+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

cupkaik

Nov 30, 2014
hopefully im posting this in the right place (if not, sorry...im new and im trying..)

so here's the deal. my child, husband, and i went up to canada to visit some of his family (he is canadian, i am american, and our sons dual citizenship papers are now being processed) and my husband would like to stay up in Canada and of course, take his wife and son with. weve made ourselves established in Canada but since I have no legal status as of yet, i had to go back to the states. As result, I had to leave my husband and toddler son in Canada (800 miles away..). In getting my sons paperwork all filed, would that help me get my residency? i looked into the spousal sponsorship stuff and my husband doesnt make $37,000 a year at his job, even though he's been the soul provider, and i the soul caregiver for our family since the birth of our son in 2013 and we never go without, would that really matter? We, our friends, and our family who have been trying to help us figure this stuff out are all at a loss of what to do. I just want to be back with my husband and son.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
cupkaik said:
hopefully im posting this in the right place (if not, sorry...im new and im trying..)

so here's the deal. my child, husband, and i went up to canada to visit some of his family (he is canadian, i am american, and our sons dual citizenship papers are now being processed) and my husband would like to stay up in Canada and of course, take his wife and son with. weve made ourselves established in Canada but since I have no legal status as of yet, i had to go back to the states. As result, I had to leave my husband and toddler son in Canada (800 miles away..). In getting my sons paperwork all filed, would that help me get my residency? i looked into the spousal sponsorship stuff and my husband doesnt make $37,000 a year at his job, even though he's been the soul provider, and i the soul caregiver for our family since the birth of our son in 2013 and we never go without, would that really matter? We, our friends, and our family who have been trying to help us figure this stuff out are all at a loss of what to do. I just want to be back with my husband and son.
No, your son being a Canadian will not help you. Your husband will have to sponsor your. The good part is that his income doesn't matter as long as he is NOT on welfare. As a US citizen, if you are not having to work while, you can go back to be in Canada with your husband and son as a 'visitor' and have him file an OUTLAND spousal sponsorship for you. Read the first post of this thread, it gives a LOT of information on what to expect, although the times are a little out now. This forum has ALL of the information you need to get your paperwork filed properly without the intervention of any lawyers or immigration consultants so don't waste your money on that.

Good luck.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
cupkaik said:

Don't worry about the income, it's plenty to show you're not going to need financial assistance from the government (and I don't think a specific amount is required in any event, though I could be behind the times on this). File an outland application (it's faster than inland for Americans), then go to Canada for 6 months (as an American you can do it without a visa) and towards the end of the 6 months file to extend your temporary stay while you are there waiting. Change your address with CIC so you get your application communications at your husband's address in Canada. Get some temporary health insurance before you go because you won't be covered by the provincial insurance. Your son's status as a Canadian won't change or affect your application (or processing time) at all.

hila01

Jul 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2013
LANDED..........
August 2014.
hyperion said:
good day to everyone i'm new here in thread, maybe this question was already discussed my apology...

i just want to ask if the person to be sponsor needs to submit also an employment certificate or it is okay without it as long as it was stated on the application form?

all our documents are complete and can't submit our papers because we are waiting for my wife's employment certificate from her current employer in Philippines.

anyone here can help me about this? we don't want to take a risk to submit the papers without the coe to avoid return of application.

regarding the proof of marriage, does it matter if the document to be sent together with the application form is the certificate of marriage of contract or the certificate of advisory on marriage? those two forms are in different format but same information.

thank you. GOD Bless everyone...
Hi. Although it is not a requirement that the sponsored applicant must be working, it is good to submit any document showing that your wife is employed in the phillipines like payslips if u can't provide letter of employment. Personally, I like to back up most of the claims on my application form with any form of proof if I have it. Your certificate of marriage is enough to prove you are married and some wedding photos. All the best.

cupkaik

Nov 30, 2014
really?? i found on the CIC website that for a family of three the income needs to be $37,000 / year for a full year? thats pretty much the main thing stopping our process. there has been no government assistance given to him (nor do we need to)

ms.m

Star Member
Sep 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2014
AOR Received.
06-03-2015
File Transfer...
16-03-2015
Med's Done....
13-11-2014/ updated by cic march 19 ,2015
Hi , can someone help me what is to write on imm5481 question 5bi- 5b iv, question number 6a-6b . I am the sponsor and im sponsoring mybhusband . I never sponsor anyone before. Thanks

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
cupkaik said:
really?? i found on the CIC website that for a family of three the income needs to be $37,000 / year for a full year? thats pretty much the main thing stopping our process. there has been no government assistance given to him (nor do we need to)
Yes, there are lots of people who make less and sponsor successfully. But do share your link we can take a look!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
cupkaik said:
This sounds like the LICO value. Note that sponsorship of spouse/partner and children are not subject to LICO:

If you are sponsoring a person other than

your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who has no family members, or
your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who has dependent children who have no dependent children of their own, or
your child who has no children of his or her own,
(emphasis added).

There is no minimum income required to sponsor a spouse/partner, their children or your own children. All you must be able to show is that you won't require social assistance ("welfare").

bhkr0008

Jul 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2014
AOR Received.
AOR1 January 9 AOR2 March 3
File Transfer...
17-01-2015
Med's Done....
JUNE 2014/RE-MEDS DONE OCT 2015
Interview........
HOPE NO
Passport Req..
Soon
VISA ISSUED...
Soon
LANDED..........
Soon
taffy7 said:
Just send the same documents again.They asked me for doc's which i sent the next day then two months after that they requested the same documents .It was a computer error, but i sent any way.
.I have seen people on the forum that sent documents to late and the VO had already made a negative decision.You could call them and say that you have sent the documents, but from experience they will just tell you to comply . They are giving you a second chance.
Thank you for ur help!!

valmiri

Star Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/11/2014
AOR Received.
18/02/2015
File Transfer...
SA 26/02/2015 File trsfd on 08/04/2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08/06/2015
VISA ISSUED...
12/06/2015
LANDED..........
Soon
Hi Im currently employed and I was thinking to change this job bcz its giving me so much stress other than the sadness that i have living here without my husband.
Therefore, DOES anybody know will it affect my application or what will happen if I change my job since CIC has received my application in the 22nd .
Plz help

Paki3506

Dec 1, 2014
Hello All,

I'm a Canadian citizen and I sponsored my wife early 2014. The application and medical were received in March 2014 and sponsorship was accepted in April. The file went straight to London office where the stated timeline is 11 months but I'm sure its taking longer than that.

I have a couple of questions:
- Is processing done on case to case basis or is it First in First out? Whichever the case, how long is it taking these days for Pakistan?
- Has anyone tried to apply for a visit visa for their spouse while their immigration file is in process? Would that work if I can prove her ties to Pakistan and provide a personal guarantee of her returning back once the Visa expires?

Thanks all for your updates and participation in this forum. I hope your loved ones unite with you soon (InshaAllah).

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
valmiri said:
Hi Im currently employed and I was thinking to change this job bcz its giving me so much stress other than the sadness that i have living here without my husband.
Therefore, DOES anybody know will it affect my application or what will happen if I change my job since CIC has received my application in the 22nd .
Plz help
It won't, go ahead and change your job. You can let CIC want by email that you've changed jobs if you need to (I don't remember whether this is an item CIC wants updated or not).

valmiri

Star Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/11/2014
AOR Received.
18/02/2015
File Transfer...
SA 26/02/2015 File trsfd on 08/04/2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08/06/2015
VISA ISSUED...
12/06/2015
LANDED..........
Soon
Thanks for replying Ivan
I know, that's why Im scared that it will delay my application.
Right now Im in stress with this job..:((

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
cupkaik said:
canadavisa.com/immigration-financial-ability

.html

it wont let me post links ..
The text of that page says:
The Sponsor is freed from this requirement if:
The individual requiring sponsorship is the spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner of the Canadian Sponsor; or
The individual requiring sponsorship is the dependent child of the Canadian Sponsor.

So you're all set. Go forth and emigrate to Canada!