Spousal sponsorship

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Hi All,
Can we do an upfront medical for Spousal PR? as we have yet not received the Medical request and my spouse don't need to apply OWP (currently already on PGWP).
I used to be the biggest proponent of upfront medical on this forum. But with experience, I will suggest (and plead) you NOT TO go for upfront medicals.
CIC perhaps is run by either very dumb AIs or......, so even if there is any slight change in the variable in the equation, it just freezes up their whole process - and you'll see your application not moving at the same pace as of others.

Go with whatever and whenever CIC is requesting you. Dont jump the gun.

Reactions: RMR

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
CIC perhaps is run by either very dumb AIs or......, so even if there is any slight change in the variable in the equation, it just freezes up their whole process - and you'll see your application not moving at the same pace as of others.
Alternatively, they expect applicants to ... follow the instructions. And when people don't, it causes problems.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

I got my PPR and I am currently awaiting my CoPR. I did not include my wife as the CRS was decreasing and thought to apply for Spousal visa after mine. We are trying to move together while avoiding a gap of 1 year in her career:

1. Do I have to go to Canada, complete my initial formalities and get my PR card to apply Spousal Visa for my wife? or Can it be done before going there itself?
2. If I am applying for Open Work Permit for my wife, is CoPR enough or do I need the PR card to sponsor my wife for Open work permit?
3. If the above two options are not feasible, can I apply a visitor visa for and move there first, then apply for open work permit, then spousal visa?
You must be physically in Canada to submit the application to sponsor your wife and must continue living in Canada while the application is processed. You will only be able to apply for the OWP once you have submitted the sponsorship application and have AOR. Your spouse also needs to be in Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sorry CIC Case Officer - don't take it personal...i was talking about the AI program.
Ha, no, I'm not a case officer. And I'm not offended.

Just taking the contrary view: this part of what IRCC is doing is not 'intelligence', artificial or otherwise. It's flowcharts or algorithms, designed by humans, where putting the wrong input at the wrong time (or the right input at the wrong time) causes problems because it's not designed for it. They didn't design it for people not following the instructions.

You can get mad, or annoyed that it's not compensating well. Or you can rant that it should be better, or (like me) get mildly annoyed that it doesn't have better error-handlign capacity - it's just a fragile algorithm where it doesnt' need to be (and my friend would say it has not been properly tested, because he's into testing products and programs). All of those positions might be 'right' - but that doesn't help much.

Or you can ... follow the instructions. As you noted - and I'm just putting it differently - it is a literal waste of time and sometimes money to do upfront medical. Very often with IRCC the answer actually is - follow the instructions.

Reactions: Funbox and RMR

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Ha, no, I'm not a case officer. And I'm not offended.

Just taking the contrary view: this part of what IRCC is doing is not 'intelligence', artificial or otherwise. It's flowcharts or algorithms, designed by humans, where putting the wrong input at the wrong time (or the right input at the wrong time) causes problems because it's not designed for it. They didn't design it for people not following the instructions.

You can get mad, or annoyed that it's not compensating well. Or you can rant that it should be better, or (like me) get mildly annoyed that it doesn't have better error-handlign capacity - it's just a fragile algorithm where it doesnt' need to be (and my friend would say it has not been properly tested, because he's into testing products and programs). All of those positions might be 'right' - but that doesn't help much.

Or you can ... follow the instructions. As you noted - and I'm just putting it differently - it is a literal waste of time and sometimes money to do upfront medical. Very often with IRCC the answer actually is - follow the instructions.
And by following instructions....do people get results? Hmmm...in the past 5-6 months, i dont recall that happening from what we've read on this forum.

In cases where CIC asks you to PAY for the application and the biometric. And later even when applicants have paid, they get a letter to PAY FOR IT again! And to make it complicated, CIC writes, that it will not request again and failure to providing the payment could result in refusal. Some who are challenging the system, provide a scanned copy of the receipt. I read some applicants who go confused and paid again, only to here from some VIP members, saying yes CIC will refund you....eventually......not sure if they got their refunds yet. So following the instruction doesn't help.

Earlier this year, there was an announcement of Family Reunification program whereby Spousal PR applicants, would be able to enter Canada through TRV and then complete the processing of their PR application while staying with their family. I recall you have noted your reservations about it. But using your logic of following instructions and guidelines, even then CIC is not consistent about delivering TRVs to spousal applicants. Infact officers are clearly refusing majority of applications. I have personally taken up this issue through MP and we have made some starling discovery - CIC Case officers (in VOs like Abu Dhabi) ARE NOT AWARE OF MAY 26TH FAMILY REUNIFICATION - and hence refusing applications. There's a lot going on and I can't and soon people will learn about it. But it happened at the expense of someone's time and money. I wish more people had raised concern and spoken to their MPs.

There are lots of inconsistencies within CIC. Defending failures of CIC is not helpful - atleast for immigrants. We need to highlight repetitive inconsistencies and discuss it to solve the issue. Not put it under the carpet. As per the findings of auditor general, CIC is riddled with chaotic processing of applications and in some cases they have found processing wait times to be different based on racial and origin of applicants. (https://www.cicnews.com/2023/10/breaking-canadas-auditor-general-releases-a-report-on-irccs-permanent-residence-backlogs-1040410.html#gs.18spaw)

To sum up, we started this conversation about upfront medicals. First of all - its on the CIC website, an option given by CiC that you can ask for upfront medicals. So its not-an-out-of-this-world thing for CIC. In a normal world, its absolutely phenomenal if a person delivers everything at the very start. Officers do not have to waste time in requesting medicals and biometrics. Everything is there, just process it. Since there is incompetence and that's why inconsistencies in CIC, hence case officers delay things when they find it even slightly different from the norm.

Altamsh19

Dec 6, 2023
Hi everyone im new here. I applied for family class sponsorship (outside Canada) for my wife.
She just got asked to do medical exam and we are currently residing in Melbourne, Australia.

When booking a medical exam it shows the following options can you guide which one we have to choose ?

Canadian visa medical assessment(including Chest X-Ray),

Canadian visa medical assessment(excluding Chest X-Ray),

CA Streamlined IME (incl X-Ray)

vky0123

Star Member
Jun 1, 2023
Application submitted 28th April’23
PA:-india
my CoPR is updated since NOV 7th Also final decision shows date of Nov 7th
Does anyone know when they will issue PPR ?
I got PPR on October 17 as i am in Canada informed IRCC via webform but no COPR yet.

Funbox

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Calgary, Canada
Hi all,

In addition to the lease, I'm going to use cell phone bills as proof of address. My wife is not in Canada yet, but I managed to get a new phone line in her name. A few days before she arrives, we will have the first statement showing her name, the address, and the bill date.

Do you think there will be a problem if the date in the statement is before her arrival date? We could wait for the billing cycle to complete and get the next statement, but we would like to apply as soon as possible after she enters the country. Unfortunately, the billing cycle closes a week before she arrives which means we would have to wait for almost a month to get the next statement bill.

I was considering adding an LOE explaining that we subscribed to the phone plan before she arrived, but I'm not sure whether is this a good idea or not.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Noureddine2022

Star Member
Apr 14, 2022
guys my background check on gckey was not applicable since april 2023 then today turn We are processing your background check, then ghost update on Pr tracker , what does mean guys ?