+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Hi everyone. Does CIC accepts Medical Exam done from TRV application, for Spousal PR applications?
I know cic website explicitly says that UPFRONT MEDICALS are not accepted for Spousal PR. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-permanent-residents.html#when

Hence wondering, if anyone in this thread used a Medical Exam report from a different Visa application --->
for Spousal PR application? ........ And was it accepted...rejected?

Is it an entirely different exam for female Spousal PR applicants Vs. female TRV applicants?
Since no one else has answered thus far, I'll venture a guess, fwiw. I would think you cannot recycle the TRV exam. I am reinforced in that view by the non-acceptance of upfront medicals, and re-using the TRV exam would be a form of upfront medical.

Also, from what I have seen, medical exams for TRV are not usually required. I take it we are talking about your wife here. I suspect that any exam for TRV may be less detailed. My wife did hers in the Philippines back in March, after receiving email from the IRCC telling her it was time to have the exam. We paid about P13,500 (about CAD335) for the exam. If your wife got one for TRV before, was the cost in that range?

The IRCC protocol for PR medical exams is to wait until the IRCC instructs you to go and get it done. I have not heard of any exception to following that path where one has had a medical exam for a TRV. Another issue is, I suppose, when was the TRV exam done? Unless very recent, that, in itself, would likely be a bar to re-use.

Anyway, as I say, all of this is mere conjecture and guesswork on my part and maybe another member will come along with something more authoritative.

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Since no one else has answered thus far, I'll venture a guess, fwiw. I would think you cannot recycle the TRV exam. I am reinforced in that view by the non-acceptance of upfront medicals, and re-using the TRV exam would be a form of upfront medical.

Also, from what I have seen, medical exams for TRV are not usually required. I take it we are talking about your wife here. I suspect that any exam for TRV may be less detailed. My wife did hers in the Philippines back in March, after receiving email from the IRCC telling her it was time to have the exam. We paid about P13,500 (about CAD335) for the exam. If your wife got one for TRV before, was the cost in that range?

The IRCC protocol for PR medical exams is to wait until the IRCC instructs you to go and get it done. I have not heard of any exception to following that path where one has had a medical exam for a TRV. Another issue is, I suppose, when was the TRV exam done? Unless very recent, that, in itself, would likely be a bar to re-use.

Anyway, as I say, all of this is mere conjecture and guesswork on my part and maybe another member will come along with something more authoritative.
Good guess work.
Firstly - We cannot use "Cost of IME" from Philippines Vs. some other country, to check if the exams are the same. Cuz a test in Canada will cost different than a test in India or Middle East. Different prices, different salaries, different expenses. Can't be the same!

However, i have already inquired - and the IME cost, at the same test center, for TRV and PR applications is the same.

But i hope if someone who has actually gone through the hoops, been there done that.....would share their 2cents, that would be really helpful. Since the message is burried let me copy it again here:

Hence wondering, if anyone in this thread used a Medical Exam report from a different Visa application --->
for Spousal PR application? ........ And was it accepted...rejected?

Is it an entirely different exam for female Spousal PR applicants Vs. female TRV applicants?

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spousal-sponsorship.46995/post-10493345

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Good guess work.
Firstly - We cannot use "Cost of IME" from Philippines Vs. some other country, to check if the exams are the same. Cuz a test in Canada will cost different than a test in India or Middle East. Different prices, different salaries, different expenses. Can't be the same!
Part of my guesswork went like this: Yes, costs vary from country to country, but I would think that one could gauge to some extent the depth of the exam by cost in local currency. As well, I would expect the cost to be somewhat coloured by the fact that Canada is involved.

The price we paid in the Philippines was very expensive by Philippine standards. Ordinarily, one could stay in a private room in a Philippine hospital for a week and receive treatment for a variety of conditions for $335. An office visit to a doctor usually costs about $10. Many Filipinos do not earn $10/day. So, if that $335 exam was really worth that in local currency, then I would expect the same exam to cost about $3,300 in Canada and about USD4,000 in the US. But I doubt those prices are charged in those countries. In fact, I'll go so far as to venture that if the exam is done in Canada, the cost will be in the range of $335, despite Canadian prices, wages, etc., being of a different order.

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Part of my guesswork went like this: Yes, costs vary from country to country, but I would think that one could gauge to some extent the depth of the exam by cost in local currency. As well, I would expect the cost to be somewhat coloured by the fact that Canada is involved.

The price we paid in the Philippines was very expensive by Philippine standards. Ordinarily, one could stay in a private room in a Philippine hospital for a week and receive treatment for a variety of conditions for $335. An office visit to a doctor usually costs about $10. Many Filipinos do not earn $10/day. So, if that $335 exam was really worth that in local currency, then I would expect the same exam to cost about $3,300 in Canada and about USD4,000 in the US. But I doubt those prices are charged in those countries. In fact, I'll go so far as to venture that if the exam is done in Canada, the cost will be in the range of $335, despite Canadian prices, wages, etc., being of a different order.
Unfortunately - its NEVER in the same range!

Fortunately most websites that are shown in panel of physicians link on CIC, has a website, that posts FEES in local currency.
Phillipines is $335cad, South Korea is $205cad, South africa $220cad & Saudi Arabia $357cad

https://slec.ph/registration/ca/visa-applicant.php?s=medical-fees#medical-fees
https://www.paik.ac.kr/haeundae_eng/user/contents/view.do?menuNo=600020
https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=3200&From=ZAR&To=CAD
https://ghannamclinics.com/canada-immigration/

The fees differ ONLY on the basis of AGE - not visa types.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Unfortunately - its NEVER in the same range!

Fortunately most websites that are shown in panel of physicians link on CIC, has a website, that posts FEES in local currency.
Phillipines is $335cad, South Korea is $205cad, South africa $220cad & Saudi Arabia $357cad

https://slec.ph/registration/ca/visa-applicant.php?s=medical-fees#medical-fees
https://www.paik.ac.kr/haeundae_eng/user/contents/view.do?menuNo=600020
https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=3200&From=ZAR&To=CAD
https://ghannamclinics.com/canada-immigration/

The fees differ ONLY on the basis of AGE - not visa types.
Sorry, I should have kept my guesswork to myself.

Ashan Perera

Star Member
Aug 2, 2016
She can apply for a TRV, yes. There is no way to 'convert' it to inland, but she can advise of change of address and land virtually. Under new announced procedures it's possible may be eligible for work permit, but not much clarity on how that works.

To become an inland app she'd have to withdraw and reapply. Since the only significant difference is the work permit (possibility), probably not worth it. YMMV.

Ritual reminder that being here on a trv does not incorporate health insurance.

- Current processing times for outland applications is 16 months. The pre-arrival is received quite early in the process.
- Yes, you can apply for a TRV for your spouse to visit Canada.
- No, the outland application cannot be converted to an inland application. However your spouse can certainly be in Canada while the application is processed outland.

You have got Pre-Arrival, which means you may have already got AOR and Sponsorship approval. Sometimes, pre-arrival comes early in the process. But those are 2 critical pieces that help when you apply for TRV. So if you got those - go ahead apply for TRV. I guess you must have done Biometrics and Medicals already. So its going to be a quicker process for you.

Hi All,

Thank you very much for quick responses, appreciate it. My timeline is as follows,

Applied in Nov 2022
AOR, BIO, Medical & Eligibility in Feb 2023
Pre-arrival in April 2023

As per tracker, background check is in-progress and my case is with OTTAWA VO.

According to current processing time trends, I think it is better if I apply for a TRV. But I have to find more info about applying for a work permit without COPR.

Thank again !

Reactions: Charbk

mahbubeh

Star Member
Jun 3, 2010
Hello,

does anyone here have experience with providing biometrics for a person who is 80 years old?
PA is over 80 and he received BIL in Jul 2022 and went to VAC for his biometrics but they could not collect it because he was over 80. We sent this information to IRCC through webform multiple times and ask them for further instruction on what should we do. They never responded and again they sent a latter (in May) requesting biometrics to be sent. We again informed IRCC through web form that VAC can not collect biometrics from someone who is over 80. No response yet from them. We even contacted our MP but did not get anywhere. Application tracker shows medical and eligibility completed. that PA has received pre arrival email. The only thing not completed is the biometrics.

please help if you know how a person over 80 (outside Canada) can provide his biometrics.

thanks

Charbk

Star Member
Feb 11, 2023
Category........
FSW
Hello,

does anyone here have experience with providing biometrics for a person who is 80 years old?
PA is over 80 and he received BIL in Jul 2022 and went to VAC for his biometrics but they could not collect it because he was over 80. We sent this information to IRCC through webform multiple times and ask them for further instruction on what should we do. They never responded and again they sent a latter (in May) requesting biometrics to be sent. We again informed IRCC through web form that VAC can not collect biometrics from someone who is over 80. No response yet from them. We even contacted our MP but did not get anywhere. Application tracker shows medical and eligibility completed. that PA has received pre arrival email. The only thing not completed is the biometrics.

please help if you know how a person over 80 (outside Canada) can provide his biometrics.

thanks
Biometrics is collected for anyone between 14-79yrsold. You can even find that in the cic website. That being said did he turn 80 after the application was put in. You say over 80..I know but I’m just giving worst case scenario in case they are exactly 80 and may have turned during the process.
I’m wondering if it’s an automatically generated email reminder for the biometrics because it makes no sense

Last edited:

mahbubeh

Star Member
Jun 3, 2010
Biometrics is collected for anyone between 14-79yrsold. You can even find that in the cic website. That being said did he turn 80 after the application was put in. You say over 80..I know but I’m just giving worst case scenario in case they are exactly 80 and may have turned during the process.
I’m wondering if it’s an automatically generated email reminder for the biometrics because it makes no sense
Hi Charbk,
Thanks for the response. Yes, I am aware of the 14-79 years biometrics. He was few months short of 80 at the time of sending the application and turned 80 during the process. We did pay the fee for biometrics at the application time to avoid any delay.
The email is not automated email. It has attachment with a Biometric Instruction Letter with name and file number. So he did follow the instruction in the letter(same for everyone) and took required document and a copy of letter (required) to VAC. They even tried to take his biometrics but their system (which is actually IRCC system, did not allow them.

in the webforms we explained all the above, and asked if he is exempt or if there is other way/ place for him to provide biometrics. We did not get any meaningful response for 10 month. Then n May same letter with new cover letter date was sent. I think this means he is not exemp and should provide biometrics but how? This is the question that we don’t have answer to it and IRCC is not giving any answer or instruction about it.

The 30 day deadline for biometrics is close.

I was hoping May be someone in similar situation could share their experience.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023
There is no shortcuts but to follow the process. Make sure you complete all documents with enough proof and checklist, once you receive AOR you can apply for visitor Visa which will take 30 days and as per recent statements has high approval rate. Spouse visitor visa will also be getting owp after 7 June.
Could you please elaborate the spouse visitor visa thing? Also, how long does it take for someone to receive AOR in this case and at which stage in the timeline does it happen?

Shehzad kausar

Star Member
Nov 8, 2018
hellow to all, i just want to ask , is there any one whose spousal immigration case has been refused and have appealed through lawyer? as one of my acquaintances has this issue, he applied from pakistan, and got refused , he appealed the case, now waiting for hearing, so any any one going through this process, or has ever gone through appeal process, kindly reply me, thanks

Charbk

Star Member
Feb 11, 2023
Category........
FSW
Could you please elaborate the spouse visitor visa thing? Also, how long does it take for someone to receive AOR in this case and at which stage in the timeline does it happen?
AOR takes about 7-8 weeks and that’s the first stage. It means they have received and reviewed what you have sent and they have now begun processing