+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

psrt

Jun 14, 2023
Hi Guys

Today I got my stamped passport and COPR from IRCC and now I am planning to fly to Canada from Mumbai. So far I have never been to Canada therefore I do not have a PR card. I still have almost 7 months time to fly. In the meantime can I sponsor my wife while I am in India by providing Proof of funds? Do I need a PR card for that? would there be any problem with her application if I am here and sponsoring her? Asking because I still have 7 months so is there a chance that we can fly together?

Sonikell

Apr 24, 2023
Hi Guys

Today I got my stamped passport and COPR from IRCC and now I am planning to fly to Canada from Mumbai. So far I have never been to Canada therefore I do not have a PR card. I still have almost 7 months time to fly. In the meantime can I sponsor my wife while I am in India by providing Proof of funds? Do I need a PR card for that? would there be any problem with her application if I am here and sponsoring her? Asking because I still have 7 months so is there a chance that we can fly together?
pr holders( and you are not a or holder yet.. not until you land anyways), cannot sponsor from overseas. Only citizens can. Even after you get a pr you will have to be living in Canada to sponsor her.

Funbox

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Calgary, Canada
Hi,

I have entered Canada as visitor and been given a 4 months deadline to leave the country via visitor record (due to dual intent) at the air border. I have now applied for OWP due to the long processing times for Quebec applications. It is likely that I will receive OWP while I am on maintained status. My questions:
  • When I entered Canada as visitor, I have informed IRCC via webform and called call-centre. They have updated my address, but I haven't sent a scan of the visitor record, nor I have informed IRCC when my visitor status would expire. I just told them that I was living in Canada as temporary resident with visitor status from 'date'. Would that be an issue? I assume is not an issue as IRCC can see all the history of my entries to Canada?
  • Also, I have changed passport from submission and when I sent a scan of my new passport, I only sent the main page with photo, but did not send the page with the stamp from CBSA. Would that be an issue? I assume is not an issue as IRCC can see all the history of my entries to Canada?
Hi. Sorry, I don't have answers to your questions, but was curious about your experience at the airport. Did you say to the office that you were planning on applying for the sponsorship right after entering the country as a visitor? And what did the officer say? I wonder why they allowed you as a visitor for 4 months instead of 6 months. Thank you.

abkg1998

Star Member
Sep 25, 2023
Applied: July 15, 2023
AOR: September 18th,
Biometric Letter: September 25th,
BG updated to N/A: September 25th,
Additional Documents Letter: September 25th,
Additional Documencts Letter Updated and Status Changed to:
  • The additional documents you provided have been uploaded.
Medical Letter: September 26th,
Background and Eligibilty started to proccess: September 26th,
Sponsorship Eligibilty Passed Letter: September 27th
Sponsorship Eligibilty Passed Letter Received: October 4th
Background Check Updated to Not Applicable: October 4th
Medical Exam Done: October 9th
Ghost Update on Tracker: October 12th

That update could be a sign that they are processing the medical exam by any chance? Any opinions?

Reactions: Home_13579

Abvan

Aug 10, 2023
Hi can anybody pla help. I recently booked my spouses ticket for canada. She got her TRV stamped. But concern is what if she received her copr just before her date of flight. Can she enter canada on trv and the we can apply her PR card in canada via sending webform? I will really appreciate if someone could help.
Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi can anybody pla help. I recently booked my spouses ticket for canada. She got her TRV stamped. But concern is what if she received her copr just before her date of flight. Can she enter canada on trv and the we can apply her PR card in canada via sending webform? I will really appreciate if someone could help.
Thanks
What do you mean she received her COPR?

Abvan

Aug 10, 2023
What do you mean she received her COPR?
I mean if her PR gets Approved sometime before her date of flight. Will her TRV gets nullified? Or can she still travel on her TRV. Because we won’t get time to get her passport stamped for her PR visa.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks
She needs a TRV to enter Canada. So she cannot "receive COPR" without getting passport request, sending her passport to VO and receiving it back with the COPR. If she gets the request before her flight, she should NOT send her passport if she wants to travel on that flight.

After she arrived as visitor on TRV, you/she can send a webform to update her address (Canadian address) or if she already got PPR, follow the instruction to inform IRCC that she's inside canada. As other have replied, she will get the instruction for virtual landing (portal) and after all the virtual landing processes finished, she will become PR and will need to wait for her first PR card for travel.

You'll receive an invitation to do the virtual landing.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I mean if her PR gets Approved sometime before her date of flight. Will her TRV gets nullified? Or can she still travel on her TRV. Because we won’t get time to get her passport stamped for her PR visa.
Until she landed with her passport with COPR, she is NOT yet a PR and so she still has her TRV and can still travel.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So you mean she did NOT receive her COPR.

She can travel and advise via webform of change of address. When the passport request is received, it can be done by virtual landing in Canada.

Entirely separate question for someone who HAS received the passport request and is about to leave on a flight. Then there is a question of how much time and which is preferable (it's not always evident).

Or in other words, ask your question when you get the PPR (if not yet departed).

abkg1998

Star Member
Sep 25, 2023
Review of eligibility
We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.

Review of medical results
October 13, 2023
You passed the medical exam.

Review of additional documents
The additional documents you provided have been uploaded.

Interview
You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.

Biometrics
September 28, 2023
Completed.

Background check
Not applicable.

Final decision
Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

BG check has been changed to N/A second time before the medical. I suppose it's gonna be changing to reviewing again.
After that it's gonna be N/A and BG will be completed, as far as I understand.

Can someone help me with what is next and what is left for them to be done? What stage we are in now? How longer would we have to wait approx. depending on your experiences guys?
What do you guys think about our timeline?

-----------------------------------------
Applied: July 15, 2023
AOR: September 18th,
Biometric Letter: September 25th,
BG updated to N/A: September 25th,
Additional Documents Letter: September 25th,
Additional Documencts Letter Updated and Status Changed to:
  • The additional documents you provided have been uploaded.
Medical Letter: September 26th,
Background and Eligibilty started to proccess: September 26th,
Sponsorship Eligibilty Passed Letter: September 27th
Background Check Updated to Not Applicable: October 4th
Medical Exam Done: October 9th
Medical Exam Passed: October 13th

Thanks

iliveinbanff

Star Member
May 3, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
25-04-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
Med's Request
19-12-2019
Good evening,

i would like to know if anyone In this forum has a similar situation or have been in the situation. My mom wants to sponsor her husband that is currently in the USA but is undocumented for a long time now (overstaying). My question is can his husband apply for spousal sponsorship while he is in the USA or does he needs to go back to his home country so that he can have a legal status and apply for the spousal sponsorship? Thank you and looking forward for anyones response.

joe444alen

Oct 14, 2023
Hi, I have applied for visiting visa for my wife by the new family reunification policy after receiving my Aor and eligibility check. And it got rejected. Reason was weak family ties and financial situation.
If I re apply for the tourist visa what documents do I need to give or how my SOE should be. Can anyone help me with that. Please and thank you

Last edited: