+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

tu

Dec 21, 2011
Guys, how do you think- is this a better proof of genuine relationships, if we both- me and my husband- are from the same country? Do they still look at our application suspicious?

Solstice22

Jan 25, 2012
C_Farah, your wife to be will get hopefully a full 6 month visit allowance into Canada, but the border officer must be 'satisfied' that she intends to return to the USA, there are many threads on the various immigration forums about concerns of this nature and the occasional difficulty folks have. When my 'boyfriend' at the time came up, he got 3 months visitation only, but no matter how much time you get, there is an application for an extension to visit Canada from non-visa countries such as the US. Check out the cic website to find the extension application, and it must be sent off approx one month before her visit time is due to end, preferably by snail mail as she will have 'implied consent' to be here while that application is out and awaiting the reply. The extension application can include the information about your upcoming wedding/or completed one:) We had sent a copy of the marriage license ie the pre-marriage paperwork required here in Alberta, along with a copy of the receipt of payment on the PR application- which you can pay in advance, and comments about our plans... see other threads and just be sure to apply in time. We got a full year extension. Having her cross back to the US just runs the risk of not having her allowed to cross the border back in if the border guard makes that decision, and making life complicated.

c_farah

Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-02-2013
AOR Received.
16-02-2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
09-09-2013
LANDED..........
07-10-2013
That's amazing info
thank you!

The last thing we want is for her to show up, then have to leave a few months later

or the opposite - we get the wedding done, then she goes back to the US

I will definitely search some more!

Dee_Dee123

Jan 19, 2012
Hi, I have a question regarding medical and police checks. We sent our application without medical or police checks because our lawyer said they would expire, and he would send them afterwards closer to the date. I now regret this but we just did what he said. How do we obtain a police certificate? My husband lived in Portugal for years, and has been here for 2 years on a work permit. Does he need police check for both Portugal and Canada? I saw somewhere that if living in Canada they will request if needed. Is this correct?

As for the medical results, lawyer said he wasn't sure if my husband would need it because he did tests to get his work permit. Does anyone know if this is true, even though they expire in 6 months.?

I'm so confused. yikes!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dee_Dee123 said:
Hi, I have a question regarding medical and police checks. We sent our application without medical or police checks because our lawyer said they would expire, and he would send them afterwards closer to the date. I now regret this but we just did what he said. How do we obtain a police certificate? My husband lived in Portugal for years, and has been here for 2 years on a work permit. Does he need police check for both Portugal and Canada? I saw somewhere that if living in Canada they will request if needed. Is this correct?

As for the medical results, lawyer said he wasn't sure if my husband would need it because he did tests to get his work permit. Does anyone know if this is true, even though they expire in 6 months.?

I'm so confused. yikes!
He needs a police certificate from everywhere he has lived for at least six months since the age of 18 - except for Canada. So it sounds like this is only Portugal in your husband's case. Information on how to obtain a police certificate is here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp

There was a good discussion here earlier this week about re-using medicals. You can find that thread here:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/medical-report-reusage-possible-t94178.0.html

You should seriously ask your lawyer for a refund for not knowing the basics. He clearly has no idea what he's doing if he told you not to submit police certificates and proof of medical with the application. Idiots like this should be reported (IMHO).

Dee_Dee123

Jan 19, 2012
Thanks! So even though he's lived here for 2 years he doesn't need a police certificate from here? I think I saw posts of people who studied here and asked if they needed a police certificate from Canada as well and some people answered yes. It's pretty confusing. But thanks for the reply. I am not sure why my lawyer didn't want to send it.. he said they would ask him for it afterwards. This sucks, I need to get this done quickly since our application started processing June 10, 2011.

figgy

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2012
AOR Received.
24-09-2012
File Transfer...
24-09-2012
Med's Done....
23-06-2012
Passport Req..
10-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2013
LANDED..........
12-01-2013
my boyfriend is also living in canada and does not need a police check from here. I called the CIC to check and they said they only need it from the countries he lived in before..... I think because he is here they can look him up. so.... nope, they don't need a canadian police check

Dee_Dee123

Jan 19, 2012
figgy said:
my boyfriend is also living in canada and does not need a police check from here. I called the CIC to check and they said they only need it from the countries he lived in before..... I think because he is here they can look him up. so.... nope, they don't need a canadian police check
Awesome! thanks so much!

Priya_Dutta

Jan 27, 2012
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, i have some queries related to my PR application, kindly reply

As I'm from Punjab, my hubby sponsored me in October'11. I have submitted my PCC (issued by The Commisioner of Police, Ludhiana) along with my application.
My query is that, i was living at a different address (but in same city) at the time when i was 18. When i was 21 we moved to our new house (in same city).
Now i'm worried that the PCC which i submitted with my application is for the time since i was 21 years old (not since 18 years of my age).
I have submitted my PP to CHC- New Delhi in last week, will they ask me for another PCC (from old address, for 3 years i.e from 18 to 21)?
Kindly give ur views, as i'm very tensed.
Again i'm mentioning that my both addressess are in the same city.

Piya.

nicolemarie

Apr 1, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not sure how your police certificates were done but I know when I got mine that they did it via fingerprints. If they did it that way I don't think it matters about all your addresses as long as you wrote them all in on the PR application because they'll be searching for your fingerprints in the police records, e.g. if you've been arrested.

mmg777

Star Member
May 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2011
File Transfer...
01-11-2012
Passport Req..
01-26-2012 / 2-29-2012 passport submitted
Hello everyone! I have a question regarding my hubby's NBI clearance been expired last Nov.2011 and he's currently working in Saudi Arabia we used VO Manila for his application. The problem is my hubby want to get a new NBI clearance in case CEM ask for a new clearance again we just want to get things ready . But they told himPhil Embassy in SAudi Arabia don't process NBI and if he want to get a new NBI he should go back to Phils. Anybody here process NBI in KSA .? Please help!

Canuck_28

Oct 5, 2011
Currently working on our application documents and had a few questions come up. Thought I would reach out to you all and see if you had any insight:

IMM 5490
Question 8 - Do you have family member or other relatives living in Canada?

Because we are currently married, do my family members living in Canada count as her relatives?

Medical and Police Background Check

Do these documents have to be included in your application or can they be sent at a later date after Application to Sponsor has been approved and we've received our Identification Number?

Krrrsty

Aug 31, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2010
LANDED..........
17-08-2011
Hi Everyone and thanks for all your help and support while I was battling for my PR!!
I *finally* got my PR in August which is a huge relief.. I just have a question - can I sue CIC?
I was having a conversation with a fellow PR who was horrified that CIC had forced me to leave my job and basically kept me captive with no work permit, no benefits and no support for 9 months while they finished my paperwork.. She thought I might have a case and I'm wondering if she's right!
I was gainfully employed, my employer wrote a letter confirming that they needed me and intended to hire me back as soon as I had papers, I had my local MP involved and fighting to expedite my application and still, I've ended up in a ton of debt because I was forced into unemployment and what they said would take 3 months ended up taking 9. I went all the way through to appeal to try and get EI but was denied that too, regardless of the fact that I paid into it for the previous 5 years.
My employer failed to get a positive LMO and I had applied for spousal sponsorship without an open work permit application because CIC told me I couldn't have two work permit applications at once. So, of course, when the LMO came back negative I was hooped. Considering that I had four years on a successful LMO it didn't occur to me that it would come back negative.
Anyway, I'm all legal now and I'm not complaining but I did end up losing my job - they couldn't hold the position open any longer. I have a new job but I'm struggling to catch up after I drained all my finances to get through last year.
The system didn't work efficiently for me and I feel like I have grounds for some kind of compensation - what do you think??

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Canuck_28 said:
Currently working on our application documents and had a few questions come up. Thought I would reach out to you all and see if you had any insight:

IMM 5490
Question 8 - Do you have family member or other relatives living in Canada?

Because we are currently married, do my family members living in Canada count as her relatives?

Medical and Police Background Check

Do these documents have to be included in your application or can they be sent at a later date after Application to Sponsor has been approved and we've received our Identification Number?
1. No.

2. Must be submitted WITH application.