+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Dc4408

Jun 29, 2023
Hi all,

My outland spousal sponsorship application is stuck since April 2023, last we received is pre-arrival information and no PPR yet. It is been almost 8 months now since the application submitted date.

According to current processing times it might take over a year for an answer, so can I apply for visiting visa for my spouse now and convert her application to in-land once she lands in Canada?

Please advise
You can apply for TRV. I can help, if needed. Thanks and best wishes

@ali@hus

Aug 13, 2022
I don't know if that's a question or a statement. If a statement - first I've heard of it. Sounds wrong, but at any rate, depends on the province.
if she gets*
and it's a statement
and its true (in Alberta at least). my wife is coming on a visitor visa , I checked with the Registry they said she is elgible.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
if she gets*
and it's a statement
and its true (in Alberta at least). my wife is coming on a visitor visa , I checked with the Registry they said she is elgible.
Okay, I don't know about Alberta - but I'd urge anyone relying upon this to check carefully because as far as I'm aware in most provinces a spouse on a visitor record is not eligible for health care (or at least not on that basis). Wouldn't want to rely upon that and find out later you're not eligible.

@ali@hus

Aug 13, 2022
Okay, I don't know about Alberta - but I'd urge anyone relying upon this to check carefully because as far as I'm aware in most provinces a spouse on a visitor record is not eligible for health care (or at least not on that basis). Wouldn't want to rely upon that and find out later you're not eligible.
Yes thats the process i went through. A friend of my mine told me his wife was on a vistor record long time and she had medical insurance. I didnt take it for granted so I went to the registry and inquired (because thats the place that issues your health card) Got a feedback and I am confident now to share it with ppl here.

mvk88

Star Member
Mar 1, 2023
Yes thats the process i went through. A friend of my mine told me his wife was on a vistor record long time and she had medical insurance. I didnt take it for granted so I went to the registry and inquired (because thats the place that issues your health card) Got a feedback and I am confident now to share it with ppl here.
This is what I found un Alberta government website.

But in ontario visitor permit holder not eligible for health care.

Residents from another country
If you are from outside Canada, to be eligible for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage, you must:

establish residency in Alberta
intend to live in Alberta for 12 consecutive months
have the appropriate Canada entry documents issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
Acceptable Canada entry documents include:

active work permit (minimum 6 months)
study permit or visitor record for Alberta
designation as a Convention Refugee with accompanying documentation
Not all IRCC or CBSA permits qualify the permit holder for health care insurance coverage in Alberta.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My point was that you shared this initially without specifying the province, or warning that the details might vary considerably. It's great to share but the relevant details here MUST include that it doesn't or may not apply to other provinces.

But in ontario visitor permit holder not eligible for health care.
I was surprised by Alberta, and while not an expert, I believe this is not common.

Reactions: andymack

mvk88

Star Member
Mar 1, 2023
My point was that you shared this initially without specifying the province, or warning that the details might vary considerably. It's great to share but the relevant details here MUST include that it doesn't or may not apply to other provinces.

I was surprised by Alberta, and while not an expert, I believe this is not common.
Same here I didn't know I had to Google it. My husband had to work 6 months to get his Healthcard in ontario.

@ali@hus

Aug 13, 2022

you are absolutely right. I guess next time will make sure I will be a bit more specific. Buts the good thing in this forum ppl ask more details and it clarifies many things.

ManZ_999

Mar 1, 2023
What is the wait time nowadays after Medicals are completed? My wife's PR application status has not moved for more a month since Medicals were marked Completed.

dlramos08

Star Member
Apr 26, 2023
Manila, Philippines
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
Hello everyone,

Has anyone gotten Procedural Fairness Letter regarding spousal sponsorship?

If Yes then whats the success rate? what they ask mostly?

plz reply
Hi there, any update on your application? We also received a PFL last May 5th for eligibility. We applied for conjugal partner sponsorship last May 2022. I have already received PPR on 27th of June..

myindia

Oct 16, 2018
Is the visa stamp on the passport is the only document that we need on first time landing? My spouse didn't get any COPR. Is the stamp same as COPR? He is traveling from India

myindia

Oct 16, 2018
He should have received COPR as a separate printed document.
Please provide your thoughts. He has started his journey. He didn't get COPR on mail. He has only visa stamped on passport. Is he gonna get stopped from entering? Is there anything we can do at this point?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Please provide your thoughts. He has started his journey. He didn't get COPR on mail. He has only visa stamped on passport. Is he gonna get stopped from entering? Is there anything we can do at this point?
You mean he is literally in the air?

Don't know. Best he can hope for is that when he arrives in Canada, explain he didn't get the COPR (for some reason). (Or read any of the included documentation or check). Did he bring everything with him that he received when he got the passport back from the visa office?

In some cases, CBSA may be able to access the COPR and print it out on in the airport. Note though that he should also have photographs to the PR card specifications

Good luck.