+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

libellula

Jan 18, 2013
juliac said:
I'm a Canadian living in Italy, applying to sponsor my husband.

I have not been able to find an answer to this problem and I'm hoping someone can help me!

We are aware that the apostille does NOT apply to Italian (or any other foreign) documents as Canada is a non-signatory at the Hague convention. This brought up questions with Italian offices who then said we must, in some way, have their signatures 'authenticated' for use in Canada. Yesterday I called the Embassy and spoke with a woman (who does NOT work at immigration but has helped me in the past) and she told me that what we need to do is have the Procura or Prefettura (like a notary) sign my husbands Italian documents or certified copies (birth certificate, our marriage certificate, and police document), then send these documents via post to the EMBASSY and they will authenticate the signatures of the procura/prefettura, send them back to us and THEN we can send them in our application package. Is this correct? If it is and it is on the website, WHERE does it say this? I have not been able to find ANYTHING of the sort; all i have seen is that we need certified TRANSLATIONS of these documents.

If someone could please clear up some of this confusion, it would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance.
Hello-
I just went through legalizing my documents in Italy also and am in the 2nd phase of the immigration in Canada. I also have a couple who just went through all of this and made it out the other side with their paperwork and are happily residing in Canada!
You have to gather all of your documents,marriage certificate etc. and then have them legalised by the prefettura (authenticated),as well as translated into either french or english. I remember that for the police records,I had to go to the tribunale pick up my records,go across the street and pay about 80.00 for each document to be translated. Then the translater took it back over to the court to have it legalised. As for the marriage certificate,ours already had french on it as well as Italian so we were able to get by without the translation.

monini05

Feb 10, 2013
mhmh said:
Hi monini,
I am uk student from bangladesh...I had the same situation few monthes ago..but I talked to few lawyers..they said I need ******1 year valid visa********minimum from uk to apply for Canada .....so I had to renew the visa from uk thn I applied.....
I dnt know is that different rules all or country specific??????..
Hope u,ll find the way out soon...
Good luck
Hi mhmh,

Thanks a lot for the information. did you get sponsored by a spouse? - I know this visa issue is so big now in England. So many people are getting their visas denied if their schools are not ”highly trusted”.

Beginner

Oct 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
:( :-X :'(
computergeek said:
In the US thread we were discussing this today because it was quoted to a Canadian citizen sponsor. But I've gone back to IRPR to get the exact text:

130(2) actually grants relief to Citizens living abroad, but it does say they must be living in Canada by the time the applicant becomes a permanent resident.

130(3) describes the five year ban on sponsoring a spouse (and answers a question that came up in a different thread).

mhmh

Star Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore and then London (as I'm in London from 5years)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/11/2012
AOR Received.
22/11/2012
File Transfer...
26/11/2022
Med's Done....
01/10/2012
Interview........
Request 16/07/14. Interview 23/07/14(London). Re-med 01/09/14
Passport Req..
23/09/14. Decision made : 20/10/14
VISA ISSUED...
16/10/14. Received : 22/10/14
LANDED..........
26/10/2014
monini05 said:
Hi mhmh,

Thanks a lot for the information. did you get sponsored by a spouse? - I know this visa issue is so big now in England. So many people are getting their visas denied if their schools are not ”highly trusted”.
Hi......
I m spouse....my husband is Canadian citizen...and I dnt know u guys are married yet or not...in England there is an another issue to get the marriage appointment...u ve to wait for long time for that....
About college..now u even can not apply without any highly trusted college....and may be u know that u cant get work permit unless u r university student...its a same that their rules is changeling almost every week....

nzandcanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
No AOR received
File Transfer...
11-03-2013
Med's Done....
19-10-2012
Hi There,
I have applied to sponsor my common law spouse, outland. Wondered if anyone knows how long the PR visa is valid for once you get that final decision. It looks like it could still be in process until the end of the year so I may go live with him in his home country for a while. Just want to have an idea of how much time we'd have to get back to Canada once he's approved.
Thanks!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
nzandcanada said:
Hi There,
I have applied to sponsor my common law spouse, outland. Wondered if anyone knows how long the PR visa is valid for once you get that final decision. It looks like it could still be in process until the end of the year so I may go live with him in his home country for a while. Just want to have an idea of how much time we'd have to get back to Canada once he's approved.
Thanks!
The COPR is valid until the expiration of the medicals (one year from the date they were completed, or two years if the VO asked for an extension of them) or the passport, whichever is less.

nzandcanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
No AOR received
File Transfer...
11-03-2013
Med's Done....
19-10-2012
computergeek said:
The COPR is valid until the expiration of the medicals (one year from the date they were completed, or two years if the VO asked for an extension of them) or the passport, whichever is less.
Thanks for the info! Its possible at this point that our application decision will not be available before his medical expires. He got it on Oct 19 and we submitted on Nov 27. They have not started processing our application yet. Once we get stage 1 approval its an additional 9 months... so it will be cutting really close. Is this a case where they would ask for an extension?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
nzandcanada said:
Thanks for the info! Its possible at this point that our application decision will not be available before his medical expires. He got it on Oct 19 and we submitted on Nov 27. They have not started processing our application yet. Once we get stage 1 approval its an additional 9 months... so it will be cutting really close. Is this a case where they would ask for an extension?
They would either request that you repeat the medical OR they would extend it. But it's their choice, not yours

monini05

Feb 10, 2013
mhmh said:
Hi......
I m spouse....my husband is Canadian citizen...and I dnt know u guys are married yet or not...in England there is an another issue to get the marriage appointment...u ve to wait for long time for that....
About college..now u even can not apply without any highly trusted college....and may be u know that u cant get work permit unless u r university student...its a same that their rules is changeling almost every week....
Well we are not married yet. We were planning on getting married in April but right now, he doesnt even have his passport with him as an ID so Im not quite sure if we could get the license without it. How was your process? I know it takes 2 weeks for the licence to be processed?
Also, when you re-appealed for your visa, did it take a long time?

Thanks so much for the info! Im so glad to have known you!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
monini05 said:
Well we are not married yet. We were planning on getting married in April but right now, he doesnt even have his passport with him as an ID so Im not quite sure if we could get the license without it. How was your process? I know it takes 2 weeks for the licence to be processed?

License depends on where you are. I got my license same day in Alberta.

Depending on what other ID he has, he may not need his passport. I didn't need mine - but my driver's license is in English, as my birth certificate, etc. It would be best to call the registry and ask.

racined

Feb 3, 2013
Hello,

My common law partner is a Japanese citizen. I am a Canadian citizen. She is applying for permanent residency in Canada. She lived in Australia on a working holiday visa for 1 year. Would she need to get a police certificate from Australia too?

Thanks in advance.

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
Hi,Racined..She needs an Australian police letter.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
nzandcanada said:
Assuming you're going through Sydney office ( seeing your name), and if you have an uncomplicated case, most likely you'll be done before the 9 months... Sydney is a very fast office, so don't despair!
Sweden

Popo012

Star Member
Sep 30, 2012
Omg,I'm so happy :).I got my letter from the CIC,I'm finally done with all the process and I got approved for my PR.Now,I'm just waiting for the CIC in Ottawa to contact me to granted my PR and pay the 490$.Omg,that's done,nomore stress and life will continue with my beautiful wife :).It took me 1 year n 8 months,long time of waiting.Thank you everybody,for all your helps and I was lucky to find this forum,A big thanks to ComputerGeek and Leon,n I wish you guys good luck.I will stick around to read some posted anyways :).Thank you guys for all your helps.

mhmh

Star Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore and then London (as I'm in London from 5years)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/11/2012
AOR Received.
22/11/2012
File Transfer...
26/11/2022
Med's Done....
01/10/2012
Interview........
Request 16/07/14. Interview 23/07/14(London). Re-med 01/09/14
Passport Req..
23/09/14. Decision made : 20/10/14
VISA ISSUED...
16/10/14. Received : 22/10/14
LANDED..........
26/10/2014
monini05 said:

Right,I am not sure if u can manage with a homeoffice letter that ur passport with them under process or any other I'd ...the marriage process is like that-ur partner has to give notice to the council where he lives then they ll give u a appointment for an interview with all I'd and some other documents after then u ve to book the hall where u gonna get married..and u gonna get the marriage certificate on same day...

I was not refused for my student visa ...I had to wait for 3 monthes to get my visa done then we got married here and then my husband applied for me from Canada...