+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

dcowboys

Star Member
Apr 17, 2019
Confused by the process any help is appreciated. Just did medical last week and now got an email saying file has been transferred to London office. The departmental processing standard for Family Class applications is 12 months. Due to COVID-19, we are experiencing processing delays. Are they serious I have to wait another 12 months if that on top of the 19 months its already been? This process is horrible,

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Confused by the process any help is appreciated. Just did medical last week and now got an email saying file has been transferred to London office. The departmental processing standard for Family Class applications is 12 months. Due to COVID-19, we are experiencing processing delays. Are they serious I have to wait another 12 months if that on top of the 19 months its already been? This process is horrible,
Was this original medical or re-medical?

At any rate, I think the 12 months referred to is just the original boilerplate language and referring to the whole process. And yes, they're already over it and haven't updated the language.

dcowboys

Star Member
Apr 17, 2019
Was this original medical or re-medical?

At any rate, I think the 12 months referred to is just the original boilerplate language and referring to the whole process. And yes, they're already over it and haven't updated the language.
Original medical was done last week Thursday on March 11 and was submitted on Tuesday by the office. Just disheartening seeing an email today saying 12 months. When I thought I was near the finish line.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Original medical was done last week Thursday on March 11 and was submitted on Tuesday by the office. Just disheartening seeing an email today saying 12 months. When I thought I was near the finish line.
No-one can tell you but if you give some more information (country, other steps you've passed) it would give some better idea.

But at this point - order gcms notes, contact your MP.

dcowboys

Star Member
Apr 17, 2019
No-one can tell you but if you give some more information (country, other steps you've passed) it would give some better idea.

But at this point - order gcms notes, contact your MP.
Appreciate the help. Saudi Arabia application with Pakistan passport. Cleared bio metrics, criminal background check and now medical. Originally was in Nova Scotia and now got email saying file transferred to London. Will have to look into ordering GCMS Notes. MP has been no help, just gave me generic info saying they are working on the application and any updates they will let me know.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Appreciate the help. Saudi Arabia application with Pakistan passport. Cleared bio metrics, criminal background check and now medical. Originally was in Nova Scotia and now got email saying file transferred to London. Will have to look into ordering GCMS Notes. MP has been no help, just gave me generic info saying they are working on the application and any updates they will let me know.
Could you give dates of each of these steps (and the other ones like AOR, sponsor approval, etc?

Your file was only transferred to London recently after being in Sydney since July or so 2019? It's very strange it did not leave Sydney in 2019, before covid.

For MP: basically accept that most of them are only going to do initial inquiry the first time you contact them. You may have to ask several times. Best to do with gcms notes so that you can state that clearly something has gone wrong/strange with this file, please look into it.

This may not work. Not all MPs try hard. For MPs, the squeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease, but the quiet ones never do.

dcowboys

Star Member
Apr 17, 2019
Could you give dates of each of these steps (and the other ones like AOR, sponsor approval, etc?

Your file was only transferred to London recently after being in Sydney since July or so 2019? It's very strange it did not leave Sydney in 2019, before covid.

For MP: basically accept that most of them are only going to do initial inquiry the first time you contact them. You may have to ask several times. Best to do with gcms notes so that you can state that clearly something has gone wrong/strange with this file, please look into it.

This may not work. Not all MPs try hard. For MPs, the squeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease, but the quiet ones never do.
My application has been the slowest I have seen. I did not get my AOR till Sept 2020.

These are so far the things done and dates.

Date Application received: Aug 6, 2019.
AOR: Sept 2, 2020
Police Certificate request: Sept 10, 2020 Received Sept 21, 2020
Biometrics Request: Sept 10, 2020 Received Sept 30, 2020
Medical Request: March 5, 2020 Received March 18, 2020

Today I get a letter saying the following.

We wish to inform you that your application for permanent residence in Canada has been received by the Family Reunification Unit at the IRCC Office in London, UK. The departmental processing standard for Family Class applications is 12 months.

Just upsetting hearing another 12 months.

MP has been a waste they get me no new info or able to do anything about it. I think my last option is getting GCMS notes.

frange

May 25, 2018
My application has been the slowest I have seen. I did not get my AOR till Sept 2020.

We wish to inform you that your application for permanent residence in Canada has been received by the Family Reunification Unit at the IRCC Office in London, UK. The departmental processing standard for Family Class applications is 12 months.

MP has been a waste they get me no new info or able to do anything about it. I think my last option is getting GCMS notes.
What kind of sponsorship was it? Spouse or common law partner? other relatives?

13 months to get AOR?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Ignore the 12 months, that's just boilerplate. Order your gcms notes. The weird thing is that it took more than twelve months for aor1 before covid, when most were taking perhaps 60-90 days.

Not saying your MP will be good or help, but you have to be persistent too. Most of their first interactions with sponsors/applicants are completely standard files with nothing except the applicant is impatient.

And no, yours is not the only file taking that long. They are saying that files from May 2019 are about 80% done. That may not make you feel any better but you're not being singled out.

Anjupatel@9594

Sep 29, 2019
i am inland applicant and received CoPR in march 2021.and i have already applied for PR card through mail to etibicoke office and it will take upto 4 months.i have one question. i am planning to getting married..so whats the procedure for that after copr? do i need to inform ircc about my marriage? i don't want to add my partner in my file. i don't know. do we have to do landing these days? i heard if we have completed landing process then we have to sponsor partner rather than adding in file? so can i get married now or i should wait for pr card then get married?
thank you

dcowboys

Star Member
Apr 17, 2019
Ignore the 12 months, that's just boilerplate. Order your gcms notes. The weird thing is that it took more than twelve months for aor1 before covid, when most were taking perhaps 60-90 days.

Not saying your MP will be good or help, but you have to be persistent too. Most of their first interactions with sponsors/applicants are completely standard files with nothing except the applicant is impatient.

And no, yours is not the only file taking that long. They are saying that files from May 2019 are about 80% done. That may not make you feel any better but you're not being singled out.
Yeah I noticed that also today when checking the site that they are working on May. I spoken to my MP twice so far and they rarely give me anything new beyond what I already know, when I ask if they can push or anything they just say this is all they can do.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yeah I noticed that also today when checking the site that they are working on May. I spoken to my MP twice so far and they rarely give me anything new beyond what I already know, when I ask if they can push or anything they just say this is all they can do.
Order your gcms notes.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
i am inland applicant and received CoPR in march 2021.and i have already applied for PR card through mail to etibicoke office and it will take upto 4 months.i have one question. i am planning to getting married..so whats the procedure for that after copr? do i need to inform ircc about my marriage? i don't want to add my partner in my file. i don't know. do we have to do landing these days? i heard if we have completed landing process then we have to sponsor partner rather than adding in file? so can i get married now or i should wait for pr card then get married?
thank you
I believe that since you're a PR already you can just get married, you don't need to inform them.

I would double check as I'm less familiar with inland. But it seems to me you have already 'landed.'

Are you marrying in Canada? Is the lucky person a PR or citizen already? Are you already living together?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
thank you
Wait, whom were you sponsored by?