+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

mandn

Dec 3, 2012
scylla said:
Is there anything stopping you from getting married? I also don't think there is anything stopping you from legally living together based on the information you have provided. For example, she could quit her job, change her status to visitor and then live with you.

Based on the information you've provided so far, I don't think you face the immigration barriers that are required to qualify for conjugal.

Is there more information you have to provide that might possibly prove otherwise?
First of all. thank you for your reply.

Yes we could get married, but what will that solve??

Well she cant live with me under the live in care giver program. But yes she could quit that job and program. Then I guess she could change to a visitor? for how long does that last? Its too bad as a visitor she wont be able to work and make any money. Then how long will that go on for? We both want to work full time as soon as we can

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mandn said:
My girlfriend and I met over 1 year ago. She is in the live in care giver program. She is close to being halfway through her care giver requirement. However after reading this (It now takes 18/19 months to received the open work permit and more 18 months for the permanent resident status and this number increase every week.)

change.org/en-CA/petitions/live-in-caregiver-program-in-canada-faster-1st-stage-of-approval-after-apply-for-pr-under-the-lcp-in-canada

I thought those time are just too long for both of us to wait for her to get PR. We want to have a family and live together and it is not possible for us to do those kind of things when she is living in another persons home. I want her to live with me and not in someone else's home.

So I decided that sponsoring her would be the fastest way for us to be more than conjugal. When we first met she was living in with her employer and we would see each other every weekend. One day she had to quit that caregiver job so she had to wait for another LMO and work permit. During this time she is living with me. But when she gets that work permit she will have to leave and live with the family.

When I apply to sponsor her our relationship has to be conjugal since we cannot live with each other legally once she gets her caregiver work permit.
You could marry her and sponsor her inland. She could have an open work permit in 6 months if all goes well. You could sponsor her outland. Then it would depend on her home country how long it takes. You could let her go and live with the next employer. She could complete her hours and apply for PR and she would not have to wait 18 months for an open permit. As far as I know, they changed that back in 2011, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2011/2011-12-15.asp She could work on the open permit while living with you and if you live together for 12 months, you could apply to sponsor her under common law and see if that gets her PR faster than then live in caregiver program.

Forget conjugal. She is in Canada so you have no immigration barriers. The checklist for who should not apply under conjugal explicitly states that you should not bother if you could have lived together but did not want to give up your job. That's her.

mandn

Dec 3, 2012
Leon said:
You could marry her and sponsor her inland. She could have an open work permit in 6 months if all goes well. You could sponsor her outland. Then it would depend on her home country how long it takes. You could let her go and live with the next employer. She could complete her hours and apply for PR and she would not have to wait 18 months for an open permit. As far as I know, they changed that back in 2011, see She could work on the open permit while living with you and if you live together for 12 months, you could apply to sponsor her under common law and see if that gets her PR faster than then live in caregiver program.

Forget conjugal. She is in Canada so you have no immigration barriers. The checklist for who should not apply under conjugal explicitly states that you should not bother if you could have lived together but did not want to give up your job. That's her.
Thank you for your reply. Its very simple yet very informative of my options. I appreciate it. I still have some questions though.
You could marry her and sponsor her inland. She could have an open work permit in 6 months if all goes well.
So say I marry her. and apply to sponsor her inland (or outland I dont know if its faster. She is from Japan) after that. I heard my application takes about 1 month to get processed and "Approved" and hers will take at least 9 months to get process and approved for PR. Does she also get an open work permit before she gets PR ? This takes 6 months?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mandn said:
Thank you for your reply. Its very simple yet very informative of my options. I appreciate it. I still have some questions though.So say I marry her. and apply to sponsor her inland (or outland I dont know if its faster. She is from Japan) after that. I heard my application takes about 1 month to get processed and "Approved" and hers will take at least 9 months to get process and approved for PR. Does she also get an open work permit before she gets PR ? This takes 6 months?
If you apply outland - there is no open work permit option.

If you apply inland - she will qualify for an open work permit once she has first stage approval. Assuming there are no issues with the application, she should have first stage approval around 6 months after submitting the application.

Tsichi15

Star Member
Sep 11, 2012
hello!

We applied for outland sponsorship, my visa office is Abu Dhabi. I am from Philippines and currently working in Saudi Arabia. We submitted our application last May 17, 2012, received AOR via email then file transferred to visa office, Acknowledgement was received. Required document was requested and I submitted it last November 25.
I have this situation and I really need ideas and suggestions for assistance. My contract will end next year by March, my company is currently facing a problem that's why they are doing cost cutting allowing employees that will end the contract early next year to have an exit visa this December.
The problem is, my file is being processed in Abu Dhabi, will there be a problem if I change my address to my home country? Are they still going to continue my application even if I am staying in the Philippines? And what if they require an interview, is it ok to be interviewed in another place other than the location of visa office where my file is?

My employer gave us 2 options: 1. Sign for another contract and that will be for another 2 years ( if, in God's grace, I received the visa earlier than that I will never be able to resign immediately) 2. They will give an exit visa for me this Dec. if I'm still going to resign by March.

Thank you in advance for the reply.

mandn

Dec 3, 2012
scylla said:
If you apply outland - there is no open work permit option.

If you apply inland - she will qualify for an open work permit once she has first stage approval. Assuming there are no issues with the application, she should have first stage approval around 6 months after submitting the application.
In a few months I think she will get her live in care giver work permit. After she gets this and we decide to get married and I decide to sponsor her will this caregiver permit interfere with the open work permit she will get after the first stage of approval? OR can she continue to work as a nanny while she is waiting for the first stage approval and afterwards too? and if she gets first stage approval and the open work permit...can she quit being a nanny and stay in canada?

Popo012

Star Member
Sep 30, 2012
Computergeek

I would like to ask you some couple of questions:
1)Will the CIC write me an email to tell me that they received the medical exam?
2)what they will tell me next after the 2nd stage is done?

Your thought will be appreciate thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mandn said:
In a few months I think she will get her live in care giver work permit. After she gets this and we decide to get married and I decide to sponsor her will this caregiver permit interfere with the open work permit she will get after the first stage of approval? OR can she continue to work as a nanny while she is waiting for the first stage approval and afterwards too? and if she gets first stage approval and the open work permit...can she quit being a nanny and stay in canada?
Ok, aside from being sponsored as a spouse, if she completes her hours and applies for PR and gets the open work permit soon after that, she can quit being a nanny as soon as she has that open permit. That is why it is called an open permit, because you can do any job.

If she completes her hours and applies for PR through the LCP, the only advantage in you sponsoring her would be that she gets her PR faster.

bistro85

Nov 30, 2012
Hi been here in jasper,alberta,canada for 7months now and my contract is only 1 year.my work is a kitchen helper so im not yet skilled worker.but since my boss saw my potential he wants me to be a cook and they said that is a skilled work.in case they change my LMO to cook and gets approved is it true that i can apply right away for a spouse visa for my wife?if its true how?please help me.

munchkin80

Aug 12, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 10th 2012
Doc's Request.
December 4th 2012, All sent January 3rd 2013
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
December 4th 2012
File Transfer...
September 20th 2012
Interview........
April 16th 2013 - "In Process" on E-Cas: April 17th 2013
Passport Req..
May 19th 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Soon InshAllah
LANDED..........
Soon InshAllah
I received an Email from Abu Dhabi, asking for the Right of Permanent Resident Fee.
I've already included this when submitting the application to Mississauga. I have a receipt for a total of $1,040 dollars as well.
I really don't understand why they are asking for it again. I paid the fees online and I have a receipt with a bar code and total showing $1,040......
What should I do,,, so worried and confused now.

I believe it was $550 dollars + $490 = $1,040

can anyone please guide me..

Thanks!

Popo012

Star Member
Sep 30, 2012
Computergeek

I would like to ask you some couple of questions:
1)Will the CIC write me an email to tell me that they received the medical exam?

Your thought will be appreciate thank you.

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
munchkin80 said:
I received an Email from Abu Dhabi, asking for the Right of Permanent Resident Fee.
I've already included this when submitting the application to Mississauga. I have a receipt for a total of $1,040 dollars as well.
I really don't understand why they are asking for it again. I paid the fees online and I have a receipt with a bar code and total showing $1,040......
What should I do,,, so worried and confused now.

I believe it was $550 dollars + $490 = $1,040

can anyone please guide me..
Send them a reply with proof of payment.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bistro85 said:
Hi been here in jasper,alberta,canada for 7months now and my contract is only 1 year.my work is a kitchen helper so im not yet skilled worker.but since my boss saw my potential he wants me to be a cook and they said that is a skilled work.in case they change my LMO to cook and gets approved is it true that i can apply right away for a spouse visa for my wife?if its true how?please help me.
If you get a new LMO and a new work permit as a cook, your wife can apply for an open work permit based on your work permit at the Canadian embassy in her home country. She still needs to prove that she will not overstay in Canada. If immigration thinks she will overstay, they will still not give her a permit.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Popo012 said:
In my experience, no CIC does not tell you when anything (including medicals) is received, although e-CAS updates sometimes with medicals (but not so for re-medicals). Usually, once second state is done, you will get a letter indicating this. For inland, that means they are sending your file to an inland office for landing, for outland it is the PPR.