+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship PPR while Traveling on Visit visa. No time to submit passport.

george12a

Oct 27, 2015
Hi,

I found myself in a tricky situation. My wife is about to land in Canada on July 13th on a visitor visa. Today, July 6th, she got her passport request for her spousal sponsorship application. There is no time to submit passport, and I would really prefer not to postpone her travel.

Has anyone been in this situation? Please reply

himankkohli6

Jun 2, 2023
Hi,

I found myself in a tricky situation. My wife is about to land in Canada on July 13th on a visitor visa. Today, July 6th, she got her passport request for her spousal sponsorship application. There is no time to submit passport, and I would really prefer not to postpone her travel.

Can you tell your complete timeline for pr application then i would be able to tell properly as i seen same situation

himankkohli6

Jun 2, 2023
Spousal sponsorship application submitted on Jan 16,2023.
AOR: Mar 07
PPR: July 06
See if you want to submit her passport in canada then yes you can do it but i will prefer not to do it as it will increase processing time for your pr application as you will have to inform ircc by raising webform which will take 20-30 days so i will suggest you to delay her travel if you want her pr fast​

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,

-Worst case, which is not that bad, read the instructions received with the passport request. They will say what to do if already in Canada - probably along lines of 'contact us and we'll arrange virtual landing.'* She can do that after arrival (if my second scenario below does not work). Note though that this MIGHT take longer than changing her flight and submitting passport and landing - if it's critical for her eg for work or healthcare, that may be the better solution. It is not a problem that she was not in Canada when the PPR came, that's still the relevant procedure.

-Best case: in a few cases, people in this situation have mentioned this to CBSA at passport control on arrival - and then CBSA has accessed the online file, printed the COPR, and completed the landing procedures. No guarantees but one might get lucky. Just in case, she should travel with PR-sized photographs per the instructions. If it doesn't happen that way, see above.

*Sometimes the instructions are a mess. At any rate, this is what the current procedure for those in Canada is, and it is what will happen if she travels and then advises after arrival that she is in Canada.

himankkohli6

Jun 2, 2023
-Worst case, which is not that bad, read the instructions received with the passport request. They will say what to do if already in Canada - probably along lines of 'contact us and we'll arrange virtual landing.' She can do that after arrival (if my second scenario below does not work). Note though that this MIGHT take longer than changing her flight and submitting passport and landing - if it's critical for her eg for work or healthcare, that may be the better solution. It is not a problem that she was not in Canada when the PPR came, that's still the relevant procedure.

-Best case: in a few cases, people in this situation have mentioned this to CBSA at passport control on arrival - and then CBSA has accessed the online file, printed the COPR, and completed the landing procedures. No guarantees but one might get lucky. Just in case, she should travel with PR-sized photographs per the instructions. If it doesn't happen that way, see above.
True i agree

george12a

Oct 27, 2015
Thank you everyone.

Here is some information, for people who are in the same situation or for those who get in this situation in the future.

We went forward with the visit visa option and my wife landed on July 13th. She stated temporary intentions at the airport and mentioned she will leave Canada after 2 weeks (There was still time to submit her passport after 2 weeks). Requested virtual landing, on the same day she landed.

Emails I received from IRCC

• "We acknowledge receipt of the documents and wish to inform you that they have been added to the file. Please note, for technical reasons, they may not be visible in your online account. Rest assured that your supporting documents are indeed added and available for officer review"
  • Email asking for Height, eye color, and landing info(template)
  • A confirmation email(auto-generated). Easy to assume this is the portal invite, but it is not.
  • Email with portal invite link and credentials
  • After uploading a photo, address, and declaring presence in canada you will get COPR
The whole process took almost a month for me.

If you were like me, confused between coming to Canada on a visit visa or postponing your travel plans and submit passport for PR. You can choose the first option and ask for a virtual landing once you get here. You can be with your partner sooner.

I don't think virtual landing alone delays your application. For some people, virtual landing is taking longer than a month but for some its way faster. I think it depends on your case. Also if your application is already processing in a VO in Canada, it is faster

All this is from personal experience, your case might be different. But I hope this helps.

Reactions: ERCAN

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We went forward with the visit visa option and my wife landed on July 13th. She stated temporary intentions at the airport and mentioned she will leave Canada after 2 weeks (There was still time to submit her passport after 2 weeks). Requested virtual landing, on the same day she landed.
If you were like me, confused between coming to Canada on a visit visa or postponing your travel plans and submit passport for PR. You can choose the first option and ask for a virtual landing once you get here. You can be with your partner sooner.
Stating temporary intentions was completely unnecessary and particularly stating the specific departure date.

Far better would simply have been to state arriving, show your PPR letter, and say you intend to complete the landing procedures as soon as possible. (If asked, say will leave the country if you need to i.e. will not overstay)

There was absolutely no need to misrepresent here. It's even possible - as I wrote above - that spouse would be invited to complete the landing procedures on the spot.

Joycelover

Aug 1, 2023
Thank you everyone.

Here is some information, for people who are in the same situation or for those who get in this situation in the future.

Emails I received from IRCC

• "We acknowledge receipt of the documents and wish to inform you that they have been added to the file. Please note, for technical reasons, they may not be visible in your online account. Rest assured that your supporting documents are indeed added and available for officer review"
  • Email asking for Height, eye color, and landing info(template)
  • A confirmation email(auto-generated). Easy to assume this is the portal invite, but it is not.
  • Email with portal invite link and credentials
  • After uploading a photo, address, and declaring presence in canada you will get COPR
The whole process took almost a month for me.

I don't think virtual landing alone delays your application. For some people, virtual landing is taking longer than a month but for some its way faster. I think it depends on your case. Also if your application is already processing in a VO in Canada, it is faster

All this is from personal experience, your case might be different. But I hope this helps.
How can I apply for visiting visa from Nigeria can anybody help

mateo00

Aug 23, 2023
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
-Worst case, which is not that bad, read the instructions received with the passport request. They will say what to do if already in Canada - probably along lines of 'contact us and we'll arrange virtual landing.'* She can do that after arrival (if my second scenario below does not work). Note though that this MIGHT take longer than changing her flight and submitting passport and landing - if it's critical for her eg for work or healthcare, that may be the better solution. It is not a problem that she was not in Canada when the PPR came, that's still the relevant procedure.

*Sometimes the instructions are a mess. At any rate, this is what the current procedure for those in Canada is, and it is what will happen if she travels and then advises after arrival that she is in Canada.
Hi @armoured, what are the chances that the CBSA will print the COPR upon arrival at the port of entry? How often does this happen? I am thinking of doing this when I saw your post.

I am currently on TRV in Canada and already have a passport request(PPR) for my permanent resident application but it is more than 2months since the PPR but I haven't receive the virtual landing yet. I am from Quebec and I saw there are new policies from Quebec limiting the permanent residents per year. I am not sure how this will affect me. In addition, I am seeing different timelines for virtual landing that there is one person that he/she is waiting for more than a year already.

I am trying to find a way to speed up my application since from my perspective only receiving the COPR is pending but this virtual landing is delaying my application for too long.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi @armoured, what are the chances that the CBSA will print the COPR upon arrival at the port of entry? How often does this happen? I am thinking of doing this when I saw your post.

I am currently on TRV in Canada and already have a passport request(PPR) for my permanent resident application but it is more than 2months since the PPR but I haven't receive the virtual landing yet. I am from Quebec and I saw there are new policies from Quebec limiting the permanent residents per year. I am not sure how this will affect me. In addition, I am seeing different timelines for virtual landing that there is one person that he/she is waiting for more than a year already.

I am trying to find a way to speed up my application since from my perspective only receiving the COPR is pending but this virtual landing is delaying my application for too long.
No idea, but I'd guess chances are low. Your case is nothing like the ones I referred to - and those were rare as it was.