+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

alikatal

Aug 4, 2021
You could do that if you were living outside of Canada. Since your current address is in Quebec, they will process your file under Quebec rules. When you move, you will have to make a change of address. Otherwise, you have to move to Ontario first and apply afterwards.

If you already have an official address there (Toronto) and plan to move soon (in weeks), you can just use this address on the forms. By the time for them to open your file, you will be definitely living there in Toronto.

Like I said earlier, If your permanent address is in Quebec, they will process your application under Quebec Rules.
Thanks for your response. So if I use my friend's address in Toronto as my official address it would be okay? I mean do they need any proof of address?
Because I did not rent a place there yet, so I can use my fiend's address until I rent a place myself and I make a change of address after that.

richieP

Mar 8, 2022
Hello, I am soon getting married and I will be sponsoring my spouse from india. I have one question In the application we need to submit couple of documents, one is Birth Certificate and other is Passport. In my spouse's case her birth-certificate has name containing 'Bahen' as post fix. But her Adhar card and Passport doesn't have that postfix. What should we do? If I know correctly we can not change the name in Birth certificate right? Her college degrees and all other documents have 'Bahen' as postfix. Our marriage Invitation card also don't have any kind of postfix after her name. on top of that, she don't want that to be printed on her passport or PR card. Will we get in any kind of trouble? what steps we need to take in this scenario? Your help in this case will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, I am soon getting married and I will be sponsoring my spouse from india. I have one question In the application we need to submit couple of documents, one is Birth Certificate and other is Passport. In my spouse's case her birth-certificate has name containing 'Bahen' as post fix. But her Adhar card and Passport doesn't have that postfix. What should we do? If I know correctly we can not change the name in Birth certificate right? Her college degrees and all other documents have 'Bahen' as postfix. Our marriage Invitation card also don't have any kind of postfix after her name. on top of that, she don't want that to be printed on her passport or PR card. Will we get in any kind of trouble? what steps we need to take in this scenario? Your help in this case will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I'm not familiar specifically with the 'postfix' you're referring to - it's a suffix attached to a name, basically as a slightly formal form of address/name formation? Different for men and women? (I am vaguely aware that there is a similar practice with suffixes for male/female names in some parts of India, spelling not same in english/different regions but similar like -bhen.)

If so: go with the name without the suffix. Attach a letter of explanation that this is why her name includes -bahen as a suffix on some documents, and it's just a common local tradition.

Specify that she prefer the name without -bahen; meaning in part put Name no suffix for anywhere where they ask for her given name. On the information part of the forms which asks for "other names she is known by or has used", include there the Namebahen version.

Hope this helps. More detail would be needed from those familiar with the practice and Indian documentation.

Reactions: richieP

Parmeet kaur67

Star Member
May 16, 2018
Hello, I live in BC, and will be sponsoring my husband in 2-3 weeks. I might move to another house in 2-3 months, but as my all documents have my current address, do I need to update Ircc with new address as well or is it okay if I keep the old address? I will be moving not more than 10km away from current address in 2-3 months. Thank you.

richieP

Mar 8, 2022
I'm not familiar specifically with the 'postfix' you're referring to - it's a suffix attached to a name, basically as a slightly formal form of address/name formation? Different for men and women? (I am vaguely aware that there is a similar practice with suffixes for male/female names in some parts of India, spelling not same in english/different regions but similar like -bhen.)

If so: go with the name without the suffix. Attach a letter of explanation that this is why her name includes -bahen as a suffix on some documents, and it's just a common local tradition.

Specify that she prefer the name without -bahen; meaning in part put Name no suffix for anywhere where they ask for her given name. On the information part of the forms which asks for "other names she is known by or has used", include there the Namebahen version.

Hope this helps. More detail would be needed from those familiar with the practice and Indian documentation.
Thanks , this is helpful

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, I live in BC, and will be sponsoring my husband in 2-3 weeks. I might move to another house in 2-3 months, but as my all documents have my current address, do I need to update Ircc with new address as well or is it okay if I keep the old address? I will be moving not more than 10km away from current address in 2-3 months. Thank you.
Just update the address with IRCC after you move.

Reactions: YVR123

annasteve

May 3, 2022
Hello everyone, my common-law partner (Canadian citizen) is going to sponsor me and we are finalizing the paperwork. I am on my post grad work permit that expires June 2023. Should I still include an application for open work permit with our application and would that put me under implied status or overall would it affect my status in Canada? I just want to make sure I'm able to work normally while waiting for the decision. Thank you.

Avocado34

May 3, 2022
I have a question and I hope you can help me.
My husband and I applied online on April 18, 2022 for Outland Spousal Sponsorship, but my police certificates were issued on January 19 and were only valid for 90 days, that is, they expired on the 19th. Will I have a problem with the issue of these certificates? Or will they be accepted despite having only applied hours before expiration?
Any experience or advice on resubmission of such documents from an IRCC request would be appreciated.

waitingformyspouse

Star Member
Mar 30, 2022
I think maybe you can do a ‘Various names’ affidavit? Meaning get an affidavit from the court, draft a template on it stating that both the names applies to the same person and then get it notarized.

Canada429

Star Member
Jun 1, 2021
A quick question.

If PA travels out of her home country to another country for vacation while the application is in process, can this travel delay his/her application process? I beleive we will have to resubmit Supplementry IMM5562 travel history form and this would add an extra country. Can this extend background check process? If we don't update or resubmit tbis form then the passports would have ebtry/exit stamp of this new country, and it won't match upbwith the form IMM5562 submitted originally with the application.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello everyone, my common-law partner (Canadian citizen) is going to sponsor me and we are finalizing the paperwork. I am on my post grad work permit that expires June 2023. Should I still include an application for open work permit with our application and would that put me under implied status or overall would it affect my status in Canada? I just want to make sure I'm able to work normally while waiting for the decision. Thank you.
Application for the open work permit would put you under implied status.

It won't affect your status in Canada until they approve your OWP (then you would be on OWP instead of PGWP). If you get your PR application completed before you get your OWP approved, then you can cancel that work permit application.

Since your PGWP won't be expiring until next year, I think you could wait till later to apply for your OWP. (Please check current requirement for OWP application for inland sponsorship. I think there's new steps for online vs paper application.)

Reactions: annasteve

Tanker

Star Member
Jun 24, 2019
Sponsorship
  1. We received your application to sponsor ------------ on January 31, 2022.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 12, 2022.
  3. We started processing your application on April 11, 2022.
  4. We sent you correspondence on May 2, 2022. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
Does anybody know what the #4 mean? Is this usual?

annasteve

May 3, 2022
Application for the open work permit would put you under implied status.

It won't affect your status in Canada until they approve your OWP (then you would be on OWP instead of PGWP). If you get your PR application completed before you get your OWP approved, then you can cancel that work permit application.

Since your PGWP won't be expiring until next year, I think you could wait till later to apply for your OWP. (Please check current requirement for OWP application for inland sponsorship. I think there's new steps for online vs paper application.)
Thank you so much! I have another small question, I looked it up and it looks like I don’t have to give biometrics because I already gave one when I entered Canada as a student and I know it’s valid for 10 years. So I don’t have to pay for biometrics fee ($85) when we pay for our application right. Also it doesn’t matter if it’s either me (principal applicant) or my partner (sponsor) pay the fees right.

Star Member
Jan 11, 2021
Sponsorship
  1. We received your application to sponsor ------------ on January 31, 2022.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 12, 2022.
  3. We started processing your application on April 11, 2022.
  4. We sent you correspondence on May 2, 2022. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
Does anybody know what the #4 mean? Is this usual?
Additional documents are requested , U have to check ur email or ecas

Reactions: Tanker