+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications 2017 timeline and updates

mevisbleek

Star Member
Jul 18, 2009
Hi Guys,
I understand that to qualify for Open Work Permit the principal applicant needs to have status in Canada. However, does the applicant need to have status at the time the application reaches the processing center or at the time IRCC starts processing the application.

For simplicity sake, below is my case:
I am sponsoring my spouse in land.
Spouse Visitor Visa expires on March 1st.
Plan on sending the PR application before that date.
Does she qualify for OWP (Open Work Permit)?

abcdmud

Jan 23, 2017
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC - MISSISSAUGA
App. Filed.......
Feb 12, 2017
Doc's Request.
Apr 3, 2017
AOR Received.
Mar 5, 2017
Med's Request
Jun 14, 2017
Med's Done....
Passed Jun 29, 2017
Interview........
Mar 5, 2018
LANDED..........
Mar 13, 2018
Hello everyone,

I married the love of my life July 2017. My wife is from Vancouver, BC. We decided to do the inland spousal sponsorship. My application was received on December 27th, 2017. However, i received my police report from the USA on August 30th, 2017. So by the time i receive my AOR, my police report would have expired. Will they accept my police report even though it will older than 6months? thank you all!
Hi! I don't know if my comments will be of much help. I used to live in the US and had to get the FBI clearance. I applied for it after my last day crossing the Niagara border on April 16, 2016. I was getting my police clearances ready because I was actually waiting to get an invitation for EE under CEC class. However I ended up getting married and got invited 2 weeks after but decided to go the spousal route instead. I had to get 2 clearances, USA & Oman, and both I received in the summer of 2016. Since I didn't travel to either place since I got the police clearances, I didn't need to get an updated one from USA or Oman. I applied Feb 2017, and they accepted my clearances. SO as long as you haven't travelled back to the US, you should be okay. However if you did, then you will need to get an updated one.

Sorry for the long post.

chinesecanadian87

Star Member
Jan 30, 2017
Hi Guys,
I understand that to qualify for Open Work Permit the principal applicant needs to have status in Canada. However, does the applicant need to have status at the time the application reaches the processing center or at the time IRCC starts processing the application.

For simplicity sake, below is my case:
I am sponsoring my spouse in land.
Spouse Visitor Visa expires on March 1st.
Plan on sending the PR application before that date.
Does she qualify for OWP (Open Work Permit)?

yes she will qualify for OWP as long as the application is received at CIC PRIOR to march 1st. you should also apply to extend your visitor visa because if the application is returned for any reason you won't qualify for OWP and will be out of status

Noslord2003

Star Member
May 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
17-02-2017
AOR Received.
12-03-2017
Med's Done....
June
Interview........
25-01-2018
LANDED..........
25-01-2018
Hi,

I tried doing this but I can't leave the City/town of birth with a space bar. I did it once but it still ask for it after I click the find my app. How did you do it?
Yes you have to enter everthing

JC98337

Jan 19, 2018
Hi everyone,
Does any one know how long does it take to get OWP approved after I was able to link my account to the application online?
I have been tried to link my application since I submitted the application. Today, I finally linked it.
I'm not sure how long it will take to get approved...

aham1991

Nov 2, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
App. Filed.......
02-11-2017
AOR Received.
29-12-2017
Hi everyone,
Does any one know how long does it take to get OWP approved after I was able to link my account to the application online?
I have been tried to link my application since I submitted the application. Today, I finally linked it.
I'm not sure how long it will take to get approved...
Currently its around 4 months from they received your application.

aham1991

Nov 2, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
App. Filed.......
02-11-2017
AOR Received.
29-12-2017
I'm able to link the application to my CIC account meaning they started processing it, right...?
Yes, means that your application is complete and in process and they won’t return it.
When did you apply?

Lemur

Star Member
Jan 4, 2018
I got the letter in my CIC account after I linked it..I believe that its an AOR.
Same. However, CIC agent told me I still have to receive AOR as well. He sent out an internal request to do so. Are you in Canada on IEC? Or did you already have a GCKey account? I'm trying to figure out why some people don't receive AOR by e-mail. When I linked my application to my GCKey, the letter requesting Sched A and Police cert was there for over a week already!

Edit: he also said that if you received that letter, your application is complete and being processed. Regardless not receiving AOR. So don't worry.
Did your sponsor hear anything?

aham1991

Nov 2, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
App. Filed.......
02-11-2017
AOR Received.
29-12-2017
It was received by CIC on Dec 19, 2017.
Do you have an idea of how long it takes to get an approval?
Like i said current waiting time is 4 months.
I applied on Nov2nd 2017 but haven’t heard anything yet.
But there was people from nov 1st and 11th already got theirs.
And then I think there are people from october who haven’t got theirs.
I think yours should be around next month!
Finger cross for everyone!!

Reactions: HomeAgain17