+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
I just get reply from my wife's MP could anyone help me understand"what are the things included in security check"... down below is the reply from MP
"
IRCC can confirm that the sponsor’s eligibility has been approved. The criminality, medicals, and eligibility has been passed however, the security has not yet begun.

IRCC cannot provide a timeline to completion"
Security check includes the PA’s criminality check and etc. So if the PA doesn’t have any criminal history or similar problems they should be approved. It’s the last step.

Reactions: Shukaib Ahmed

vnexpress

Jul 2, 2015
Hi forum fellows,

I am a Canadian citizen. I have been in same sex common-law relationship with my Vietnamese partner since Nov 2021 and we will meet the one-year test for sponsorship in Nov 2022.

My partner however is planning to go to Japan to study Masters in February 2023 and I do not plan to join him but instead will go back to Canada to find job and settle first. My questions are:

1. Can I sponsor him as common-law partner while he will be studying in Japan, in Feb 2023, although I wont be living with him? At the time of sponsorship, we would have met the one year co-habitation requirement since Nov 2022 already.

2. Those who are in similar situation as us, what kind of evidence you usually submit to IRCC?

Thanks so much!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1. Can I sponsor him as common-law partner while he will be studying in Japan, in Feb 2023, although I wont be living with him? At the time of sponsorship, we would have met the one year co-habitation requirement since Nov 2022 already.
Yes, the fact that you were common law prior to applying means still eligibile (as long as relationship maintained). Also note, you can apply from abroad to sponsor because you are a citizen (i.e. before you return to Canada). You'll have to show evidence of intent to return to Canada (and then update when you do return is best way to go ahead).

2. Those who are in similar situation as us, what kind of evidence you usually submit to IRCC?
I did not apply as common law but only because we were able to get married, so familiar. (Not same sex either but that doesn't change anything).

The key things to keep in mind: you MUST show strong evidence of the beginning of your time living together and the twelve months continuous. A day less than one year means not common law (so it's not ideal to apply the day after you become common law, more time does help).

This can be hard in some countries - eg if no lease or other third-party evidence of residing together. Make sure you document your cohabitation extremely well. Just go through the list of things you can show and do what you can. (You can explain if you do not have some of them - but it's up to you to demonstrate you meet the common law test.

For that reason, it really, really is worth considering whether you can get married somewhere - not easy in your situation and up to you, but it does make the minimum test easier. Legally married plus mediocre evidence of cohabitation is a pretty strong case (all things being equal); not legally married plus mediocre evidence is a much weaker case and could be refused on basis of not meeting common law requirements.

Jacornejo20

Star Member
Dec 8, 2021
Hello. Una pregunta, ¿puedo solicitar una visa de visitante para visitar a mi esposo canadiense mientras estamos procesando la visa permanente?

dharaj

Mar 22, 2022
I have submitted my application on Dec 27 in online.i am the sponsor .I got an access in pr tracker on March 19. It's shows received application on March 16. No application no, no pA name.Is there anyone facing this situation.

sponsort

Jun 14, 2018
I have submitted my application on Dec 27 in online.i am the sponsor .I got an access in pr tracker on March 19. It's shows received application on March 16. No application no, no pA name.Is there anyone facing this situation.
How did you get the access to the tracker?

ricky.lambton

Star Member
Jun 3, 2020
Toronto
Category........
Other
were you not able to link before march 19? may be you will get AOR soon.

soodyassh

Star Member
Jan 27, 2014
hello friends,
I have applied my spouse sponsorship in dec 2020. As recently I have log in into New PR Application tracker and its getting updated 4 times in the last 20 days but i did not see anything. Does anyone have an idea what is this happening as I wont see any change neither on GC account not on ecas . kindly share ur experiences.

soodyassh

Star Member
Jan 27, 2014
I just get reply from my wife's MP could anyone help me understand"what are the things included in security check"... down below is the reply from MP
"
IRCC can confirm that the sponsor’s eligibility has been approved. The criminality, medicals, and eligibility has been passed however, the security has not yet begun.

IRCC cannot provide a timeline to completion"
i do have the same situation.. contact MP , as he informed that criminality, sponsor approval is done , Security not started yet.