+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

zoeboekatydid

Nov 30, 2010
Oswego IL USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Leon for the response. That answered my question. Once again I could use your advice and knowledge. Should we apply for sponsorship and PR inland, so I can apply for an open work permit or should I apply outland? I know its faster if we apply outland but if I get called for an interview, I would have to go back to the US whereas if we apply inland, I would have to apply for an extension which might run out before a response on the sponsorship. I dont mean to bother you with the questions but you are the only one who is answering them. I appreciate that.

MandiF

Sep 7, 2010
Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2011
LANDED..........
25-02-2011
zoeboekatydid said:
Thank you Leon for the response. That answered my question. Once again I could use your advice and knowledge. Should we apply for sponsorship and PR inland, so I can apply for an open work permit or should I apply outland? I know its faster if we apply outland but if I get called for an interview, I would have to go back to the US whereas if we apply inland, I would have to apply for an extension which might run out before a response on the sponsorship. I dont mean to bother you with the questions but you are the only one who is answering them. I appreciate that.
There are quite a few threads on this forum for outland vs inland and generally speaking if you are from the US the timescales for initial sponsorship approval inland is significantly longer that the whole process outland. Also if you apply inland you would not be able to leave Canada during the approximate 18 month process as well as there being no right of appeal should the decision not go your way.

For most people from visa exempt countries outland is a better option, but it might be best if you did a search of the forum to see full threads of this being discussed.

zoeboekatydid

Nov 30, 2010
Oswego IL USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Mandif. I appreciate the answer. I am glad I found this forum. It answered so many of my questions. I was just trying to figure out what would be my best way to approach this. I want to do everything right. Should my fiance and i get married before we apply for sponsership or can we get the paperwork in before we are married to start the process? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are applying for spousal PR you have to be married before you submit the application.

MandiF

Sep 7, 2010
Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2011
LANDED..........
25-02-2011
zoeboekatydid said:
Thank you Mandif. I appreciate the answer. I am glad I found this forum. It answered so many of my questions. I was just trying to figure out what would be my best way to approach this. I want to do everything right. Should my fiance and i get married before we apply for sponsership or can we get the paperwork in before we are married to start the process? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
If you read the first posting on this thread it gives you the different options for applying for PR.
Spousal - you need to be married
CommonLaw - you need to prove that you have cohabited for at least 12 months
Congujal - is the hardest to prove and you need to prove an ongoing intertwined spousal type relationship, but you have not cohabited for 12 months

Baloo is correct, if you want to apply via the spousal route, you will need to be married.

zoeboekatydid

Nov 30, 2010
Oswego IL USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you guys for your help. I have read the forum and i must have spaced it. Mind is going in so many directions. I will keep reading daily. I am sure I will have questions in the future however. Its not everyday one decides to move to another country and get married. Thank you again for all your help and patience.

James_Jarlson

Dec 2, 2010
My situation:
My girlfriend is Japanese. I am born and raised Canadian. We have been dating for two years. She originally came to Canada on a study permit, then had work permit, and then went back to Japan for five months (I went to visit her during) after her work permit expired. She is currently here in Canada as I visitor. We have decided we would like to get married. We were thinking in Japan this summer, but I don't want to be apart anymore, and I'd like to get the PR ball rolling, to I was thinking of getting legally married on Dec.11 (no formal ceremony, just a few friends) here in Canada. However, her 'visitor visa' (passport stamp) expires on Dec. 22. We would like to apply for a visitor extension, as I'd like her to be with me over Christmas, plus I'm not sure how much time we will need to prepare the Outbound PR application (she wants to apply Outbound as she wants to be able to go back and forth to Japan, if family emergency). She may want to go back to Japan in February because her sister is having a baby. Sooooo, I guess my questions are:

1) Does it look suspicious to CIC not having a formal wedding, and so close to her return date?

2) Will she be able to get a visitor extension? 3) And if we apply for it to be extended until Feb., and she goes back then, will she have trouble returning to me in Canada, say, in March?

Thanks very much for any advice!!!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
James_Jarlson said:
1) Does it look suspicious to CIC not having a formal wedding, and so close to her return date?

2) Will she be able to get a visitor extension? 3) And if we apply for it to be extended until Feb., and she goes back then, will she have trouble returning to me in Canada, say, in March?

Thanks very much for any advice!!!
1. Maybe, but you will just need to provide more proof.
2. Maybe, but if you send it by post processing times are about 100 days, during which she will be on implied status (until a decision is made).
3. Getting an extension should not have any impact on readmission to Canada.
Leaving and returning is always an unknown - there is no answer - except the one she will get at immigration.

i left Canada one month after getting married and returned six weeks later, with no problem (but I was well prepared in case) everyones situation is different.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
James_Jarlson said:
How where you well prepared?

(Thanks very much!)
From what I remember.

I arrived at Ottawa airport (less hassle that Toronto), my wife was waiting outside immigration with her mobile phone on.
If you get moved to secondary screening immigration do call your spouse/partner to check your story.

I was carrying :-
Proof of my ability to support myself in Canada,
Marriage certificate,
Receipt for my medical (that was previously performed in Canada),
Partially completed (80%) PR application forms, associated documents for PR application
Copy of the lease agreement in Canada,
Proof of ties to the UK,
Details of my business in the UK,
and as I had already been through secondary screening before, I was much calmer than the first time :)

Like I said, well prepared.

KSCM

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does anyone know what is required to sponsor a spouse.. eg how much money I need to have?

Kulilit

Aug 17, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2010
File Transfer...
10-01-2011
Passport Req..
02-02-2011
KSCM said:
Does anyone know what is required to sponsor a spouse.. eg how much money I need to have?
Hi,

Below is the site for informations on how to sponsor your Spouse

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

There is no specific amount of income in order for you to sponsor your Spouse they only need to see that you will be able to give your spouse supports when they are already here. So you still need to submit Sponsorship Evaluation... Hope that helps... ;)

toxicair

Star Member
Dec 2, 2010
Hi everyone!

So glad I found this forum! I am at the moment in desperate need of advice and help. Here is my story and my situation in a nutshell. I can only hope that you will take the time and respond with ANY advice..I will try keeping it short but please be patient with me if it's long...

Okay, I am from South Africa, Cape Town. Met my fiance online early last year. Started dating in October last year. Got engaged in June (when I landed at the airport). I had to leave in July and its been the hardest time of my life. I applied for another single entry visa to visit my fiance again in Manitoba by presenting the reason "visiting my friend". I will be leaving next week on the 9th. The plan was for me to go and then we get married and do spousal sponsorship from inside (my friend said hers took 8 months). Which all sounded well and everything but now of course the bloody last few days, something pops up.

The reason I am asking all this now is because I only got my passport yesterday and then I saw the expiration date is January 23rd. I had to present a itinerary saying that the 23rd was my return date. I did not purchase that ticket though because they do advise you to wait until you got your visa. So then after waiting from the 23rd November until today, that ticket's price went up, drastically. So I ended up buying a different ticket which also leaves the 9th December but returns the 4th of February because I couldn't find something reasonably priced returning that same day. Anyway, It wasn't really a point of concern because the plan was for me to not return here (I can't anyway due to family problems).

Last time I got my visa it said the expiration date was 6 months later. So I was concerned. I did however come across a topic "How long I am allowed to stay in Canada? (very confused) "
that states that you can still stay 6 months unless the officer at point of entry specifically instructs you on your length of stay. So now I'm hoping the officer in Amsterdam doesn't say anything coz if he did that would totally break me. Thing is, if I am not allowed to stay there for 6 months legally, I will have to apply to extend my stay for reasons being that we got married and have a PR application in process OR just simply "to explore relationship" (I read that this worked for a lot of cases). But here is where the issue comes in. Is there a time I have to wait before we can get married in Manitoba? I read that in other provinces you have to wait like 20 days or so. I cant find any info on this though. We're both in our early 20's and I just left university to be with him.

*Which would you suggest we do if it comes down to me not being able to stay longer than the 23rd of January?..
*Also what is your knowledge regarding the issue of the 6 month stay? I asked a few people and read that the time validation on your visa is but only the time you are allowed to stay but you can still stay for 6 months unless the officers state otherwise where you enter Canada..

So now all these scenarios pop up in my head and I don't know what to think of it. My time is limited because what I am doing right now is preparing for the worst which in this case is me only being able to stay there from the 9th till the 23rd January. So in that short period of time we have to get married, get a marriage license, apply for extension of my TRV (I am aware that it needs to happen at least 30 days prior to the expiration date). I am aware that if I apply for extension and my visa then expires I will be under "implied status" until they let me know of their decision. If they approve everything will be perfect. If not, omg I don't even know.. But I am aware that I will be taking a chance to just stay then and miss my flight back but I honestly have no intention on coming back and I will have no where to stay either..

After typing this I just realized how stressed out I am.. I don't know what to do right now. I need some guidance and I have no one to turn to. I know PR application will cost about $1040 and an extension will be $75.

*If they deny my extension then I know there's something like "restoration of status" that I could apply for too right?
*Should the extension application be sent with the PR?
*Also I heard that one can also send a work permit application? do you need to have a job offer for that?

Sorry for all my questions. Please though, if you can assist me with ANY advice I will really appreciate it so much! If there is anything that I need to know or anything you would like to help me with, Please tell me. I know some of you are in the same situation more or less and I know you're tired of the skype calls all day long and the emails and pictures and so.. We all want to be with the one we love the most, but when you can, please reply to me. I will sit here and wait.

Oct 22, 2010
Leon said:
Avoiding potential problems with your application

The most common reason for people to be called for an interview is that the visa officer has doubts about the relationship being genuine. It is up to you to send immigration some quality data, emails, chat logs, phone records, photos, letters and other material to prove to them that your relationship is the real thing. Other reasons you might have problems with is eligibility of the sponsor. The sponsor can not be on social assistance, can not be bankrupt and can not have a record of violent crimes or crimes against family members. If that is the case, better talk to a lawyer and get that cleared up before attempting to apply.
Well....from my experience as counsel the documentary evidence is always secondary to the story of the relationship. Email and screen prints from some IM client will not carry a case when it has the appearance of a MOC. You better understand what you are submitting and how the relationship will be evaluated. In some cases it is better to wait until the relationship generates more proof for it's genuineness than to submit a file that will likely have to go through the IAD.

jaweda

Star Member
May 14, 2010
immigration consultant said:
Well....from my experience as counsel the documentary evidence is always secondary to the story of the relationship. Email and screen prints from some IM client will not carry a case when it has the appearance of a MOC. You better understand what you are submitting and how the relationship will be evaluated. In some cases it is better to wait until the relationship generates more proof for it's genuineness than to submit a file that will likely have to go through the IAD.
Hey maybe you can be of help for me. Iam currently sponsoring my wife from afghanistan and process started in nov 2009 so its been 1 year. My wife already did her remedical and fill out some updated forms and police certificate update in the end of august 2010. Can you please tell me why it s taking 4 months after remedical because I heard that they only issue remedical after background check and what do you advise i do in her case. thanks