Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
koala18 said:
I am filling out the IMM008 Generic Application. I have some questions:

1. Even though my mom is not a qualified dependent, I can still include her there so that I can sponsor her in the future, right?
2. What is a National Identity Card? Can I use my passport details for this as well?
1) For the purposes of a spousal sponsorship, a parent is NOT a dependent. You include your parents' names for information purposes where requested on the IMM5406.

2) If you don't have a National ID card, simply put N/A.

Yes, include your middle name, it is a given name.

koala18

Star Member
Jan 16, 2012
CharlieD10 said:
1) For the purposes of a spousal sponsorship, a parent is NOT a dependent. You include your parents' names for information purposes where requested on the IMM5406.

2) If you don't have a National ID card, simply put N/A.

Yes, include your middle name, it is a given name.
Thanks Charlie!

ChellyBear

Mar 9, 2012
Hello,

I am a US Citizen, 18 years old, I finish high school in May, I have no work history, nor any children.
He is a Canadian Citizen, 23 years old, he is currently working a good job, has a college education, currently living with his mom.

We have been together for 5 years 6 years this September; we have many many photos , witnesses, and we know each others family.

I have done tons of research... It's just.. all merging in my mind.

He is coming to visit me in the US in April.
Which lead to question #1
If we get married when he visits me in Florida, will the marriage be valid to the Canadian government?

It took my sister who married another US citizen 2 weeks after getting married to get her Marriage Certificate.
Will it take the same amount of time for a Canadian and an American to get the certificate?

If we get married in Toronto, how long will it take to get a valid marriage certificate?

After we get married and receive the marriage certificate, will we immediately be able to apply for Spousal Sponsorship?
If not, how long must we wait?
If so, I've read that the Sponsor acceptance can take up to 55 days.
And the Sponsored (Me) can take up to 11 months to be processed and accepts, but some say it will most likely take 4-6 months. Is this true?

The following information will lead to another question, probably tmi but I just want to be as specific as possible. -So we have been apartment hunting, and we found a decently priced one in a great area of Toronto and close to our friends and his family. With all the monthly costs we will have, this includes rent, OSAP payments (he studied), transportation, food, phones, and internet (required for his work). He's a certified architect technologist. He gets paid $2000 a month; we would need $1930 for the necessities alone. Would this be considered insufficient financial support?

If it is, would having another $1000 saved just in case suffice to counter that..?

So sorry for so many questions...
I posted on the Buffalo thread as well, just wanted to see if there will be different responses or if the questions that someone doesn't know the answer to on the buffalo thread.. Maybe someone knows here..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ChellyBear said:
If we get married when he visits me in Florida, will the marriage be valid to the Canadian government?

Yes

It took my sister who married another US citizen 2 weeks after getting married to get her Marriage Certificate.
Will it take the same amount of time for a Canadian and an American to get the certificate?

I don't see why it should take longer

After we get married and receive the marriage certificate, will we immediately be able to apply for Spousal Sponsorship?

Yes

And the Sponsored (Me) can take up to 11 months to be processed and accepts, but some say it will most likely take 4-6 months. Is this true?

Yes, if you apply outland through Buffalo

He gets paid $2000 a month; we would need $1930 for the necessities alone. Would this be considered insufficient financial support?

They look at how much he makes. They don't go through your bills. I don't see a problem if he is making 2000 a month. 2 people should be able to live on that just fine.

JEFFandJANET

Star Member
Mar 12, 2012
Calgary Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-12-2011
Doc's Request.
24-02-2012
File Transfer...
21-02-2012
Med's Done....
28-11-2011
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
24-02-2012 Passport Sent.: 16-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
21-04-2012 DM on ECAS...: 19-04-2012
LANDED..........
13-06-2012
ChellyBear said:
Hello,

I am a US Citizen, 18 years old, I finish high school in May, I have no work history, nor any children.
He is a Canadian Citizen, 23 years old, he is currently working a good job, has a college education, currently living with his mom.

We have been together for 5 years 6 years this September; we have many many photos , witnesses, and we know each others family.

If we get married in Toronto, how long will it take to get a valid marriage certificate?

The following information will lead to another question, probably tmi but I just want to be as specific as possible. -So we have been apartment hunting, and we found a decently priced one in a great area of Toronto and close to our friends and his family. With all the monthly costs we will have, this includes rent, OSAP payments (he studied), transportation, food, phones, and internet (required for his work). He's a certified architect technologist. He gets paid $2000 a month; we would need $1930 for the necessities alone. Would this be considered insufficient financial support?

If it is, would having another $1000 saved just in case suffice to counter that..?

I posted on the Buffalo thread as well, just wanted to see if there will be different responses or if the questions that someone doesn't know the answer to on the buffalo thread.. Maybe someone knows here..
Hi Chellybear, Here is my 2 cents worth.
Question 1 - your marriage should of course be valid in Canada as long as you are both legal to marry (both are of age and both unmarried etc) and are married by an officially recognized process, dont miss out any steps to ensure legality. I would expect the marriage certificate to take about the same amount of time. I see no reason for it to take longer. You may immediately apply for spousal sponsorship (family class permanent residence). You of course need all the documents required, see the application for the list of requirements, not hard to get them and some you can get before you even marry. Whether you marry in Florida or Toronto shouldn't make any difference.

Yes the sponsorship part takes usually around 55 to 65 days, it fluctuates month to month depending on how many people applying and the backlog, and of course if it is straight forward or complex. I think you have a reasonable expectancy of acceptance for sponsorship once legally married. This is the part where they are mainly concerned with the financial requirements. Although I think your future spouse is below the threshold they like to see, I dont think it would matter because as a spouse they tend to overlook the financial requirements, whereas for other family class members they would be more inclined to stick to the thresholds. He does at least have a decent income so that helps. I think the normal financial threshold they like to see is income of around 40K.

As for the permanent residence part of it. It can be as little as 4 months if you have a very straight forward cut and dried strong case. You have long history yes that helps, documented as much as possible. One negative is your age. Under 25 I have been told gets scrutinized to a greater degree. Thus don't be surprised if more is required, like interview, extra documents etc and longer time frame than the 4 months minimum. Being so young they automatically have more concerns. You started dating very early which may throw up red flags. You are from the US which is a plus. Honestly overall it might be a little tricky.

You may consider, marriage first, then try to get temporary visitor status and stay as long as possible in Canada and build a married life history. Follow all the rules. Be honest about everything. After a year of marriage apply for the permanent residence. Yes it means probably you will have to spend some time apart, with more commuting back and forth in between temporary stays in Canada. This would definitely give you a better shot at permanent residence, IMHO. Because you are so young they may want to see the marriage tested before granting you permanent residence, thus a year of marriage under your belt I think would go a long way to proving the validity of the marriage to govt officials. Use the time responsibly to build some financial stability.

A word of caution, whatever route you chOose to do. This can be a very frustrating process if you run up against any roadblocks. Also can create a strain on finances with commuting back and forth etc. Be VERY sure this is a path you are willing to take, and your relationship is solid enough to handle this before deciding to get married. Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

All this is just my humble opinion, hope some of it helps and good luck with what you choose to do.

rucy

Mar 17, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
the CPC in Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1st april 2011
Doc's Request.
27 June 2011
File Transfer...
3nd March 2012
Interview........
2nd May 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21st Jun 2012
LANDED..........
21st Jun 2012
Hi computergeek

why i have to request for my case notes (CAIPS/GCSM)? For what? And what is it?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
rucy said:
Hi computergeek

why i have to request for my case notes (CAIPS/GCSM)? For what? And what is it?
CAIPS/GCSM notes are the electronic notes that the various people processing your application make on your file. By retrieving them you can determine the status of your application and if there are any issues with your file (for example, if they have your e-mail address wrong, or your physical address wrong.) If there are doubts about your relationship, they will be stated in the computer system notes.

jattu1980

Star Member
Mar 3, 2010
Fairfax, VA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the information. But in order to get her tourist visa, she needs a letter of invitation from someone in Canada and which is me. Will it cause problems if the person who is giving the letter of invitation is the same person she is getting married to?

GOGOGO said:
There are quite a few forumers here staying with their spouses in Canada while the files are being processed outland. If your wife is granted visitor visa to Canada, please make sure she doesn't overstay.

EDIT: You can also look at a recent thread re vistor visa:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/visitor-visa-t98767.0.html;msg1336825#msg1336825

cjd

Star Member
Jun 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Sept 11
AOR Received.
28 Jan 12
File Transfer...
13 Dec 11
Med's Request
25 June 11
Med's Done....
7 July 11
Passport Req..
Jan 28 - Feb 16 '11 ppr sent plus add'l docs
VISA ISSUED...
May 15, 2012
LANDED..........
June 11,2012 by Eva Airlines
hi everyone..i just sent my passport and some docs they requested to me last feb 16 and my ecas says
we started processing your application on feb 22.
and stll waiting for the result.. just wanna know if they're through of checking the application since they requested already our passport.. thanks everyone wish you get all your visa.

zmikers

Feb 26, 2012
Unbelievable. After all of your wonderful help and helping me finally understand the correct procedure, my situation has changed :eek:

So, here is my situation, in a nutshell: I am Canadian living in Taiwan. My Taiwanese wife is pregnant with our child (due sep 26). Now, I have found out we need to be in Canada no later than December 15th.

Should we.........
A) Start the application now and move to Canada while the application is being processed, telling them at the border that we have the PR visa application sent or........
B) Move to Canada in December and then start the application in-land once we arrive? (Taiwanese are now visa free when visiting Canada)

Thanks again everyone and sorry for so many questions!

mfanous007

Sep 2, 2011
if you get married in Ontario, it takes 10-12 weeks for the marriage to get registered before you can receive the marriage certificate, once that time is passed then yes it only takes a couple weeks to get the certificate once you apply for it.
I (US citizen) just got married just over two weeks ago, we found out we have to wait before we can apply.

ChellyBear said:
Hello,

indian_spouse

Star Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16 Jan 2012
AOR Received.
16th march 2012
Med's Done....
8 Dec 2011
Passport Req..
27th march 2012
VISA ISSUED...
28 June 2012( DM)
LANDED..........
12-14 July 2012
hi! is this jimmy from dehradun?
well, i am ur neighbour; met you through Tariyal uncle.
well, my husband has applied for spouse sponsored visa.. we applied on 13th Jan. its past 60 days, guess..he should get sponsorship approval..and then my file would be transferred to new delhi.
in interim, i applied for tourist visa..but the same got rejected..as i said, i am going to visit my husband.. the only objection raised was that they not sure if i will come back.. as i quit my work.. so very important, that if you planning to apply for tourist visa..you may have some relative, she can visit n show that she is coming to visit some relative... and pls check if a marriage in canada is possible for you to register therafter.
as it is you will have ur social marriage here.
cz now when i look back, i think, we got married in india. but what i could have done is..i should have gone on tourist visa n then got again married in canada n registered our marriage there n applied for inland application...
coz this whole waiting business is damn frustrating...!!

Regards

jattu1980 said:
Thanks for the information. But in order to get her tourist visa, she needs a letter of invitation from someone in Canada and which is me. Will it cause problems if the person who is giving the letter of invitation is the same person she is getting married to?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
zmikers said:
Unbelievable. After all of your wonderful help and helping me finally understand the correct procedure, my situation has changed :eek:

So, here is my situation, in a nutshell: I am Canadian living in Taiwan. My Taiwanese wife is pregnant with our child (due sep 26). Now, I have found out we need to be in Canada no later than December 15th.

Should we.........
A) Start the application now and move to Canada while the application is being processed, telling them at the border that we have the PR visa application sent or........
B) Move to Canada in December and then start the application in-land once we arrive? (Taiwanese are now visa free when visiting Canada)

Thanks again everyone and sorry for so many questions!
Start the application and then move has my vote. You have no idea how the situation is going to change from day to day, it is best to get this out of the way if you can, or you might find yourself unable to deal with it once you arrive in Canada for one reason or another, and your wife is nowhere near getting medical coverage when she becomes due, etc etc.

zmikers

Feb 26, 2012
CharlieD10 said:
Start the application and then move has my vote. You have no idea how the situation is going to change from day to day, it is best to get this out of the way if you can, or you might find yourself unable to deal with it once you arrive in Canada for one reason or another, and your wife is nowhere near getting medical coverage when she becomes due, etc etc.
Thanks Charlie! Any other votes out there?

piezito78

Mar 8, 2012
Address is now showing in ECAS but this time it is showing Canada's address only status (application received & medical exam received)
Can anybody please tell, what does it mean (Canada's address showing in ECAS instead of Colombian address)?

Yesterday Ecas shows the Canadian & Colombian Address