+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

NF

Dec 10, 2012
hi. I want to sponsor my fiance, he is a refugee in germany. how can i sponsor a refugee? whats the terms? we have been together for more than 3 years. i was refugee in turkey for 3 years and when i applied to come to canada i said them that im in a relationship ... i came to canada 1 month ago and he is still in germany. if i want to get marry to him we need his passport and his passport is not available...im so confused .. what can i do?im sure there is a way... please help me with your information. :'(

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
NF said:
hi. I want to sponsor my fiance, he is a refugee in germany. how can i sponsor a refugee? whats the terms? we have been together for more than 3 years. i was refugee in turkey for 3 years and when i applied to come to canada i said them that im in a relationship ... i came to canada 1 month ago and he is still in germany. if i want to get marry to him we need his passport and his passport is not available...im so confused .. what can i do?im sure there is a way... please help me with your information. :'(
Generally one does not need a passport to get married - are you certain that this is a requirement (presumably of Germany) to marry?

Also, if you lived together previously for one year and qualify for a common-law relationship, you can sponsor him.

NF

Dec 10, 2012
yes im sure passport is a requirement to marry in germany. also we didnt live together because it was a impossible thing he was in germany and i was in turkey he couldnt come to turkey because he is refugee and a refugee cant depart from current country and i couldnt go to germany for the same reason. we can get marry in a church but we have to register this marriage in germany so we need a passport to register our marriage.. from another side marriage in church is not acceptable for immigration office.. :(

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
NF said:
yes im sure passport is a requirement to marry in germany. also we didnt live together because it was a impossible thing he was in germany and i was in turkey he couldnt come to turkey because he is refugee and a refugee cant depart from current country and i couldnt go to germany for the same reason. we can get marry in a church but we have to register this marriage in germany so we need a passport to register our marriage.. from another side marriage in church is not acceptable for immigration office.. :(
I don't know what to tell - the US Embassy website for Germany lists requirements under German law (http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/getting_married) but a passport is definitely not one of them. If German law requires a passport and he cannot obtain a passport, then you cannot get married. You should confirm this and have documentary evidence, as in such a case you could then pursue sponsorship as a "conjugal partner". I will note that in order to immigrate to Canada, he would require a travel document - it doesn't have to be a passport. If he cannot obtain at least a travel document, my understanding (and I am not an immigration lawyer or consultant, so I could be wrong here) is that the only other option is an H&C application asking to be granted an exception for the travel document requirement.

wanabecanadian

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
Hello

FAMILY CLASS SPONSORSHIP / SPOUSAL / OUTLAND / BUFFALO / TRANSFERRED TO OTTAWA

Need advice with my timeline.. let me know what is to be expected next and around when.. the waiting game is not all that easy.

Launched application to sponsor my wife: Family Sponsorship Class (Spousal) - Outland (Mississauga then Buffalo)

Ecas: Received application for permanent residence on May 7, 2012.
then

I received an email on August 13, 2012: "You have met the requirements for eligibility as a sponsor. Accordingly, the Application for Permanent Residence for your relative(s) has been forwarded to a visa office abroad for further processing."

CPP Ottawa
Case Processing Pilot - Ottawa

Havent heard anything from them since then.. No mails, no emails.. We are getting worried but know the process is lengthy.. any idea when we should be getting the next communication from them and what would it be? When do you guys think the appliaction process will complete?

Any advice or shared timeline experience will be much appreciated.

Thanks

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
wanabecanadian said:
Hello

FAMILY CLASS SPONSORSHIP / SPOUSAL / OUTLAND / BUFFALO / TRANSFERRED TO OTTAWA

Need advice with my timeline.. let me know what is to be expected next and around when.. the waiting game is not all that easy.

Launched application to sponsor my wife: Family Sponsorship Class (Spousal) - Outland (Mississauga then Buffalo)

Ecas: Received application for permanent residence on May 7, 2012.
then

I received an email on August 13, 2012: "You have met the requirements for eligibility as a sponsor. Accordingly, the Application for Permanent Residence for your relative(s) has been forwarded to a visa office abroad for further processing."

CPP Ottawa
Case Processing Pilot - Ottawa

Havent heard anything from them since then.. No mails, no emails.. We are getting worried but know the process is lengthy.. any idea when we should be getting the next communication from them and what would it be? When do you guys think the appliaction process will complete?

Any advice or shared timeline experience will be much appreciated.

Thanks
In an ideal application you will hear from them three times:

- At sponsor approval
- At Passport Request time (applicant approved, need to issue COPR)
- Receipt of the COPR (and counterfoil if not visa exempt)

Since they sent your case on to Ottawa in August, it's probably sitting in queue - I'd guess February - they will look at it. If it's all there, they will issue a PPR. If not, they will ask you for more information (2+ month delay).

mandn

Dec 3, 2012
To the couples who were married before they applied for sponsorship: I was wondering about what evidence (Other than the marriage certificate) did you include to show your marriage/ relationship was genuine so CIC would believe it? I need some tips

On the Checklist it lists
For both of you
Photocopy of marriage certificate
Proof of your common-law relationship (e.g. join bank, trust, credit union, joint residential lease, mortgage, statutory declarations of individuals with personal knowledge that your relationship is genuine and continuing)
Photographs of the marriage or common-law relationship ceremony, if applicable
Proof of your conjugal relationship (e.g. commitment, housing/financial arrangements, social activities, attitudes and mindsets towards your relationship)
Declaration of severance of common-law relationship
Note: the sponsor and the applicant who are common-law or conjugal partners must provice historical evidence of their ongoing relationship.
My wife and I are applying. Which things on this list do we HAVE to send in? All of them or just ones that I bolded which mention married couples?

I want to show enough evidence so the CIC does not doubt our marriage.
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mandn said:
To the couples who were married before they applied for sponsorship: I was wondering about what evidence (Other than the marriage certificate) did you include to show your marriage/ relationship was genuine so CIC would believe it? I need some tips.
We send the following:
- wedding bills
- wedding cards / shower cards
- wedding guest list
- wedding photos
- wedding program
- copy of online wedding registry
- travel photos
- travel itineraries (e.g. flight bookings, hotel bookings)
- family event photos
- emails
- shared bills
- shared bank account statements

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
mandn said:
To the couples who were married before they applied for sponsorship: I was wondering about what evidence (Other than the marriage certificate) did you include to show your marriage/ relationship was genuine so CIC would believe it? I need some tips
Here's what we included:
-Facebook messages (only a few)
-E-mails (only a few)
-Myspace messages (only a few, we were friends before we started dating)
-Photos of gifts we got each other
-Photos of our dates
-Photos of my husband and family together(parents, grandparents etc)
-Photos of our wedding
-Letter from our pastor
-Letter from my parents
-Receipt for marriage license
-airline tickets/itineraries

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
mandn said:
We included the narrative (we each wrote one) as well as supporting evidence: letters from family and friends, chat logs and e-mail exchanges dating back several years (and in our case this was important because it established the relationship started BEFORE I'd even filed my first refused application), some phone logs, our lease on our apartment, our jointly owned car, insurance, evidence that we were beneficiaries on each other's insurance, a joint bank account that we have. We even had a letter from the owner of our gym and a letter from our family doctor.

NF

Dec 10, 2012
computergeek said:
I don't know what to tell - the US Embassy website for Germany lists requirements under German law but a passport is definitely not one of them. If German law requires a passport and he cannot obtain a passport, then you cannot get married. You should confirm this and have documentary evidence, as in such a case you could then pursue sponsorship as a "conjugal partner". I will note that in order to immigrate to Canada, he would require a travel document - it doesn't have to be a passport. If he cannot obtain at least a travel document, my understanding (and I am not an immigration lawyer or consultant, so I could be wrong here) is that the only other option is an H&C application asking to be granted an exception for the travel document requirement.
To Apply for H&C does he need to be in canada or not? and is this reason acceptable?

Yacine1967

Dec 11, 2012
HI LEON am from algeria my wife sponsor me and we are already married since more than 1 year its mention in immegration service it will takes 8 mothns to get answer but now its more than 8 months but no answer what can & my wife do ? my wife is canadian and we alferady gave the sponsorship application
best rgauards

Yacine1967

Dec 11, 2012
HI every body am from algeria my wife sponsor me and we are already married since more than 1 year its mention in immegration service it will takes 8 mothns to get answer but now its more than 8 months but no answer what can & my wife do ? my wife is canadian and we alferady gave the sponsorship application
did somebody can answer me thnx a lot
best rgauards

cdnmom

Dec 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2012
AOR Received.
12-01-2013
File Transfer...
31-01-2013
Med's Request
27-01-2014
Med's Done....
15-11-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2014
Good morning,

I have been reading your forum for a little bit and have found some very helpful information on here so....

I am wondering if someone can provide a little information.
My son and his wife have their application all ready to be sent... however we rec'd misinformation regarding the police check from CIC call centre.
They were told to wait for paperwork before going to have the police check done... we were concerned this may delay the sponsorship application so I called again and was told to include the police check with the initial application.
They went to have the police check done, but because she had changed her name on her National identity card it didn't match her passport... so they had to go have her name changed on her passport before the police would do the background check. It will take a week to get the police check back and then mailing time...
So my question is... and sorry for rambling... Can we submit the sponsorship application and forward the police check when we receive it??
Or will he get moved to the missing document pile... and then up sitting for extended period of time.

Thank you :)

MUMPY

Star Member
Apr 11, 2012
FARIDKOT
Category........
Visa Office......
DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-NOV-2011
Med's Done....
ALONG WITH FILE SUBMISSION
Interview........
WAVED I GUESS
Passport Req..
23-FEB-2012
VISA ISSUED...
NO IDEA
LANDED..........
VERY NEXT DAY ONCE I GET MY VISA BAGS PACKED
hello everyone i got decision made on my application this saturday and its showing my wifes adress its now showing my indian address am just wondering if someone faced same situation am really stressed
thanks