Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2, 2017
AOR Received.
2017/02/10 In-process 2017/02/16 Test 2017/03/22 DM 2017/03/23
amikety said:
We see lots of posts from people who failed to declare a spouse or child before immigration and now can never sponsor that person. CIC sticks to this rule and will not make exceptions. Generally, there aren't H&C exceptions. CIC is very strict about it.
Yea.. That's what my concern is for the OP.

Here is one of her statement from the other thread:

iole said:
Thank you Iay!
I came here January 2012 as a PR. we married only this month in Singapore, but we've been boyfriend-girlfriend for the last 9 years. During my application for residency I did not declare that we lived together for more than a year since our parents and relatives didn't know about our relationship since it is considered taboo in the Philippines. That also makes it hard for us to provide proofs of our relationship since we didn't have much photos to submit but a lot of Skype logs and conversation.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
amikety said:
We see lots of posts from people who failed to declare a spouse or child before immigration and now can never sponsor that person. CIC sticks to this rule and will not make exceptions. Generally, there aren't H&C exceptions. CIC is very strict about it.
I never could get what that rule is in place for?

iole

Sep 22, 2012
Iay said:
On the marriage part, I think they are ok since cousin-marriage is legal in SG and Canada.
What I am more concerned tho is that, they were kind of common-law before iole came to Canada as a PR, and she wasn't able to declare their relationship because it was not open and accepted in the Philippines.

Do you think they can get away with that?

I heard from someone who forgot to declare a common-law partner before entering Canada as PR and got called for an interview in CEM during their spousal sponorship. She said the interviewer kind of harassed her and told her she lied for not telling them she has a common-law partner before coming in to Canada.
She did not get the response right away, and I don't know if she eventually got the Visa.
Thank you Iay for that information. I think you are right I wont have much problem proving our marriage. It frightens me to read the latter part of your message so I checked the cic's definition of common-law partner and this is what it says:

Common Law Partner

"Refers to a person who is living in a conjugal relationship with another person (opposite or same sex), and has done so continuously for a period of at least one year. A conjugal relationship exists when there is a significant degree of commitment between two people.
Common-law partners must attach any documents that show they are in a committed and genuine relationship, for example, evidence that they share the same home, that they support each other financially and emotionally, that they have had children together, or that they present themselves in public as a couple.

Common-law partners who are unable to live together or appear in public together because of legal restrictions in their home country may still qualify and should be included on the application.

Common-law partners who meet the conditions outlined above but who have been separated for reasons beyond their control (for example, civil war or armed conflict) may qualify and should be included on the application."

Im praying that we can get through it.. I really do.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
CanadianJeepGuy said:
I'm not entire certain. I have a few speculations, but that's all. It seems like a silly and/or harsh rule, but I'm sure CIC has a reason for it. Probably a good one.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
amikety said:
I'm not entire certain. I have a few speculations, but that's all. It seems like a silly and/or harsh rule, but I'm sure CIC has a reason for it. Probably a good one.
To be honest my experience with CIC has shown that reason is not an applied policy.

If at the time I sponsor my wife her sister has no intention on leaving and then 3 years goes by and circumstances change then why should we not be able to sponsor her?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
iole said:
Thank you Iay for that information. I think you are right I wont have much problem proving our marriage. It frightens me to read the latter part of your message so I checked the cic's definition of common-law partner and this is what it says:

Common Law Partner

"Refers to a person who is living in a conjugal relationship with another person (opposite or same sex), and has done so continuously for a period of at least one year. A conjugal relationship exists when there is a significant degree of commitment between two people.
Common-law partners must attach any documents that show they are in a committed and genuine relationship, for example, evidence that they share the same home, that they support each other financially and emotionally, that they have had children together, or that they present themselves in public as a couple.

Common-law partners who are unable to live together or appear in public together because of legal restrictions in their home country may still qualify and should be included on the application.

Common-law partners who meet the conditions outlined above but who have been separated for reasons beyond their control (for example, civil war or armed conflict) may qualify and should be included on the application."

If you lived together in any country, regardless of whether it was legal or not for at least 1 year, then Canada considers you Common-Law. This means you were CL at the time you entered Canada.

CIC will not care CL is not valid in the Phils. There have been numerous court cases and CIC has won them.

You have 2 options:

1) Try to apply anyway. You will most likely get rejected because of the CL status. You will also open yourself up to misrepresentation and the possibility to lose your PR (never heard of it happening but it's possible). Very high chance of failure.

2) Your husband can find a way to immigrate independantly, such as Skilled Worker or Student.

A lawyer cannot fix this. You may want to consult one, but no one can make this better or change what has already happened. No lawyer can change the rules of CIC either. If a lawyer tells you this isn't a big deal, he is lying or an idiot.

I really wish there was a more clear way to deal with CL, because it's not legal in all countries. Naturally, if it isn't legal in your home country, why would you consider it applying to another country........... Argh.

Iay

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2, 2017
AOR Received.
2017/02/10 In-process 2017/02/16 Test 2017/03/22 DM 2017/03/23
iole said:

Common Law Partner

I really hope you can get through. I can't imagine how hard it is to not be able to be with your husband in Canada. :'(

On the definition that you quoted tho. It says that whether or not your relationship is legal in the country, or even if you can't appear as a couple in public but you still are, it is considered common-law partner. Therefore, would needed to be declared before you landed as PR.

Like CanadianJeepGuy, I don't really know the rationale for putting up this rule.
It is harsh and many people have been restricted to sponsor a family member, even spouse because of it. :(

Really hoping for the best on your relationship and app. :)

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
CanadianJeepGuy said:
It's an anti-fraud measure.

Suppose your partner has a serious medical condition. If you apply as a skilled worker and single and are accepted, you can then sponsor your partner. Had you applied together, you'd not have been approved.

If a single family member is inadmissible the entire family is inadmissible. Thus, if CIC does not have an opportunity to examine all family members at the time of the original application, they might allow someone who should have been refused. The rule turns this on its head: anyone not examined because they were not declared is automatically excluded as a member of the family class.

The loophole here is that if you DO declare someone as your partner and CIC refuses to recognize the relationship, you can then sponsor them in the future - because the decision not to examine was CIC's, not the applicants. I've seen multiple cases that fall into this exception category.

I know of one case where H&C relief was granted. The case was a father who did not even know about the child at the time he applied. He learned of the child more than a decade later and attempted to sponsor the child but was refused. In his case the Court actually ruled in his favour, but it really is a seriously difficult rule.

Further, it seems that some people just don't GET the fact it relates to Canadian law. It has nothing to do with the laws or customs of the jurisdiction in which the couple are living. Like the cousins living together - immigration applications are confidential, so that information would not be released back. Thus it is mandatory that the applicants be honest and forthcoming with their situation. I've seen a few times when this gets sticky (e.g., a same sex couple in a country where such a relationship is a criminal offence punishable by death - they had an interesting time obtaining a notarized affidavit of common-law union!) But you create more trouble for yourself by lying.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
CanadianJeepGuy said:
If at the time I sponsor my wife her sister has no intention on leaving and then 3 years goes by and circumstances change then why should we not be able to sponsor her?
Generally, you cannot sponsor siblings.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
computergeek said:
Generally, you cannot sponsor siblings.

Thanks. That was a great explanation.

So only parents or spouses can be sponsors?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
CanadianJeepGuy said:

Unless everyone else is dead yes.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
CanadianJeepGuy said:

MB and SK have family provisions through PNP, but they are limited in scope.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
amikety said:
MB and SK have family provisions through PNP, but they are limited in scope.
I had a colleague who's wife sponsored her sister through the PNP process.

No one wants to live in MB or SK so they have to have some way of sucking potential longterm residence in. I can certainly understand why no one would want to live in MB but SK has got so much growth and opportunity.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
CanadianJeepGuy said:
Parents (except sponsorship is currently closed), spouses, children and (under limited circumstances) grandchildren.

I did say "generally" and there are a few limited exceptions, plus the H&C class.