+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Stephie@31

Aug 26, 2019

• Or ECAS (Electronic Client Application Status): https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/security.do?app=ecas&lang=en
    • ECAS updates are fewer and more general than what is transmitted via CG Key
    • My tip is to log in as the Sponsor to ECAS; this way you can see both Sponsor and PA application statuses. If logging in as the PA, you'll only see the PA status.
Thank you! That’s why I can’t see much on there.

Reactions: PrincessButtercup

RiderMo

Sep 22, 2020
Hello Friends, Recently my spouse came accross a situation regarding travelling to canada as an immediate family member as she was having visitor visa for canada. We changed her name on the passport according to the name on marriage certificate and the name on visa was her name before marriage but it was mentioned on the passport that the visa still remains valid. However, she faced issues at the airport for her boarding pass as air india told her that they cannot generate her boarding pass due to her name change in passport and travel visa even though she had all the documents as proof (Marriage certificate, PR card(spouse), birth certificate, IRCC temporary reference file number)
Can somebody provide an explanation to this and what should i do now as the processing times for her outland application (June) is very long.
Thanks, much apprecited
Looks like to be an internal rule from the airline, I would question them why it was refused. My wife went through the same situation with Visa still valid under her previous passport and name before marriage and she just had to show both passport and no issue boarding from Thailand. That was pre-covid time.

RiderMo

Sep 22, 2020
To everyone here living the same situation, I want to share our own experience/story/timeline

Met my love in 2013, she's from Thailand, I'm Canadian Citizen. We have been traveling back and forth since then. Getting her a Visitor Visa was a pain in the b**t but after the first refusal we understood that dealing with Canadian Visa officer must be done diligently and all paperwork done in a clerical way.
We married in 2017, I moved to Thailand for a short term work assignment and when everything was ready to wrap-up last year we started the PR process for my spouse.
Back then we had some positive requests from IRCC but we had to wait with patience to get these requests processed and have a change of status in eCAS. Nevertheless we had a wonderful gift of life meantime as my wife got pregnant which gave us some drive to continue working into that PR process.
That was pre Covid time....

Then bam!!! The COVID bomb exploded worldwide. As we were seeing this coming before in Asia, I asked my wife to prepare the renewal of her Visitor visa just in case. The process took surprisingly less than 2 weeks (from generating the request to visa on passport) and by then the Canadian government started requesting their citizens to return back as soon as they can while airports around the globe remain open. We were lucky enough to secure our return and we landed in May in Montreal, my wife by my side.
Without any CSQ delivered for my wife, no PR progress, including me not having any healthcare insurance because I stayed more than 6 months outside of Quebec, we had to pay in full for the birth of our beautiful daughter last July, roughly 20k$.

Now we are just waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and just doing what all you people are doing here; checking the status in MyCIC, checking the status in eCAS, looking for all the forums about the experience of other people, trying to find timeline from others to compare...
It's now nearly a year since this whole process began and I can only have empathy with you all reading your stories shared in this thread.

Here's our timeline :
Outland Sponsorship - Canada PR
Sponsorship application Received : October 21, 2019
AOR1 : December 21, 2019
Sponsorship Approved : December 23, 2019
Police Certificate Request : December 28, 2019
Biometric Request : January 9, 2020
Biometric Enrolment : January 20, 2020
Background Check In Progress : January 21, 2019
AOR2 : January 29, 2020 (Singapore VO)
Medical Request : July 16, 2020
Medical Pass Status : July 30, 2020

Outland Sponsorship - Quebec CSQ
CSQ AOR : Feb 10, 2020
CSQ Approved : July 22, 2020

Cheers

Last edited:

OmarionMommy

May 9, 2016
Application sent: Feb 20,2020
Email received: march 3rd, 2020 with file no.
Bio matrics request letter received: September 9th, 2020
Medical request received: September 18th,2020
Medical completed:September 19th

can someone tell what is next step now?

passport request?

thanks
Sadly my application was mailed Feb 20th 2020.
Sponsorship

1. We received your application to sponsor on February 24, 2020.
  2. We started processing your application on September 21, 2020.
Permanent Residence
  1. We received xxxxxx xxxxxx's application for permanent residence on February 24, 2020.
any update as to when you think i would receieve work permit or even request for medical or biometrics? any help will be truly appreciated.

Jun 18, 2019
Hi All, I am a PR holder and got married 2 years ago, due to some personal reasons I had to stay back in India. Also, we had a baby so she'll be the dependent.
My question is whether I have to be in Canada to Sponsor my spouse and kid? Or Can I apply from India so that we can travel together.
For the PR applicants, you have to be in Canada, if you were a Canadian citizen only then you could apply from India.

Neha255

May 22, 2018
Sadly my application was mailed Feb 20th 2020.
Sponsorship

1. We received your application to sponsor on February 24, 2020.
  2. We started processing your application on September 21, 2020.
Permanent Residence
  1. We received xxxxxx xxxxxx's application for permanent residence on February 24, 2020.
any update as to when you think i would receieve work permit or even request for medical or biometrics? any help will be truly appreciated.
as per my knowledge people are getting AOR and biomatrics together as my friend received that way so you should receive it anytime now

Reactions: OmarionMommy

Neha255

May 22, 2018
sponsor approval and file be transferred to the visa office for the applicant's processing.
got email today with sponsor approval letter and another email with letter stating my file moved to visa office.
Do you know next step is passport request? Medical exam completed yesterday and yet not updated on IRCC as it will take time.

rrss13

Mar 24, 2020
got email today with sponsor approval letter and another email with letter stating my file moved to visa office.
Do you know next step is passport request? Medical exam completed yesterday and yet not updated on IRCC as it will take time.
Where did they transfer your file to?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Then if I'm not mistaken one or two comments above may have misunderstood on basis that understood you were the applicant and not the sponsor.

As PR-sponsor you are expected to reside in Canada. Short visits abroad have generally been considered normal. I think it's fair to say that "visits" abroad have generally (historically) been interpreted to mean less than one month abroad, continuous, the shorter the better, 2-3 weeks perhaps 'normal'. This is from reports here.

If IRCC decides you are not residing in Canada, they can cancel the app, on basis you are not resident.

There have been conflicting reports/comments here - e.g. from call centre employees, social media "comments" - that it's "okay" to travel abroad for longer. These second-hand reports are not consistent and do not provide specific criteria.

Those statements from a call centre employee cannot be relied upon. They are not a written permission, and there is no way to get a written permission.

As far as I'm aware, there is no published guideline that says longer is okay, or what recourse might be, or circumstances (covid-related or otherwise) that might serve to "exempt" a PR-sponsor who leaves for longer periods.

So unfortunately - again, as far as I can tell - there is no way to give solid advice.

As far as notifying IRCC - again, no solid way to say. It might cause them to look at your file. It may give them enough info to (compassionately) decide to ignore the issue.

One warning: do not assume that because you have not notified them, that they cannot find out if they wish to, or that they will not receive this info automatically (I don't think anyone knows). Assume they have access to border crossing info, whether by plane or otherwise.

Note: I've summarised what seems to be experiences from others here, and publicly-available info about the rules for PR-sponsors. I've purposefully avoided giving recommendations.

Because as far as I can tell no-one knows (I'm open to corrections), and believe no-one can give you solid answers or advice on the main parts of your question.

Unfortunately that means it's up to you to decide and take the risk. Personally I don't think it's even possible to even guess how big the risk is.

Probably the only relatively clear and positive thing that can be said is that if your current application should be cancelled for this reason, it should not negatively affect re-applying to sponsor your spouse (when your the PR are resident in Canada). Obviously this would still mean more delays.
If the ESDC can access arrival /departure information regarding EI applicants ,one can safely assume that the IRCC has the same information
When individuals sign or do their declaration, it says on the form this information can be shared between government departments to enforce the law

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020

maxayma

May 11, 2020
"Canada is waiving biometrics requirements for permanent residence applicants who submitted biometrics in the last 10 years." If true this can be a good news for those who have provided biometrics for the last 10 years under any Visa or Immigration programs. Hope that would help expedite the processing time a little bit.

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/09/biometrics-no-longer-required-for-some-canadian-immigration-applicants-0915855.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2020-biometric-exemption.html

Last edited:
Reactions: DiiDii and armoured

Neha255

May 22, 2018
"Canada is waiving biometrics requirements for permanent residence applicants who submitted biometrics in the last 10 years." If true this can be a good news for those who have provided biometrics for the last 10 years under any Visa or Immigration programs. Hope that would help expedite the processing time a little bit.

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/09/biometrics-no-longer-required-for-some-canadian-immigration-applicants-0915855.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2020-biometric-exemption.html
I dont think its accurate for all cases. My husband had biomatrics done for his Canada visitor visa and it was valid until 2029 but we had received biomatrics collection letter still and had to get it done again. So you might want to confirm with them rather than guessing that they will waive it.