IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
I have been following this page for a quite a while now and I want to sincerely thank everyone for the awesome posts. I have found answers to so many of my questions that werent cleared by my lawyer who we paid a huge fee!
Mine is a complicated case. My refugee case was denied. I started my sponsorship application in Nov 2016. Medicals were requested in September 2017 and no update since then. I do not have a travel document. I am bugged on and off by cbsa for a travel document. MP has been contacting IRCC on my behalf but nothing seems to work. Eligibility has not even processed.
Can anyone please explain if our file is on the right track? What is the step for an application where you cant provide a travel document? I am hoping Profiler can answer some of my complicated questions:)
Thank you
Welcome aboard! Sorry for my delay -- I was in a meeting at "the dreaded day job".

I will see what I can do. I am no expert ,and I am not well versed in refugee processes. But, let's see where we get.

First off: they are still processing in October for 2016 cases. So, not having eligibility passed may not really mean anything.

Second: are you the subject of a removal order? Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a removal order issued at the start of a refugee claim?

Third: how difficult would it be to get a travel document?

santysoo

Sep 27, 2015
hello

I just wondering ~ if anyone can help me with this situation.. @profiler ; maybe?

I am Early January 2017 applicant ;
So, I received 2 love letters from CIC. Just wondering how it is with my application...
1. Procedural fairness letter : this letter asking about the proof that I have been staying with my husband in this year ; as when we submitted, I realize we put my staying date till the day of my visa run out ; I already sent to them all proofs I have to show I am staying with my husband. Then just few days later, I received another love letter from CIC
2. Eligibility Passed: this letter tell me that I have meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class. This letter also asked for Criminal Record check based on my fingerprint (RCMP), they give me 30 days to do so.

If anyone can help me to answer my questions, I will be very appreciate it,
1. I did fingerprint at Hamilton already, and according the lady, they will submit the result straight away to RCMP ; and RCMP will send to CIC directly in a week, so it's been more than 10 days, when I login my cic, it is still said "my action is required" - and didn't change any status. At this point, what should I do? >> I already contacted CIC with IRCC and giving them my fingerprint number reference ID that the lady emailed me.

2. The second love letter, is that a good sign? >> Eligibility Passed with RCMP requested
because we have been waiting for almost a year for this application and I am currently out of status since Feb'17 (I didn't submit OWP- I don't intend to work, also didn't submit to extend my temporary visa) because some misunderstanding from my husband thought that once I applied the PR by him as my sponsor, I already implied, but that is so wrong in so many level ... ~_~

3. Is it normal they requested my fingerprint criminal record check? and how long it is normally?

I will be appreciate for any answer from all seniors here..
Happy New Year!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
hello

I just wondering ~ if anyone can help me with this situation.. @profiler ; maybe?
Hello! I will see what I can do! (Happy New Year to you, as well!)

I am Early January 2017 applicant ;
So, I received 2 love letters from CIC. Just wondering how it is with my application...
1. Procedural fairness letter : this letter asking about the proof that I have been staying with my husband in this year ; as when we submitted, I realize we put my staying date till the day of my visa run out ; I already sent to them all proofs I have to show I am staying with my husband. Then just few days later, I received another love letter from CIC
2. Eligibility Passed: this letter tell me that I have meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class. This letter also asked for Criminal Record check based on my fingerprint (RCMP), they give me 30 days to do so.
Before I comment, I have to say: You and I have drastically different ideas about love letters. Procedural Fairness Letters are on my list of last things that I need. It's right up there with a hole in the head...

1. I did fingerprint at Hamilton already, and according the lady, they will submit the result straight away to RCMP ; and RCMP will send to CIC directly in a week, so it's been more than 10 days, when I login my cic, it is still said "my action is required" - and didn't change any status. At this point, what should I do? >> I already contacted CIC with IRCC and giving them my fingerprint number reference ID that the lady emailed me.
If you passed along proof that you did as they requested (the reference ID, and the name of the place that did the fingerprinting), then that's enough. You can call to ask if CIC needs anything more from you, at this time. I do believe that myCIC can be a bit flakey. So I tend not to trust what it says.

2. The second love letter, is that a good sign? >> Eligibility Passed with RCMP requested
because we have been waiting for almost a year for this application and I am currently out of status since Feb'17 (I didn't submit OWP- I don't intend to work, also didn't submit to extend my temporary visa) because some misunderstanding from my husband thought that once I applied the PR by him as my sponsor, I already implied, but that is so wrong in so many level ... ~_~
This is definitely more of the love letter I would expect. Passing eligibility means you have AIP. You have successfully negated the Procedural Fairness Letter.

OWP's give you status in Canada. You can take one, and not work at all. You are not obligated. So you should have submitted for one, when you were in status...

3. Is it normal they requested my fingerprint criminal record check? and how long it is normally?
It might be a newer thing. But it never used to be required, unless they have more than 1 "Jane Smith"s and they want to use fingerprints to confirm you are not the "Jane Smith" who committed murder some time back. So, I wouldn't say it's a big deal, unless you ARE that "Jane Smith" ;)

By the sounds of things, your case is in the second stage. They are doing Criminality and Security now. Criminality usually only takes a few days. Security, well, that takes way longer. When was your AIP letter dated for??

Reactions: santysoo

santysoo

Sep 27, 2015
Hello! I will see what I can do! (Happy New Year to you, as well!)

Before I comment, I have to say: You and I have drastically different ideas about love letters. Procedural Fairness Letters are on my list of last things that I need. It's right up there with a hole in the head...

If you passed along proof that you did as they requested (the reference ID, and the name of the place that did the fingerprinting), then that's enough. You can call to ask if CIC needs anything more from you, at this time. I do believe that myCIC can be a bit flakey. So I tend not to trust what it says.

This is definitely more of the love letter I would expect. Passing eligibility means you have AIP. You have successfully negated the Procedural Fairness Letter.

OWP's give you status in Canada. You can take one, and not work at all. You are not obligated. So you should have submitted for one, when you were in status...

It might be a newer thing. But it never used to be required, unless they have more than 1 "Jane Smith"s and they want to use fingerprints to confirm you are not the "Jane Smith" who committed murder some time back. So, I wouldn't say it's a big deal, unless you ARE that "Jane Smith" ;)

By the sounds of things, your case is in the second stage. They are doing Criminality and Security now. Criminality usually only takes a few days. Security, well, that takes way longer. When was your AIP letter dated for??

Thank you so much for the reply @profiler :) We are very very appreciate it.

About the love letter.. yea, we don't have any idea about the procedural fairness letter at the first, until we read it need more proof that my husband and I have been staying together, which we already provided to them. And the next 2 weeks, they send us another one, the tittle is Eligibility Passed (my husband already passed and approved as a sponsor)

At this point, with this second letter, we assumed the first letter didn't matter anymore. Because CIC wouldn't send us the Eligibility passed letter if they still think I don't stay with my husband this whole time, right? Like what you stated there :)

so, AIP is good? do you think they will send us the procedural fairness letter again? or at this point, we just have to be relax a bit and wait for the result? Normally it is how long? and what kind of security they checked?
My AIP was sent by them on 15 December 2017. I applied 12 January 2017, in 3 days it will be 12 months, if on this state only criminal and security, means will be another year for me? but I read the processing time supposedly 12 months because I applied after 16 December 2016 with the whole new process.

About OWP, when we submitted the application, we never checked on the forum yet, we just submitted blindly, and my husband had this impression once we submit, I implied, big mistake, I know ; and when I realized it was so wrong, it is already too late for us. At this point, we can only sit and wait.

Once again, thank you so much for your time to answer all my questions, and your help .. thank you :)

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Thank you so much for the reply @profiler :) We are very very appreciate it.
No problem. Don't mention it.

so, AIP is good? do you think they will send us the procedural fairness letter again? or at this point, we just have to be relax a bit and wait for the result? Normally it is how long? and what kind of security they checked?
My AIP was sent by them on 15 December 2017. I applied 12 January 2017, in 3 days it will be 12 months, if on this state only criminal and security, means will be another year for me? but I read the processing time supposedly 12 months because I applied after 16 December 2016 with the whole new process.
AIP means you are eligible to apply under the program (Family Class - Spouse or Common Law Partner In Canada Class) for which you have applied. It means they are satisfied that you are a member of the class. All that remains is the Security screening (assuming Medical is already passed, and that they have completed the Criminality screening -- they only take a short time). SO, yes, very good. It means, as long as you aren't a terrorist, or known to subvert governments, or commit crimes against humanity, you'll be issued a PR.

You said Hamilton. I will go out on a limb here, and say, that's probably "The Hammer" or "Steel Town" Ontario? If so, take your AIP letter, and head with your husband to Service Ontario to apply for OHIP (health insurance). Here is some details on that: https://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/health-ohip-card/how-do-i-apply-for-a-health-card-ohip/ and https://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/health-ohip-card/what-documents-do-i-need-to-apply-for-a-health-card-ohip/

Normally it is how long? and what kind of security they checked?
For what they are looking for: Subversion of Governments, Crimes Against Humanity, Human Trafficking, Organised Crime, Terrorism, etc.

Usually 3-6 months. But they probably ordered it before now. This is the thing that is delaying the remainder of 2016's it seems. They cannot control it, because it requires work from the Intelligence Community, foreign partners, Interpol, etc etc. If AIP was in December, then I would say you could have a decision any day now.

Reactions: santysoo

santysoo

Sep 27, 2015
No problem. Don't mention it.

AIP means you are eligible to apply under the program (Family Class - Spouse or Common Law Partner In Canada Class) for which you have applied. It means they are satisfied that you are a member of the class. All that remains is the Security screening (assuming Medical is already passed, and that they have completed the Criminality screening -- they only take a short time). SO, yes, very good. It means, as long as you aren't a terrorist, or known to subvert governments, or commit crimes against humanity, you'll be issued a PR.

You said Hamilton. I will go out on a limb here, and say, that's probably "The Hammer" or "Steel Town" Ontario? If so, take your AIP letter, and head with your husband to Service Ontario to apply for OHIP (health insurance). Here is some details on that: https://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/health-ohip-card/how-do-i-apply-for-a-health-card-ohip/ and https://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/health-ohip-card/what-documents-do-i-need-to-apply-for-a-health-card-ohip/

For what they are looking for: Subversion of Governments, Crimes Against Humanity, Human Trafficking, Organised Crime, Terrorism, etc.

Usually 3-6 months. But they probably ordered it before now. This is the thing that is delaying the remainder of 2016's it seems. They cannot control it, because it requires work from the Intelligence Community, foreign partners, Interpol, etc etc. If AIP was in December, then I would say you could have a decision any day now.

You know, we have been worrying too much, and writing in this tread and read this reply, really bring peace in our mind, my husband and I. So, therefor we need to thank you so so much @profiler :) really big relieve, also because we have been waiting for a year for this process...
It is so good to know the process will be over soon...

My medical result has been passed since July'17 :)
We are staying at St. Catharines, Ontario, we went to Hamilton because it is the nearest fingerprint place we can find refer by RCMP website. Is it ok? and, OHIP can requested even I am still not yet a PR? or should I wait until I officially a PR?

Also, may I know, if you don't mind, if I am already a PR, when you think I can go back to visit my mom and dad at my own country? -like for example, if I have my landing in February, is it okay to go back to my country on July?

Reactions: profiler

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
We are staying at St. Catharines, Ontario, we went to Hamilton because it is the nearest fingerprint place we can find refer by RCMP website. Is it ok? and, OHIP can requested even I am still not yet a PR? or should I wait until I officially a PR?
It doesn't matter where you go to get your fingerprints done. As long as RCMP does recognise them. I was just using your statement about Hamilton to judge that you were in the province of Ontario.

You can and should absolutely apply for OHIP. There is a 90-day wait before it becomes active. So, applying now would be to your benefit. The AIP letter does permit you to apply. You do need to make sure you have the required documents, as stated in the links I pasted previously.

When you land, you just go to Service Ontario, and update them (show them your COPR, which will be handed to you, when you land) and they will have you fill out an update form (you just check the PR box) to make your OHIP permanent.

About eligibility for OHIP: https://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/ontario-health-insurance-plan-ohip/who-is-eligible-for-ohip/

"
You must be able to answer "yes" to at least 1 of these statements:

Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents
  • You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
  • You are a "protected person," also called a convention refugee.
  • You are registered as an Indian under the Indian Act. (This is for aboriginal people of Canada.)
  • You applied for permanent residence and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada. This means that you have "approval-in-principle."
  • You have applied for a grant of citizenship under section 5.1 of the Citizenship Act (Canada). IRCC confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for citizenship. (This is for children adopted internationally by Canadian citizens.)
"
I took the liberty of highlighting the important part...

Also, may I know, if you don't mind, if I am already a PR, when you think I can go back to visit my mom and dad at my own country? -like for example, if I have my landing in February, is it okay to go back to my country on July?
When you land, the officer will send an application in for you, for your first PR card. That will take ~61 days to arrive. This is reasonably consistent, and you can see that metric here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/ (select 'Permanent Resident Cards + No I am waiting for my first card). That's the safest and easiest bet. HOWEVER, you can leave before that time, if need be. You will need to apply outside Canada, at an embassy or visa office for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), UNLESS you are from a country where there is no visa / eTA required.

When you land, you are in this grey area, where all the visas you may have had, immediately become invalid (it's not legal for a PR to have Canadian visas -- they are not required for PR's). So, I would suggest waiting for the card. But if you cannot, there is a means to be able to return to Canada, as I said above.

So, with what I said above: if you landed in February, you could potentially return in February. This would require an additional fee for a PRTD, an additional application, and several weeks of processing time. OR, you could wait ~61 days (assuming you land February 28th; you should have your card by ~April 30th -- and don't tell @sylvain1 that I was date-mathing after 11am!).

Info on PRTD:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

santysoo

Sep 27, 2015
It doesn't matter where you go to get your fingerprints done. As long as RCMP does recognise them. I was just using your statement about Hamilton to judge that you were in the province of Ontario.

You can and should absolutely apply for OHIP. There is a 90-day wait before it becomes active. So, applying now would be to your benefit. The AIP letter does permit you to apply. You do need to make sure you have the required documents, as stated in the links I pasted previously.

When you land, you just go to Service Ontario, and update them (show them your COPR, which will be handed to you, when you land) and they will have you fill out an update form (you just check the PR box) to make your OHIP permanent.

About eligibility for OHIP: https://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/ontario-health-insurance-plan-ohip/who-is-eligible-for-ohip/

"
You must be able to answer "yes" to at least 1 of these statements:

Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents
  • You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
  • You are a "protected person," also called a convention refugee.
  • You are registered as an Indian under the Indian Act. (This is for aboriginal people of Canada.)
  • You applied for permanent residence and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada. This means that you have "approval-in-principle."
  • You have applied for a grant of citizenship under section 5.1 of the Citizenship Act (Canada). IRCC confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for citizenship. (This is for children adopted internationally by Canadian citizens.)
"
I took the liberty of highlighting the important part...

When you land, the officer will send an application in for you, for your first PR card. That will take ~61 days to arrive. This is reasonably consistent, and you can see that metric here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/ (select 'Permanent Resident Cards + No I am waiting for my first card). That's the safest and easiest bet. HOWEVER, you can leave before that time, if need be. You will need to apply outside Canada, at an embassy or visa office for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), UNLESS you are from a country where there is no visa / eTA required.

When you land, you are in this grey area, where all the visas you may have had, immediately become invalid (it's not legal for a PR to have Canadian visas -- they are not required for PR's). So, I would suggest waiting for the card. But if you cannot, there is a means to be able to return to Canada, as I said above.

So, with what I said above: if you landed in February, you could potentially return in February. This would require an additional fee for a PRTD, an additional application, and several weeks of processing time. OR, you could wait ~61 days (assuming you land February 28th; you should have your card by ~April 30th -- and don't tell @sylvain1 that I was date-mathing after 11am!).

Info on PRTD:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

@profiler - I really don't know how to thank you for all these information...
After I wake up, I will check the OHIP links there :) I will apply it, as I have meet the eligible ; thank you so much for this information, this is really helpful.. :) And yes, you are right, we are at Ontario :)

All the information you wrote, I already copied it, and I will re-read it again, specially about the PR card that you wrote there.
So, I assume it will not be a problem if I go back after few months once of course, if receive my PR. This PR is a card, or something that they will stamp on your passport? because also, I am planning to go home to renew my passport (valid till Feb'19)

Once again, thank you so so much @profiler - thank you for your time to answer all my questions and my concerns. You helping us with our concerns, and give us a good night sleep!

sweet_mahsa

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to update,

Incase anyone has had a refugee case and the CBSA held your passport.
My husbands passport was expired so once CBSA released it to CIC, they mailed it out to us to have it renewed and send them a copy. Which we have done!

They stated that they need a valid passport or travel document in order to get a PR. Which is why the passport was mailed to us. Luckily the embassy is still open in Ottawa we were able to have it all done in 2 days. Mailed out passport and renewed passport sent back the following day... although I found it quite funny the renewal process for my husbands passport was just a stamp and handwritten that this passport is renewed until 2020 on the second page.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Hey guys,

I just wanted to update,

Incase anyone has had a refugee case and the CBSA held your passport.
My husbands passport was expired so once CBSA released it to CIC, they mailed it out to us to have it renewed and send them a copy. Which we have done!

They stated that they need a valid passport or travel document in order to get a PR. Which is why the passport was mailed to us. Luckily the embassy is still open in Ottawa we were able to have it all done in 2 days. Mailed out passport and renewed passport sent back the following day... although I found it quite funny the renewal process for my husbands passport was just a stamp and handwritten that this passport is renewed until 2020 on the second page.
I would have to disagree here. They can give you a waiver. Under Public Policy. That said, I am glad this is sorted.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
@profiler - I really don't know how to thank you for all these information...
After I wake up, I will check the OHIP links there :) I will apply it, as I have meet the eligible ; thank you so much for this information, this is really helpful.. :) And yes, you are right, we are at Ontario :)
You bet! I live only 45min north of Hamilton. Either city name would have had me sure you were in the province. You'll likely land at the Niagara Falls CIC office.

So, I assume it will not be a problem if I go back after few months once of course, if receive my PR. This PR is a card, or something that they will stamp on your passport? because also, I am planning to go home to renew my passport (valid till Feb'19)
My wife landed and immediately booked a return trip to visit friends and family. Her PR card arrived at 65 days (when they had them timed at ~65 days). About a week later, she left for Moscow. Upon returning, she made an error on her declaration card (value of goods she was returning with). Not only was re-entry simple, they even helped her to fix the declaration (and didn't bother to search!). The story is offered to show, there is no issue in coming or going.

That said, you could renew your passport through an embassy/high commission -- at least, usually you can. That means, you technically could do it now, if you so wished. IF you do this, make sure you scan and send the bio page to CIC via IRCC web form (google ircc web form). Just make sure they have the new number on file before you land.

The PR is the COPR document, and a card. No real stamp (though some like to put an entry stamp for decoration in your passport -- there is nothing legal about it).

Last edited:

sweet_mahsa

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
Ontario
Category........
FAM
I would have to disagree here. They can give you a waiver. Under Public Policy. That said, I am glad this is sorted.
That is what I told them! Even my MP was involved but they said, since there was a Libyan embassy in Ottawa, and they were able to send us the passport we could get it renewed.
On that note, they did advise that if we weren’t able to get the renewal or travel document to explain to them why, with proof.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
That is what I told them! Even my MP was involved but they said, since there was a Libyan embassy in Ottawa, and they were able to send us the passport we could get it renewed.
On that note, they did advise that if we weren’t able to get the renewal or travel document to explain to them why, with proof.
Well, at least it's sorted. Do whatever you can to land!