+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications 2017 timeline and updates

elomam

Star Member
Jun 23, 2018
Montreal
hmmmm, now I started to worry((( 3 days I tried to link my app, finally today with success, but nothing is there about app to quebec, just written "in process" and nothing else(
You don't have to worry, in most cases I saw it came around one week after AOR

Danish1371

Nov 6, 2014
Category........
FAM
I don't remember exactly, but I think it was the same. If you are from UK, I would think you will not have any delay. Security checks are easier as Canadian and UK secret services cooperate on a daily basis. I sincerely expect your application to be finished on time around 12 months.
Ours is UK and we have had nothing ... and many after us are getting landed already.

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
Ours is UK and we have had nothing ... and many after us are getting landed already.
That can also happen, but generally speaking, security checks for applicants from UK, USA, or Europe in general are easier to get. So there are less risk of longer delay.
As I understand, you applied in September, so you could see some movement very soon and everything could happen very fast. Some people get SA, AIP, and DM in less than 24 hours apart.

Danish1371

Nov 6, 2014
Category........
FAM
That can also happen, but generally speaking, security checks for applicants from UK, USA, or Europe in general are easier to get. So there are less risk of longer delay.
As I understand, you applied in September, so you could see some movement very soon and everything could happen very fast. Some people get SA, AIP, and DM in less than 24 hours apart.
Yes Sept 11... so time is very close now without seeing any movement

Wayfarer

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
My ECAS and GCKey account are still both showing that application is being processed, although I got interview date on Aug 23 and the landing letter on 27th, my husband got SA approval letter yesterday. I wonder whether they will update it at all :)

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
My ECAS and GCKey account are still both showing that application is being processed, although I got interview date on Aug 23 and the landing letter on 27th, my husband got SA approval letter yesterday. I wonder whether they will update it at all :)
The CIC account (GCKey) will not be updated until you land.
ECAS is normally updated and should show DM on both sides already. But I would not wonder about that at all. If you have the landing letter, that's all that matters!

TeaDrinkerYVR

Aug 27, 2018
I remember seeing a very good post w/ all the inland steps and acronyms, but for the life of me I cannot find it!

I am the sponsor. My common-law partner is the principal applicant (PA).
I don't have the exact dates on hand but we did the application / AOR / Schedule A / police check from Oct to Dec of 2017.
PA got his OWP in Jan 2018, then crickets for months.
PA got & passed his medical request in May 2018, then more crickets.

THEN... Out of then blue, PA got a phone call yesterday. Visa officer was asking him to confirm details and also asking about me and my job. PA also then got a letter "you're eligible to apply for permanent residence." Is this the approval in principle (AIP)?

And what's next for us? If I understand correctly, we need:
Sponsor approval (SA)
Final decision aka decision made (DM)
Then the landing interview at our local office
Am I missing anything?

I'm also super nervous about SA because I missed my phone call from the visa office. It was a blocked number and no voice message, but I'm sure it was CIC as my partner got his call right after. Anxiously waiting for them to call me back. :(
(Edit: extra super nervous because my understanding is that they only call if they have doubts about your file.)

Last edited:

HomeAgain17

Star Member
Nov 1, 2017
Hamilton, ON
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
05-09-2017
Doc's Request.
06-11-17
AOR Received.
31-10-17
Interview........
14-09-2018
LANDED..........
14-09-2018
My husband (applicant) and I (sponsor) just received letters stating that we have passed eligibility and been approved as sponsor! Is this DM or just AIP? Just wondering how much longer we can expect before landing?

joellau91

Jun 2, 2018
Vancouver, BC
September 20, 2017 Applicant here.
Received SA and AIP from Vancouver office on August 22nd, 2018, ECAS showed DM on sponsor side on August 23, 2018 and in process on PA.
Now ECAS showing DM on my side (PA) too on August 28, 2018. CIC website is still reviewing eligibility and not showing DM. Not sure what's going on here.
I live and applied from Vancouver, so hopefully I can get more updates soon. Tried to get hold of CIC agent on the phone, but to no avail.

Tin tin

Star Member
Aug 12, 2017
Niagara region
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Portage Road
App. Filed.......
19-09-2017
Doc's Request.
20-11-2017
AOR Received.
20-11-2017
Med's Request
18-08-2018
Med's Done....
21-08-2018
My husband (applicant) and I (sponsor) just received letters stating that we have passed eligibility and been approved as sponsor! Is this DM or just AIP? Just wondering how much longer we can expect before landing?
Finally you can travel back if you land soon. Good luck.

Reactions: HomeAgain17

metqc

Star Member
Aug 4, 2017
Category........
FAM
This is SA and AIP, congrats! Did it say Vancouver or Mississauga at the bottom of these letters?

Next step is DM which should come within a week (sometimes shorter sometimes longer), and then landing letter which depends on your home office.

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
I remember seeing a very good post w/ all the inland steps and acronyms, but for the life of me I cannot find it!

I am the sponsor. My common-law partner is the principal applicant (PA).
I don't have the exact dates on hand but we did the application / AOR / Schedule A / police check from Oct to Dec of 2017.
PA got his OWP in Jan 2018, then crickets for months.
PA got & passed his medical request in May 2018, then more crickets.

THEN... Out of then blue, PA got a phone call yesterday. Visa officer was asking him to confirm details and also asking about me and my job. PA also then got a letter "you're eligible to apply for permanent residence." Is this the approval in principle (AIP)?

And what's next for us? If I understand correctly, we need:
Sponsor approval (SA)
Final decision aka decision made (DM)
Then the landing interview at our local office
Am I missing anything?

I'm also super nervous about SA because I missed my phone call from the visa office. It was a blocked number and no voice message, but I'm sure it was CIC as my partner got his call right after. Anxiously waiting for them to call me back. :(
(Edit: extra super nervous because my understanding is that they only call if they have doubts about your file.)
First thing, relax! The eligibility letter to the PA is the AIP. There is really nothing to worry about having AIP in hands, phone call or not! Even if you did not get the sponsor approval (SA) letter yet, the sponsor must be approved for the PA to receive AIP.
Check ECAS: https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/authenticate.do
Log in as the sponsor. You should see decision made on the sponsor side, which means SA. If not yet, then check tomorrow morning it should appear.
On the PA side, you will see either "in process" or decision made. It usually switch to "in process" when the PA gets AIP. If you see decision made on the PA side, then you are done and waiting for a DM letter (that might come, but might also not come) and the landing invitation letter.

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
This is SA and AIP. Not DM yet (from what you wrote). Check ECAS, you should see decision made on the sponsor side and either in process or decision made on the PA side. When you will see decision made on the PA side, you will be done and waiting for you landing appointment.
The timeline between AIP and DM is highly variable, ranging from few hours to several months, so it's not possible at this point to estimate when you can expect to land.

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
September 20, 2017 Applicant here.
Received SA and AIP from Vancouver office on August 22nd, 2018, ECAS showed DM on sponsor side on August 23, 2018 and in process on PA.
Now ECAS showing DM on my side (PA) too on August 28, 2018. CIC website is still reviewing eligibility and not showing DM. Not sure what's going on here.
I live and applied from Vancouver, so hopefully I can get more updates soon. Tried to get hold of CIC agent on the phone, but to no avail.
Congrats, you got DM. Your CIC account won't show any update until you land. But now you are waiting for a DM letter (which is very unreliable... sometimes sent fast, sometimes sent with weeks delay, sometimes not sent at all...) and a landing invitation letter. I don't know how fast/slow Vancouver office deals with landing, but it used to happen 4-6 weeks after DM. If some people landed recently in Vancouver, they could comment on that with more precision than me.