+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

nicck99

Star Member
Mar 22, 2019
Hi Folks!
I got prearrival letter from CIC for my spousal sponsorship. how long it will take for decision? Background and biometrics are still under progress. any idea??

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
yes, We gave the biometrics already when cic requested but it show in progress
biometric requested on Oct 05, 2023
biometric given on Oct 10, 2023
I should have put the emphasis differently: are you sure it was the pre-arrival services letter?

(I'm not calling into question what you think you saw - just that people do get the types of letters mixed up)

nicck99

Star Member
Mar 22, 2019
I should have put the emphasis differently: are you sure it was the pre-arrival services letter?

(I'm not calling into question what you think you saw - just that people do get the types of letters mixed up)
bro how many times i need to write Pre arrival means pre arrival. no question ask. If you have an idea speak up, if not thats alright bro. Let other people reply. Thank you though

Rajvinder Singh

Nov 30, 2018
I submitted spousal pr application on 24 dec but no acknowledgement email after submission saying the application submitted do not reply. But in portal it shows time and date of submission and status says submitted.
Is it normal??

nicck99

Star Member
Mar 22, 2019
I submitted spousal pr application on 24 dec but no acknowledgement email after submission saying the application submitted do not reply. But in portal it shows time and date of submission and status says submitted.
Is it normal??
don't worry bro. Its totally normal processing. Once they acknowledge they will send you an AOR(Acknowledgment of Receipt) which generally takes 1-2 months depends upon case by case. In mine it took exactly 2 months to get AOR after submission.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
bro how many times i need to write Pre arrival means pre arrival. no question ask. If you have an idea speak up, if not thats alright bro. Let other people reply. Thank you though
My idea is that it is not pre-arrival and you have made a mistake. Good luck to you though.

danger52

Nov 15, 2023
Hi folks -- Uploading Supporting and Additional supporting documents right now but I am a bit confused. There is now a new section called Supporting Documents for your immigration program (which I'll call SD), and below is another section called Additional Supporting Documents (which I'll call ASD).

Under Supporting Documents for your immigration program I see,
Travel documents and passports
* Police certificates and clearances
* Photo(s)
* Birth Certificates
* Proof of Status

Under Additional Supporting Documents, I see a dropdown which has about 50 options that can be seen here.

Questions:
  1. in Supporting Docs, other than Proof of Status, I think all of the other documents are for the Principle Applicant correct?
  2. in Supporting Docs, Photo(s) are just PR photos which are front and back right? If I have a high res digital of the photo, can I attach that instead?
  3. I see overlap between Supporting Docs and Additional Supporting Docs, in that case, what should I upload where? For example, I've attache my Notice of Assessment and Stubs (two separate files) in Supporting Docs under Employment/Source of Support section. However, in Additional Supporting Docs also has "Notice of Assessment" as an option. Should I do it in ASD then?
  4. In Document Checklist, Page 9, it asks for up to 4 documents one of which is "Other proof that relationship is recognized by your riends and/or family". I have letters from family members acknowledging the relationship and marriage date. Where should these , social media image screenshots etc? Should I be uploading this as "Other" option or should I be using "Letter of Support"

Aarohi sharma

Dec 29, 2023
Hello everyone,

I have few query regarding my spousal sponsorship application. Right now I am on my initial stage of application. So I have became permanent resident on august and got married to my long time boyfriend on September 2023. I need to apply for his PR. Right now he is international student living and studying in Toronto and I am living in Manitoba because of my job. we are planning to move to Manitoba after his studies got completed ( winter 2024 is his last semester). Can I apply on spousal sponsorship in Canada or should I go with Spousal sponsorship family class. we both are living in Canada but not together. Please help me with this.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone,

I have few query regarding my spousal sponsorship application. Right now I am on my initial stage of application. So I have became permanent resident on august and got married to my long time boyfriend on September 2023. I need to apply for his PR. Right now he is international student living and studying in Toronto and I am living in Manitoba because of my job. we are planning to move to Manitoba after his studies got completed ( winter 2024 is his last semester). Can I apply on spousal sponsorship in Canada or should I go with Spousal sponsorship family class. we both are living in Canada but not together. Please help me with this.
If you are not living together, you must apply under 'outland' (which I think is called family class, formally, so you named it correctly). But you can apply now without waiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: scylla

whenhaveiever

Dec 15, 2023
Hi ppl,

I have got a PR confirmation email and I replied with all my information. I am waiting for an another mail with PR portal link. It's been almost 10 days. I have checked PR portal as well, No changes in that portal as well. PR tracker has the copr document number but decision is still IN PROGRESS.

Is this the case now ? Someone in the similar situation ??
Same here. It's been about three weeks for me with no change. My PR confirmation email was from Montreal, and apparently which office you get makes a big difference in the timeline? But I don't know much about that.

whenhaveiever

Dec 15, 2023
Hi everyone, a quick question, where should I submit additional documents like the proofs of our relationship, our marriage certificate, police reports, her passports, and all documents that are asked in imm5533e? should I upload them with the form itself in a separate file?
Where are you uploading the form? When I uploaded mine, there were separate places in the application portal to upload all of those items, including an additional spot for uploading anything that didn't have it's own spot.

Rahuljoshi

Jul 12, 2020
Hello Everyone,
I became a Canadian PR in September, 2022 by landing in Canada but then travelled back to another country in which I am residing currently. I got married after becoming a PR and want to raise a PR for my wife but when I read the the requirements for raising a PR for spouse, it states that one has to be in Canada for raising a PR application for your spouse if the primary applicant is a PR holder. If this is true then I will have to first travel to Canada and raise a PR request for my wife and only after the application is approved, etc., will she be able to travel to Canada on a PR. Can someone please confirm and suggest on the below:
1) Do I need to be in Canada if I have to apply a PR for my spouse?
2) I am travelling to Canada in July 2024 for spending a few days at my relatives but I will again come back to my current country of residence. Can I apply a PR for my spouse during that time since I will be inside Canada in July 2024?

sidhuripudaman

Star Member
Sep 4, 2019
Hello Everyone,
I became a Canadian PR in September, 2022 by landing in Canada but then travelled back to another country in which I am residing currently. I got married after becoming a PR and want to raise a PR for my wife but when I read the the requirements for raising a PR for spouse, it states that one has to be in Canada for raising a PR application for your spouse if the primary applicant is a PR holder. If this is true then I will have to first travel to Canada and raise a PR request for my wife and only after the application is approved, etc., will she be able to travel to Canada on a PR. Can someone please confirm and suggest on the below:
1) Do I need to be in Canada if I have to apply a PR for my spouse?
2) I am travelling to Canada in July 2024 for spending a few days at my relatives but I will again come back to my current country of residence. Can I apply a PR for my spouse during that time since I will be inside Canada in July 2024?
I think you are interpreting it a little differently. By living in Canada does not mean you need to travel for a few days to apply from there. It means you should be a resident to be able to sponsor not just go there to apply. By resident I mean, filing taxes there, residing there full time etc.
So from what it sounds like to me, you might not be eligible to sponsor, but I could be wrong, feel free to correct me if I am.

Reactions: armoured