Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2012
File Transfer...
Nov 2012 to Ottawa, June 2013 to Isl, Feb 2014 to London
munchkin80 said:
hi,

Have I paid the correct fees????? Just wanted to ask everyone on this thread if they've always paid the same amount when they were sponsoring their spouces....

I am sponsorsing from Islamabad and I paid $1040

Bill 110

Dec 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tuyen said:
Well, he said it was a credit card debt...so whether he made 50 payments or zero payments, it doesn't change anything because it's still a civil matter. Fraud doesn't apply UNLESS he misrepresented himself (i.e. got the credit card under a false name). But as long as his application was done properly and legally, then fraud is ruled out because of due diligence.

Before they gave him the credit card and set his credit limit, the credit card company was required to do their necessary homework (due diligence) to ascertain the applicant's credit worthiness. The fact that they granted him a credit card with a $10,000 limit shows that the financial institution did their background checks on him, and determined that he was not a high-risk case. That determination immediately places the onus back on the financial institution in case of default, and their options are limited to either suing him in civil court, or trying to recover part of the funds through a collection agency. There's no avenue by which they can have him charged or arrested for anything. He applied --> they performed due diligence --> they gave him the credit card --> they assumed the risk.
Thank you Tuyen i will uptade when i have something new i inform my uncle to look after it too.But im confident that you are right about it.I want to ask i have a prepaid visa can a pay the sponsorship fees online with this card or i need a normal credit card or debit card.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
frozensealion said:
Scylla,
Things became serious after my landing. After my landing I went back to US, decided that I will move on with my life since he was not ready for a future together. I advised I was moving, and Canada has a new program for my profession that offer good opportunities. At that point he realized he wanted to get married and we decided to move together to Canada; after me staying with my parents in Venezuela for 6 months.
Why does CIC think you were in a common law relationship before you landed? When you submitted the application to sponsor him - did you say you had been living together before you landed?

Kev1n

Nov 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/06/2014
AOR Received.
01/08/2014
File Transfer...
01/08/2014 ( 26/09/2014--AOR2)
Med's Request
14/10/2014
Med's Done....
17/08/2013
Passport Req..
14/10/2014
john6514520 said:
Can someone please help me. :-\

I am a permenant resident and work in Canada. My wife recently came to Canada on a student visa. She got the student visa before getting married. We then got married and she then came to Canada. However, at the port of entry, when asked about her marital status, she mentioned she was still single, as she thought telling them she was married would create suspicion since at the time her application for a student visa was submitted, she was single. I have no idea why she did that, as student are not banned from getting married! Anyways, we can't change the past. I am now looking to sponsor her through the inland application process. I am concerned that if we show our marriage in our home country on a date before she entered canada, we might run into issues for misrepresentation at the port of entry. To overcome that, I am thinking of registering marriage in Canada and getting the marriage certificate here and using that for the inland application process. We have been in a relationship for over a year. We have lots of evidence to show our relationship is genuine, lots of pictures, emails, chats, etc. Do you think this is the right way of doing it? or do i have any other options? Any help would be highly appreciated!

frozensealion

Sep 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
dec 22 2011
Doc's Request.
dec 5 2012
AOR Received.
never
Med's Request
May 12 2013
Med's Done....
May 18 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
excempt fotos and copies req Jun 17 2013
scylla said:
Why does CIC think you were in a common law relationship before you landed? When you submitted the application to sponsor him - did you say you had been living together before you landed?
Yes, I have disclosed all the information of our relationship as it is required. I was renting a place with all my friends, and some of them got married and other just went back to Venezuela. and I did not have the credit or means to pay for a whole apartment by myself, and I was going to rent a room where he was living. so we rented a 2 room apartment, but other than that we have nothing together- property, bank account, morgage- are you a consultant/attorney? how much are your fees?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
frozensealion said:
Yes, I have disclosed all the information of our relationship as it is required. I was renting a place with all my friends, and some of them got married and other just went back to Venezuela. and I did not have the credit or means to pay for a whole apartment by myself, and I was going to rent a room where he was living. so we rented a 2 room apartment, but other than that we have nothing together- property, bank account, morgage- are you a consultant/attorney? how much are your fees?
I'm not a consultant or attorney.

However at this point I think it would be a very good idea to start working with one. Because the two of you had the same address before you landed, it looks like CIC has decided you were common law. I think you need all the help you can get to answer the letter and provide information to prove otherwise. Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to help you.

mandn

Dec 3, 2012
Hi. Currently my wife has a work permit for LCG program. However when we send our sponsor applications we are also going to send in a separate form for an OWP called "Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker" IMM5710 . At the top of the form am I to understand she should select "A work permit with a new employer" under "I am apply for one or more of the following"?

The rest of the form is pretty straightforward until we got down to the "DETAILS OF INTENDED WORK IN CANADA"
We do not know exactly who her next employer will be and their address etc. So we tried to write N/A for many of the options however a few sections have some problems

#4 Brief description of duties - does not allow N/A as an answer
#5 Duration of expected employement does not allow N/A in the "From" and "To" boxes
#6 LMO # does also not allow N/A
#7 Quebec Acceptance Certificate does not allow N/A for the date (she does not have one so we were going to leave it blank but CIC says never leave anything blank.)

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bill 110 said:
Thank you Tuyen i will uptade when i have something new i inform my uncle to look after it too.But im confident that you are right about it.

I want to ask i have a prepaid visa can a pay the sponsorship fees online with this card or i need a normal credit card or debit card.
Only one way to find out: try it and see what happens.

Most places accept all types of credit cards - whether they're standard cards, prepaid cards, or single-load gift cards. I've seen only a very few exceptions where a web site clearly says "you can not use VISA gift cards on our site", but the majority of them don't care how you pay, as long as they get your money.

lukektm

Nov 13, 2012
b]Dear Friends,

Hello. I am Mr. Luke from India. unfortunately i am not getting direct ticket to toronto.
i just want to know how to enter canada from new york.i have a us visit visa now. which is the cheapest way of getting it. how to complete the immigration formalities there . i will have to come back to india in 1 day. and i will go back to canada after 1 year. my visa will expire in december 2012.

can some one please help me and guide me.

thanking you
with warm regards.
luke.[/b]

jiada

Star Member
Oct 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi to everyone.. I'm an October applicant and my husband is from Quebec so it means were still going to file for our CSQ which we did when he got approved as a sponsor. My question is if I got my PR can we move to Vancouver like were going to meet there and stay there for good? Thanks.

sharif62

Dec 7, 2012
hi every body, I have received an email to pay the landing fee for my application. it was written that my application is on background check. do u know how ling will it take to complete the application after paying the landing fee? also how long will it take to finish the background check? thanks
my category is fam and I have applied from ankara

Laurier

Dec 6, 2012
wow .. there are 440 posts here , that's gonna be alot of reading but this first sticky post by Leon ---> thank you Leon , you did me and other ppl a great service. I work in the federal public sevice for 25 years now and I'm trying to sift thru all these rules , I can imagine how some others feel.

here's some background about my question: my wife has left me and we are in an amicable de-facto separation mode. We will get ourselves an amicable divorce w/o lawyers in about 10 months from now. I met a woman from the Philipines who is here in Canada on visitor's visa status. We are fast falling in love but I'm no fool. She tells me she got tricked into marriage (in Dubai) about 10 years ago by a man who was already married. When she found out she left him ofc but never got officially divorced because it would involve lawyers which she could not afford. I plan to have her move in with me and live with me in a common law or conjugal relationship. We'll get to know each other that way and my intention for her is for her to start a new life, get qualified in child care which she's doing unofficially right now , be happy and have a good life with me and ... become a become a Canadian citizen. I can support my ex-wife which I do willingly out of love and respect for her and i can provide for my new partner in life easily ... that is not an issue.

My issue or question(s) is the following: will the fact that my new partner in life was previously married have an effect on her application to become a Canadian citizen? Is there something that needs to be done first before she applies to become a Canadian citizen? I use the word Canadian citizen but I believe the correct term is permanent resident. Right? My other concern would be , if it takes 12 to 18 months to process the application , what is the best mechanism for her to remain with me (in Montreal btw) on visitor visa status for that time period?

Thank you to all who will respond , this forum is terrific

Laurier

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Laurier said:
My issue or question(s) is the following: will the fact that my new partner in life was previously married have an effect on her application to become a Canadian citizen?
She wasn't previously-married. She still is.

Laurier said:
Is there something that needs to be done first before she applies to become a Canadian citizen?
Yes, she will need to get a divorce first from her current husband so that you can sponsor her.

Laurier said:
what is the best mechanism for her to remain with me (in Montreal btw) on visitor visa status for that time period?
For as long as she remains married, the only way she'll be allowed to stay in Canada is by extending her visitor's visa. There isn't any method available to you for sponsoring her while she's still married.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
tuyen said:
She wasn't previously-married. She still is.
Actually, I would disagree. She never was. Under Canadian law, if her husband's marriage to her was not lawful, it is not recognized. Since she left him because she found out he was already married, under Canadian law she is not married - even if she is married under Sharia law.

tuyen said:
Yes, she will need to get a divorce first from her current husband so that you can sponsor her.
Not true. First, from what the OP posted, her marriage isn't valid under Canadian law. Second, once they have lived together for a year, she is eligible for a common-law sponsorship. She can remain married to someone else, provided that the previous relationship has ended.

tuyen said:
For as long as she remains married, the only way she'll be allowed to stay in Canada is by extending her visitor's visa. There isn't any method available to you for sponsoring her while she's still married.
Her temporary status in Canada is independent of her marital status.

She can remain as a visitor, student, or worker, provided she can qualify.

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
computergeek said:
Actually, I would disagree. She never was. Under Canadian law, if her husband's marriage to her was not lawful, it is not recognized. Since she left him because she found out he was already married, under Canadian law she is not married - even if she is married under Sharia law.
Wouldn't it be far better for her to get the divorce, rather than pin her hopes on a legal technicality which could have long, drawn-out consequences?

Also, I did consider the status of her marriage and whether or not it would, in fact, even be seen as valid under Canadian law. But the reason I didn't dismiss it so quickly is because we don't know the facts. All we know for sure is that she was - and is - married. Everything else is hearsay from our vantage point. We have no way of knowing if her husband really did have another wife, and she left him because of that, or whether she left him because she didn't like his table manners, or because she couldn't stand his body odour.

So if she puts down "single" on her application, and CIC discovers through routine investigative procedure that she's in fact married, then good luck with that application.