+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship (outland) doubt

nikkaush

Nov 25, 2021
Hello,

I'm a Canada PR holder, who recently moved from the States. I want to sponsor my spouse who lives in India.
To be qualified as a sponsor, and submit a complete application, do I need to provide any paystubs showing income in CAD?

Someone told me that I need to attach at least 3 paystubs showing CAD income, to file spousal PR.
However, the below guide clearly states that there are no minimum income requirements for spousal PR.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

A little bit on my background.
I currently work for a US-based organization and can show enough savings to support my wife. I also get pay-checks in USD which I can attach to the application.
However, I'm currently in the process of an internal move (US -> Canada) within the same organization.
Now it could easily take 1 to 2 months while this move happens and I get 3 paystubs in CAD.
Since I don't want to waste 2 months, can I apply with USD paystubs and is it even necessary to attach paystubs, or just showing an account statement to show funds is enough?

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,

I'm a Canada PR holder, who recently moved from the States. I want to sponsor my spouse who lives in India.
To be qualified as a sponsor, and submit a complete application, do I need to provide any paystubs showing income in CAD?

Someone told me that I need to attach at least 3 paystubs showing CAD income, to file spousal PR.
However, the below guide clearly states that there are no minimum income requirements for spousal PR.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

A little bit on my background.
I currently work for a US-based organization and can show enough savings to support my wife. I also get pay-checks in USD which I can attach to the application.
However, I'm currently in the process of an internal move (US -> Canada) within the same organization.
Now it could easily take 1 to 2 months while this move happens and I get 3 paystubs in CAD.
Since I don't want to waste 2 months, can I apply with USD paystubs and is it even necessary to attach paystubs, or just showing an account statement to show funds is enough?

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance!
You will not need to show canadian paystubs, but since you have moved recently it would support tremendously if you show with a letter or somethign from the employer that you will be based in Canada. The issue will be less about your income, and more about showing that you really are and will reside in Canada.

Keep in mind you will need to file and pay taxes on your US income in Canada as well.

Reactions: nikkaush

nikkaush

Nov 25, 2021
@armoured ,
thanks for your response.

A quick update on the situation.
I have received the Canadian offer letter from the same organization stating that I will start working in Toronto from 11th-Jan-24. And within one week from now, I should have at least one paystub in CAD (which will be prorated).

Now, what I have is
1. Offer letter showing that I will be working in Canada and getting income in CAD
2. One Jan-24 paystub in CAD.
3. 5+ paystubs in USD, where the last paystub is from Dec-23.

Is the above enough to show that I'm now permanently based in Canada, and have a stable income source (in Canada), since I moved within the organization, or do I need to wait to get at least 2 more paystubs before submitting the spousal PR application?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
@armoured ,
thanks for your response.

A quick update on the situation.
I have received the Canadian offer letter from the same organization stating that I will start working in Toronto from 11th-Jan-24. And within one week from now, I should have at least one paystub in CAD (which will be prorated).

Now, what I have is
1. Offer letter showing that I will be working in Canada and getting income in CAD
2. One Jan-24 paystub in CAD.
3. 5+ paystubs in USD, where the last paystub is from Dec-23.

Is the above enough to show that I'm now permanently based in Canada, and have a stable income source (in Canada), since I moved within the organization, or do I need to wait to get at least 2 more paystubs before submitting the spousal PR application?
No need to wait for the other paystubs. I don't think you need the 5+ paystubs from before, either, one of them likely enough, you can explain you worked for that organization for [however long].