Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
RRO said:
Finally got my OWP!!!

Am I right assuming that:
As a holder of OWP I can legally stay in Canada, leave and re-enter without temporary resident visa, since I am visa-exempt nationality with valid eTA?
Of course only as long as OWP and eTA valid (respectively till I'll hopefully receive my PR)

Thank you
The OWP does not permit you to cross a border. As long as you have a valid means of crossing the border (as you eluded to, visa-exempt countries), then you should be ok..
but note that it is not recommended that while an inland PR is in process to cross back into Canada. If CBSA decides to deny you entry, you risk your PR application being deemed abandoned.

polarvolcano

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
profiler said:
The OWP does not permit you to cross a border. As long as you have a valid means of crossing the border (as you eluded to, visa-exempt countries), then you should be ok..
but note that it is not recommended that while an inland PR is in process to cross back into Canada. If CBSA decides to deny you entry, you risk your PR application being deemed abandoned.
This is in the FAQ. There's no official recommendation either way.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=248&top=28

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
polarvolcano said:
This is in the FAQ. There's no official recommendation either way.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=248&top=28
From your link:
"If you are unable to return to Canada, we could determine that you abandoned your application. In that case, we will not process it."

It's up to you if you choose to leave. Understand the risk.

polarvolcano

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
profiler said:
From your link:
"If you are unable to return to Canada, we could determine that you abandoned your application. In that case, we will not process it."

It's up to you if you choose to leave. Understand the risk.
Ok, fine.
How about this upfront IELTS test in your profile - I'd question your lawyer's advice if that was their recommendation as well.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
polarvolcano said:
Ok, fine.
How about this upfront IELTS test in your profile - I'd question your lawyer's advice if that was their recommendation as well.
Oh? Considering my wife is Russian -- probably a good idea to include that she attended an all-english school, and a university who did the testing. No questions around her english proficiency then. IELTS is a requirement, and providing it upfront was a good idea. And no, we filed without a lawyer. We had consulted a lawyer before we started.

polarvolcano

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
profiler said:
Oh? Considering my wife is Russian -- probably a good idea to include that she attended an all-english school, and a university who did the testing. No questions around her english proficiency then. IELTS is a requirement, and providing it upfront was a good idea. And no, we filed without a lawyer. We had consulted a lawyer before we started.
None of those things matter for a spousal sponsorship PR application. They don't care about her ability to function alone in Canadian society, they only care about her relationship to you. There is no requirement for IELTS.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
polarvolcano said:
None of those things matter for a spousal sponsorship PR application. They don't care about her ability to function alone in Canadian society, they only care about her relationship to you. There is no requirement for IELTS.
Well, how else would you explain an anglophone coupling with a russophone? It wasn't a suggestion of our lawyer either. We decided to include it.

Anyway...

polarvolcano

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
profiler said:
Well, how else would you explain an anglophone coupling with a russophone? It wasn't a suggestion of our lawyer either. We decided to include it.

Anyway...

I would propose that the possibility of finding a companion who isn't from the same country as you as the main reason for this immigration class existing.

But yes, anyway...

maria_mirabela

Jul 14, 2016
Toronto
Visa Office......
Toronto
profiler said:
Hi profiler,

I assume your wife already had her IELTS, she didn't take the test specifically for this application, right? In my opinion, including a proof that she's fluent in English is a very good idea; it's one of those things they look for in the "common background" area, such as no big age gap, no big cultural gap, and so on..

On a different note, I've seen in some previous posts that your wife got a job in accounting department (please correct me if I'm wrong). I myself have a certification in accounting, but mine says that it's valid for European Union area. If your wife had hers in Russia, did she had it assessed by a Canadian institution or was it enough that she mentioned it in her resume?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
maria_mirabela said:
Hi profiler,

I assume your wife already had her IELTS, she didn't take the test specifically for this application, right? In my opinion, including a proof that she's fluent in English is a very good idea; it's one of those things they look for in the "common background" area, such as no big age gap, no big cultural gap, and so on..
She holds a Bachelors in Economics from a uni in Moscow. They did the IELTS, and yes it was already completed when we submitted. So we didn't have to pay or anything. I agree that it would be a way to show that there is in fact a common area that isn't difficult to bridge.

maria_mirabela said:
On a different note, I've seen in some previous posts that your wife got a job in accounting department (please correct me if I'm wrong). I myself have a certification in accounting, but mine says that it's valid for European Union area. If your wife had hers in Russia, did she had it assessed by a Canadian institution or was it enough that she mentioned it in her resume?
We have not worked out how to get a Canadian institution to recognise her as an associate. But it turns out that during the process I picked up employment at a well-known Canadian uni that does econ and accounting. And as part of my benefits package, she can attend any program for free. So we abandoned the idea of her becoming an associate, and for now she will work in the accounting area until her OWP study restriction is lifted and she can study. I hear it isn't terribly hard to get a Canadian uni to recognise foreign education though. You may want to call around. As always Your Mileage May Vary.

For her to find work, it was enough to list the 10 years of accounting she had already done, and her education. The hiring process did have her doing some testing, but it was pretty simple.

You can always start the CPA accreditation process too. Once you possess a CPA, you can work anywhere in the west (it seems?).

maria_mirabela

Jul 14, 2016
Toronto
Visa Office......
Toronto
profiler said:
You can always start the CPA accreditation process too. Once you possess a CPA, you can work anywhere in the west (it seems?).
Oh no, that's way out of my league... My major is in English, not accounting. I took a 2 semesters accounting course in my home country and got a certification, but that's not even close to a BA. I was just wondering if that would be of any use for me here, since it clearly states on the diploma that is a EU only certification. Anywayz, thanks a lot for the info :)

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
maria_mirabela said:
Oh no, that's way out of my league... My major is in English, not accounting. I took a 2 semesters accounting course in my home country and got a certification, but that's not even close to a BA. I was just wondering if that would be of any use for me here, since it clearly states on the diploma that is a EU only certification. Anywayz, thanks a lot for the info :)
Any time. If you wanted to use it, you could probably do bookkeeping. My wife didn't have any trouble finding work in Ontario doing accounting or bookkeeping with a Russian education. So, if you are in the Ontario region, you could always try that. If you are in other regions, I suspect the same is true...

The only reason my wife abandoned the idea of association is because she can go as high as a PhD for free. So, it made sense to just wait it out.

Benlie

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
Hi does anyone know what number is for call centre ? I can't find it anywhere on website , im a bit worried about my sponsor application process , i can't find his info to check online thanks a lot everyone

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Benlie said:
Hi does anyone know what number is for call centre ? I can't find it anywhere on website , im a bit worried about my sponsor application process , i can't find his info to check online thanks a lot everyone
888-242-2100