Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
tylers21 said:
Please Help!!

I am an American citizen (21) of the united states and ave been staying off and on in canada over a year now. I have no legal status to be here just tell the boarder guards im coming up for a show and stay for a few months before heading back to the states. I have been living with my girlfriend for a year now in Vancouver and we are ready to get married and i would love to actually live here here legally and be able to work. She is 24 and makes pretty good money ( around 15/hr full time as a supervisor). We have a lot of solid evidence that were a couple including pictures wit each others family's during the holidays and what not. just don't really know where to start with the whole thing, and if the fact that i have been living here for a while will make it harder or even easier for me to get approved.
THANKS!!
Have you read through the very first post in this thread? If not then, start there:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

msbigshot

Jul 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2014
Doc's Request.
11-03-2015
AOR Received.
29-10-2014
File Transfer...
24-11-2014
Med's Done....
25-04-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
02-07-2015
LANDED..........
29-07-29
computergeek said:
There is a "supplemental information" form where you list non-immigrating family (e.g., spouse/partner, Canadian children, siblings and parents) but you do not list them in the main form (IMM 0008).

The instructions say to send the PCC with your application. If you do not, you'll add a couple months to the processing time.

The fastest processing time is for applications that are 100% complete when submitted. The visa officer picks it up, everything is present, your security check and RCMP check come back clean and all your fees are paid. You get PPR - or perhaps you are one of the lucky few that skips PPR and just finds the COPR in the mailbox.

I've seen this in both inland AND outland applications. Inland folks that submit complete applications often get DM at the same time as AIP (so they have 11 months to DM) and outland folks do as well. It's not guaranteed, but if you don't submit a 100% complete application you have no chance of getting decision made as quickly.
Thanks, do I also need to include police clearances for them as well. How I was interpreting it I needed one for all my immediate family. May be a stupid question but it's safer to ask then not know. Thanks!

mahbabe1228

Jan 29, 2013
toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
august 21,2013
File Transfer...
sep 12,2013
Med's Done....
May 27,2013
Passport Req..
may7,2014
VISA ISSUED...
in process May 20,2014... DM: SEPT 23,2014
computergeek said:
There is a "supplemental information" form where you list non-immigrating family (e.g., spouse/partner, Canadian children, siblings and parents) but you do not list them in the main form (IMM 0008).

The instructions say to send the PCC with your application. If you do not, you'll add a couple months to the processing time.

The fastest processing time is for applications that are 100% complete when submitted. The visa officer picks it up, everything is present, your security check and RCMP check come back clean and all your fees are paid. You get PPR - or perhaps you are one of the lucky few that skips PPR and just finds the COPR in the mailbox.

I've seen this in both inland AND outland applications. Inland folks that submit complete applications often get DM at the same time as AIP (so they have 11 months to DM) and outland folks do as well. It's not guaranteed, but if you don't submit a 100% complete application you have no chance of getting decision made as quickly.
We are hoping you are right coz we submit most likely everything from police clearance of every country my husband stayed for more than 6 months plus the processing fee and the landing fee of $490. :) good luck to all of us who are waiting

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tylers21 said:
Please Help!!

I am an American citizen (21) of the united states and ave been staying off and on in canada over a year now. I have no legal status to be here just tell the boarder guards im coming up for a show and stay for a few months before heading back to the states. I have been living with my girlfriend for a year now in Vancouver and we are ready to get married and i would love to actually live here here legally and be able to work. She is 24 and makes pretty good money ( around 15/hr full time as a supervisor). We have a lot of solid evidence that were a couple including pictures wit each others family's during the holidays and what not. just don't really know where to start with the whole thing, and if the fact that i have been living here for a while will make it harder or even easier for me to get approved.
THANKS!!
As scylla suggested, read the first post in this thread.

To summarize: If you have been living together for one year continuously, you could apply TODAY as a common-law couple with an Inland application (if you want to stay in Canada while the application is processed), or Outland if you want/need to return to the US anytime soon. If you've been living together less than 2 years, your PR would be conditional, which you can research on your own, here. Waiting until you're married would reduce the burden of proof, somewhat, but you'd still need to prove that your marriage is genuine.

If you apply Inland you can include an OWP (Open Work Permit) that will allow you to work anywhere in Canada, BUT...it will take ~11 months after they receive the application(s) before you would receive it. The Inland application process is longer, but it allows you to remain in Canada (under most conditions) with your gf/sponsor.

You say that you have a lot of solid evidence...pictures wit each others family's and what not. What exactly is the what not? You would need things like: joint lease or rental agreement from her landlord, joint bank account, joint cell phone plan, joint life insurance, etc.. Pictures alone won't be enough to prove anything. Text messages, emails, Facebook, Skype logs are also suggested.
Good luck!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
msbigshot said:
Thanks, do I also need to include police clearances for them as well. How I was interpreting it I needed one for all my immediate family. May be a stupid question but it's safer to ask then not know. Thanks!
Only immediate family (so applicant, children and in some circumstances grandchildren) need PCCs and medicals. Or think of this as "family members that COULD immigrate under your application". That way, if you have a child who isn't coming but COULD come, they are examined now and that preserves the right to sponsor them in the future.

dreamtocanada_uk

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/02/2014
Doc's Request.
16/08/2014
AOR Received.
07/03/2014
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Don't know
Med's Request
15/02/2015
Med's Done....
16/02/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Not sure
Hi dear all,would you please favor me i want to sponsor my wife i filled up all forms but i am little bit confused that do i need to write the cover letter with application?if yes please anybody send me sample of cover letter.Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
dreamtocanada_uk said:
Hi dear all,would you please favor me i want to sponsor my wife i filled up all forms but i am little bit confused that do i need to write the cover letter with application?if yes please anybody send me sample of cover letter.Thanks
No cover letter is needed.

dreamtocanada_uk

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/02/2014
Doc's Request.
16/08/2014
AOR Received.
07/03/2014
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Don't know
Med's Request
15/02/2015
Med's Done....
16/02/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Not sure
scylla said:
No cover letter is needed.
Thank you very much scylla.

hi am there

Star Member
Aug 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
saeedar said:
Hi,
My spouse sponsorship was approved recently and she got a letter saying that my application has been sent to London office.

Should I receive a letter or they would update application status online when London office receives my application?

Thanks!
london office will send an e mail once they start processing.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
hi am there said:
london office will send an e mail once they start processing.
We never got one until they sent a request for more information.

msbozick

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 12, 2014
AOR Received.
August 7, 2014
Med's Request
Sept. 28, 2015
Med's Done....
October 7/8, 2015
Interview........
AIP: Sept. 28, 2015-- interview waived DM: Oct. 16, 2015
LANDED..........
Oct. 28 2015
hey all, just looking for some thoughts on my situation. I'm currently in Canada on a student visa from the US- valid until 2016. My bf and I are applying for common law (we've been living together for 3 years and have a solid application). My question is whether or not I can include an OWP app with my PR app. I know I can't study and OWP at the same time, so I'm just wondering my OWP would cancel out my student visa. I'm perfectly fine if it does, I'm 26 and this is my second degree and I am quite ready to start a career as it has been on hold since I've been living in Canada and unable to work.

I took the quiz on the CiC website and it says I'm eligible to apply for OWP. I think I'm going to call the CIC tomorrow and ask, but I just wanted your thoughts/experiences!

I'm also wondering if I'd be on implied status if I decide not to go back to school next semester. it's been brought to my attention that I may be able to take a semester off of school and retain my student status. Or I could just give up the student visa all together. I really don't know. It's so stressful!

thank you!

sam_8892

Jan 16, 2014
hi
I have read some info about one person getting open work permit if his or her spouse got enrolled as a student in full time program in any of the university in Canada.

My spouse has completed her B.Tech in Agri. Engg from India and I am working as software engg from last 3 years in India. Currently we both are in India.
I would like to know whether she can be enrolled into any single program which offers MS+PhD..?
And if she gets one such program, m I eligible to apply for open work permit right away or do I need to wait till she finishes her MS and starts her PhD.?
I have checked my eligibility online and it came out as positive. If she gets admission, can we fly together to Canada or do I need to wait for any official confirmation..?

if possible,We would like to stay permanently or for longer duration in Canada.
And could you please suggest any mid level university for her Masters and PhD..?
how are our chances?

please suggest. :)
(I hope I am posting my query in relevant topic)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If you are filing an inland application as a spouse/CL, you can apply for an OWP, to be granted at AIP.
However, I don't think this will give you implied status as anything other than a visitor if you are on a study visa. The reasoning behind this is that it's a completely different sort of permit, which breaks the "implied status" continuity that you would have if you were on a work permit.

Can others confirm this?

msbozick

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 12, 2014
AOR Received.
August 7, 2014
Med's Request
Sept. 28, 2015
Med's Done....
October 7/8, 2015
Interview........
AIP: Sept. 28, 2015-- interview waived DM: Oct. 16, 2015
LANDED..........
Oct. 28 2015
when I applied for my student visa, I just applied to change my status from a visitor and for the owp, I'd be filing out the same form. It's all temporary residency. I should also add that I'm not looking for anything other than being "legal". Being implied as a visitor is a-okay with me.
zardoz said:
If you are filing an inland application as a spouse/CL, you can apply for an OWP, to be granted at AIP.
However, I don't think this will give you implied status as anything other than a visitor if you are on a study visa. The reasoning behind this is that it's a completely different sort of permit, which breaks the "implied status" continuity that you would have if you were on a work permit.

Can others confirm this?

hi am there

Star Member
Aug 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi,

my wife had filed an application to sponsor me, ( she is a Quebec resident)
we already sent the undertaking forms to micc and my file has been transferred to the delhi visa office.my question is

1. i have a foreign job offer and going abroad soon, do u think this will make a problem in the process of my application in delhi office?

2. do u think they will transfer my file to the foreign visa office? ( i am not planning to work there more than 6months even though i hav a 2year general work permit). can i write my situation to the visa office and request them to process in delhi?

3. i am ready to travel to india if they call for an interview, is this possible?

4. what do i do if they ask me to submit my passport to the visa office? can i ask for an extension or ask them to send a request for the passport once the whole process is complete or in the last stage of the process? is this possble?

your response from ur experience or knowledge is highly appreciated..plz help me if u knw somthing about this or went through a similar situation..
thaks a lot