+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Annjo89

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
Hello,

My boyfriend and I are going to apply for Sponsorship Visa - Family Class outland.
I just want to know if I can be in Canada if we apply outside of Canada?

I have a work visa now but expires in May 2017 and I think we will send in the application in December.

And also, how picky are the visa office if you just lived together for 10 months?
I lived with my boyfriend in his apartment before we moved in together but wasn't on the lease together so hard to prove.

Cheers!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
xtreemboarder said:
In filing out IMM1344E there is a question that states "Are you a Canadian citizen living exclusively outside Canada?" Seems to me that I should put yes
Yes, you live outside of Canada.

PandaChan said:
Oh wow, was not aware it could take that long. Would we be able to change the mailing address to have it mailed to my address here in Canada so my husband could move here and wait for it with me?
Not really a good idea to try to change your address after Decision Made. Generally, it only takes a few weeks to receive the COPR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Annjo89 said:
I just want to know if I can be in Canada if we apply outside of Canada?

I have a work visa now but expires in May 2017 and I think we will send in the application in December.

And also, how picky are the visa office if you just lived together for 10 months?
I lived with my boyfriend in his apartment before we moved in together but wasn't on the lease together so hard to prove.
Yes, you can apply outland while here in Canada.

Picky? If you apply even one single day before you are actually common-law, your app will be refused. Common-law is a legal status that requires you to live together continuously for at least one year. If you have no proof from blthe previous cohabitation, you need to wait until you have at least one year of proof.

Annjo89

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Yes, you can apply outland while here in Canada.

Picky? If you apply even one single day before you are actually common-law, your app will be refused. Common-law is a legal status that requires you to live together continuously for at least one year. If you have no proof from blthe previous cohabitation, you need to wait until you have at least one year of proof.
Thanks!
When we apply outland while I am here in Canada, should I put my address I have in my country or the one here in Canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Annjo89 said:
Thanks!
When we apply outland while I am here in Canada, should I put my address I have in my country or the one here in Canada?
You can use your Canadian address.

jrseee

Star Member
Jan 11, 2010
Hello every1:
Just wondering what is the current processing time for in-land spousal sponsorship? The website says 26 month but
a friend of mine got approved in 6 months, from initial application to PR visa. Has any of you been in similar luck or was it just a one-off case?
It is about my wife, who will finish her masters by this year and has a valid Canadian visa until Nov next year. Seeing the official processing time, I'm holding off her PR application to file through express entry once she graduates with her masters but still debating whether I should just file sponsorship application. I have Canadian citizenship.

Thanks for any suggestions and sharing your processing times, if applicable! :) :)

criveros

Star Member
Sep 27, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2017
I (29/male/Canadian Citizen) met my girlfriend (20/fem/Turkish on a study permit) in November 2015, we have been living together in Toronto since April 2016 for the most part.

We got married on Oct 15, 2016 in Toronto and I would like to sponsor her.

I have looked around the forum, read a lot of threads and still, I have lots of questions. I would greatly appreciate your help.

Do we need to wait for the marriage certificate to submit our sponsorship application? How long will that take from the day of marriage?

Do we request her police record from within Canada?

Will we apply for sponsorship, permanent residence and work permit at the same time?

The processing times say it will take 26 months. Does that mean she will get her permanent residence in 26 months? I was told by an immigration lawyer that it would take about a year.

During the process must we live together the whole time? Can I work in the states while she stays studying here?

What are the main milestones during the process?

I really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Lhadysherie_06

Jan 6, 2016
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2015
AOR Received.
02-11-2015
File Transfer...
07-01-2016
Med's Request
upfront:
Med's Done....
13-10-2016
Interview........
hoping for none
Passport Req..
Next in line
VISA ISSUED...
On process
LANDED..........
Claiming it Very Soon
QUESTION: my medical already expired can i do the remedical even without the request? or should i wait for their email for remedical? thanks for the answer.

SL_chica

Star Member
Oct 13, 2016
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Cololmbo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
xx-08-2015
Doc's Request.
RE-PCC xx-10-2016
AOR Received.
xx-08-2015
File Transfer...
xx-09-2015
Med's Request
RE-MED xx-10-2016
Med's Done....
xx-07-2015 | xx-10-2016
Interview........
xx-10-2016
Passport Req..
xx-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
xx-11-2016
LANDED..........
xx-11-2016
prvc said:
Hi. I just want to ask how should I answer the question

"Have you visited your sponsor during the period of your relationship?"

Should I answer 'yes' because I have made several visits to him while we were both in our home country? We live in the same province.

Should I answer 'no' because I have not visited him yet in Canada?

Thanks for the help.
Answer truthfully.
If you visited him after you started the relationship whether it was in your home country or anywhere else; the answer should be yes. It shows how you are a couple by visiting each other.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Lhadysherie_06 said:
QUESTION: my medical already expired can i do the remedical even without the request? or should i wait for their email for remedical? thanks for the answer.
Wait. There is always the possibility that they will extend your current medical instead of requesting a new one.

xtreemboarder

Jul 2, 2015
Hey guys,

What documents do you guys recommend I get translated & notarized instead of doing it ourselves. Here are the documents that I will be submitting that are not in English:

1. Tourist Visa Extension and supporting documents for myself (the sponsor)
2. Military Record for my partner (applicant)
3. Various receipts for enrollment in courses (applicant)
4. Apartment Lease (this one is a no brainer)
5. Utillity Bills for Apartment (many of these... electricity, water, property taxes, etc.)
6. Various receipts for household purchases (many of these as well)
7. Shared bank account & credit card statements
8. Military service completion certificate (applicant)
9. Birth certificate (applicant)
10. Military service card (applicant)
11. Phone records

We started translating the receipts because it seems that is what people are doing. I'm kind of on the fence about some of the other things like property tax bills, utility bills, military documents, etc. Any advice?

Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
xtreemboarder said:
What documents do you guys recommend I get translated & notarized instead of doing it ourselves.

1. Tourist Visa Extension
2. Military Record for my partner (applicant)
8. Military service completion certificate (applicant)
9. Birth certificate (applicant)
10. Military service card (applicant)
Hi

The basic rule of thumb is that required official documents need to be formally translated. Everything else can be translated by yourselves. I don't know what sponsor supporting documents you are referring to, so I can't say what needs to be formally translated or not. The lease is up to you; it doesn't need to be formally translated.

For the miltary documents, I've left it all on your list because I am not familiar with the requirements. Look at your checklist; if it's specifically requested by IRCC, have it formally translated. If you are submitting something in addition to the required documents, you can do it yourself.

sadcanadianpr

Star Member
Feb 10, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7th July 2016
AOR Received.
23rd August 2016
File Transfer...
31st August 2016
Med's Request
22nd February 2017
Med's Done....
7th March 2017
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
Still Waiting
jrseee said:
Hello every1:
Just wondering what is the current processing time for in-land spousal sponsorship? The website says 26 month but
a friend of mine got approved in 6 months, from initial application to PR visa. Has any of you been in similar luck or was it just a one-off case?
It is about my wife, who will finish her masters by this year and has a valid Canadian visa until Nov next year. Seeing the official processing time, I'm holding off her PR application to file through express entry once she graduates with her masters but still debating whether I should just file sponsorship application. I have Canadian citizenship.

Thanks for any suggestions and sharing your processing times, if applicable! :) :)
Hey buddy..
First do a analysis of all the points you can get in order to qualify for an express entry. If the points are good enough wait.
If you think her points won't be good enough you can apply her sponsorship right away. You said she has Valid VISA until next Nov. Once you apply Sponsorship and receive AOR, you would be eligible for applying Work Permit for her based upon the filed PR. So you guys are good to stay together even if it takes longed time to process.

xtreemboarder

Jul 2, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

The basic rule of thumb is that required official documents need to be formally translated. Everything else can be translated by yourselves. I don't know what sponsor supporting documents you are referring to, so I can't say what needs to be formally translated or not. The lease is up to you; it doesn't need to be formally translated.

For the miltary documents, I've left it all on your list because I am not familiar with the requirements. Look at your checklist; if it's specifically requested by IRCC, have it formally translated. If you are submitting something in addition to the required documents, you can do it yourself.
Hey Canuck,

Thanks for your help. I'm still a little unsure of what is meant by "official documents". Following the guide for Israel (Guide 3911) it says "If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized translation with a copy of the originals. These must be done by an official translator. You cannot translate your own documents."

Later down in the checklist where it specifies everything the Applicant needs to submit as supporting documentation (we are applying as common law) is section 5 - Proof of Relationship to Sponsor and includes things like telephone bills, and other various proof that we have cohabited the same residence. My proof of these things comes in the form of many documents such as phone bills, utility bills, property tax statements, bank statements, etc. If I had to translate and notarize every document it would be very time consuming and I'm not even sure it's necessary.

Can you shed some light on what would qualify as an official document?

Thank you.

EDIT: Also, it seems that the police in Israel release the police certificates to the Canadian Embassy directly. Does anyone know if I should worry about translating it? It doesn't mention anything on CIC website.

jrseee

Star Member
Jan 11, 2010
Thanks sadcanadianpr for your reply.

Actually, she would be applying through PNP nomination (as a post-grad student), so points won't be a problem for her express entry application. However, the problem is I am also finishing my studies and plan to find a job in the US. So just trying to figure out which would be faster, but it's difficult to tell as I saw some people got their spousal applications approved in 6-8 months.

I'm leaning toward spousal sponsorship at this point.

sadcanadianpr said:
Hey buddy..
First do a analysis of all the points you can get in order to qualify for an express entry. If the points are good enough wait.
If you think her points won't be good enough you can apply her sponsorship right away. You said she has Valid VISA until next Nov. Once you apply Sponsorship and receive AOR, you would be eligible for applying Work Permit for her based upon the filed PR. So you guys are good to stay together even if it takes longed time to process.