+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

jihadberberi

May 6, 2013
Hello,

I'm a Canadian citizen living outside Canada since 2006. I'm planning to sponsor (outland) my wife to settle down in Canada after she receives her PR. I don't possess a Canadian driving license. Does anybody know, once i return to Canada (Quebec), if i can drive on my Lebanese driving license or/and my International driving license issued in Lebanon? if yes, what's the procedure and for how many days i'm allowed to drive?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jihadberberi said:
Hello,

I'm a Canadian citizen living outside Canada since 2006. I'm planning to sponsor (outland) my wife to settle down in Canada after she receives her PR. I don't possess a Canadian driving license. Does anybody know, once i return to Canada (Quebec), if i can drive on my Lebanese driving license or/and my International driving license issued in Lebanon? if yes, what's the procedure and for how many days i'm allowed to drive?

Thanks
According to http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver_licence/exchange/ you are allowed to drive in Quebec for up to 12 months before you have to exchange your license. If you were in Ontario, it would only be 2 months.

jihadberberi

May 6, 2013
Thanks Leon,

Just another question: If i'm allowed to drive for 12 months, do you think that i have to inform SAAQ that i'm driving on my foreign driving license?

Thanks

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Catou said:
From CIC's position, you probably got PR through misrepresentation. Getting married in Mexico won't fix that. What you really need to do is talk to an immigration lawyer and find out what your (legal) options are.
Personally, I find these sponsored children guilty of misrepresentation cases difficult to really understand and I've not found much in the way of IAD or Federal Court guidance with respect to them. In other words, how can one person be found "guilty" of misrepresentation in a case where someone else was responsible for the misrepresentation (remember, this person was a dependent and it was the applicant that signed off and had the ongoing duty to update the application). I suppose they could argue that the IMM 5406 contains the representation, but this form does not advise the dependent there is an ongoing responsibility to advise CIC of changes in family composition.

It is a good idea to speak with immigration counsel, but I for one don't know enough about the facts of this case to make a determination one way or the other (e.g., if the relationship qualified as a "common law" relationship under Canadian law at the time the OP became a PR of Canada). For example, they could have had a conjugal relationship but not have bee living together at the same address, or they could have been living at the same address but not had a conjugal relationship. There are quite a few factors required for something to rise to the level of a "common law" relationship and simply living at the same address is not sufficient to establish such a relationship (e.g., did they co-mingle finances, go on vacation together, hold themselves out to be a couple to their friends and family, etc.)

An attorney is your best choice here because what you say to your attorney is privileged so that your attorney cannot approach CIC and tell them that you misrepresented yourself - even if you did. This is not true of a consultant or anyone other than an attorney.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jihadberberi said:
Just another question: If i'm allowed to drive for 12 months, do you think that i have to inform SAAQ that i'm driving on my foreign driving license?
No. If you are stopped by police, they will ask you how long you have been in the country and you will tell them. Less than 12 months and you will be fine.

Ellasg

Oct 7, 2013
Japan
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2013
AOR Received.
29-01-2014
File Transfer...
03-02-2014
Med's Done....
29-10-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-04-2014, DM: 19-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2014
LANDED..........
06-06-2014
Hi there, I'm Ella, currently in Canada but I am Japanese Brazilian. I will apply outland (Sao Paulo) next month and I'm actually feeling positive about it. But two factors are concerning me: I have a Brazilian citizenship but have been living (legally) in Japan since I was 10 months old. I am not sure if this is relevant but I can imagine why someone would think it sounds bad even though it wasn't my choice to immigrate to Japan. Although I also hope that they'd consider the fact that I wasn't an illegal resident and always kept my status updated. Should I include a letter explaining my family situation in Japan/Brazil or would it just complicate the process?
And also, the fact that I'm only 19 years old and my partner is 26. Is age a crucial factor? I'm afraid they might not take us seriously considering we're that young and only common-law partners. I guess i can't do much about it.
But I've met his closest friends from elementary school, we visit his parents every weekend and we have been supporting each other financially and emotionally for over a year now. Now we just need this opportunity so we can start a life together and grow as a couple. :-[

Thank you in advance for your time and helpful comments!

jihadberberi

May 6, 2013
Leon said:
No. If you are stopped by police, they will ask you how long you have been in the country and you will tell them. Less than 12 months and you will be fine.
Thanks Leon,

Is the 12 months driving permit on a foreign license applied to a canadian citizen resides for the first time in Quebec as well as a Canadian citizen returns to Canada after many years of working abroad?

Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Ellasg said:
Should I include a letter explaining my family situation in Japan/Brazil or would it just complicate the process?
Where you were living in the world before you turned 18 is irrelevant to CIC. All they really care about here is that if you lived in a place for at least 6 months since you turned 18, you'll need a police report from there.

And also, the fact that I'm only 19 years old and my partner is 26. Is age a crucial factor? I'm afraid they might not take us seriously considering we're that young and only common-law partners. I guess i can't do much about it.
But I've met his closest friends from elementary school, we visit his parents every weekend and we have been supporting each other financially and emotionally for over a year now. Now we just need this opportunity so we can start a life together and grow as a couple. :-[
Every application is different. When it comes to age, usually the big concern is if one partner is significantly older than the other one. In your case I don't think that's a problem.

You'll just need to prove common-law status so will need to provide things such as a shared lease/rental agreement showing 12 months of cohabitation, testimonials from landlord/family/friends, shared bank account or credit card, joint life insurance, mail to both of you delivered to same address, your partner doing taxes as common-law or changing his martial status with CRA... and things like that.

mushfiq

Oct 7, 2013
My life is in danger

Dear humaneterian In Canada;

I am originally from Afghanistan, working with International NGOs since 2007, but the insurgents several times warned me they want to kill me, I want to you save my life and help me how to go there to canada?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Re: My life is in danger

mushfiq said:
Dear humaneterian In Canada;

I am originally from Afghanistan, working with International NGOs since 2007, but the insurgents several times warned me they want to kill me, I want to you save my life and help me how to go there to canada?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/outside/index.asp

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Question..documents that have to be copied for the sponsorhip app., do they have to be notarized? I mean things like ID or passports etc..

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
KaZRa said:
Question..documents that have to be copied for the sponsorhip app., do they have to be notarized? I mean things like ID or passports etc..
Not unless the instructions say so. However, if you want to get them notarised, there is nothing to stop you. Your choice...

frappCcino

Oct 1, 2013
Hi Leon/ Everyone,

So here's our story.

My partner and i met last 2005 in Singapore, Where we both worked. He was already a Canadian PR then. (He landed in Canada before we met). I became a Singapore PR last 2010

In 2006, His Cad PR will be expiring soon he has to make a decision whether to let go of his PR or quit his job in Singapore and pursue his Status in Canada... So he left. leaving us with a Long Distance relationship.

In 2007 we decided that I apply for a Canadian PR through Federal Skilled Workers. So i did.

While waiting for the decision, i would either come to Canada, or he'll visit Singapore. We would even meet in US when i went there. I has been a long wait and we cannot bear waiting for some more years.

Long story short, Just this year May 2013, i received a letter from CIC announces that "The Jobs, Growth and Long-term Prosperity Act" became a law on June 29, 2012. Making all applications Made before Feb 27, 2008 terminated by operations of law. I am one of those affected. just our luck. :( They will be sending back our application fees.

Last year when i visited here during Christmas. My partner and i were already deciding to get married since my application has been taking sooo long. We are not getting any younger anymore... and all the years that passed by are being wasted while waiting for the PR result. So just in time this CIC decision was made, we already have a plan that i come here in Canada this June (last june actually) then we will get married and file for Spousal sponsorship inland.

So we I came here again last June and got married and now in the process to submitting of Sponsorship Application.

Questions are:

Do you think they will hold it against us that we just got married because of the decision made by CIC terminating Federal skilled workers application made before Feb 27, 2008, where in my application was affected? We have evidences to prove that we are in a relationship since 2005 though.

In the Generic Application form (IMM 0008) under The country of Residence #10, Should i write "CANADA" already and the status as "VISITOR"? or i still should write Singapore?

skrm

Star Member
Jul 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2016
AOR Received.
14-09-2016, AOR2: 27-09-2016
File Transfer...
19-09-2016 Decision made.....: 31march2017
Med's Request
Pass
Med's Done....
16-07-2016
Passport Req..
10 April 2017 Passport Sent...: 11April 2017
VISA ISSUED...
18 April 2017
LANDED..........
28th April 2017
hi dear
my question is i got married with my husband in may 2010 in Canada and before that i was student. now my husband gave me divorce in Nov 2012. so i would like to know that i am going to India this Nov. can i marry to Indian guy and sponsor him or not?