+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

ABWAQAR

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Hello, I'm an outland applicant and my husband is the sponsor. I am stuck on a residential address issue. I live in the Province of Punjab and the city is Lahore, and Punjab is not a district, but in the profile section, I leave the 'District' field blank. The form is named 'IMM 5669' Section H, and the label is 'Province, State, District'. I'm confused here, should I write Punjab in the district's field or leave it blank in the profile? Does IRCC consider 'District' as Province and State same?
(Note: my CNIC doesn't have Punjab province written)
Otherwise, in other web forms and PDF forms, the label is 'District'.
As long as I know, your district will be Lahore as well. Province Punjab, District Lahore, and City will be Lahore

Marie Fogarty

Apr 23, 2023
Hello! I am a Canadian citizen and my Ugandan partner is in Canada right now with a visitor visa. We are planning to get married and then apply for spouse sponsorship. My question is : is it alright to get married and apply right after? We've been in a relationship for a year and have tons of documents proving our relationship is genuine. ( Travels to uganda, plane tickets, pictures, etc...).

Also, can he apply for an open work permit while the spouse sponsorship is in process ?

Thank you!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello! I am a Canadian citizen and my Ugandan partner is in Canada right now with a visitor visa. We are planning to get married and then apply for spouse sponsorship. My question is : is it alright to get married and apply right after? We've been in a relationship for a year and have tons of documents proving our relationship is genuine. ( Travels to uganda, plane tickets, pictures, etc...).

Also, can he apply for an open work permit while the spouse sponsorship is in process ?

Thank you!
Yes, although you'll need to wait for the marriage certificate to apply.

Yes, he can apply for the work permit during the process.

mjaffer53

Star Member
Feb 18, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2014
AOR Received.
Feb 2014
Med's Request
Jan 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 2015
Passport Req..
March 2015
VISA ISSUED...
April 2015
LANDED..........
April 2015
Hello - This is my situation - I am a Canadian Citizen living in Canada. My Fiancée is a Kenyan citizen living in Hungary with a Hungarian work permit tied to her job. She holds a valid Canadian visitor visa. We intend on getting married in her home country of Kenya in January.

Can anyone advise if the below steps seem accurate in our situation?
1) Both of us fly to Kenya for the wedding in December (Wedding is in January).
2) After the wedding, i fly to Canada first alone. I take all her important documents with me (police certificate, birth certificates, marriage certificate, wedding photos, wedding card copy etc etc)
3) She flies from Kenya to Canada as a visitor with a return ticket. She says she is coming for 2 weeks as a tourist.
4) After she lands - I immediately apply for in-land spousal sponsorship and open work permit. She immediately puts in her resignation for her job in Hungary (For some technical reason, she can not work remotely from Canada, she is allowed to work remotely out of Kenya for her Hungarian job which is what she will be doing when we get married there).
5) I cancel her return flight.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

Reactions: Funbox

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Does anyone see a problem with this?
There was a case here just a few days ago of someone who'd had great difficulty getting the necessary docs for a Canadian to marry in Kenya - had taken months and it wasn't successful. I can't comment on that but have periodically heard that it is one of the more difficult places - they don't like the (minimal) documentation for 'proof of not being married' that Canada can provide.

So: my suggestion would be to either have back-up plan of wedding in Canada afterwards, or somewhere else before (why not Hungary, I believe straightforward documentation-wise). If you do it before, you can either have a post-wedding party or a religious ceremony with no civil aspect (if allowed) or a 'blessing' ceremony (in some religions anyway this is not controversial).

Otherwise no particular issues with your plans. Warning that the work permit can take some time and may even come same time or after the PR status.

Marie Fogarty

Apr 23, 2023
Yes, although you'll need to wait for the marriage certificate to apply.

Yes, he can apply for the work permit during the process.
Oh yes thank you!
I just checked in Quebec it can take up tp 8 weeks to receive it…i didnt know that!

do you think it’s possible to apply to extend a visitor visa in that situation?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Marie Fogarty

Apr 23, 2023

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
thank you, i will look into it! Do we need to provide a clear explanation to why we apply for visitor record? Is getting married a valid reason for it?
Do you plan to get married before applying for the extension?

I ask because I know planning to file a sponsorship app (including waiting for marriage certificate) IS a valid reason for which they routinely grant extensions/visitor records. Planning to get married to do so probably is but I have not specifically heard others mention that.