+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Connie77

Star Member
Nov 23, 2011
Holy Crap,

I seriously thought your post was mine, I cant beleive how much we have in common, you make sure you pm me, I was wondering did you end up getting to rome for the phyisical, I hope you did because its better to do it now and not after because it will only delay you. I know 250 euros is a big deal but we found a cheapo hotel on trivago.it and it worked out, plus we got to see rome:)
Cant wait to hear from you as you can immagine it is quite rare finding someone that made the same decisions i made....Thanks and Talk Soon!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
EliandMaria said:
FILLING OUT PART 3: COUNTRY SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS -- ISRAEL

we are coming from Israel...do i need to provide both documentation (national Id and birth certificate????)
If you include the birth certificate, you don't NEED to provide the national ID as well, but you can if you have one. Make sure it is translated into English by a certified translator if you do so.

BBG83

Aug 15, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
13-12-2011
Passport Req..
Exempt
Maiden and married name

In the Application to Sponsor it asks if I, the sponsor, has used any other names. While I haven't legally changed my name, I go personally by my married name. As such, some of the emails between my husband and I say my married name instead of my maiden name. Do I need to put it on the Application to Sponsor or is it okay to just add a note to the emails I print out saying I go by my married name in my personal life?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Re: Maiden and married name

BBG83 said:
In the Application to Sponsor it asks if I, the sponsor, has used any other names. While I haven't legally changed my name, I go personally by my married name. As such, some of the emails between my husband and I say my married name instead of my maiden name. Do I need to put it on the Application to Sponsor or is it okay to just add a note to the emails I print out saying I go by my married name in my personal life?
Put the married name in the "any other names" section, yes.

cappuccino123

Mar 19, 2012
Leon said:
Your friend is wrong.

If you marry very soon after landing as a PR, your main problem is that they may be ticked off that you were in a serious relationship when you landed and they may ask why you did not marry before you got your PR and add your husband to your application at that point. They may ask if you did not live with your husband before getting your PR because if you had lived with him for 12 months before getting your PR, you would qualify as common law partners which means you should have included him in your application. However, if you were not living with him, you have nothing to worry about and you can simply say that you did not want to rush the marriage just so you could add him to your application. You have done nothing wrong.

The main focus of immigration is always that the relationship is genuine.

You do not have to show minimum income to sponsor a spouse. However, it has to be clear that you have means to support yourselves. As a PR, you must be residing in Canada in order to sponsor so if you go back and get married soon, you can stay with your husband for a while but then you must return to Canada in order to apply to sponsor him. If you have a job already before you send in the sponsorship application, that would help as you would be able to show some level of supporting yourself.

Through India, sponsorship is pretty fast. He might be able to join you within 6 months after applying. You should not leave Canada during the sponsorship processing. If you must, do not stay away more than 2-3 weeks and make sure you are checking your messages and somebody is checking your mail in case immigration tries to contact you.

You can not get in trouble for leaving Canada for 6 months right after getting your PR. Back before 2002 you had to stay in Canada 6 months out of any 12 in order to keep your PR but they changed that to 2 years out of 5. You can therefore leave for up to 3 years without having a problem.
Trust me Leon, you are the guiding star for the all newbie's who have little knowledge about Spousal sponsorship (one like me). God bless you and this forum. This forum has helped me a lot :-* :-* :-*

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cappuccino123 said:
Trust me Leon, you are the guiding star for the all newbie's who have little knowledge about Spousal sponsorship (one like me). God bless you and this forum. This forum has helped me a lot :-* :-* :-*
Good luck with your application and don't forget to come here and ask if you are not sure about something :)

EliandMaria

Feb 4, 2012
Kitchener Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
12/17/2012
CharlieD10 said:
If you include the birth certificate, you don't NEED to provide the national ID as well, but you can if you have one. Make sure it is translated into English by a certified translator if you do so.

Passport wont do? On the Passport is says when I was born and my current citizenship..which is Israel. (I am being sponsored by my wife)

cappuccino123

Mar 19, 2012
Leon said:
Good luck with your application and don't forget to come here and ask if you are not sure about something :)
Yes, My Captain Leon. I will certainly come up to you for any help in regards to Spouse sponsorship. If you don't mind by God grace if my spouse sponsorship gets approved I would like to see you in person to thank you. You are genius.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
EliandMaria said:
Passport wont do? On the Passport is says when I was born and my current citizenship..which is Israel. (I am being sponsored by my wife)
Your passport is counted as a travel document. It is not also counted under civil status and identity documents, which is why you need the birth certificate or national ID, separate and apart from your passport.

ohliuw

Star Member
May 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
AOR Received.
23-08-2012
File Transfer...
27-08-2012
Hi,

I plan to marry a Thai girl soon and sponsor her to come to Canada. According to the CIC website, the processing time in Singapore is 22 months. This is insane, they expect me to away from my family for 2 years!!!

I have a question. Is there a way for her to come here on a visitors visa as my spouse and apply from within Canada?

If not, may I have her go to Beijing (fake residence) and apply from there, as the listed period is 5 months?

Worse come to worse, I will leave my job at the parliament and move to Thailand, 2 years is ridiculous!

thanks for your input!

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
ohliuw said:
Hi,

I plan to marry a Thai girl soon and sponsor her to come to Canada. According to the CIC website, the processing time in Singapore is 22 months. This is insane, they expect me to away from my family for 2 years!!!

I have a question. Is there a way for her to come here on a visitors visa as my spouse and apply from within Canada?

If not, may I have her go to Beijing (fake residence) and apply from there, as the listed period is 5 months?

Worse come to worse, I will leave my job at the parliament and move to Thailand, 2 years is ridiculous!

thanks for your input!
If applying from Beijing, she will need to show proof of legal residence there.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
tink23 said:
If applying from Beijing, she will need to show proof of legal residence there.
And that she was admitted to the country for a minimum of one full year.

ohliuw

Star Member
May 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
AOR Received.
23-08-2012
File Transfer...
27-08-2012
scylla said:
And that she was admitted to the country for a minimum of one full year.
Thanks,
Maybe I could get her enrolled into a Chinese language program (about $2000/year). Really not willing to wait 2 years, it just doesn't make sense ...

So no chance of coming to Canada on a visa after we get married?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ohliuw said:
Thanks,
Maybe I could get her enrolled into a Chinese language program (about $2000/year). Really not willing to wait 2 years, it just doesn't make sense ...

So no chance of coming to Canada on a visa after we get married?
You can try to get a visa for her to visit Canada but if you are married, they will likely believe she is a risk to overstay. It is extremely hard to get a visa in Thailand. There was a woman on this forum who was actually living in Thailand with her Thai husband and she had tried for 3 years to get him a visit visa to come visit her family in Canada without results. In the end, I think she had to sponsor him for PR just so he could visit.

David88

Apr 7, 2011
I am in a process of sponsoring my wife from Pakistan. I submitted the application in October 2010. After a long process my wife received a letter from CHC Islamabad on March 12, 2012 saying:

-"your visa(s) appear(s) to be ready for issuance"

-"You should not commit to any travel plans, purchase tickets or take any irrevocable action such as selling of property, or resign from employment unless you have received your passports and visas."

-"Before we can issue visa(s) you must:"

and then there are instructions for submission of information which has already provided to them in different application forms such as present mailing address, applicant birth date, height, weight and latest photos etc. Furthermore they have explained return of passports to the applicants under the following headings:

-Applicants residing in Afghanistan or outside Pakistan
Supply proper mailing address
Do not send passport(s) through international courier if you are currently residing outside Pakistan.
-Applicants residing in Pakistan, Afghanistan and outside Pakistan.
This office cannot send passport to P.O box or village address.
This office does not send passport by registered or ordinary mail.
This office cannot send passport outside Pakistan.
-Photo instructions to photographer
This include instructions to photographer which most of them already know.

The required info was submitted on March 20, 2012. Since then CHC has not requested submission of passport. Can anybody tell me how much further time will they take to issue the visa??? Please note that my wife hasn't been interviewed throughout the whole process.