+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

gokul0989

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
you can send both as a single package. You can make table of content in the beginning with the serial order of the documents placed in a package.
Thank you very much. I have also submitted a TRV for my wife. So, I should write a letter explaining the dual intent correct along with the sponsorship application? Thank you

Diplomat07

Star Member
Feb 14, 2020
Thank you very much. I have also submitted a TRV for my wife. So, I should write a letter explaining the dual intent correct along with the sponsorship application? Thank you
In my opinion, you don't have to write a letter of dual intent. Both are separate applications and will be treated as such by IRCC. Just make sure, if there is any section on the form where it states that 'Have you ever applied to come to Canada?', just say yes there and explain that your TRV is in process etc. or whatever the status is. When you apply for spousal sponsorship, they will have all of your details for your TRV in their system as well.

gokul0989

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
In my opinion, you don't have to write a letter of dual intent. Both are separate applications and will be treated as such by IRCC. Just make sure, if there is any section on the form where it states that 'Have you ever applied to come to Canada?', just say yes there and explain that your TRV is in process etc. or whatever the status is. When you apply for spousal sponsorship, they will have all of your details for your TRV in their system as well.
Thank you very much for the information. And one last question. Will they send the biometric letter on the next day when our application package reaches IRCC office?.

mkhello

Mar 21, 2021
Hi, pls advise if I’m considered currently living with my spouse if I’m visiting her for 4-5 months each year, while I’m still a citizen and resident status in the official record? Thanks

mkhello

Mar 21, 2021
Hi, pls advise if I’m considered currently living with my spouse if I’m visiting her for 4-5 months each year, while I’m still a citizen and resident status in the official record? Thanks
If it happens I’m with her when we submit the application( assuming only ONE application together for sponsor and applicant) , is it considered CURRENTLY living together ? Or just considered as visiting her? Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't know proper official answer for this. Whatever you do, write a short letter of explanation about the arrangement.

Personally I'd take a strict "majority of the year" means you are not current living together full time.

But the other approach is defensible too.

Note, if you're a PR, you shouldn't apply from abroad.

Diplomat07

Star Member
Feb 14, 2020
Thank you very much for the information. And one last question. Will they send the biometric letter on the next day when our application package reaches IRCC office?.
It does not work that way. The timeline on the Biometric and Medical also depends upon the country of residence for Principal Applicant. Initially, you will get an Acknowledgment of receipt from IRCC (also called AOR). It will take around 2-8 weeks for this and sometimes it may take even longer because of COVID.
They will then start processing the eligibility of sponsor and once that is done, that is when they will send Biometric request request and/or medical request. This is with most of the cases. Again there is nothing certain pattern at which they will send Biometric.
I know you mentioned that you have applied for TRV as well. Did you get the biometric request for your TRV? Have you done Biometric in the past? If so, then they may carry the same for your PR application as well since the validity is for 10 years. I have seen that happening with other folks too.

gokul0989

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
It does not work that way. The timeline on the Biometric and Medical also depends upon the country of residence for Principal Applicant. Initially, you will get an Acknowledgment of receipt from IRCC (also called AOR). It will take around 2-8 weeks for this and sometimes it may take even longer because of COVID.
They will then start processing the eligibility of sponsor and once that is done, that is when they will send Biometric request request and/or medical request. This is with most of the cases. Again there is nothing certain pattern at which they will send Biometric.
I know you mentioned that you have applied for TRV as well. Did you get the biometric request for your TRV? Have you done Biometric in the past? If so, then they may carry the same for your PR application as well since the validity is for 10 years. I have seen that happening with other folks too.
Thank you for the detailed information. She has got the biometric letter but VFS is not accepting TRV biometrics in India hence it is still pending. Will submit the sponsorship application and then wait for IRCC to send the biometric letter.

Reactions: Diplomat07

mkhello

Mar 21, 2021
I don't know proper official answer for this. Whatever you do, write a short letter of explanation about the arrangement.

Personally I'd take a strict "majority of the year" means you are not current living together full time.

But the other approach is defensible too.

Note, if you're a PR, you shouldn't apply from abroad.
Thanks for your reply.
As in these days, it’s common for both partners to have their own career in different places. This is our case. I’m a citizen based in Canada while my partner based overseas. So I visit and live with my partner for a few months each year, while maintaining resident status. It’s really confusing for us to answer if currently living together or not.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for your reply.
As in these days, it’s common for both partners to have their own career in different places. This is our case. I’m a citizen based in Canada while my partner based overseas. So I visit and live with my partner for a few months each year, while maintaining resident status. It’s really confusing for us to answer if currently living together or not.
I understand, and I don't think it's that unusual or a problem generally but see below note about PR-sponsors. Just explain as briefly and factually as you can. [edit - just noticed you are a citizen - ignore that stuff for your purposes]

Personally I think it will make more sense to show that you are residing in Canada, and hence you do not live together full time, but that you spend 4-5 months a year together at her residence. The difference being that if you claim that you do live together full time, you are implying that you don't reside in Canada (even if resident in Canada in most other senses - note there is no single definition of residence in Canada, provinces and govt have different tests for different purposes). I think it's more clear to just say you live in Canada and visit your wife often.

It should not be a problem [as you are a citizen]. Note though that for PR-sponsors, you must be resident in Canada throughout the process and in-country when applying. The dept guidelines state "short trips" abroad are acceptable. They can cancel your app if they wish if you are abroad longer; no definition of what short trips means - held often to mean less than a month. It's unclear how actively they enforce this. But it would be in the interests of PR sponsors to limit trips abroad during the sponsorship as there is a risk they could cancel the app.

Repeat, for citizens, not an issue.

Reactions: mkhello

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
Hi,
Since July 2020, still no AOR (only a stupid XEP). I really don’t understand : either you tell me my file is complete (it doesn’t take that much time) or you tell me my file is incomplete. That’s inhuman to wait x months (more than 12 months sometimes) to see that your file is incomplete or there’s something missing. Time is priceless. Could they at least understand that ?

PS. Waiting for my GCMS notes. Let’s see why my agent -who apparently has no empathy- is so late.

esam99

Nov 4, 2020
Hi,
Since July 2020, still no AOR (only a stupid XEP). I really don’t understand : either you tell me my file is complete (it doesn’t take that much time) or you tell me my file is incomplete. That’s inhuman to wait x months (more than 12 months sometimes) to see that your file is incomplete or there’s something missing. Time is priceless. Could they at least understand that ?

PS. Waiting for my GCMS notes. Let’s see why my agent -who apparently has no empathy- is so late.
thats along time, u should call them and/or contact the MP

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
thats along time, u should call them and/or contact the MP
I called them more than 10 times, always the same speech : blabla coronavirus. When I told them how some of them received their AOR before me, they told me, yeah « that’s sad ».
My MP, because she’s from the same political party, seems to be useless. Blabla your file still in process.
I’m pretty sure the agent in charge of my file has an ideological problem with me, that’s why he wants to make my life miserable. I’m not wishing him the best. They know I’m jobless here in Canada because my app is Outland so I can’t have a work permit or even a study permit, and my wife needs me. I left everything behind me (career/houses/etc) for my wife.