific date when you entered into a common-law relationship. Is this the date you began sharing an address, bills, living together, etc? I've been with my partner for over a decade and not sure I can pinpoint an exact date. There's no official document we need to present (i.e. the equivalent of a marriage certificate) for a common-law relationship is there?

Thanks
Todd
Surely you can remember the first time you lived together as a couple? No anniversary date for any reason? Birthday card or momento of an event close to the beginning of your relationship?

TStuart

Mar 3, 2013
CanadianJeepGuy said:
Surely you can remember the first time you lived together as a couple? No anniversary date for any reason? Birthday card or momento of an event close to the beginning of your relationship?
Hi,

The instructions on the form says the date you 'change from being single to being common-law, not the date you started living together'. I could give you the date, time, hour we started our 'relationship' but what quantifies common-law?

I suppose when we started sharing bills, rental agreements and all of that?

The main query I have, I guess, is that there isn't some piece of paper or document that officially decalres a couple common-law.

Thanks for feedback.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Jaeger said:
1. The Appendix C needs to be taken by US to the doctor. Ok.
There is no longer an Appendix C in IMM 3910. I'd post the link but the forum software rejects messages with too many links. Make sure you have the current IMM 3910 from the CIC website.

This form is no longer required as of the rules starting 1 November 2012.

Jaeger said:
2. Form IMM 1017 EFC will be filled out by the doctor is that correct?? Do they provide this form at the doctor's office or is it available somewhere on the site here?
The new form is IMM 1017B for an up-front medical examination.

Jaeger said:
3. I also read that we need to submit form IMM 5419, (section B filled out by US, and sections C, D, and E filled out by the doctor yes?? So is this IMM 5419 form also provided at the doctor's office or How do I get ahold of it??
The doctor has this form. You can find it on the CIC website by following the link below for OB 471.

You do not complete this form, it is part of the medical examination done by the panel physician and is completed by the panel physician

Jaeger said:
And then.... once this process is finally completed, which forms does the doctor's office send themselves and which forms do we include with our application??
The exact details are described in the Panel Physician Handbook, which is linked from OB 471.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob471.asp

Popo012

Star Member
Sep 30, 2012
It have been 3 weeks since that the CIC in Vg. Finished processing my application for family class sponsorship.They told me that the CIC in Ottawa will contact me but still nothing yet.I don't know,I didn't think it would of take that long :(.Any idea n help plz.

mandn

Dec 3, 2012
goodman36 said:
This are number box(es). So you can enter 0. (that's what I did and I got stage 1 approval)
Thanks but I was talking a bout the boxes on the second page. They ask for the persons name and date of birth.

About the sponsor's Document Checklist for OUTLAND:

I am confused by #18 PROOF OF EMPLOYMENT AND/OR PROOF OF INCOME.

Right now neither of us are employed so PROOF of EMPLOYMENT does not apply to us therefore I should leave it unchecked and I don't need to submit anything for that part?

and the second part states

"For the 12 months preceding the date of your sponsorship if you and if applicable your cosigner:
-are the sole owners of , or partners in an unincorporated business, provide evidence of self-employment income (statement of business activities)

-received interest on income earned, provide evidence of interest income (bank statement showing rate of interest、deposit amount and length of time deposit held)
I am not a sole owner or a partner in an unincorporated business.

I have a savings account and I do get a small interest credit every month - do I need to show CIC this? If I don't how will they know anyway?

Istie

Feb 25, 2013
please anyone help me how to start a process of sponsoring my husband? i am completely lost help me plssssssssssssss :(

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Istie said:
please anyone help me how to start a process of sponsoring my husband? i am completely lost help me plssssssssssssss :(
Start reading here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

Then as you find specific questions, ask in the forum.

Or if you have extra cash laying around, you can hire a consultant or attorney for $2-5k and they'll point you at the forms and answer your questions. ;)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
TStuart said:
Hello,

Thanks
Todd
This is specified in the guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp
Enter the date (year, month, day) you were married or you entered into your current common-law relationship.
Note: This is the date your status officially changed from being single to common-law, not the date you started living together.

So it's the date you reached the 1-year mark of living together, NOT the day you first moved in.

If it's been 10 years, just approximate. Just make sure the dates match when sponsor and applicant fill in the history of addresses. In many common-law cases there is no absolute proof, and the date 2 people start living together is whatever the couple says it is.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Rob_TO said:
This is specified in the guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp
Enter the date (year, month, day) you were married or you entered into your current common-law relationship.
Note: This is the date your status officially changed from being single to common-law, not the date you started living together.

So it's the date you reached the 1-year mark of living together, NOT the day you first moved in.

If it's been 10 years, just approximate. Just make sure the dates match when sponsor and applicant fill in the history of addresses. In many common-law cases there is no absolute proof, and the date 2 people start living together is whatever the couple says it is.
^^^Best answer TStuart.

Common Law marriage as far as I can tell is an applied term to a committed relationship between 2 people. For all intents and purposes it operates just like a marriage without having theocratic approval or bureaucratic approval like a civil union. For common law in Canada there are no certificates, tatoos or receipt of ownership. I think that it why they ask for the year after you moved in to set an "anniversary" date.

mosaab

Oct 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2013
AOR Received.
26-06-2013
File Transfer...
05-07-2013
Med's Done....
18-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-16-2014
LANDED..........
05-02-2014
Hi everybody,
Excuse me,

I have a new inquiry

1-My wife now in full-time work, and she want to sponsor me, she received a social assistance for 3 months but she stopped because now she has an income and want to sponsor me, Is it possible to have any effect on the application ??

2- in the document checklist (IMM5491E) , question # 17 , about option C printout, please I want more explanation ??!

mandn

Dec 3, 2012
My wife and I are planning to submit our OUTLAND application from Canada in a few days. We are both currently living in Canada. Later this month (after we submit the application) we are planning to go to her country - Japan - to stay their for a few months.

I am worried about: On her application forms she and I wrote our address in Canada. If she gets requested for an interview will CIC look at this address and make her interview in Canada or Japan?

and secondly - will CIC request her passport in the later stages of our application? If they do and we send it to them from Japan, Will they send it back to our Canadian address after they are done with her passport? (why do they request her passport anyway? can someone explain that to me?)

mandn

Dec 3, 2012
mosaab said:
Hi everybody,
Excuse me,

I have a new inquiry

1-My wife now in full-time work, and she want to sponsor me, she received a social assistance for 3 months but she stopped because now she has an income and want to sponsor me, Is it possible to have any effect on the application ??

2- in the document checklist (IMM5491E) , question # 17 , about option C printout, please I want more explanation ??!
1- Im not totally sure about this. If she received Employment Insurance then it will not affect the application but if she received welfare then it might..

2- Your wife must call revenue canada and request her Option C printout from them (it is a piece of paper with income/tax information on it) . Its free and comes in the mail in a few weeks.

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mandn said:
Thanks but I was talking a bout the boxes on the second page. They ask for the persons name and date of birth.

About the sponsor's Document Checklist for OUTLAND:

I am confused by #18 PROOF OF EMPLOYMENT AND/OR PROOF OF INCOME.

Right now neither of us are employed so PROOF of EMPLOYMENT does not apply to us therefore I should leave it unchecked and I don't need to submit anything for that part?

and the second part states

I am not a sole owner or a partner in an unincorporated business.

I have a savings account and I do get a small interest credit every month - do I need to show CIC this? If I don't how will they know anyway?
The 2nd page does not apply to you. So, you can write NA. (this page applies only if you sponsored someone before).

If you looked at Item 16, you must get a Option C print out from Canada Revenue Agency. This document tells the CIC if you are receiving social assistance at present.

For item 18 on 2nd page of document checklist, you have to provide an employment letter that shows how much you are earning. Also, note that if you entered zero or a minimal amount on item 3 on Form IMM 5481, then you have to show if you have any other income. If you don't have any other income, or you are not employed now, then you have to explain in a letter how you plan to support the sponsored person.