+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I got pre-arrival 4 months ago. I still haven't received PPR. Background is 'in progress'. Could someone advise if it's normal? Why is the gap between pre-arrival and PPR so long?
There is no definite timeline/state when pre-arrival is being sent out.
Don't worry and just wait for the next step. background check usually is the longest part of the process.

Reactions: Home_13579

ravikumark815

Star Member
Jan 8, 2020
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Hi All,

I got my PPR and I am currently awaiting my CoPR. I did not include my wife as the CRS was decreasing and thought to apply for Spousal visa after mine. We are trying to move together while avoiding a gap of 1 year in her career:

1. Do I have to go to Canada, complete my initial formalities and get my PR card to apply Spousal Visa for my wife? or Can it be done before going there itself?
2. If I am applying for Open Work Permit for my wife, is CoPR enough or do I need the PR card to sponsor my wife for Open work permit?
3. If the above two options are not feasible, can I apply a visitor visa for and move there first, then apply for open work permit, then spousal visa?

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
Hi All,

I got my PPR and I am currently awaiting my CoPR. I did not include my wife as the CRS was decreasing and thought to apply for Spousal visa after mine. We are trying to move together while avoiding a gap of 1 year in her career:

1. Do I have to go to Canada, complete my initial formalities and get my PR card to apply Spousal Visa for my wife? or Can it be done before going there itself?
2. If I am applying for Open Work Permit for my wife, is CoPR enough or do I need the PR card to sponsor my wife for Open work permit?
3. If the above two options are not feasible, can I apply a visitor visa for and move there first, then apply for open work permit, then spousal visa?
Don't land if your wife was not included in your application. If you do, that is misrepresentation and you will never be able to sponsor her! Also, unless you just got married, if IRCC does not know you are married you will need a lawyer to sort that mess out as you have misrepresented yourself.

Reactions: Home_13579

Tarikla

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
Hi All,

1. Your CoPR is enough, as per the IMM 5533 checklist.
2. The OWP can only be delivered once you have the AOR for your wife's PR application. So you need to get your CoPR, then fill out the entire application including sponsorship, pay the fees, then wait for the AOR.
3. Your best course of action is indeed for her to apply for visitor first, then once she is with you, do a PR Inland application. Mind you that you'll need to provide several pieces of proof that the two of you live together for an Inland Application, so you'll most likely have to wait some time after she arrives for you to be able to produce those documents.

Refer to the IMM 5533 and check the various documents required for a PR application. Also, keep in mind that the OWP wait times are currently about 4 and a half months for Inland, and you need to add to that the wait time to get the AOR for the PR application. So, even if you made sure to have your wife's name on every document before she arrives, you are looking at roughly 6 months of her not being able to work in Canada.

Another way is for her to do a Outland application, and keep working outside of Canada if having a gap in her career is a real issue. You'll be looking at a year of wait, but this does eliminate the need for a lot of paperwork.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You must become a PR, which means landing in Canada (physically). You also need to sponsor your spouse from within Canada. You do not, however, need the PR card - the stamped COPR from landing will be enough.

Note - you also have to remain in Canada as sponsor, short trips abroad are ok.

She needs to get a TRV, arrive in Canada, and receive the AOR under the spousal sponsorship application to apply for OPW.

E]3. If the above two options are not feasible, can I apply a visitor visa for and move there first, then apply for open work permit, then spousal visa?
See above.

Reactions: YVR123

JASLEEN1869

Jul 31, 2023
Is it correct that if the application is sent to VO New Delhi then it means we will have an interview. Or is it just a normal things. And how long after beind transferre to New Delhi should we expect an update?
Thank you

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Is it correct that if the application is sent to VO New Delhi then it means we will have an interview. Or is it just a normal things. And how long after beind transferre to New Delhi should we expect an update?
Thank you
Transfer to VO doesn't mean that will be an interview.

Reactions: armoured

RMR

Star Member
Mar 24, 2023
Hi All,
Can we do an upfront medical for Spousal PR? as we have yet not received the Medical request and my spouse don't need to apply OWP (currently already on PGWP).