+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship legal status visa

Tine Fradette

Sep 27, 2017
Hi,

I am married to a Canadian and I will be applying for Spousal sponsorship and PR form inside the country under Canada Class. Right now I am outside the country but I will be travelling to Canada soon. The government website states that I have to maintain legal status as a visitor, student or worker in Canada. As I am from a visa exempt country I don't understand if I have to get a visitor visa or if it is enough to get an eTA. In that case, would I have to apply for a visitor visa once the 6 months I am allowed to stay without are a visa are over?

Thanks for the help!

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Hi,

I am married to a Canadian and I will be applying for Spousal sponsorship and PR form inside the country under Canada Class. Right now I am outside the country but I will be travelling to Canada soon. The government website states that I have to maintain legal status as a visitor, student or worker in Canada. As I am from a visa exempt country I don't understand if I have to get a visitor visa or if it is enough to get an eTA. In that case, would I have to apply for a visitor visa once the 6 months I am allowed to stay without are a visa are over?

Thanks for the help!
Yes, you are exactly right. If you are from a visa exempt country, you will not receive any sort of visitor visa. Once you enter Canada, unless the CBSA officer states otherwise (or stamps otherwise in your passport) when you arrive, you are allowed to stay for six months. Once you hit around five months, you can apply online for what's called a visitor extension. This will extend your status for another six months.

Tine Fradette

Sep 27, 2017
I did quite a bite of research and that's what I thought to understand as well, I just needed a confirmation that I am not totally wrong. Thanks for your help!

Pameladominic

Feb 11, 2018
Yes, you are exactly right. If you are from a visa exempt country, you will not receive any sort of visitor visa. Once you enter Canada, unless the CBSA officer states otherwise (or stamps otherwise in your passport) when you arrive, you are allowed to stay for six months. Once you hit around five months, you can apply online for what's called a visitor extension. This will extend your status for another six months.
Hello There! I am in the same situation but I am already in my 5th month in Canada and I didn't submitted my sponsorship app yet.
I suppose that I can extend my stay by application online too, but Do you know if is possible to make a trip to US and come back and have anothers 6 months of valid visitor status? The bad thing is O don't have a flight ticket to come back to my country of origin. I am very confused and stressed..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello There! I am in the same situation but I am already in my 5th month in Canada and I didn't submitted my sponsorship app yet.
I suppose that I can extend my stay by application online too, but Do you know if is possible to make a trip to US and come back and have anothers 6 months of valid visitor status? The bad thing is O don't have a flight ticket to come back to my country of origin. I am very confused and stressed..
Attempting a border run is quite risky.. There's never a guarantee you'll be allowed back into Canada if you take a short trip to the US. You are far better off applying to extend your status from within Canada.

Reactions: KBH

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
As scylla said, you are far better to apply online to extend your status. Pay the PR fees in full and include the receipt in the extension app to show that you are going to be applying for sponsorship.

Pameladominic

Feb 11, 2018
As scylla said, you are far better to apply online to extend your status. Pay the PR fees in full and include the receipt in the extension app to show that you are going to be applying for sponsorship.
Thank you, I was trying to send my petition of extend my status but they ask a lots of things like bank account statement, bills, proof of income, scholarship, etc..but everthing is at my husband name so I need to submit his information?
Also the first cuestion in the questionarie for extend stay is if I pretend to visit..study..work or move there.. I think visit will be the easy answer but the real is moved there permanent. What is the recommendation here? Thank you really appreciate.
Ahh...
And my trip to US is for 2 weeks to Florida entire family but not sure if in this situation we can take the risk. I read that with eTA you can have multiple entries in Canada. Just for and extra info when we arrived to Toronto the officer ask about our proposed of the trip, and we said that we are moving to Canada and we will be doing soon the application for sponsor. I suppose we was very lucky.

Thank you!! For the recommendation