+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply to sponsor him right away but he will not be able to join you right away. He may be able to visit if he can get a visit visa but as the husband of a PR, they may use that against him and say he is a risk to overstay so then he may have to wait until he gets his PR.

*Rossy*

Mar 27, 2011
Hi Everyone!

We are so confused with the sponsorship, my partner and me have 4 years of relationship and live together for the last 2 ½ years in my country (he is canadian citizen). The problem is that us in this 2 ½ years can't be together for 12 month uninterrupted because he work every year in Canada for the summer (2 or 3 months) and he visit his family too. So, this time is not valid because don't live together the completed year? for the application of common-law partner is necesary be 12 months uninterrupted more?

I hope you can understand my english and my worries... :-[

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
*Rossy* said:
Hi Everyone!

We are so confused with the sponsorship, my partner and me have 4 years of relationship and live together for the last 2 ½ years in my country (he is canadian citizen). The problem is that us in this 2 ½ years can't be together for 12 month uninterrupted because he work every year in Canada for the summer (2 or 3 months) and he visit his family too. So, this time is not valid because don't live together the completed year? for the application of common-law partner is necesary be 12 months uninterrupted more?

I hope you can understand my english and my worries... :-[
Why not marry your partner?

*Rossy*

Mar 27, 2011
We love and decided to spend our lives together, ;) but marriage is not our solution because we don't like it. :-X

And less by something of immigration if we spent much more time that they asking to be together ... so not fair ... at least for us :(

All the persons are free to decided how live together and not all the person be married... ::)

I'm so sad because he return to Canada and start to working and is more dificult for us spend one year together because i need visa for canada and he can't stop to work... :-[

We don't know to do... :'(

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you only want to use the spousal application route and do not want to get married, "conjugal" is no good to you.
All you really have left is, to arrange your life so you can meet the requirements of common law.

It may not seem fair, but the rules are the rules.

*Rossy*

Mar 27, 2011
Baloo said:
If you only want to use the spousal application route and do not want to get married, "conjugal" is no good to you.
All you really have left is, to arrange your life so you can meet the requirements of common law.

It may not seem fair, but the rules are the rules.
That hurt a lot... i don't understand, if you married with a person and you don't love him and only make this for immigrate, is right? :mad:but if you love so much, and have a genuine relationship for along time and live together like a "family" with this intention, but is impossible live together all a year, this is not right? :( is so sad... sorry for write this but we don't know to do... :'(

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
*Rossy* said:
That hurt a lot... i don't understand, if you married with a person and you don't love him and only make this for immigrate, is right? :mad:but if you love so much, and have a genuine relationship for along time and live together like a "family" with this intention, but is impossible live together all a year, this is not right? :( is so sad... sorry for write this but we don't know to do... :'(
There was no intent to "hurt", the statements were about reality, based on your description of the situation you are in.

If CIC see a marriage of convenience, it will give you a lot of problems.

If you love each other and decide that you want to be together, why would marriage be an issue?
What makes marriage so bad that the two of you would avoid it so much?
It seems like you would avoid marriage even if it means you will not be together - surely loving each other is bigger than that approach?

We all make our own choices for our own reasons, when we make a choice, we have to deal with the consequences.

It is not impossible for you to be living together for a year, many people do this and successfully immigrate to Canada.

Have you looked at other options for immigration?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

*Rossy*

Mar 27, 2011
Is possible to obtain a visa and extend for 6 months more? and later make the application of sponsorship? can we make this? we need help, please!

Civil union is like a marriage? what is the difference?
Can we legalized the common-law partner?

and thanks!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
*Rossy* said:
Is possible to obtain a visa and extend for 6 months more? and later make the application of sponsorship? can we make this? we need help, please!
It may be possible, many people do this.
What country are you a citizen of?

Civil Union/Commitment Ceremony:
Although civil unions and commitment ceremonies are similar to marriages, they are not recognized as marriages for Canadian immigration purposes.

*Rossy*

Mar 27, 2011
Thanks "Baloo" for take you time in answer me...

When i talk to marriage for convenience, i don't talk of us... i say this things happens...

I know that sounds maybe stupid but, we don't believe in the marriage... we think that if you love you not need a paper to proof... yes, maybe the people think that is ridiculous...

He stayed with me in my country because for me was more difficult go to Canada... and now we want make a family, and want established, we have all the proof that i live together in the same place, joint accounts, and the aproved of our families, all like we want be together always... with future plans...

I'm from Venezuela

If you have a civil union, in the immigration is like spousal or common-law partner?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
*Rossy* said:
Thanks "Baloo" for take you time in answer me...

When i talk to marriage for convenience, i don't talk of us... i say this things happens...
Yes, I understand that.

I know that sounds maybe stupid but, we don't believe in the marriage... we think that if you love you not need a paper to proof... yes, maybe the people think that is ridiculous...
If you don't believe in marriage, then why would it be an issue for you to have a civil marriage (not a civil union)?
Deal with it as part of the process, married or not you still need to prove a genuine relationship.

He stayed with me in my country because for me was more difficult go to Canada... and now we want make a family, and want established, we have all the proof that i live together in the same place, joint accounts, and the aproved of our families, all like we want be together always... with future plans...

But, and this is a big thing, you said that you do not meet the 12 month rule.

I'm from Venezuela
As you have had problems trying to get a visa before, it will not be any easier this time.

If you have a civil union, in the immigration is like spousal or common-law partner?

Civil union means nothing to Canadian immigration, ignore it.
Why do you think a civil marriage is different to a civil union?

*Rossy*

Mar 27, 2011
Thanks one more time for answer me... ;)

Yes, just like say before he work in canada every summer for 2 or 3 months, and the time most long together was 10 months.. (we have separated only 5 months in two and half year) he lived with me more time that in Canada, without his family and friends for be with me... and i don't clasified for other process to inmigration. :(

We don't know the rule before he return to Canada, we thinks that if we have many years living together and all the proof was enough... :'(

I don't yet for apply a visa, because we don't know to say for apply... i need to say i go to visit my partner or what? i listen if you say that you visit your partner, boyfriend, husband, the visa will be refused... :-X

Baloo said:
Why do you think a civil marriage is different to a civil union?
Only ask, because i don't know what is the difference...

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
*Rossy* said:
And i read that in Canada have three forms to union:

Marriage
Civil Union
Common-law partner...
But as far as I know, not for immigration.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
*Rossy* said:
i listen if you say that you visit your partner, boyfriend, husband, the visa will be refused... :-X
Sadly that is the case for so many people.
But there is nothing to prevent you from trying.