+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications 2017 timeline and updates

northheart

Aug 7, 2017
I'm in the same boat, but I already applied. I called before I did and they suggested that I just provide evidence of border crossing (I included an excerpt of my credit card statement showing purchases on either side of the border the day of the crossing, since they didn't stamp my passport. I don't know if this is sufficient, but it seems to have at least gotten the process started.

When you cross, see if you can request a stamp. It might make things easier. Do you plan to cross by car or to fly in?
I plan to cross by car. I've crossed pretty much every week for a year now, goin to church and visiting.
Did you mention you were applying when you crossed?

novitakrnawn

Dec 2, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
App. Filed.......
14-DEC-2016
AOR Received.
04-JAN-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
LANDED..........
27-JUL-2017
In my case I have a Study Permit and Work Permit valid till 2019, which I have from before, since I'm still studying, not from during the Sponsorship process (like OWP), so I was wondering if they'd ask for or invalidate those. Probably not.
I was hoping to keep those valid because I have to travel in December, and I if I complete the landing before I leave (as per my timeline I'm expecting it at the beginning of December) there's now way I'll get my PR Card in time (~60 days), and I'm also only going to be out for 2 weeks at max, which is not sufficient time to get a PRTD from that country, so I'd use the TRV and permit to ensure the airline I can travel back, and then at the airport in Canada show the CBSA officer other PR documents like the signed and completed landing letter to confirm PR.
On the landing interview letter that i got, they asked me to bring any permits that i have and on the day they took it. So they will probably took yours or invalidate it. Also the officer asked me if i have plan to travel anytime soon. They will probably ask you too. Otherwise just inform the officer if you need to travel.

Emily89

Star Member
Dec 14, 2016
Hi everyone,
I am an Australian citizen on a Working Holiday visa till September 21st 2017. We are ready to apply with my partner (Canadian Citizen with whom I have been living for over a year) but a couple of questions remain:

1) Before the end of my visa I was hoping to go and come back from Boston on September 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th, does that sound like something plausible or once you apply you cannot leave Canada anymore? (I am just wondering if I can still enjoy the terms of my visa till the end as I have for the past almost 2 years, going and coming back from the States for baseball games).

I have asked a lawyer about my work condition and he answered

"If you submit an application for sponsorship and the open work permit before your status expires then you would be on what called implied status. Even though you would not technically be on a visa, because you will have applied for the spousal open work permit while your previous visa was valid, you would retain legal status in Canada and would be able to continue working under the same conditions as before"

I am just wondering, again, could I leave for 4 days before my work permit and working holiday expire?

2) Finally, I am applying for my open work permit as well (IMM 5710) which I will mail with the rest of my application, but the 3rd question is very confusing, what am I applying for? One or many of the following:
-A work permit with the same employer
-Restoration of your status as a worker
-An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
-Temporary resident permit

Thank you so much for all your help and good luck to all of us!
Hi!

I am Australian as well and was on the IEC working holiday visa... One thing i want to add to your question is, and i have done alot of research on this, is that you are NOT on implied status as a worker with IEC visa which means you are not allowed to work when it expires!! IEC work visa's are totally different from normal work visa's as IEC ones have an expiry date and are not able to be extended. You will however be implied status as a Visitor so you will be able to stay until your OWP has been approved.
I went through the exact situation as you and got told the same thing but the CIC website will say otherwise and i have read Forums where people have said they have continued working and they were fine and then people say they continued working and got caught.... Sooo it's up to you if you want to risk it.

for your second question:
My OWP has been approved and i selected An Initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
Make sure you have the most up to date form as well as these options sound like the older form... but i could be wrong

proud_quebecois

Jul 24, 2017
Hello,

Is there anyone trying to travel outside Canada while the sponsorship application is on processing?
I have open work permit, and it seems ok to travel but they always say that it is not recommended to travel.
Any idea?

karlos_macca

Oct 25, 2016
all..

I received an email letter from CIC a couple of weeks ago with an appointment date for an interview with my spouse who is sponsoring. I had to rearrange the date as I work in a fly in and fly out industry and would not be in Vancouver at the time. They replied to say that when they are booking September dates they will be in touch and if I am back earlier let them know for an earlier appointment.Is this the "Landing Interview?"

But today I received another letter saying that I meet the eligibility requirements to apply for PM under spousal sponsorship. It said
" It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent
residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that
a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent
resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks
for you and, if applicable, all of your family members, both in Canada and abroad, even if they
are not applying to join you in Canada at this time." Is this the Accepted In Principle letter??

Also when I log into the online portal it says that I do jot require an interview yet, but a decision has not been made.

But again, when I just log in to check application status through the website it says "Decision Made"

A lot of mixed messages....anyone know what the story is? I assume the Decision Made means after I do the landing interview, everything is good?

Minky.J

Jun 22, 2017
Hello,

I received my work permit last week, the document starts with a letter U and is valid for 2 years.
But today one week after, my cic account has been updated and I received a second document, there is no document name on it, it starts with a J + 9 letters and is valid 5 years.

Does anyone know what is it ? I apply for the spousal sponsorship 4 months ago and it hasn't been approved yet

Thank you
I believe that is your eTA.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=206&top=17

I know cic website is not particularly super-organized website when it comes to searching for information, and it always takes me longer than it should to find one not-so-complicated information I need. But if you do take some time and read through their guidelines and information under certain visa status( e.g. eTA, work permits, PR, citizenship, etc. ) , you will be able to find some helpful information you are looking for. :)

Minky.J

Jun 22, 2017
Thanks for sharing your experience and information.

Regarding the "linking application" instruction, I am quite confused as following:

leave passport number "no fill" ?
Hey, sorry I just saw your message.
I believe it means you leave it blank.
I remember I was having a linking problem too, and I can't remember what the combination was, but one of the combinations that people shared here finally worked after so many failures.
I'm sure you will be able to link yours soon.

Last edited:

icelandicpie

Jun 22, 2017
Hey! I'm an international student too, graduating June 2018!
The AOR right now is taking ~5 weeks. Just yesterday, someone whose package was received on June 28 received their AOR! So since yours was received on July 31, you can expect your AOR somewhere in the first week of September! That's almost a month of waiting in silence, it's the worst part lol, but try to keep busy. Once you get your AOR, it means your application was complete and they have put it in the system. When they send you the AOR by email, that is when you'll be able to link on your GCKey account, not before it.
As soon as you link, you'll see a request for Schedule A and PCCs which you can upload right away.
The medical request comes ~120 days after they receive your application. So you can expect your medical request sometime in December. Good luck!
Thank you so much!
I'm not too worried about waiting now that I know what the timeline is like. I will look into Schedule A and PPCs this month. For the PPCs, do I just go to my local police station and ask for a background check? I used to live in another province - am I supposed to request a PPC from the city I used to live in?
Schedule A looks like a pain. I can't wait to be done submitting everything haha

Vandave

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
Tsawassen, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
26-06-2017
Hey, sorry I just saw your message.
I believe it means you try to leave it blank.
I remember I was having a linking problem too, and I can't remember what the combination was, but one of the combinations that people shared here finally worked after so many failures.
I'm sure you will be able to link yours soon.
Still trying and failing.
We got another letter from CIC which request us to submit Schedure A and police certificate.

My question is:
1. my has been living in Canada just over 6 month. should she get police certificate from Canada? and how to request it?
2. we still not able to link our application online. so we decide to submit all requested documents by webform. is there any difference than submitting it online?

Thanks.

shazahsan

May 17, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I did what u said so it will be on IRCC.. but when i check it, its saying action required? Is it normal?
Same thing to me.. Not sure what should I do next. Let me know if u got any ideas! Thank u
Yes, it's normal, mine says that too. Check out my reply below.

I uploaded my documents on June 12, it still says Your Action Is Required on mine today :p And for a few others I know, it's normal. The way they update CIC is weird.
The day after I uploaded, the row in the table for "additional documents" changed to "The additional documents you provided have been uploaded".
Once you've uploaded, just assume that they've received them and will start processing them as per their procedures.
The "Your Action is Required" might change to "Updated" or it might not until the Med Request comes in.
The background check row in the table may change from Not Applicable to "...Is in process" a few weeks after you upload. For some it did, for some in didn't.
In summary, don't worry too much. They update MyCIC for some and not for others, it's inconsistent.
The next step is just to wait for the med request. It'll come ~120-130 days after the day they received your app.

Reactions: ayien05

shazahsan

May 17, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Thank you so much!
I'm not too worried about waiting now that I know what the timeline is like. I will look into Schedule A and PPCs this month. For the PPCs, do I just go to my local police station and ask for a background check? I used to live in another province - am I supposed to request a PPC from the city I used to live in?
Schedule A looks like a pain. I can't wait to be done submitting everything haha
For PCCs, you need one from your country of origin, if you lived there for >6 months after turning 18. You also need a PCC from any country you lived in for >6 months after turning 18.
For Canada, you don't need to provide one unless they specifically ask you to. But many people (including myself) did provide it as it is where we 'currently live' and I've been here >6 months. For a Canadian PCC, you need the RCMP Criminal Background Check (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/steps-obtain-certified-criminal-record-or-vulnerable-sector-vs-check) basically. You have to go to an RCMP-accredited fingerprinting center (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/who-can-conduct-criminal-record-check#ac) where they take your fingerprints and submit them electronically to RCMP to run through their database. In a week or so you receive the PCC paper in the mail. Use this tool to find out how to get a police certificate for any country: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp
If you select Canada in the tool, it will explain this to you. IRCC only accepts the RCMP's criminal record check for PCC, not local police station police certificates.