+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

KKRSTNA

Dec 17, 2012
Hello all. I posted a previous question on here a few days ago in regards to working in Canada. I'll be leaving in 22 days and will arrive in Ontario on the 16th of Oct. As of now, I only have a few thousand dollars saved (less than 5k) I will be living with my boyfriend of three years and we plan on getting married so I can work/go to school as soon as possible.

I'm 19 years old (20 in a week) and I'm born and raised in California. I've only completed high school but plan to continue my education in Canada while being with my sweetheart.

My question is: Is there ANY way I could work while I'm in Canada? could marriage be a solution? would it help speed up any processes? We both love each other very much and I couldn't think about being with someone else so marrying him would be heaven, but I would like to do it on other terms if possible? I've read several posts on here where people have said non-Canadian citizens (even people who hasn't landed PR) have gotten work as a caregiver. Is this possible? I'm utterly confused. My boyfriend tells me everything will be ok but ok worried about being a burden. I want to help where I can (with bills) and I don't want to be an inactive blob while he works. Can someone please advise me on what some of my best options are? As I said, I do have a bit of money saved, but not my ideal amount, and my family will help me here and there but I hate feeling so helpless in this situation. I don't want to constantly get hand outs from people. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
KKRSTNA said:
My question is: Is there ANY way I could work while I'm in Canada?
There are some things you could do to be able to work in Canada but none of them are easy.

To be a live-in caregiver, you would first need to have either one full year of paid work experience in the last three years or six months of full time training in a relatd field in the last three years. The application process takes quite a long time and if approved, you would have to live with the family that hires you (not with your boyfriend). So I'm not sure this is a fit with your plans. If you get married and your boyfriend sponsors you as his spouse using the inland process, then you would qualify for an open work permit approximately 11 months after submitting the application. Alternatively, you can also qualify for a work permit by first finding an employer in Canada who is willing to hire you. That employer will then have to obtain something called an LMO (labour market opinion). To be approved for an LMO, the employer will have to prove that they advertised the job and were unable to find a Canadian for the role. Since LMOs cost money, take time and aren't always approved, it's usually quite difficult to find an employer who is willing to go through the process. But it can be done - so there's nothing stopping you from trying.

c_farah

Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-02-2013
AOR Received.
16-02-2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
09-09-2013
LANDED..........
07-10-2013
I'm sure this has been answered countless times before, so I apologize (a quick search didn't give me the answer I was looking for).

Very simply - how exactly do you "land"?

My wife is already in Canada and has been since June 2012. She's on a visitor visa.
We anticipate a COPR any day now (ecas reads "decision made" as of Sept. 9).

When we renewed our visitor visa, the agent said that we have to do a "Buffalo Shuffle" and physically drive to Buffalo, then re-enter at the border. Do we actually have to go through all that? I thought after we got our COPR we would just file some paperwork and we would be "landed"
Can anybody help with this as I'm trying to plan out the next steps?

Also, along the same lines, if I'm not mistaken, I have 12 months to bring a car in after immigration as a "thing to follow later". Can anybody confirm this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
c_farah said:
When we renewed our visitor visa, the agent said that we have to do a "Buffalo Shuffle" and physically drive to Buffalo, then re-enter at the border. Do we actually have to go through all that? I thought after we got our COPR we would just file some paperwork and we would be "landed"
You have three choices. You can land in Canada after arriving on an international flight (involves leaving Canada). You can drive to the nearest land border and flagpole by leaving Canada and re-entering (involves leaving Canada). You can also request a landing at the local visa office (does not require leaving Canada but does require waiting a number of weeks for an appointment to become available).

Catou

Jun 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2013
LANDED..........
Very soon.
c_farah said:
Also, along the same lines, if I'm not mistaken, I have 12 months to bring a car in after immigration as a "thing to follow later". Can anybody confirm this?
Only if the car has been owned and used by you before bringing it to Canada and it is on the list of goods to follow (the b4 form).

anshu

Sep 5, 2013
DO I NEED TO REFILL ALL FORMS

anshu said:
Hi everyone

i AM POSTING IT FOR THIRD TIME , PLEASE HELP ME OUT.....

I am an Indian, i filled up forms for spouse visa and sent to my husband who is in Canada, but in forms - IMM5669 and IMM5490, bit of information is required to be changed that is only one address. I want to know do i need to fill all the forms all over again and send or he can just fill those 2 pages in Canada and get its print out?

Thanks beforehand for replying.
Guide me.

Hungary

Jul 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2013
File Transfer...
2013-09-20
Med's Done....
28-05-2013
Passport Req..
Exempt
As far as I know, it depends on wether you need to sign the forms or not. I assume you have to sign each of the forms, so you should redo those forms, print them and send it.
Is your app already submitted? If not, its better to make the changes, so you can avoid delays. If it is, your husband will get the ID number after a while so using this number you can write and email to CPCM or if its sent abroad you Email to the VO and they can make the change.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
c_farah said:
Very simply - how exactly do you "land"?

My wife is already in Canada and has been since June 2012. She's on a visitor visa.
Her COPR will be mailed to the address on record with CIC, so hopefully that is your Canadian address. With COPR and passport, she then needs to travel to the nearest Canada/US land border. So this can be Buffalo, Niagara etc.
You first go to the US side, say you want to do a PR landing, and they will give you some paper and direct you back to the Canada side of border.

At the Canada side you officially "land".

An alternate was is to make an appointment at your local CIC office to land, but i believe the wait time to get an appointment for this is quite long (several months), which is the reason practically everyone outland does it at the US border.

c_farah

Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-02-2013
AOR Received.
16-02-2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
09-09-2013
LANDED..........
07-10-2013
@scylla and @Rob_TO - you guys are awesome - thanks!

As a follow up (sorry, these things pop into my head afterwards) - We plan on going back to the US around Xmas time for a vacation. Seeing how I anticipate we'll get the COPR shortly, will delaying the landing by ~1 - 2 months affect anything (OHIP being my big concern)?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
c_farah said:
@ scylla and @ Rob_TO - you guys are awesome - thanks!

As a follow up (sorry, these things pop into my head afterwards) - We plan on going back to the US around Xmas time for a vacation. Seeing how I anticipate we'll get the COPR shortly, will delaying the landing by ~1 - 2 months affect anything (OHIP being my big concern)?
It won't impact your PR visa in any way as long as your PR visa is valid until January / December.

It will impact OHIP. You can't start your three month OHIP count-down until you land. So if you put off landing until late December, you won't qualify for OHIP until late March.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
scylla said:
It will impact OHIP. You can't start your three month OHIP count-down until you land. So if you put off landing until late December, you won't qualify for OHIP until late March.
While this is the way that practically everyone does it, technically for an outland application there is a step during the stage 2 applicant processing, in which they will become eligible for OHIP (similar to completing stage 1 of inland) if currently residing in Canada. Usually this involves going through the OHIP Eligibility Review Committee. There is a great post on someone's recent experience here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/sponsoring-my-korean-wife-for-permanent-residency-t137874.0.html;msg2517978#msg2517978

So with just COPR but not landed, one can go to the local OHIP office and try to apply. Sometimes they will grant coverage, but usually the customer service staff will insist on having actual PR status. If you are willing to then go through the bureaucratic process and spend some time and effort, you can then take it further and go through the OERC to try and get your OHIP status backdated to sometime during stage 2 processing.

simik

Feb 8, 2013
Rob_TO said:
hi my spouse sponsorship application is in process,its outland application ..nd my student visa expired on august 30,2013 so what should i do now....i am pregnant nd due in 3 weeks ,, though i still have 90 days grace period

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In a previous post you said your study permit expried August 17th. Based on that, you now only have 50 days remaining of the original 90 to restore your status.

remonda

Star Member
Aug 30, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
It is a great information but i want to ask if the sponsor is canadian citizen living outside canada and with his sponsored in the same home they also will attend an interview to prove that they relation is in genuine

gongdi

Star Member
Jan 14, 2013
remonda said:
Hi
It is a great information but i want to ask if the sponsor is canadian citizen living outside canada and with his sponsored in the same home they also will attend an interview to prove that they relation is in genuine
It is always a possibility. Welcome to the wonderful world of CIC, where your future forecast rests in the hands of somebody who doesn't even know you. ???