+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship timeline

AdPaul

Aug 12, 2023
Hey everybody,
Me and my common law partner have applied to spousal sponsorship in 2022.
We are settled in Quebec and she is Canadian citizen.
IRCC has approved our eligibility and my medical exam.
we had back and forth moves on the medical exam they approved it multiple times but the last was in may 2023. They started processing our application in march 2022. When do you believe that they will process the biometrics an the background check ? It’s been 17 month now and we are getting stressed about the time required for this.
Our timeline :
- Mar 2022 application received
- May 2022 invitation for medical exam
- May 2022 invitation to send biometrics
- May 2022 invitation to pre arrival services
- June 2022 biometrics and medical exam received
- Jul 2022 CSQ received
- Jan 2023 medical exam complete
- May 2023 medical exam updated to complete

vid_west

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
Anybody receiving Passport requests from spousal sponsorship Outland from Quebec?

what are your timelines? It’s been 4 months since my application. Biometrics, medicals, CSQ all approved. Background check in progress and eligibility not started.

TIA

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
(Not my timeline, but someone's in a whatsapp group, I assume all dates are 2023):

Visa Office : Sydney
Application Submitted : 23rd March
Documents turn true : 5th May
Successfully link to gc key with temporary number : 25th May
AOR received : 26th May
BIL received : 1st June
Sponsor Approval : 2nd June
Biometric submitted : 6th June
CSQ application send to MIDI : 6th June
Biometric Completed : 7th June
Medical Request : 7th June
CSQ Payment by MIDI : 14th June
Medical Submitted : 20th June
Medical Passed : 25th June
CSQ received: 30th June
Request Letter for CSQ from IRCC : 13th July
CSQ submitted to IRCC : 13th July
Pre arrival received : 13th July
Eligibility and background completed in tracker: 13th July
Final decision made : 19th July
COPR Number and Documents generated: 20th July

Reactions: vid_west

AdPaul

Aug 12, 2023
(Not my timeline, but someone's in a whatsapp group, I assume all dates are 2023):

Visa Office : Sydney
Application Submitted : 23rd March
Documents turn true : 5th May
Successfully link to gc key with temporary number : 25th May
AOR received : 26th May
BIL received : 1st June
Sponsor Approval : 2nd June
Biometric submitted : 6th June
CSQ application send to MIDI : 6th June
Biometric Completed : 7th June
Medical Request : 7th June
CSQ Payment by MIDI : 14th June
Medical Submitted : 20th June
Medical Passed : 25th June
CSQ received: 30th June
Request Letter for CSQ from IRCC : 13th July
CSQ submitted to IRCC : 13th July
Pre arrival received : 13th July
Eligibility and background completed in tracker: 13th July
Final decision made : 19th July
COPR Number and Documents generated: 20th July
That is really frustrating how come some files are going that fast ?

James2023

Star Member
Jan 27, 2023
this is my timeline

Application submitted online - 24 Jan 23
Temporary application number - 20 Feb 2023
AOR by email - 01 March 23
Medical exam request - 01 March 2023
biometrics request - 08 March 2023
biometrics completed - 10 March 2023
CSQ application request (live in Quebec) - 10 March 2023
Medical exam completed - 14 March 2023
CSQ application mailed- 16 March 2023
Pre-arrive letter received - 16 March 2023
Eligibility completed - 17 March 2023
CSQ approved -- April 4, 2023
AIP letter -- 28 July 2023
Open work permit application submitted
SA letter--8 August 2023
Background verification --in process (only this is not completed)

Reactions: AdPaul

milon45

Star Member
Jul 10, 2023
Hey everybody,
Me and my common law partner have applied to spousal sponsorship in 2022.
We are settled in Quebec and she is Canadian citizen.
IRCC has approved our eligibility and my medical exam.
we had back and forth moves on the medical exam they approved it multiple times but the last was in may 2023. They started processing our application in march 2022. When do you believe that they will process the biometrics an the background check ? It’s been 17 month now and we are getting stressed about the time required for this.
Our timeline :
- Mar 2022 application received
- May 2022 invitation for medical exam
- May 2022 invitation to send biometrics
- May 2022 invitation to pre arrival services
- June 2022 biometrics and medical exam received
- Jul 2022 CSQ received from https://blocalseocompany.com/
- Jan 2023 medical exam complete
- May 2023 medical exam updated to complete
Hello,

The processing time for spousal sponsorship applications can vary, and it's challenging to provide an exact timeline due to individual case differences and external factors. However, you've provided a comprehensive timeline of your application progress, and it's great that IRCC has approved your eligibility and medical exams.

Considering your current status:

• Application received in March 2022.
  • Medical exam received in June 2022.
  • CSQ received in July 2022.
  • Medical exam marked as complete in May 2023.
Given that your medical exam was updated in May 2023, it's reasonable to expect that the next steps, including biometrics and background checks, may follow in the coming months. Typically, background checks and biometrics are part of the overall processing timeline, and they usually occur after the medical examination stage.

It's common for immigration processing to take time, and factors like the complexity of the case, the number of applications in the queue, and any additional checks required can influence the timeline. While processing times can vary, you may want to check the IRCC website for general processing time estimates for spousal sponsorship applications.

awanhsi

Jun 15, 2009
Hello,

The processing time for spousal sponsorship applications can vary, and it's challenging to provide an exact timeline due to individual case differences and external factors. However, you've provided a comprehensive timeline of your application progress, and it's great that IRCC has approved your eligibility and medical exams.

Considering your current status:

• Medical exam received in June 2022.
  • CSQ received in July 2022.
  • Medical exam marked as complete in May 2023.
Given that your medical exam was updated in May 2023, it's reasonable to expect that the next steps, including biometrics and background checks, may follow in the coming months. Typically, background checks and biometrics are part of the overall processing timeline, and they usually occur after the medical examination stage.

It's common for immigration processing to take time, and factors like the complexity of the case, the number of applications in the queue, and any additional checks required can influence the timeline. While processing times can vary, you may want to check the IRCC website for general processing time estimates for spousal sponsorship applications.
I had the exact time line, however, Security and Eligibility marked at completed since May 2023 but no update at all after May 2023, I don't know might be due to QC annual CAP of 10600 in spousal category? Any body have any idea? how many applications are still in process after this CAP? or should I move to Ontario to save some time? suggestions please

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I had the exact time line, however, Security and Eligibility marked at completed since May 2023 but no update at all after May 2023, I don't know might be due to QC annual CAP of 10600 in spousal category? Any body have any idea? how many applications are still in process after this CAP? or should I move to Ontario to save some time? suggestions please
Yes, this would be due to the Quebec caps.

When did you submit your application? Inland or outland?

I would be moving if I was in this situation but that's obviously a very personal decision.

tea_1984

Star Member
May 2, 2022
Our timeline:

Inland Application 7 October 2022
CSQ in February 2023
Background, Medical, Biometrics and Eligibility were all completed from Nov 2022 - March 2023
AIP July 2023
SA August 2023

No movement since then, so closing in on 6 months of no movement and the four big milestones (background, medical, eligibility, biometrics) were completed nearly 10 months ago.

Spousal OWP Application 20 October 2023
No updates yet

awanhsi

Jun 15, 2009
Yes, this would be due to the Quebec caps.

When did you submit your application? Inland or outland?

I would be moving if I was in this situation but that's obviously a very personal decision.
Spousal Family Class Application from Montreal for husband in Lahore Pakistan
  • CSQ received in June 2022.
  • Medical exam complete in May 2023.
  • Biometric completed in May 23
  • Eligibility and Background Verification completed in May 23.
  • Medical is going to be expire in May-24
  • No update since May 2023.
I find myself in a state of confusion, debating whether I should exercise patience or consider relocating my file destination to Ontario. The uncertainty arises from the lack of clarity on the number of approved applications pending in the queue, given the cap of 10,600 for 2024. I am unsure when my turn will come, and I am also uncertain about the applicability of the new policy introduced by QC in November 2023 to previous successful applicants.

Adding to my dilemma is the concern about the possibility of relocating and finding myself back in the queue in Ontario, which leaves me feeling somewhat stranded without a clear direction. Your insights on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

awanhsi

Jun 15, 2009
QC Family Class update: The number of immigrants admitted in the family class is expected to be between 10,600 and 11,000, slightly higher than the planned 10,200 to 10,600 admissions. •

tea_1984

Star Member
May 2, 2022
Spousal Family Class Application from Montreal for husband in Lahore Pakistan
  • CSQ received in June 2022.
  • Medical exam complete in May 2023.
  • Biometric completed in May 23
  • Eligibility and Background Verification completed in May 23.
  • Medical is going to be expire in May-24
  • No update since May 2023.
I find myself in a state of confusion, debating whether I should exercise patience or consider relocating my file destination to Ontario. The uncertainty arises from the lack of clarity on the number of approved applications pending in the queue, given the cap of 10,600 for 2024. I am unsure when my turn will come, and I am also uncertain about the applicability of the new policy introduced by QC in November 2023 to previous successful applicants.

Adding to my dilemma is the concern about the possibility of relocating and finding myself back in the queue in Ontario, which leaves me feeling somewhat stranded without a clear direction. Your insights on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
I think the new policy for QC applies only to new CSQ applications after the start date. Would be rather unusual and contestable for that to apply to existing CSQ holders, that said with how long the timeline is there is the concern of CSQ expiring I suppose. I hope in our case and yours it doesn't come down to that. We have also had the thought that perhaps moving to Ontario would help but I don't know if that would or wouldn't--and so it is also a matter of finding work and a place to live there further complicating things.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would only consider moving if you are permanent moving to another province, finding employment in that province (not working remotely for your QC) employer, etc.

awanhsi

Jun 15, 2009
I think the new policy for QC applies only to new CSQ applications after the start date. Would be rather unusual and contestable for that to apply to existing CSQ holders, that said with how long the timeline is there is the concern of CSQ expiring I suppose. I hope in our case and yours it doesn't come down to that. We have also had the thought that perhaps moving to Ontario would help but I don't know if that would or wouldn't--and so it is also a matter of finding work and a place to live there further complicating things.
Just for your information please, the CSQ has a validity of 24 months, and the medical examination results are valid for 12 months. However, they won't be considered expired for the purposes of your ongoing application until the final decision is made. (Might be just to prolong the application they ask for second medical)

In my opinion, the issuance of the CSQ is independent of the overall timeline and should not be viewed as part of the 10,600 Cap.
Quebec has set a cap on the issuance of visas for families and has instructed the IRCC not to issue visas beyond this limit. This means that IRCC will only grant visas to 10,600 applicants from January 2024 to December 2024. If this cap is reached in February or March, considering the pending approvals, IRCC will not issue any more visas for the Family Class until the new limit opens in 2025. I believe this restriction contributes to the differing timelines in Quebec/Canada due to go slow policy and the bottleneck at IRCC with limited capacity.

The location, whether in Montreal or Ontario, does not significantly impact me. My primary concern is the expeditious completion of the process. I anticipate that the situation may worsen day by day in Quebec and overall in Canada. Family reunification doesn't seem to be a priority for authorities.