+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship income

japt

Oct 5, 2015
I know this question has been asked here a lot, and from what I've read on here income is not a requirement in a spousal application if there are no children involved (and this is was something that was making me more relaxed).

I am the one sponsoring my husband, and I do not have an income right now (I am also thinking about going back to school full time in a year, so I don't think any job is going to hire me knowing I will soon leave). Now, even though I keep reading that it's not a requirement, the person who is helping me do the application and has done a spousal application before said they are very likely to reject it due to me not having an income.
He said it would be a big help if my husband could get a job lined up for when he arrived (and my husband is going to apply to jobs here soon), but that might be quite difficult since my husband wouldn't be able to tell them when he can start. We have some money in the bank, and I have family here that we'll be staying with that could support us for a bit. But I am worried that won't be enough.

just a square

Mar 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2016
AOR Received.
08-07-2016
File Transfer...
SA 08-08-2016, AOR2 16-08-2016
Med's Done....
06-05-2016
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
14-03-2017
Don't worry. And don't fall for anything that comes from 'my friend said that' world.
My sponsor didn't have income (because he's still studying) and he was approved for SA with no problem.
You can include your bank statement showing your savings and write down what's your plan to support yourselves (family support, looking for a job, etc.). As long as you don't get welfare you'll be alright.

japt

Oct 5, 2015
just a square said:
Don't worry. And don't fall for anything that comes from 'my friend said that' world.
My sponsor didn't have income (because he's still studying) and he was approved for SA with no problem.
You can include your bank statement showing your savings and write down what's your plan to support yourselves (family support, looking for a job, etc.). As long as you don't get welfare you'll be alright.
I wasn't... but considering this person has done applications before, it worries me more.
His wife said she is going to make calls to immigration to see how we can work around this income thing; hopefully there will be good news. We plan on start the application very soon.

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016 - SA:25/10/2016 - AOR2: 22/12/16
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
japt said:
I wasn't... but considering this person has done applications before, it worries me more.
His wife said she is going to make calls to immigration to see how we can work around this income thing; hopefully there will be good news. We plan on start the application very soon.
I don't think you have any "working around" to do. There is no income requirement if it's just you and your husband. Send in a copy of your bank account showing some savings, and maybe an explanation of your plan once you guys are approved for PR.. what kind of jobs you'll look for, school etc.. Maybe a letter from family member saying they will help out if needed...

Like previous poster has said, unless you are receiving welfare you will be ok.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
japt said:
There is no need to call IRCC and honestly, I would stop letting this friend help you. Telling you that your app will be refused because you have no income is dead wrong.

IRCC wants to know how you will support yourselves in Canada without welfare. You can show your husband's current income, his income potential, savings, investments, family assistance, a solid plan of how you will establish yourselves etc. You said you will be staying with family; get a notarized letter from them that they will be supporting you.

MelissaJohn

Star Member
Oct 4, 2015
Cape Breton
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2015
Doc's Request.
14-06-2016
AOR Received.
16-02-2016
Med's Done....
December 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
2-08-2016
LANDED..........
13-9-2016
I sponsored my husband while I had been living in his country without a job for a year and a half, no income at all.
All I did was write a letter explaining why I had no job at the time, send my T4 Slips and pay stubs from the job I had before I moved from Canada, and Job offers I had for when I returned. Since you have plans to return to school just write in your letter your plans.

You can also go to "indeed.ca" and print ads for job offers that deal with what you are studying to prove you will be able to work when you finish your school, and print job offers of what your partner would be looking to work as.

Even if you didn't apply to these jobs yet it shows you are looking for ways to make income and planning ahead before you even arrive in Canada.

Like mentioned above too, letters from parents saying they will help you with income, a place to live rent free etc. will help them understand how you will work this all out. No need to worry I believe as long as you aren't receiving welfare you are fine.

Again I had no income for over a year when I applied and I was accepted, So I hope this helps!

japt

Oct 5, 2015
To be honest, I have no job experience. I did a few temporary (days) jobs, but probably not long enough for it to be considered experience.

For my school plan, I am planning on applying to a program that has co-op, so that I can gain experience in the field I want to get into, and make some money at the same time. Hopefully that will help.

buonqua

Jun 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 16,2016
AOR Received.
May 4, 2016
File Transfer...
May 12, 2016
Med's Done....
February 19,2016
I lived outside Canada in the country of my wife and did not work the entire year.

I had a consultant tell me I had to fill out a financial questionnaire form and that my income below $10,000 was too low I would be rejected. He said he's worked on other sponsorships as well.

I had to prove to him by sending links that a financial questionnaire form is not needed and income is not required.

I was approved as a sponsor without having to write anything to explain my low income or how I would support my wife and daughter. I just sent them my 2014 notice of assessment.

japt

Oct 5, 2015
buonqua said:
I lived outside Canada in the country of my wife and did not work the entire year.

I had a consultant tell me I had to fill out a financial questionnaire form and that my income below $10,000 was too low I would be rejected. He said he's worked on other sponsorships as well.

I had to prove to him by sending links that a financial questionnaire form is not needed and income is not required.

I was approved as a sponsor without having to write anything to explain my low income or how I would support my wife and daughter. I just sent them my 2014 notice of assessment.
A consultant telling you that makes me nervous...

Right now, my hope is that when the lady calls immigration that they'll tell her income cut-off is not necessary for spouses. If she happens to get someone on the phone who tells her it's necessary, I won't know what to do. Maybe I'll risk it and try to just fill it out myself if that happens... I prefer to have those people helping me because they have done it before, and not sure I trust myself to do it alone.

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
If you won't believe us (the many that have gone through this), then listen to CIC...

From Guide 3900:

Sponsorship eligibility

In order to sponsor, you must…

- be 18 years of age or older,
- be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident,
- be sponsoring a member of the family Class,
- live in Canada or provide evidence, if you are a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada, that you will live in Canada once the person you are sponsoring becomes a permanent resident.
- sign an agreement with your spouse or common-law partner confirming that each of you understands your obligations and responsibilities,
sign an undertaking promising to provide for your spouse or common-law partner’s basic requirements and, if applicable, those of his or her dependent children,
- prove that you have sufficient income to provide basic requirements for your spouse or common-law partner’s dependent children. To do this, you must provide documents showing your financial resources for the past 12 months. This requirement applies only when dependent children who have dependent children of their own are included on the application.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
japt said:
A consultant telling you that makes me nervous...

Right now, my hope is that when the lady calls immigration that they'll tell her income cut-off is not necessary for spouses. If she happens to get someone on the phone who tells her it's necessary, I won't know what to do. Maybe I'll risk it and try to just fill it out myself if that happens... I prefer to have those people helping me because they have done it before, and not sure I trust myself to do it alone.
I know it can feel overwhelming, but it's really not as complicated as it looks. This forum is a great resource as well. Follow the guides that go with the forms, double-check things that you want clarification on with people here, and you should be fine. :)

japt

Oct 5, 2015
Omegabyte said:
If you won't believe us (the many that have gone through this), then listen to CIC...

From Guide 3900:

Sponsorship eligibility

In order to sponsor, you must…

- be 18 years of age or older,
- be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident,
- be sponsoring a member of the family Class,
- live in Canada or provide evidence, if you are a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada, that you will live in Canada once the person you are sponsoring becomes a permanent resident.
- sign an agreement with your spouse or common-law partner confirming that each of you understands your obligations and responsibilities,
sign an undertaking promising to provide for your spouse or common-law partner’s basic requirements and, if applicable, those of his or her dependent children,
- prove that you have sufficient income to provide basic requirements for your spouse or common-law partner’s dependent children. To do this, you must provide documents showing your financial resources for the past 12 months. This requirement applies only when dependent children who have dependent children of their own are included on the application.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp
It's not that I (me personally) don't believe you (I have gone on the CIC website and seen that). I am however worried that the people helping me do the application will be told incorrect information by someone inside immigration. I guess if that happens, I will show them what it says on the website, but I don't know how willing they would be to take my word over the word of someone working for immigration.

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
japt said:
It's not that I (me personally) don't believe you (I have gone on the CIC website and seen that). I am however worried that the people helping me do the application will be told incorrect information by someone inside immigration. I guess if that happens, I will show them what it says on the website, but I don't know how willing they would be to take my word over the word of someone working for immigration.
Bluntly, if the people helping you with the application don't even properly understand the eligibility guidelines for sponsorship in your specific situation, you probably shouldn't be trusting them to work on the application. I'd be concerned that that would not be the only issue that they'd be wrong about, and that could cause a lot of problems.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
japt said:
Listen to what we are all telling you. These friends have already given you very bad advice; who knows what other bad advice they will give you, maybe even to the point of screwing up your application.

Do the app yourself. It's really not complicated if you follow the checklists and guides. Any questions can be answered here on the forum.