26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
spadafore.t said:

• Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful.

I do have some outstanding questions based on the statement you provided:

• What exactly does visa-exempt country mean? I know she didn’t need a visitor’s visa to come and visit me for the month that she was here because perhaps Italy was a visa-exempt country (all she needed was an Electronic Travel Authority on her passport), but I read on a government website that starting in the spring of 2016 (March or April), that a new law will take into effect that all travel from any(?) Country will no longer be visa exempt; therefore, no more visa exemptions. Is this true? Or have I misunderstood something regarding this?
    • What entails a visa extension? I have read that if the government suspects a tie to Canada (a loved one, or a future spouse), that it may deny the visa extension with the fear that the applicant does not have the desire/need to leave the country, and become an illegal immigrant or a burden to its economy. I have read that in order to apply for a visitor’s visa, you must/it is recommended that you provide proof that you have a round-trip ticket. Indicating that you have a one-way ticket may raise suspicion as to whether the applicant intends to leave the country or not.
    • When is it an appropriate time to apply for an extension? And if asked for the reason of the extension, would it be counter-productive to indicate that she is spending time with her boyfriend/fiancé etc. What information should be provided to avoid any issues?
Italy will continue to be visa-exempt, which means that you will not need to apply for a visa. You will, however, need an ETA.

You can apply online to extend your status. CIC suggests that you do that a month before your status expires, but in reality, you could do it the day before. You then have implied status until a decision is made. Many couples have done this and remained in Canada without any issues. An extension is different from a visa application. It is a valid reason to state that you are extending your stay to become common-law so that you can sponsor your partner.

I would also recommend that you check out the IEC program for the working holiday visa. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp?country=it&cat=wh

jrseee

Star Member
Jan 11, 2010
Hi folks:
I talked to one of the CIC agents today and he confirmed me that my wife can have OWP, in addition to her study permit, both at the same time. He specifically confirmed me that it is allowed to have multiple status at the same time. Good thing, but I was wondering whether any of you went through this route. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks agian.

jrseee

Aquakitty said:
You can only have one or the other (study permit or OWP). If she obtains an OWP, it will void the study permit.

She doesn't need another PCC if she has not lived in that country since she obtained it.

If she has a study permit already, applying outland would probably be a much smarter way to go, since status is not an issue. She can finish her studies while she waits for PR. They might just send her app to Ottawa since she is studying in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
jrseee said:
Hi folks:
I talked to one of the CIC agents today and he confirmed me that my wife can have OWP, in addition to her study permit, both at the same time. He specifically confirmed me that it is allowed to have multiple status at the same time. Good thing, but I was wondering whether any of you went through this route. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks agian.

jrseee
FYI - careful with the help desk. They give out horribly wrong information all of the time. Don't rely on anything they say - apart from answers to the most basic questions.

jrseee

Star Member
Jan 11, 2010
Thanks. I'm skeptical too. BTW, what's is your opinion on this?

scylla said:
FYI - careful with the help desk. They give out horribly wrong information all of the time. Don't rely on anything they say - apart from answers to the most basic questions.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
jrseee said:
Hi folks:

jrseee
You aren't supposed to work full time while holding a study permit (except for breaks), and you have to maintain full-time status at your school, so I don't see how this is possible. You're already allowed to work full-time during breaks and part time during school so what good is the OWP? It wouldn't make sense to allow both. You want to work full-time while going to school full-time?

The times people are maintaining both isn't for this pilot program OWP, it's usually for IEC or PGWP.

tacitus77

Star Member
Oct 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2016
AOR Received.
A0R1 07-06-2016 A0R2 26-07-2016
File Transfer...
20-07-2016 DM 04-02-2017
Med's Request
20-12-2016
Med's Done....
15-10-2015 remed 21-12-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
16-02-2017
LANDED..........
Landed 01-03-2017 PR Card 14-04-17
So, i'm about to send our outland app and my representative said the 17 months spousal sponsorship time is accurate. Apparently all VO offices are now 17 months.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tacitus77 said:
So, i'm about to send our outland app and my representative said the 17 months spousal sponsorship time is accurate. Apparently all VO offices are now 17 months.
Your representative is mistaken.

Many VO offices are substantially faster than 17 months.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/warsaw-timelinejoin-here-t263928.690.html

canadausa#11

Jan 5, 2016
17 months is what it takes to complete 80% of all applications across all visa office so no your representative is giving you false information. Kind of crazy the amount of misinformation you see people getting from lawyers etc who they are paying thousands of dollars.

shaffi.martinez

Feb 18, 2016
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-MAY-2016
Doc's Request.
(PGR) 28-SEPT-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1: 9-JUNE-2016, AOR2: 15-AUG-2016
Med's Done....
UPFRONT
Passport Req..
WAITING
Hi, it's no problem for me as the sponsor to be the representative for my husband the applicant , and fill out all his paperwork ? Thanks.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
shaffi.martinez said:
Hi, it's no problem for me as the sponsor to be the representative for my husband the applicant , and fill out all his paperwork ? Thanks.
No, no problem at all. If you plan to have documents/COPR sent to your address and/or you plan to make phone calls or emails to CIC on his behalf, make sure you fill out the "Use of representative" form.

pastrj

Aug 18, 2015
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2016
AOR Received.
14-04-2016
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
19-04-2016
Med's Request
Submitted with application
Med's Done....
Dec 2015
shaffi.martinez said:
Hello, I would fill out the representative form for both the applicant and the sponsor. This is what I did just in case.
Good luck!!!

jrseee

Star Member
Jan 11, 2010
Thanks for your input.
IEC is meant for travel and study while PGWP is only issued after completing post-graduate studies. So I dont see how it is possible to hold multiple status in these categories.

Having both study permit and OWP create some flexibility such as you can take a term-off and work full-time even during school years. As for my wife's case, she can submit her masters thesis and start working right away, rather than waiting to finish the degree completely (takes few more months) and get a PGWP to start the job.

CIC agents seem to talk along the same lines. Please let me know if you have any input on this.

jrseee

Aquakitty said:
You aren't supposed to work full time while holding a study permit (except for breaks), and you have to maintain full-time status at your school, so I don't see how this is possible. You're already allowed to work full-time during breaks and part time during school so what good is the OWP? It wouldn't make sense to allow both. You want to work full-time while going to school full-time?

The times people are maintaining both isn't for this pilot program OWP, it's usually for IEC or PGWP.

Feb 17, 2016
Banff
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2016
IELTS Request
07-07-2016
Med's Request
07-07-2016
Med's Done....
11-07-2016
Passport Req..
01-12-2016
LANDED..........
17-12-2016
In a previous reply to one of my questions it was stated that the outland processing time in sydney for common law sponsorship was 5-7 months. Does anybody know how accurate this is and if it also includes the time it takes to process whether or not my canadian partner can sponsor me?

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
benjaminbutton21 said:
In a previous reply to one of my questions it was stated that the outland processing time in sydney for common law sponsorship was 5-7 months. Does anybody know how accurate this is and if it also includes the time it takes to process whether or not my canadian partner can sponsor me?
We have seen several people be through in 6 months or less, total (including the time for sponsor approval). Sydney is one of the fastest VOs.

MKayes

Jan 14, 2015
Dear Seniors and Experts,

I need an urgent advise regarding my upcoming Spousal Immigration Application.

I am a PR since May 07, 2015 and got married on February 12, 2016. My wife live in Bangladesh and I am going to apply for Outland Spusal Application.

On period May-October 2015 I was unemployed in Canada. From November I am working with a Bank and my yearly income is more than 50K.

My questions are -

- What is the minimum income requirment for sponsoring spuse?

- As I am employed from November 2015, my T4 and C4 will not demonstrate the partial income. Does it create any problem?

- Will it suffice, if I submit the following documents with my sponsorship applicatio package ?
1) employment letter with current annual salary
2) paystubs since November 2015
3) Personal letter stating my migration situation.

Appreciate your promt response.

Regards, Kayes.